We Really Need A College Eatery Around Campus

Now that Central Grill has been sold to folks from South Korea......it'll be hard for that place to be the same.

Think about all the great campus eateries that we've lost over the years. The State Club. All the Fry Street establishments that were run off, for now....no apparent reason (Tomato, Chopsticks, that small Italian restaurant).

Texas Pick up.

Now there's really nothing left. I'm not talking about chain restaurants. We've still got those.

I'm talking about a non-chain.....where students and alums would go for a meal....for a beer. Like State Club. Like Texas Pick up. Like the Tomato. Like Central Grill.

Talk about a good business opportunity. If I had the money......I'd build a place like that, that served good food......and I'd have hot babes as waitresses. It'd make a lot of $$$....even in this economy.

Edited by SUMG

Chopsticks is still around and IMO much better off where they relocated to.

I love their food and prices.

I'm talking about places that are right next to campus. We still have a lot of great places in Denton. Not so much though.....right by campus. At least to me, we don't.

Though it's not one of my favorites, you've still got Katz's Hamburgers. Mr. Chopsticks just isn't the same for me anymore. I can't argue that the food's not better at the new location, but I went from eating there 3-4 times a month to little/no desire for it.

There is also a new gastro-pub that I believe occupies the old Rick's Place/Inferno/Drink spot...Denton Public House I believe. New-American cuisine can be very hit or miss...but has anybody been there?

Didn't even realize The Drink had failed already..... just not much reason to walk that direction of Fry these days.

Didn't even realize The Drink had failed already..... just not much reason to walk that direction of Fry these days.

Just about every class I take is in Curry or the Business Building, so I park in the church lot and walk through Fry street every day. The drink seemed like it was trying to be this exclusive night club in a street full of 50c drink bars. Didn't seem like much of a winning formula. I'm curious what the Public House will be. Hope they're not trying to ride the coattails of those imminent oh-so-successful luxury condos where all the Fry St eateries used to be.

There are a few decent, cheap, independent restaurants near 7-11 on Oak. The Italian place, Thai Place, Chinese place and sushi place. I've eaten at the Italian and Thai place, and they're not exactly food I'd want to take a potential seven-figure donor to, but they serve their purpose for a reasonable price.

I never had the privilege of eating at any of the old Fry St. places, so I don't know the benchmark against which everyone here measures.

As for the Central Grill, I'm going to give benefit of the doubt that mine was a one-time experience, but when I took the kid there once, our wings tasted like cleaning product. I don't mean the recipe was bad. I mean some cleaning product had somehow permeated into the sauce. Unfortunately, it was enough to steer me away ever thereafter. I never publicly said anything about it because everyone here loved it so much, and I figured I'd just gotten a very rare bad batch.

Just about every class I take is in Curry or the Business Building, so I park in the church lot and walk through Fry street every day. The drink seemed like it was trying to be this exclusive night club in a street full of 50c drink bars. Didn't seem like much of a winning formula. I'm curious what the Public House will be. Hope they're not trying to ride the coattails of those imminent oh-so-successful luxury condos where all the Fry St eateries used to be.

There are a few decent, cheap, independent restaurants near 7-11 on Oak. The Italian place, Thai Place, Chinese place and sushi place. I've eaten at the Italian and Thai place, and they're not exactly food I'd want to take a potential seven-figure donor to, but they serve their purpose for a reasonable price.

I love Thai Ocha off of University.

Edited by Green P1

I still like the food at RipRocks, but it isn't as ggod as the state Club or the old Pickup.

I miss bagheri's very much... That is the small italian place that was torn down...

The square has a bunch of good places like Sweetwater, but talking about a nice beer and burger joint near campus I have to go with RipRocks...

I still like the food at RipRocks, but it isn't as ggod as the state Club or the old Pickup.

I miss bagheri's very much... That is the small italian place that was torn down...

The square has a bunch of good places like Sweetwater, but talking about a nice beer and burger joint near campus I have to go with RipRocks...

Riprocks has the burger, fries and a drink for $3.50 on I believe Tuesdays. Pretty decent lunch for cheap.

UNT needs a campus spot on the order of Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater. The spot I miss the most is Texas Pickup. At one time that was a great place and there were times when you had a decent wait to get a table.

One of the problems is patronage around the campus. To prosper as a "college hangout" you really have to cater to the local crowd, be involved in the community and offer a good product at a decent price. If you do that...people need to frequent the place and not just for a quick lunch with a 50% off coupon.

I like Sweetwater for burgers and beer...nachos, cheese fries, etc. However, I realize it is too far away from campus and too "townie" to be much of a college hangout.

Ever been to Eskimo Joe's on a game day in Stillwater? hard to get into the place...and it is full of townies, out of town fans (both teams), mom's and dad's with kids and college students. Interesting mix of clientele...been there awhile and always supports OSU and the City...I wonder if that has anything to do with it? You think?

I moved to Denton in 1965 and have lived there "off and on" ever since. From day one it was apparent that the locals do not support restaurants well enough to establish many local restaurants other than burger places, italian and mexican. People would drive to Dallas to eat and let a local place with just as good food and service wither on the vine because it was "cooler" (I guess) to drive to Dallas for an "outing". Go figure. Interesting, but true. I can name you restaurant after restaurant that tried to make a go of it in Denton and couldn't make it after a year or two. Amazing, but true. I do think we are seeing a time in Denton where the local base along with the student population will support local establishments. That being said...i hope someone does open up a new college place. I'd give it a try, but I'll still try Central Grill's new ownership out too.

Chopsticks is still around and IMO much better off where they relocated to.

I love their food and prices.

He's talking about places that aren't run by Asians near campus, ha ha

no but seriously Chopsitcks sucks dont know how that place even survives...

They were going to build a Snuffers, Chipotle, Starbucks, and Cafe BRazil at the fry st development but once again the City of Denton got involved, ha ha. Now that place will forever serve as a reminder of what happens when you try to develop property in Denton. Im actually trying to develop some property here in Denton and am seeing it first hand.

They were going to build a Snuffers, Chipotle, Starbucks, and Cafe BRazil at the fry st development but once again the City of Denton got involved, ha ha. Now that place will forever serve as a reminder of what happens when you try to develop property in Denton. Im actually trying to develop some property here in Denton and am seeing it first hand.

So its a wash...

Im actually trying to develop some property here in Denton and am seeing it first hand.

Gee, and how's that going for you here in the land of "not in my backyard"...and "development, what development...we want it to stay a sleepy little college town"..... Just promise them you won't have to cut down any trees, that you will use no trans fats in whatever you do, that you will use solar panels and wind turbines and biodiesel in all your vehicles...and, oh yes, that you love to pay outrageous property taxes and that you will cover 125% of any infrastructure upgrades...and that maybe you will work as a school crossing guard on your time off.

Sorry, too many years spent in Denton trying to figure out why Denton hates businesses and business minded people so much.

Sorry, too many years spent in Denton trying to figure out why Denton hates businesses and business minded people so much.

I doubt you'll find too much objection to corporate money on 288 or University. But, sorry, there are certain areas a Starbucks or a Chili's ect should not be...Fry and the the Square.

Gee, and how's that going for you here in the land of "not in my backyard"...and "development, what development...we want it to stay a sleepy little college town"..... Just promise them you won't have to cut down any trees, that you will use no trans fats in whatever you do, that you will use solar panels and wind turbines and biodiesel in all your vehicles...and, oh yes, that you love to pay outrageous property taxes and that you will cover 125% of any infrastructure upgrades...and that maybe you will work as a school crossing guard on your time off.

Stupid hippies...

I doubt you'll find too much objection to corporate money on 288 or University. But, sorry, there are certain areas a Starbucks or a Chili's ect should not be...Fry and the the Square.

That is exactly right, there are just certain places tat CHili's doesn't need to be, Fry St and the Square are part of what makes Denton special and if we sully that with corporate stuff that can be found anywhere then we are, IMO, losing what makes Denton awesome.

There are plenty of places in town that have embraced and will embrace corporate and well know national establishments. They will do just fine. I just don't want to grab a hamburger from Chili's when I am on Fry.

KRAM1, spoken like a true Dentonite who knows what goes on in this town.

Believe me I am being sent to the cleaners and I already told them that I was very close to pulling the plug on the entire project, well see.

Because most of them are Jackasses (in general). Denton likes the out of the ordinary business types because the owners are usually not out to screw you over for a buck (in general). We need a place where everybody knows your name....ahhh....reminds me of a song....and a t.v. show.....we need....CHEERS. :)

Edited by EagleGreen

I'd prefer a sodded lot with the fence removed to a Snuffers, Chipotle, Starbucks, or Cafe BRazil.

I love Snuffers and Cafe Brazil both.

We're not talking about Chili's here... Both are Dallas area "chains", not national or even regional companies. And they're both pretty damn good, for the type of food they serve. Chipotle and Starbucks, you can get anywhere... Very unnecessary near campus. But Snuffers and Cafe Brazil are just fine in my book.

It may not be a full-fledged "Eatery", but don't forget about NY Subway (Sub-hub?).

Ohhh no doubt. Anyone who questions the greatness of NY Subway is not a true Dentonite...this spoken from someone who lives an hour from NYC and still craves the number 12, no tomato, add mayo.

I wasn't a big fan of Central Grill... or the owners. They put up cool flags and what-not about the university. and i appreciated it. but, after a bad run-in my view of them will never be the same. I might go now it is under new management.

Central Grill's food was mediocre. I could buy the stuff from Kroger and put it in the oven/frying pan and it would taste the exact same. I go to restaurants because they can make things taste better than I can.