Official Attendance

UNTflyer

I don't think so...the alumni area was in pretty good shape...props to the students who left at half-time, but did seem to filter back in for the 3rd Qtr. But, lots of open spaces on BOTH sides and the end-zones...time to fill the place up.....

My HSO: the alumni side attendance was pathetic. It looked like one of our 3 win Big West seasons on that side.

The crowd was a little strange over on the north edge of section E. A group of four season ticket holders made it for their first game of the season last night, but when we went down 21 to 19, they moved to the deck and didn't return. Another group of about 8 who sit in front of me, around row 14 or so, have a kid and/or friend in the band or dance team as they showed up at just before half time and left right after. I heard a lot of wives and/or girl friends complaining about the cold as they left.

THere were lots of open spaces at any given time, but most were occupied at least some of the time.

I did see several recruits (wearing the paper name badges that are printed so small anyone with over 40 eyes couldn't possibly read them. There was one kid I did feel sorry for as he was in a tshirt and jeans with flip-flops and kept going to get cocoa. I think he was freezing. There was another in possible recruit - I didn't see a name tag on him, but it could have been under his jacket - who was wearing a Ponder letter jacket and had the name Miller on the back of it.

Edited by VideoEagle

The crowd was a little strange over on the north edge of section E. A group of four season ticket holders made it for their first game of the season last night, but when we went down 21 to 19, they moved to the deck and didn't return. Another group of about 8 who sit in front of me, around row 14 or so, have a kid and/or friend in the band or dance team as they showed up at just before half time and left right after. I heard a lot of wives and/or girl friends complaining about the cold as they left.

THere were lots of open spaces at any given time, but most were occupied at least some of the time.

I did see several recruits (wearing the paper name badges that are printed so small anyone with over 40 eyes couldn't possibly read them. There was one kid I did feel sorry for as he was in a tshirt and jeans with flip-flops and kept going to get cocoa. I think he was freezing. There was another in possible recruit - I didn't see a name tag on him, but it could have been under his jacket - who was wearing a Ponder letter jacket and had the name Miller on the back of it.

I am in D and I fully agree we had people that floated in and out until the half then done. I also think the cool air had lots of people moving around, under the grandstands it always seemed busy.

I would go with the 23,319 pretty easily, the deck looked jammed at one point.

I don't think so...the alumni area was in pretty good shape...props to the students who left at half-time, but did seem to filter back in for the 3rd Qtr. But, lots of open spaces on BOTH sides and the end-zones...time to fill the place up.....

From the field, I can turn my head one way and see the entire alumni side, I can turn it the other and see the student side, pretty easy comparison.

If the student side looked vacant from the alumni side, well the alumni side looked a lot more vacant from the field.

In fact, I haven't seen the alumni side that empty in years.

To be fair, maybe everyone was over on the deck drinking.

I am in D and I fully agree we had people that floated in and out until the half then done. I also think the cool air had lots of people moving around, under the grandstands it always seemed busy.

I would go with the 23,319 pretty easily, the deck looked jammed at one point.

I think I saw your tailgate shirt, and I think we were sitting two or three rows behind your group last night. If you had someone in your group teasing a woman that drove up from San Antonio, then I'm sure of it.

I think I saw your tailgate shirt, and I think we were sitting two or three rows behind your group last night. If you had someone in your group teasing a woman that drove up from San Antonio, then I'm sure of it.

Yeah that would be us, it took her like 7 hours to get to Denton from San Antonio and she was rooting for FAU to get more grief. Her husband John the master of the Cuban sandwich graduated from FAU, but he remained Neutral, he told me he did not care they did not have football at all when he went there. But he does buy season tickets with us and comes with me to every game, his wife Robin is an Aggie so what can you expect. We have known her for over 25 years, and to top her off she is an Ursuline grad as well.

He did decide on Cuban Sandwiches yesterday because of the his time at FAU, it was his dedication to his school.

We had a fun day, we always do, I just wish we had walked off with the win!

Not to beat a dead horse, but... You draw 23,000 to see a 4-34 team over the last 3 1/2 years. If you win, you will easily draw another 8 to 10K, making a 30K stadium obsolete when it opens. Of course, that's if you win, which I am beginning to think will never happen again.

So bitter.

I think one reason "most GMG posters" don't acknowledge the difference in student enrollment between the two schools is that the city of FW is much larger in population than Denton. Also, in relative terms, FW (especially the wealthy Paschal, Colonial, etc neighborhoods) EMBRACE their University unlike the way many in Denton view its Universities.

I predicted 24,000 before I went in based on the high numbers of fans tailgating and difficulites I heard about from friends trying to park.

When I got to my seat, I dropped my prediction to 20,000. The family zone section was fairly empty, maybe because the barrage of bird caca that must have been deposited sometime Thursday night or Friday.

If the numbers hold up, that crowd last night ranks as #5 all time at Fouts.

I would have guessed the 1990 SMU game, pre-stadium expansion, had more people than last night. I recall vividly, as I looked down at the student side entrances from the top row, that it was totally packed on the student side and still hundreds of people working there way into the stadium mid-1Q (late arrivers: some things never change).

GMG

Guest GrayEagleOne

I think that we may have taken a page from SMU's text and counted tickets sold not BIS. But I've got to wonder why there would be no-shows on such a beautiful day.

I think that we may have taken a page from SMU's text and counted tickets sold not BIS. But I've got to wonder why there would be no-shows on such a beautiful day.

Buddy from where I sit in Section E....you could see over in the tailgating area. (that gap in the stands around where the visiting team comes out). Anyway, there were tents set up that I could see.....and I bet there were hundreds tailgating in that one area...way after the game had started. Finally about 8:30 or so........the lights were turned off out there.

My question: Why don't we turn off the lights out there......right about game time (on a night game). That might encourage some of those folks to come into the stadium.

In order to have over 23,000 people in attendance you would have to have the student side completely full (it wasn't) plus the alumni side completly full (it certainly wasn't) plus an additional 3,000 people in the end zone seats (I doubt it). We sit above the walkway in Section E and there were LOTS of season ticket holders who are almost always present who were absent last night. I guess those were counted as being present since the tickets were sold. I hope it was just conflicts in schedules instead of a lack of interest in the game.

In order to have over 23,000 people in attendance you would have to have the student side completely full (it wasn't) plus the alumni side completly full (it certainly wasn't) plus an additional 3,000 people in the end zone seats (I doubt it). We sit above the walkway in Section E and there were LOTS of season ticket holders who are almost always present who were absent last night. I guess those were counted as being present since the tickets were sold. I hope it was just conflicts in schedules instead of a lack of interest in the game.

Your assumption is that everyone is in their seats at one time, last night with the cold and the outstanding tailgating people were wandering all around and filtered in late. The Deck was jammed early in the first half, many people just made an appearance, others left because of the cold and others were staying warm under the grandstands. I did see more then usual in the end zones last night.

I'm not sure what some of you were looking at last night or when, but when I finally arrived midway through the first quarter, both sides looked quite full. I thought the press box side had more fans. But, I couldn't believe just how many people were still tailgating in the parking lot. Also they had huge tents with large crowds in them. I saw this when I was walking from the Super Pit all the way over to the press box side. It was a wonderful day, but the game started as night was falling. The nice day turned into a cold game night.

Edited by gruu

I was tailgating right in the middle of the orange lot yesterday and had a chance to talk to several people I just met. Out of the 10 or so people I talked to, not one person was actually going to the game. I actually convinced 2 people to go to the game, but other than that everyone else just stayed out there. Tailgating is great for getting people out there, but if were not winning its hard to get people in the game.

UNT has an enrollment of about 36K and TCU has about 9K. That is a huge difference. Why does this always get overlooked by many GMG posters?

It's not overlooked by me at all and if you had been going to games at TCU and North Texas dating back to the Wacker and Nelson day's you would understand a bit of my point, which it:

They have spent MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of dollars on their program, facilities and staff and in advertising telling everyone in and among a half million plus population city that they are THEIR HOME TEAM. They have a history with the SWC and regularly hosted Texas, Texas A&M and Arkansas and the likes for years. They now regularly bring in BYU, Utah, Air Force to name a few. They are undefeated, have been in the top 10, will end there before it's over with and may make a BCS bowl. Yet here they are atop the college football world and very few still seem to care in the region, and they may just be the best team in Texas right now and not outdrawing one of the worst teams in Texas just up the road by all that much.

I guess my overall point is, give us some wins and we would easily be right there with them.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick