Unt Lands Transfer

Brett Vito

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious, though it is more of a curiousity than anything - We love getting transfers in regardless of why they left, but Vizza is a jerk and we don't want him since he decided to transfer from us?

I have never said much about Vizza's transfer, other than it was a strange decision on his part. However, I think most see the different in someone transferring who has basically never played versus a player who was your starter for two years. However, no matter what the player's status, coaches are going to do what is best for their program. NT wasn't too happy with Oklahoma State taking Jason Miller; who was a starter for NT basketball but OSU apparently didn't care about NT's objections. In the case of Cole and Stradfod, I don't think either OU or OSU really cared. My guess is OSU is probably ok with the transfer because they feel Cole will never fully recover from his injury and it frees up a ship.

Yeah, yeah, I suck and I'm a terrible fan.

But I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering... So does anyone who knows more about Cole than I do have any insights?

I haven't any insight, but if it makes you feel any better, I had the exact same conversation with one UNT_SIG earlier today regarding what happens if this season tanks. In that scenario, I assume Riley transfers to Texas and finishes there, while we are left grasping for BCS assistant coaches who could probably pull a decent frosh if needed. So you know, it's a wash. Though I- and I say this without empirical evidence upon with to base this claim- suspect we see marked improvement in the team this year and needn't worry about it.

Either way, good pick up- even if they guy is a QUITTER.

A 5.9 ranking?!?

Just to clarify:

Cole was OSU's 3rd highest recruit that year behind stud DE Richeti Jones and some other WR by the name of Dez Bryant who were both 4* recruits and ranked .1 better at a 6.0

This is huge. He will be a playmaker for this offense! This team is starting to get some serious talent for the upcoming season.

I remember reading on 5atexasfootball awhile ago that he was unhappy over playing time, factor that with blowing out a knee and you have someone who is ready to head home.

I remember watching this kid on TV a couple of times. Amazing moves. But really not a throwing QB from what I recall. Probably more like Hamilton, Mayberry, etc. Run first and pass second. This offense, despite its use of the run, really does rely on quick, accurate throws. Cole will make a great addition to this team. But perhaps no better a QB prospect that the other 8 or so high school QBs we have on the roster.

He would make a dangerous WR, but don't discount him ending up on defense either.

Thank you, sir, for your informative answer, and also for understanding the spirit in which the question was asked.

You will be missed at 5 out of 6 games this year. Happy for you, of course... But I (and the aspiring Mrs., who was quite unhappy to hear you wouldn't be around this year) am sad you won't be around like you used to be.

Why would you add a 4-star wide-out, who will presumably be the highest rated guy on the roster (assuming we are lending credence to the rating system), then change his position?

Because it's the week before the season begins and asking pointless questions is fun!!1!!

Edited by Green P1

I've been out all day, so I'm just now seeing the good news. This is a great get for Coach Dodge...in fact, I give him a free pass on year three based on this pick up!! Just kidding, of course, but getting William Cole is really impressive and I can't wait to see him and Stradford on the field at the same time. Hopefully, we'll get Mayberry back next year too, although he'll probably redshirt his first season. It really sucks that Cole will only have two seasons of eligibility left, considering he sat out the entire season last year. The good news is that the extra year should really give his ACL enough time to heal completely. Welcome aboard William, we're really excited to have you here.

Well, if you watch the highlights of him running with the ball, you would see why. He was a running quarterback in high school, recruited as an athlete, and apparently couldn't get playing time as a wide out at OSU. Using him as a scat back in this offense is almost the same as a receiver, except it lets him gets some carries in the running game. Surely you would want your best athlete on the field (which everyone is acting like this guy will be) to have as many touches as possible in as many different ways as possible, No?

Like college players never change positions.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Well, if you watch the highlights of him running with the ball, you would see why. He was a running quarterback in high school, recruited as an athlete, and apparently couldn't get playing time as a wide out at OSU. Using him as a scat back in this offense is almost the same as a receiver, except it lets him gets some carries in the running game. Surely you would want your best athlete on the field (which everyone is acting like this guy will be) to have as many touches as possible in as many different ways as possible, No?

Like college players never change positions.

I'm not sure what you mean by scatback. He's not big enough to take the pounding of a running back but he could play wide receiver right away. From what I can find he has very good speed, good hands, and is magic with the ball. I think size is keeping his former teammate, James Hamilton, off of the field. He won't nudge Montgomery, Dunbar, Mosley, or Mathis because they are as fast and weigh more. Cole could be the scatback that you mention but to me, that needs to be as a receiver; otherwise, he would only play in certain formations.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

He only played in 6 games in the '07 season and none in '08. So if he sat the '08 season out as a medical redshirt(I assume he did anyway's?), why does the transfer year count against him?

Rick

Because he's had a redshirt year. He can't play in '09 due to transfer rules, and he can't redshirt again for any non-medical reason. This year counts as one of his remaining 3 years of eligibility; he doesn't get an optional redshirt year just because there was a medical reason for his previous redshirt.

If any of our players who've had a medical redshirt decide to transfer to another 1-A school, they'd have to sit out a year and lose the year of eligibility, too.

EDIT: Realized I may not have answered what you meant when you asked the question.

He didn't transfer until now. Even though he's gone a year without playing due to the medical redshirt, he hasn't sat out due to the transfer. When he missed last year, he did it as an OSU student. If he'd decided to leave OSU last September, he'd be eligible now.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

Because he's had a redshirt year. He can't play in '09 due to transfer rules, and he can't redshirt again for any non-medical reason. This year counts as one of his remaining 3 years of eligibility; he doesn't get an optional redshirt year just because there was a medical reason for his previous redshirt.

If any of our players who've had a medical redshirt decide to transfer to another 1-A school, they'd have to sit out a year and lose the year of eligibility, too.

EDIT: Realized I may not have answered what you meant when you asked the question.

He didn't transfer until now. Even though he's gone a year without playing due to the medical redshirt, he hasn't sat out due to the transfer. When he missed last year, he did it as an OSU student. If he'd decided to leave OSU last September, he'd be eligible now.

kinda sucks.

To follow up on my previous comments. Here are some state title game highlights. Title game MVP with 290 rushing yards, only 70 passing.

He is number 1 in the black uniforms. Think Freshman/Sophmore year Vince Young (without the 6-4 size).

Assuming Cole is healthy, this is a BIG deal.

Watching that video, I thought I was watching the ghost of Jamario Thomas. WOW...

Stillwater, Oklahoma........Not exactly the garden spot of the Sooner state.

Stillwater, Oklahoma...a small town that LOVES...absolutely LOVES the local University and all things OSU. A town that turned out over 7000 (population54,000) for this year's fan appreciation day and that sells 40,000+ tickets to each home game a town that had over 300 show up for the first practice in pads (I was there, so I saw the crowd 1st hand). And, by the way, there is NO garden spot in all of Oklahoma!

If only Denton would support the Mean Green to half the extent Stillwater does its Cowboys! Ever been to Stillwater on Game Day? It's the type of atmosphere that i think denton should have...businesses flying OSU flags, windows painted, people all over campus, people packed into all the OSU campus shops and restaurants, etc., etc. And, by the way, the hotels/motels are packed...seems a good tax revenue day to me for Denton to consider.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I thought Medical Redshirts were only granted after all eligibility was used, including a players regular redshirt. I don't know the rules applied for transfers but if he would have stayed at OSU I thought he would have been able to request a medical redshirt for an additional year of eligibility. The transfer may change that.