Some Things I Don't Think Are Problems

eulessismore

I felt moved to start this as a new thread, since it seems possible that something I posted in the "Official attendance thread" was referenced in the "How cold was it thread", since I was the only mentioning a "spouse having left to go the car", and this was mentioned as a reason to ask, (I'm paraphrasing), "What does this say about the dedication of our fan base? I did feel that perhaps I (and my wife?) had taken a shot here, but was fairly convinced of it when my friend TheTastyGreek called out the starter of that thread for attacking his friend (me, my wife?).

Anyway, if the above is the case, let me clarify to anyone a few things:

1. I decided not to respond to that thread because I felt the original poster lived in Houston, and probably would have had difficulty attending (as the thread title might indicate). I feel sympathy for anyone who would like to attend and cannot and also, who knows what anyone means or is personally going through?

2. I do not consider there to be a problem with the lack dedication among the fans. The 16,000 or so sitting through the monsoon of the Ohio game were sufficient in numbers and noise for the alumni to express their displeasure here at the students expressing themselves loudly and profanely at the game.

3. I do not consider there to be a problem with the "less than diehard" fans, of which I will classify myself, having left the Ohio game before we tied it to go into overtime due to poor preparation, leaving only one part of my body, which I will not mention, completely saturated, and having left the last game before the two final FAU kneeldowns in an attempt to avoid the fireworks, of which I am not a fan at all.

4. I do not consider there to be a problem with those who attend North Texas games who are not really North Texas football fans, or football fans period, such as my wife, who MAY have been referenced, in the "How cold was it thread". I told her about these exchanges tonight, and that I didn't really consider her a North Texas fan, since she went to BYU and would probably be more aware of what's happening football wise there, if she was a football fan. She said, in so many words, "No, I'm not going there to support North Texas football, I'm going to support you in your desire to support North Texas football, and to enjoy the band; it's nice to be at a place where the arts ARE supported". You see, my wife has performed in marching band in high school, and her heart's desire is to be able to support herself financially selling her paintings and drawings, and she is aware of the arts scene in Denton, by having participated (one year having a painting chosen as for the cover of the Denton Jazz Festival's brochure). Nor would I consider the guy who was sitting behind me (like me, a former Army paratrooper) Saturday night to be a "real" UNT football fan, as he described himself as having lived within walking distance of Fouts Field for over 30 years and this being the first game he attended there. His guest was a visitor he had from Germany who couldn't speak any English and was attending his very first football game anywhere (seemed to find it quite exciting).

Anyway, I did feel a little sting when reading the OP of the "How cold was it" thread, but going over to that "other" forum, and reading a thread about how Michael Martin Murphey (someone described as "briefly" attending UNT in some bios), perfomed at halftime of the SMU game instead of UNT, and someone else wondered if he had something against his old school, like Don Henley (who somewhere described the North Texas English Department as "wonderful"), and how the marching band hadn't arranged their program to feature Roy Orbison, since his widow was there (maybe someone hadn't told them, and like all musical ensembles they have to practice?). I realized that if my wife had been typecast into some group of "undedicated" North Texas fans, she had been put in some pretty elite company.

Anyway, I really do hope UNTLifer finds the work he needs soon, and also pray for my wife's brother, who finally found a job, which will put him in Tijuana, Mexico very shortly; a place (among other Mexican border cities) where I would personally feel unsafe. But, considering the financial problems he has been going through; maybe this will be a real break.

Anyway, I'm happy to have a wife who supports me in my passions; I try to repay it by taking her to some of the great musical performances at UNT, and to support her in whatever way I can to achieve her dream of becoming a renowned artist. Anyone who saw the Dallas Symphony Orchestra and Chorus perform Beethoven's 9th at the Murchison Performing Arts Center last Friday night knows what I mean. Hey, I heartily support the "let's enjoy football and everything surrounding it" concept; a pretty good musician, Don Henley, said "I win every time I perform".

I felt moved to start this as a new thread, since it seems possible that something I posted in the "Official attendance thread" was referenced in the "How cold was it thread", since I was the only mentioning a "spouse having left to go the car", and this was mentioned as a reason to ask, (I'm paraphrasing), "What does this say about the dedication of our fan base? I did feel that perhaps I (and my wife?) had taken a shot here, but was fairly convinced of it when my friend TheTastyGreek called out the starter of that thread for attacking his friend (me, my wife?).

Anyway, if the above is the case, let me clarify to anyone a few things:

1. I decided not to respond to that thread because I felt the original poster lived in Houston, and probably would have had difficulty attending (as the thread title might indicate). I feel sympathy for anyone who would like to attend and cannot and also, who knows what anyone means or is personally going through?

2. I do not consider there to be a problem with the lack dedication among the fans. The 16,000 or so sitting through the monsoon of the Ohio game were sufficient in numbers and noise for the alumni to express their displeasure here at the students expressing themselves loudly and profanely at the game.

3. I do not consider there to be a problem with the "less than diehard" fans, of which I will classify myself, having left the Ohio game before we tied it to go into overtime due to poor preparation, leaving only one part of my body, which I will not mention, completely saturated, and having left the last game before the two final FAU kneeldowns in an attempt to avoid the fireworks, of which I am not a fan at all.

4. I do not consider there to be a problem with those who attend North Texas games who are not really North Texas football fans, or football fans period, such as my wife, who MAY have been referenced, in the "How cold was it thread". I told her about these exchanges tonight, and that I didn't really consider her a North Texas fan, since she went to BYU and would probably be more aware of what's happening football wise there, if she was a football fan. She said, in so many words, "No, I'm not going there to support North Texas football, I'm going to support you in your desire to support North Texas football, and to enjoy the band; it's nice to be at a place where the arts ARE supported". You see, my wife has performed in marching band in high school, and her heart's desire is to be able to support herself financially selling her paintings and drawings, and she is aware of the arts scene in Denton, by having participated (one year having a painting chosen as for the cover of the Denton Jazz Festival's brochure). Nor would I consider the guy who was sitting behind me (like me, a former Army paratrooper) Saturday night to be a "real" UNT football fan, as he described himself as having lived within walking distance of Fouts Field for over 30 years and this being the first game he attended there. His guest was a visitor he had from Germany who couldn't speak any English and was attending his very first football game anywhere (seemed to find it quite exciting).

Anyway, I did feel a little sting when reading the OP of the "How cold was it" thread, but going over to that "other" forum, and reading a thread about how Michael Martin Murphey (someone described as "briefly" attending UNT in some bios), perfomed at halftime of the SMU game instead of UNT, and someone else wondered if he had something against his old school, like Don Henley (who somewhere described the North Texas English Department as "wonderful"), and how the marching band hadn't arranged their program to feature Roy Orbison, since his widow was there (maybe someone hadn't told them, and like all musical ensembles they have to practice?). I realized that if my wife had been typecast into some group of "undedicated" North Texas fans, she had been put in some pretty elite company.

Anyway, I really do hope UNTLifer finds the work he needs soon, and also pray for my wife's brother, who finally found a job, which will put him in Tijuana, Mexico very shortly; a place (among other Mexican border cities) where I would personally feel unsafe. But, considering the financial problems he has been going through; maybe this will be a real break.

Anyway, I'm happy to have a wife who supports me in my passions; I try to repay it by taking her to some of the great musical performances at UNT, and to support her in whatever way I can to achieve her dream of becoming a renowned artist. Anyone who saw the Dallas Symphony Orchestra and Chorus perform Beethoven's 9th at the Murchison Performing Arts Center last Friday night knows what I mean. Hey, I heartily support the "let's enjoy football and everything surrounding it" concept; a pretty good musician, Don Henley, said "I win every time I perform".

Attending a music/arts rich school with a great history and nationally-prominent alumni:

GOOD

Attending butt-cold, rainy football games cause you just love that school and the players that put themselves on the line for its rocky but intriguing tradition:

GREAT

Attending football games with your significant other because, although she can't get why you care so much, she gets you and wants to be there for you:

PRICELESS

[i'm married to an OU alum. She honestly cannot understand the passion for NT football I have. A quote: "You have two degrees in art/literature, why do you give a rat's a** about football?" But, Gawd Bless Her, every game we can make or see on TV, she's yelling louder and cursing more than me cause she sees how much it matters to me. The Western Kentucky game last year; for the life of her, she couldn't understand why I was so stressed during it since she had never heard of them. But, when Tobe Nwigwe intercepted that pass and ran it back, the neighbors thought she was beating me to death in the house from all the shouting. You're a lucky man.]

Attending a music/arts rich school with a great history and nationally-prominent alumni:

GOOD

Attending butt-cold, rainy football games cause you just love that school and the players that put themselves on the line for its rocky but intriguing tradition:

GREAT

Attending football games with your significant other because, although she can't get why you care so much, she gets you and wants to be there for you:

PRICELESS

[i'm married to an OU alum. She honestly cannot understand the passion for NT football I have. A quote: "You have two degrees in art/literature, why do you give a rat's a** about football?" But, Gawd Bless Her, every game we can make or see on TV, she's yelling louder and cursing more than me cause she sees how much it matters to me. The Western Kentucky game last year; for the life of her, she couldn't understand why I was so stressed during it since she had never heard of them. But, when Tobe Nwigwe intercepted that pass and ran it back, the neighbors thought she was beating me to death in the house from all the shouting. You're a lucky man.]

Your avatar is just flat out wrong, my man.

My apologies if someone felt I was pointing the finger. That was not my intent in starting that thread. My sister was texting me updates throughout the game and mentioned she had left because it was cold. Now, I did take a shot at her since she lived north of Chicago for a couple of years. I didn't think to ask her how cold it was at the time, so I asked in that thread.

My comments are based upon the fact that a large portion of our fanbase will not stick it out in unpleasant weather. People complain about rain, not being able to bring in umbrellas, cold, heat, games around holidays, NASCAR races, Texas/OU weekend, etc... I guess I watch games on television at other schools and typically see a full house regardless of the weather. I also realize that many of these schools have, what is considered, better football traditions than we do. Guess I just wish we had faithful fans like those in Michigan that will sit through a blizzard or any SEC school that will endure torrential rain just to see their team play.

Again, my apologies if it appeared I was taking a shot, whether directly or indirectly, at one of our board posters. That was not the case.

Guess I just wish we had faithful fans like those in Michigan that will sit through a blizzard or any SEC school that will endure torrential rain just to see their team play.

I wish we had a sellout every home game for the last 25 years, but since we have historically drawn somehwere below your typical suburban texas HS on a Friday night, expecting our fanbase to fight through anything is probably not in your best interest. But, since we are making wishes, I will say that I wish we played in the Big XII, that it never rained on gamedays in Denton, and that the temperature was always a balmy 78 degrees!! When all three of these occur, I will believe that our fanbase will be as "faithful' as Michigan and any SEC school.

My apologies if someone felt I was pointing the finger. That was not my intent in starting that thread. My sister was texting me updates throughout the game and mentioned she had left because it was cold. Now, I did take a shot at her since she lived north of Chicago for a couple of years. I didn't think to ask her how cold it was at the time, so I asked in that thread.

My comments are based upon the fact that a large portion of our fanbase will not stick it out in unpleasant weather. People complain about rain, not being able to bring in umbrellas, cold, heat, games around holidays, NASCAR races, Texas/OU weekend, etc... I guess I watch games on television at other schools and typically see a full house regardless of the weather. I also realize that many of these schools have, what is considered, better football traditions than we do. Guess I just wish we had faithful fans like those in Michigan that will sit through a blizzard or any SEC school that will endure torrential rain just to see their team play.

Again, my apologies if it appeared I was taking a shot, whether directly or indirectly, at one of our board posters. That was not the case.

I think we do have those type of fans, we just don't have nearly as many as those above mentioned schools. I would have guessed there to have been close to 15,000 people at the Ohio game till the bitter end and that day was a driving rain virtually the entire game. Last week's game most didn't leave until late in the fourth quarter. I would say that is a pretty good amount of people staying for a team that is 4-26. I wonder how many people would sit through a blizzard to watch a probable defeat at Michigan when the team is a 4-26 in their last 30 games?

Probably never will know though since Michigan wouldn't put up with that.

rain or shine, our average home attendance since 1997 is 15,000, who are our core fans. pitifull support .

Our average has continued to climb, we were pretty light when I bought my season tickets in 02. Several games were around 10,000, now most are over 20,000.

How do you feel about mine?

Probably not as bad as mine. One should never mock His Chuckness. In my defense, I've been waging a one-man internet campaign to get Mr. T (re)cast as BA Baracus in the upcoming A Team movie. He is not too old; he still has it; pittying, meet fools. I thought the tender embrace of His Chuckness could have put T over the top. Looks like I lost in my crusade.

Probably not as bad as mine. One should never mock His Chuckness. In my defense, I've been waging a one-man internet campaign to get Mr. T (re)cast as BA Baracus in the upcoming A Team movie. He is not too old; he still has it; pittying, meet fools. I thought the tender embrace of His Chuckness could have put T over the top. Looks like I lost in my crusade.

I really only think you lost Got5onIt, but I'm not sure you ever really had him anyway.

Edited by eulessismore

Our average has continued to climb, we were pretty light when I bought my season tickets in 02. Several games were around 10,000, now most are over 20,000.

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!!!

P2_g_fea_EORadio_Corso1.jpg

There are more home games left this season that are not homecoming or parent's day. Also that pesky 1-5 record. Let's see where we end up.

don't have 08#'s, but 07 was 17,734; 06 was 15,685; 05 was 16,446. most game attendance is not even close to 20,000, including saturdays homecoming game announced at 23,000. there were aprox, 16,000 in stands, rest never made it out of tailgateing parties.

don't have 08#'s, but 07 was 17,734; 06 was 15,685; 05 was 16,446. most game attendance is not even close to 20,000, including saturdays homecoming game announced at 23,000. there were aprox, 16,000 in stands, rest never made it out of tailgateing parties.

You are correct about previous years. But as was pointed out in other threads, a lot of people came and went during the game so there actually were 23000 tickets scanned.

You honestly think we should have a sell out for every home game for a program that's won exactly 4 home games the past 5 years?

The very fact that we even whispered 23,000 tickets sold this past weekend is a massive step in the right direction for this program.

Rick

And when looking at average attendance the past three seasons I believe you're figuring in only 5 home games and one of those being the Saturday of Thanksgiving. The games following Thanksgiving (one of them was a down pour) have always had miserable attendance and would significantly lower our season average.

And when looking at average attendance the past three seasons I believe you're figuring in only 5 home games and one of those being the Saturday of Thanksgiving. The games following Thanksgiving (one of them was a down pour) have always had miserable attendance and would significantly lower our season average.

the number of honegames we play has nothing to do with average. neither does when we play them. other schools play friday after thanksgiving, and have more butts in the seats than empty benches. point is from 1997 thru 2007 our average home attendance was 15,000+, which is pisspoor.

You honestly think we should have a sell out for every home game for a program that's won exactly 4 home games the past 5 years?

The very fact that we even whispered 23,000 tickets sold this past weekend is a massive step in the right direction for this program.

Rick

we won sunbelt championships and went to new orleans bowl 2001,02,03,04. average home attendance for those years was 14,769;15,260; 18,694[baylor game drew 29,437], and 15,184. we have won 8 games 05 thru 08, and attendance has increased about 1,000 per game up to 16,000+. it might be who we play as much as how we play. go figure.

the number of honegames we play has nothing to do with average. neither does when we play them. other schools play friday after thanksgiving, and have more butts in the seats than empty benches. point is from 1997 thru 2007 our average home attendance was 15,000+, which is pisspoor.

If by other schools you're talking about a&m/texas i think it's absurd to compare our fan base to theirs. our fans don't need reasons like Thankgiving/Rain/Wind to keep them from the game. So add those things and there's no way they show up. But trying to knock our fans because they aren't as diehard as some of the powerhouse schools mentioned isn't fair.

I think their counting has been a little different over the years, because in the 90s and then when I bought season tickets in 02 the stadium was sometimes lucky to have 8000 or 9000. I can feel safe to say there are many more people here lately. Minus the crappy after thanksgiving games, I know several that can't make it then. The near freezing and raining Saturday after Thanksgiving was killed us, I am usually hunting that weekend, but even those I knew that planned to go that day did not. Only a handful of die hards. And they still count season ticket holders.

we have won 8 games 05 thru 08

Not at home though.

http://www.meangreensports.com/SportSelect...p;Q_SEASON=2009

We beat SMU and FIU in '06, and ULM and WKyJelly in '07. We did not win a home game in '05 or in '08 and we are currently 0-3 in '09. Of course you live in New Mexico so I don't expect you to have been able to keep up with and realize the increase in home attendance since Coach Dodge's arrival, or have witnessed in person our 4-20 home record since the end of the '04 season or the 11 losses of 8 points or less that came with it?

Overall, we are 8-45 the past 4 1/2 years. And like I stated above, those of us who pack our kids up and all the tailgating equipment and talk other family and friends in giving up their saturday evenings to see exactly 4 wins the past 24 trips to Denton, which comes to about 3600 miles of driving for me and I'm sure others here have logged much more during the same time..

Given that, the very fact that we have had more than 1000 people show up at Fouts at each of the past 24 home games is again, amazing.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick