Better Times

Harry

Do you think those past teams could have beat FAU and Troy of late? I am not convinced they could have. I really enjoyed those days mostly because I thought we were going to continue to improve in terms of facilities, players, money and conference. It was exciting to think of the future back then. Still the majority of games were boring and we knew how to get blown out in OOC games quite well. With a couple of notable exceptions.

The bowl games were great mainly because I would meet old school buddies and we would set the clock back several years as we partied on Bourbon street. With the exception of Cincinnati the games were a bit embarrassing. Our players looked so small and slow compared to the competition. Still I cheered like hell and was proud of my school for being there.

As a Athletic program we are way ahead of those days. We have better facilities and may even get that long sought after allusive stadium. We have more money. Most of the teams are more competitive. If we can just get the football team to give us something to be proud of on the field we will lose our tunnel vision and realize that things are pretty good at UNT. I feel it comes down to when and not if we start winning on the football field. If this coach can not get it done we will find one that can. I sure hope it is soon before that loss to Rice burns a hole straight through my brain!

Do you think those past teams could have beat FAU and Troy of late? I am not convinced they could have. I really enjoyed those days mostly because I thought we were going to continue to improve in terms of facilities, players, money and conference. It was exciting to think of the future back then. Still the majority of games were boring and we knew how to get blown out in OOC games quite well. With a couple of notable exceptions.

Good point, the Belt has certainly gained in overall quality since our run.

Let me say it again...

4 years of the script.

4 conference titles and bowl trips.

Since the script left...

Zero titles and zero bowl games.

Game, Set, and Match.

Look what just bringing the red back has done for the Rangers this year.... bring back the script, throw in some helmet stickers and billboards, and look out Bama.

Gooooood times indeed. A league winning streak most alums will never see their school come near. We should all be so bored...

...I don't get the argument that attendance is so much better now (which is debatable in and of itself) because of a new style of offense. Honestly, how many people do you think attended a NT game this past season because "hey, i like they offense they run!" - take people who would have attended anyway out of the equation. Is that number even in double digits? Seriously. Likewise, how many casual fans who attend now would NOT come if they couldn't tailgate. Bet that's a damn high figure.

ANY boost in attendance or decline in apathy is directly related to a better run AD's office - we have TAILGATING now... can you imagine if the championship teams had the same game day presentation we do now?? Parking lots full of students waiting to punch a bowl ticket, expecting to put up 50+ or blow somebody out, etc?? Not to mention the promotion, etc... we complain about RV, etc. from time to time, but anyone who was around before he got here can appreciate the epic difference.

I know some found the offense boring (despite back to back national rushing champs, Hall, Quinn, Smith, Galbreath, etc., and a better scoring efficiency than we've come close to since), but what that team (and it's top ten defense) accomplished with facilities that were horrendous by LOW 1-AA standards is nothing short of astounding. Anyone who compares the weight room, academic areas, offices, training rooms, practice facilities, even the EQUIPMENT from the championship days to now would realize it's like a jump from 3A to bonafide D-1. This new group has more funding, resources, admin support, recruiting tools, facilities, etc. than the previous groups imagined in their wildest dreams. Makes the disparity in performance all the more flat-out staggering.

Bottom line is, attendance is affected more by winning than anything else. Period. On an equal playing field, 2003 UNT outdraws 2008 UNT 2 to 1. At least. If not, we have some piss poor fans.

Let me say it again...

4 years of the script.

4 conference titles and bowl trips.

Since the script left...

Zero titles and zero bowl games.

Actually it is NMSU that affected our Bowl participation. Since NMSU left for the WAC in 2005 NT has been Bowl-less. We simply need to join the WAC and be with NMSU again. Easy. :D

Bottom line is, attendance is affected more by winning than anything else. Period.

At NT, the opponent can affect attendance more than if we are winning or not. Fans want to see us play the Smuts, Baylors, and Navys of the world regardless of records of either school.