Trilli Coming Back To The Super Pit

Could we all bet Trilli wigs for the game?????? That would be a hoot. I have to assume the guy will make the road trip down. "Money game" as Vito said...interesting being on the "other side" of a money game, right?

One of the best con-men coaches of all time in my opinion. He could sell ice to Eskimos --he was that charismatic. Couldn't outcoach your below-average YMCA coach for under-6 year olds. Seriously, it was one thing to lose by 75 at Maryland, another to just get absolutely crushed against Big West and SBC teams twice a week. There are many solid comparisons you can make between he and Dodge on the football side of things. Both got alot of excitment generated for their teams and got much imprioved facilities, but the actual team perfromance was much worse than anyone could have dreamed.

One of the best con-men coaches of all time in my opinion. He could sell ice to Eskimos --he was that charismatic. Couldn't outcoach your below-average YMCA coach for under-6 year olds. Seriously, it was one thing to lose by 75 at Maryland, another to just get absolutely crushed against Big West and SBC teams twice a week. There are many solid comparisons you can make between he and Dodge on the football side of things. Both got alot of excitment generated for their teams and got much imprioved facilities, but the actual team perfromance was much worse than anyone could have dreamed.

If your analogy holds, wouldn't that mean that there's a football Johnny Jones out there for us somewhere? :wub:

Something tells me that if Dodge wins at least two games, that he will still be the coach here. Just my opinion, though.

I seem to recall people calling for Johnny Jone's head in his first few years and criticizing RV for sticking with him and giving JJ a 5 year extension. Funny how attitudes change.

Something tells me that if Dodge wins at least two games, that he will still be the coach here. Just my opinion, though.

That could happen. RV will have to weigh many factors after the season if only two wins happen to retain or even extend Dodge. His decision likely will depend on more than just wins, although wins are probably top of the list. Next would be competitiveness of the team, fan attendance and mood, media attention or lack of, sponorship and donor considerations, and plain economics (can we afford to nix the contract?). Dodge has many things in his favor (so far) to continue the rebuild job. I think more than two wins he's safe for at least another year, two or less will be decision time.

I seem to recall people calling for Johnny Jone's head in his first few years and criticizing RV for sticking with him and giving JJ a 5 year extension. Funny how attitudes change.

I seem to recall one of them being you.

JJ -> What good will a 6th year do? It shouldn't take that long to turn around a program. Considering the team's performance earlier in the year and now the typical mid to late season losses, JJ should go after this year.

It is indeed funny how attitudes change.

P.S.: Year six is when we won our SBC Championship, went to the NCAA Tournament, and started our three years and counting run of 20 win seasons.

Tasty...does that mean you are willing to give Coach Dodge the same six years JJ got to turn his program around?

If the problem with Dodge is that we finish around .500 too much, I don't think he'll have much more opposition from the posting community any time soon.

Tasty...does that mean you are willing to give Coach Dodge the same six years JJ got to turn his program around?

Quoner already touched on this, but there's a big difference between one bad year and 4 years near, at, or slightly above .500 and two seasons of being arguably the bottom team in all of D-1A football, with only one D-1A win to show for the effort.

I don't believe I've ever said Dodge should be fired... Yet. I've said his performance is so epically poor that it would be justifiable. I've said that if we DIDN'T fire him after the start he had, 120 years of NCAA football history says that there's only one example of a guy pulling himself out of a hole on the scale of what Dodge had dug for himself.

But to answer your question, I'll be gracious enough to double the JJ learning curve. If Dodge finishes .500 this year, and the next two years, too... I'd support giving him a 6th year. But remember- Johnny Jones had ONE bad year, where he still won a quarter of his games. The other 4 seasons, he finished just one game under .500. So yes, if Todd Dodge gets through years 3-5 at one game under .500, I'm willing to give him year six to get us into the postseason.

----------

EDIT: Forgot to add that if Dodge has another season like the last two, I expect to see a new head football coach shaking hands with Johnny Jones at a big Super Pit introduction.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

I seem to recall one of them being you.

It is indeed funny how attitudes change.

P.S.: Year six is when we won our SBC Championship, went to the NCAA Tournament, and started our three years and counting run of 20 win seasons.

Yes, and it was in year six.

Turning around a basketball program, where all if takes is 5 good players, should not have taken that long. But you are right, I did change my attitude. Then again, this was during year six, not year two.

One of the best con-men coaches of all time in my opinion. He could sell ice to Eskimos --he was that charismatic.

Yeah, that and he wasn't above lying or at least stretching the truth quite a bit. I still remember the little controversy that occured when one of his first recruits (Wes Allen or Deg Erskin I think) let it slip that he'd been assured that UNT would be in C-USA within a few years.

Edited by MeanGreenTeeth