I'm Done

UNTflyer

You can compare the two all you want. If you come to the conclusion that they're anywhere near each other in ability you're a football moron.

Soo, we let a a consensus "crappier" coach run the NT football program?? Where's the sense in that??

I agree with you 100%. The point here is that they are NOT anywhere close in ability. The real MORONS are those that support him knowing this.

Edited by Got5onIt

Forget about firing TD. He will be here through next year even if we go 1-11. On the other hand, I do think that his learning curve has about run out. Play calling and overall decision making is terrible for this level, and I think that it is time to finally purge the last vestiges of SLC from this program other than TD/RD and other SLC players. This thing started out as "SL College", and it's time for us to return to being the University of North Texas. I do still believe, mainly because I believe that TD can/will be a great recruiter, but he still needs to find a way to do things correctly on game day ASAP. We shall see.

Rudy, not jumping on board with your concept one way or the other, but I did just get a laugh recalling how someone of THAT board was telling someone who mentioned UNT and Dodge's win at Ball State words to the effect "you still have a hard weenie for Dodge". Hope that's not being too crude. Just thinking about how deja vu things can seem at times.

I think most here want Todge to succeed, but we are realistic. We want him to, but we arent sure if he can. We do see the improvment in the team, but still see us making bad mistakes. No matter what, we still support the Mean Green.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Dodge should be put on notice that the wins must come this year. A 1-11 record is unacceptable to retain what fan base we have. I like the guy but it's time to put up. Right now, he doesn't seem to know how to win at this level.

If the OC is calling the plays then Dodge needs to take over immediately because his future depends on it. Players have to be coached out of goofy penalties in crucial situations. There has been improvement but mere improvement is still unacceptable. I will say that thanks to recruiting and coaching changes we have bona fide Division 1A talent on this team and now's the time to show it. Every UL score was an offensive mistake (interceptions, fumble) or from a drive kept alive by a defensive penalty on a fourth down play. Two of the three came from our better, experienced players.

Maybe the wins are right around the corner but until we see some we don't know if this staff is capable of producing them or not.

Dodge should be put on notice that the wins must come this year. A 1-11 record is unacceptable to retain what fan base we have. I like the guy but it's time to put up. Right now, he doesn't seem to know how to win at this level.

If the OC is calling the plays then Dodge needs to take over immediately because his future depends on it. Players have to be coached out of goofy penalties in crucial situations. There has been improvement but mere improvement is still unacceptable. I will say that thanks to recruiting and coaching changes we have bona fide Division 1A talent on this team and now's the time to show it. Every UL score was an offensive mistake (interceptions, fumble) or from a drive kept alive by a defensive penalty on a fourth down play. Two of the three came from our better, experienced players.

Maybe the wins are right around the corner but until we see some we don't know if this staff is capable of producing them or not.

My sentiments, exactly.

Well, that game was a complete burning sensation.

I’ll just post some random thoughts because I’m too lazy to go over a blow-by-blow critique after that joy-killer.

I have to agree with much of what TFLF and Tasty have posted in this thread, however, I have differing opinions on a few items. I think that the offensive line is playing very very well, and is now back to a level to where they can not only compete, but be dominating in some games. The defensive line is holding their own and having success as well, although it’s still a work in progress. Let’s face it; UNT has been playing catch up personnel wise from strength and conditioning, depth, and talent standpoint for over 4 years on both lines.

The running game is solid. No bones about it. It’s dangerous, and is functioning even with different backs in there, which is a great sign. Talent level is up. There is marginal depth.

The OC took some shots down the field Saturday. I differ here with Finch in that I personally don’t believe that RD has to have a great arm or a 50 yard deep ball to make this offense work. He has to be able to throw the 25-30 yard out and crossing patterns in order to be successful, however. The way that offense works depends on YAC’s. If he can get a bomb or two downfield every game to make secondaries respect that pass, so be it, but it’s not essential for success in this offense.

What Riley obviously has to do is realize he isn’t facing 5A defensive backs, and cannot lock on to a target in front of a Junior or Senior defensive back, or he will be chasing the guy down the field. He cannot continue to make those mistakes; however, I would be more irritated if it was not the 5th game at the position for a D1 freshman. Painful to see, though. That said, Riley Dodge is a playmaker, and absolutely the QB you want on the field.

Felt terrible for UNT’s freshman punter on the absolutely-have-to-have-it punt at the end of the game. That’s really all that needs to be said.

Critical mistake on fourth down to extend the game winning drive. I’m stating the obvious, but you cannot, as a visiting team, with time running out, put yourself in a position to draw a foul on that play. You simply cannot do it. 10-12 penalties per game is unacceptable under any circumstances. Repeated fouls on fourth down are not just game changing, but potentially morale crushing for the rest of the season.

I thought overall, Ford called a pretty good game. Tasty is big on scoring a minimum of 30 points per game. I personally think this is a bit overblown; however, my rule of thumb is that if you score 30 or more points, you should win the ballgame. There have already been two games where this has happened but UNT has lost. Both have been due to turnovers or critical breakdowns on defense or special teams, or mental errors.

I thought the defense played well enough in general to win the ballgame. However, the mental errors have to stop, and you have to find a way to stop that final drive. You do that with a more effective pass rush, and that comes with more depth.

Boiling it down, if RD doesn’t throw the pick 6, you probably win the ballgame. If Attebury kicks like he’s kicked most of the year, the Peppers have to go the length of the field, and your defense probably holds and you win the ballgame. If the punt isn’t blocked and returned for a TD, you probably win the ballgame. If you let the pass go over the receiver’s head on fourth down, you probably win the ballgame. The point is, there’s a lot of “if’s” there. Enough to go around for every part of the team. Blaming one player or another is a fool's game.

It’s frustrating right now, but UNT is so much better this year that it’s night and day. This team reminds me (and perhaps others too) of the 1990 Dallas Cowboys team. Hopefully, its success is on the same schedule.

The OC took some shots down the field Saturday. I differ here with Finch in that I personally don’t believe that RD has to have a great arm or a 50 yard deep ball to make this offense work. He has to be able to throw the 25-30 yard out and crossing patterns in order to be successful, however. The way that offense works depends on YAC’s. If he can get a bomb or two downfield every game to make secondaries respect that pass, so be it, but it’s not essential for success in this offense.

Don't you mean 15yd out??? The 15yd out is one of the hardest throws to make at any level. Gotta have the arm strength to do so. I think Riley is a helluva QB and will develop into an excellent player with the right coach. But if you've watched the last 5 games, you know his arm is average at best. Now Tune does have a gun.....

Edited by Got5onIt

Don't you mean 15yd out??? The 15yd out is one of the hardest throws to make at any level. Gotta have the arm strength to do so. I think Riley is a helluva QB and will develop into an excellent player with the right coach.

I think Riley is strong enough to make that throw. What I meant by the distance was that Riley has to be able to put the ball in the air for at least 25-30 yards and get it there quickly, because those pass plays cover that much ground from the QB's hand to the receiver. Here's what Bill Belichek says about it:

"To throw a 15-yard pass on the sideline, you need a really good throw. You need good timing. You need a good route. It's a longer play than throwing a 15-yard route inside. You have to throw it a lot further. You take a lot more risk by throwing the ball, whatever it is, 50 or 60 yards out there for 15-yard gain as opposed to maybe 20 yards over the middle for 15-yard gain. It's just a little harder to execute."

Wow - how did I miss EE's gem of a post earlier? I'm trying to figure out what was meant, so i'll just try to decipher line-by-line. If any of you folks speak this brand of euless slang (some kids call it un-jive), I'd appreciate the help.

The past two seasons some of the fire TD crew whined about the massive amount of points that were scored against the reminence of coach DD.

As far as I can tell...he thinks people were mad at Mendoza's defense last year because of...Dickey's corpse?

Bottom of the barrel in "O" and "D" for the last two gave plenty of you ammo for your scathing hyperbole.

Yes - the D was quite a source of frustration before this year. Then they made these wholesale changes and we're #1 in the conference at it. I'm really excited about that fact and I figure most fans would be. Great work, Gary! Also, damn everyone who has ever exaggerated anything. Hey, who wants to talk about the president some more?

Now NT lost to Ohio by "ONE" and lost by "FOUR" in the last seconds to lala.

Yes - it's immediate progress. We're all happy about this!

NT's "O" is immensley improved ..... probably in the 70's range in offense and the "D" probably higher.

Last year we average 363 ypg; 236 passing and 127 rushing. We scored 20 ppg.

This year, we average 383 ypg; 210 passing and 173 rushing. We score 22.4 ppg.

And, to be clear, in your brain, this is a big a jump as the D has taken? Well, I mean I guess the D is probably higher, but it seems like it's a toss up.

Redshirt RD is doing and learning the curve and IMHO is doing a great job. Yea, he makes freshman mistakes....so what.....???? does anyone expect him to play like a junior or senior??? Coach Dodge has brought in some fantastic talent and they are, now begining to pay off.

This is a good and valid point.

Some of the fire TD crowd will never be satisfied no matter what type of team NT fields.

Who wouldn't be satisfied right now if we were 4-1? Even TFLF is on here defending TD, so who has declared scorched earth on a good man even if he produces results?

One satisfying fact is that there are way more supporters of TD than the fire TD knee jerkers.

There's about 30 people who post regularly on this board. That means, at any given moment, you could poll a crowd in the union courtyard or a PSYC 1000 class and get a better sense of what TDs support level is.

If you want something fast go to Burger King's drive through

LIES! My order took forever last time I ate there. The guy on the chicken fry grill fell asleep in the restroom.

unfortunately, recruiting, rebuilding and winning takes a little longer than the length of time than coach TD has been here.

It is unfortunate - we agree again!

Heck, I wish NT/RV could give him a contract extention and raise after this year.....because he deserves it.

Why? No mocking - as an employee of a large company currently under a pay freeze, I really want to know your reason(s).

WOW...while I admit to not reading the entire thread...too long to read every post...I do find it hard to believe that some call for Dodge to be fired while others want Riley benched. I didn't think Riley was on the field when ULL marched down for the winning score. here we have a red shirt freshman who some want to play like Bradford and Tebow. A bit unrealistic in my opinion.

And, fire Dodge???? I thought what was wanted was improvement (sure along with a few more wins too)...can some not see improvement? Interesting....If one could "coach" away stupid mistakes you could be "Coach of the Year" forever...even those things happen with the Cowboys...did you see the game Sunday against KC???? And, how about New Eng. losing to Denver...want to fire Belichick? (is that how you spell his name?). OK, I know, winning records make up for a lot and Dodge has yet to get his D1 winning record going, but the reality is...for those who can see it...much progress has been made...you can discount the "young team" stuff all you want, but experience also will help this team. And, experience is being game with every game.

See you at homecoming. GO MEAN GREEN!

WOW...while I admit to not reading the entire thread...too long to read every post...I do find it hard to believe that some call for Dodge to be fired while others want Riley benched. I didn't think Riley was on the field when ULL marched down for the winning score. here we have a red shirt freshman who some want to play like Bradford and Tebow. A bit unrealistic in my opinion.

And, fire Dodge???? I thought what was wanted was improvement (sure along with a few more wins too)...can some not see improvement? Interesting....If one could "coach" away stupid mistakes you could be "Coach of the Year" forever...even those things happen with the Cowboys...did you see the game Sunday against KC???? And, how about New Eng. losing to Denver...want to fire Belichick? (is that how you spell his name?). OK, I know, winning records make up for a lot and Dodge has yet to get his D1 winning record going, but the reality is...for those who can see it...much progress has been made...you can discount the "young team" stuff all you want, but experience also will help this team. And, experience is being game with every game.

KRAM - why did you have to bring Wade Phillips into this?

Wade and Romo are off the board folks. Now, who's our Igor Olshansky?

I can almost assure you, that if Phillips doesn't win a playoff game this year or get into the playoffs for that matter, he will be let go after this his third year.

Phillips came in with a a talented well built franchise, Dodge did not...Wade has digressed in each year...There is progression this year after the setback of last year.

And Dodge hasn't gotten his new stadium yet...That's got to count for something right?

Back to The Topic of the Thread: We're more competitive with more talent than anytime I can remember. You can "coach up" mistakes, you can't "coach up" talent. We've got playmakers on both sides of the ball, they just have to settle down a little bit and play within themselves. We play just a bit little smarter football and we could string some W's together...

I can almost assure you, that if Phillips doesn't win a playoff game this year or get into the playoffs for that matter, he will be let go after this his third year.

Short of winning the Super Bowl and even then I think he is gone, right now he is a just a seat holder for the next coach, who I think was at one time supposed to be Jason Garrett. But now I think we are talking about Cowher or Shanahan, maybe Gruden.

Short of winning the Super Bowl and even then I think he is gone, right now he is a just a seat holder for the next coach, who I think was at one time supposed to be Jason Garrett. But now I think we are talking about Cowher or Shanahan, maybe Gruden.

Cowher goes to Carolina. That is where he lives now, and has a daughter in high school + he will get full control there, won't happen here in Dallas. Shanahan is the most likely because he and Jones are friends, and Pat Bowlen is not exactly a hands off owner, so it won't be that big of a deal for him to have Jones looking over his shoulder. Plus, Shanahan would be the best quarterback coach of the 3. I don't think Gruden because he has already experienced a similar hands on owner when he was with the Raiders.

Thread Hijack :clapping::thumbsup:

This school can not afford to let Dodge go, because of his contract and because NT has so much riding on his son Riley....

So Dodge should stay to finish out his contract and see where Riley is at after next year. If Didge is let go, Riley goes with him, sorry guys....

Seriously what are you saying?

This school can not afford to let Dodge go, because of his contract and because NT has so much riding on his son Riley....

So Dodge should stay to finish out his contract and see where Riley is at after next year. If Didge is let go, Riley goes with him, sorry guys....

Dodge could lose out this year and he is still back for next season and if he were to win at least 4 in his fourth he would be back for a 5th.