Update On Athletic Fee Bill

UNTflyer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......about stuff we do not understand and/or comprehend.

Fixed!

And you are absolutely correct! I do not understand the legislative procedure regarding such matters. Nor do I understand why North Texas seemingly gets screwed at every turn regarding anything remotely associated with building a football stadium. Again, where is Lee Jackson leading the charge? And I just thought Hurley was a bad Chancellor! <_<

Actually, June 1 is the last day of the legislative session. This isn't really a delay. All plans on construction start dates have assumed the bill wouldn't become law until June.

Not really a delay, but certainly something to make us sweat this bill out a little more. What is the feeling inside the AD?...

Well, I'm not going to complain. But I never assume that anything going through the legislative process, that might benefit North Texas, is a sure thing. We only have to look at our original University name change as exhibit "A".

In Feb of 1961 Rep Joe Ratliff of Dallas (a North Texas graduate) introduced a bill in the House to change our school's name to "The University of North Texas". It was co-signed by eight other North Texas graduates who were in the legislature that year. One of the dissenting votes in the house was Rep Maud Isaacks of El Paso, who commented that "It's always been a teachers college and is one today". Still, the bill passed the house by a vote of 126-17, and everyone thought (assumed) that this would be a cake walk through the Senate. Such was not the case.

Senator Charles Herring of Austin said the name change would "damage the University of Texas", and called the name change "a fraud on the public". Senator Hubert Hudson of Brownsville charged North Texas with inadequacy as a college, and said that "half of the courses taught at North Texas can't be transferred to half of the leading colleges in the nation". A filibuster was threatened, and as a result, Sen. Tom Creighton of Mineral Wells worked out a compromise name of North Texas State University.

We finally re-visited this issue in 1988 and change our name to what it is now....which is what we wanted originally back in 1961.

So, once again, I never assume when it comes to North Texas and the legislature. And I don't have ANY confidence that Lee Jackson will be diligent enough, or assertive enough, to avoid a repeat of the situation chronicled above, with our current bill.

Once again, I'm not complaining.......... B)

Edited by SilverEagle

I agree, there is no guarantee. This bill is the highest risk factor in this project. If the bill dies, this stadium project is on hold for two years.

if this bill dies, I can guarantee you there will be current followers of UNT sports that will never step foot back on campus. Can't speak for others but I've been attending fewer and fewer football games over the years because I can't f'n stand fouts. Personally I'd much rather drive to TCU and watch some football in a great venue.

if this bill dies, I can guarantee you there will be current followers of UNT sports that will never step foot back on campus. Can't speak for others but I've been attending fewer and fewer football games over the years because I can't f'n stand fouts. Personally I'd much rather drive to TCU and watch some football in a great venue.

If this bill dies then a Lynching party needs to be organized and marched to the house of Mr. Lee Jackson.

We need to know the number and name of the bill. We then need to call/e-mail our representatives, and respectfully and sincerely, convey to them how important the passage of this bill is to North Texas alumni. We need to convey the same thing to Lee Jackson.

If he ignores our wishes......then lynch him.

We need to know the number and name of the bill. We then need to call/e-mail our representatives, and respectfully and sincerely, convey to them how important the passage of this bill is to North Texas alumni. We need to convey the same thing to Lee Jackson.

If he ignores our wishes......then lynch him.

HB 2024 is in the House Higher Education Committee. The committee members are:

Chair: Rep. Dan Branch - A graduate of the SMU School of Law

Vice Chair: Rep. Joaquin Castro - Stanford University and Harvard Law School

Members:

Rep. Roberto R. Alonzo - undergraduate degree at UT-Austin

Rep. Leo Berman - BA, Political Science with honors, Southern Methodist University

Rep. Ellen Cohen - No education listed

Rep. Donna Howard - bachelor's degree in nursing (1974) and a master's in health education (1977), both from the University of Texas.

Rep. Brian McCall - Bachelors degree from Baylor University, a Masters degree from Southern Methodist University, and a Doctor of Philosophy degree from the University of Texas at Dallas. The representative also spent a year as a visiting post-graduate student at Oxford University.

Rep. Diane Patrick - Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree with a major in Elementary Education and a minor in English from the University of North Texas

Rep. Patrick M. Rose - Princeton University, earning a bachelor's degree with high honors, and The University of Texas, earning a law degree

The Senate version is SB 473

Position

Chair: Sen. Judith Zaffirini - Education: The University of Texas at Austin, B.S., M.A., Ph.D.; University of Houston

Vice Chair: Sen. Dan Patrick - Education: University of Maryland

Members:

Sen. Kip Averitt - Education: MBA, Baylor University, 1978; B.S., Economics & Finance, Baylor University, 1977

Sen. Robert Duncan - Education: Texas Tech University, B.S.; Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D

Sen. Royce West - Education: University of Texas at Arlington, B.A., M.A.; University of Houston, J.D.

HB 2024 is in the House Higher Education Committee. The committee members are:

Chair: Rep. Dan Branch - A graduate of the SMU School of Law

Vice Chair: Rep. Joaquin Castro - Stanford University and Harvard Law School

Members:

Rep. Roberto R. Alonzo - undergraduate degree at UT-Austin

Rep. Leo Berman - BA, Political Science with honors, Southern Methodist University

Rep. Ellen Cohen - No education listed

Rep. Donna Howard - bachelor's degree in nursing (1974) and a master's in health education (1977), both from the University of Texas.

Rep. Brian McCall - Bachelors degree from Baylor University, a Masters degree from Southern Methodist University, and a Doctor of Philosophy degree from the University of Texas at Dallas. The representative also spent a year as a visiting post-graduate student at Oxford University.

Rep. Diane Patrick - Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree with a major in Elementary Education and a minor in English from the University of North Texas

Rep. Patrick M. Rose - Princeton University, earning a bachelor's degree with high honors, and The University of Texas, earning a law degree

The Senate version is SB 473

Position

Chair: Sen. Judith Zaffirini - Education: The University of Texas at Austin, B.S., M.A., Ph.D.; University of Houston

Vice Chair: Sen. Dan Patrick - Education: University of Maryland

Members:

Sen. Kip Averitt - Education: MBA, Baylor University, 1978; B.S., Economics & Finance, Baylor University, 1977

Sen. Robert Duncan - Education: Texas Tech University, B.S.; Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D

Sen. Royce West - Education: University of Texas at Arlington, B.A., M.A.; University of Houston, J.D.

Well, that brought the bitching and complaining to a screeching halt.

Got job! Flyer.... B)

And you are absolutely correct! I do not understand the legislative procedure regarding such matters. Nor do I understand why North Texas seemingly gets screwed at every turn regarding anything remotely associated with building a football stadium. Again, where is Lee Jackson leading the charge? And I just thought Hurley was a bad Chancellor! <_<

Legislation and Sausage-- Two things you never want to witness being made.