Denton Game Watching Venues

dacat

Yesterday we called around Denton bars asking about the men's basketball game. The following didn't really care to much about UNT basketball.

- The Not to Be named GMG sponsor

- Loophole

- Abby Inn

- Rockys

- Roosters

- Hooligans

Maybe I am being a bit harsh. Each one of the above venues kept asking me "what channel?" Each venue also had either Dish Network, DirecTV, Charter Cable or Fios. Now I did the work for some and found channels only to be told 'we don't have it' and that was that. Seriously, these Denton establishments need to provide people with a place to watch UNT sports. Why? How many of you went to Lewisville to watch UNT play? That is lost revenue for the City of Denton. (Not to mention the further deterioration of our planet .. thanks guys /sarcasm) Plus it is in my unhumble opinion that if your going to call yourself a sports bar in a college town you better make an effort to support your local college sports even if it's competitive underwater basket weaving.

Ok, now the good and the end of my rant.

Texas 8 Ball, was one of the few that didn't have an annoyed tone when I kept asking if they could "check channel #, how about #" They also had the game because they purchased the DirecTV sports package that gave them regional sports networks. We didn't go there because while I was on the phone with them my woman's co-worker was on the phone with SweetWater.

Now SweetWater. The gentleman at SweetWater spent many minutes on the phone and his own personal time to look for a network that was showing the game on his service provider. When he found the game, after spending his own personal time looking, he phoned us to let us know he could show the game. When we arrived, a small group of 10, he had a table setup in front of one of his TVs. When the game started he turned off the overhead speakers that were playing music and cranked up the TV volume. I do not know the man's name but he was more than accommodating, and deserves your attention next time a game is played away and your looking for a place to watch.

-dacat

You can usually find my bride and me at Sweetwater every Friday after work enjoying bugers (or something else) and COLD BEER! By the way...if you are looking for a caterer for a private function...these guys do great work. We had them cater our son and daughter-in-laws engagement party at our home a few years ago. People who attended are STILL telling us how good the food was. Also...if you are lazy like us, you can order your thanksgiving "stuff" from Sweetwater...we did this year and it was GREAT!

But, don't forget the other great establishments around town that support the MEAN GREEN. I am not at all surprised to hear you had a good experience with the crew at Sweetwater!

GO MEAN GREEN!

I have given up trying to convince local businesses to support the Mean Green. I just assume nobody does, then I am pleasantly surprised when I go to a new restaurant and see a flag or jersey hanging on the wall.

i love that too, however the fact that its hanging or not is not the be all end all of supporting the program. Also many times these items are held hostage in a way by the Ath Dept regarding donations and levels etc.

Just saying

Some atre "stealth supporters". They don't display the MEAN GREEN "stuff", but they definitely support the school. Some are afraid that with two colleges in town (TWU is a real college, right? :rolleyes: ) they shouldn't be too partial for the sake of business. Especially those nearer TWU and some in the downtown area.

By the way...another local business who really supports UNT is UNIQUE BARBER just off the square in downtown. Wayne and Terissa are season ticket holders and you can always talk UNT sports when you visit! Just FYI!

Yesterday we called around Denton bars asking about the men's basketball game. The following didn't really care to much about UNT basketball.

- Loophole

- Abby Inn

- Rockys

- Roosters

- Hooligans

Maybe I am being a bit harsh. Each one of the above venues kept asking me "what channel?" Each venue also had either Dish Network, DirecTV, Charter Cable or Fios. Now I did the work for some and found channels only to be told 'we don't have it' and that was that. Seriously, these Denton establishments need to provide people with a place to watch UNT sports. Why? How many of you went to Lewisville to watch UNT play? That is lost revenue for the City of Denton. (Not to mention the further deterioration of our planet .. thanks guys /sarcasm) Plus it is in my unhumble opinion that if your going to call yourself a sports bar in a college town you better make an effort to support your local college sports even if it's competitive underwater basket weaving.

Dacat, thanks for not naming someone who sponsors the site. I can tell you that they do whatever they can to get the games. Honestly I used to be as flustered as you as to why the local scene does not support the programs.

However one large part of the reason the Pourhouse cant and wont get a package has to do with the costs associated for it. When a game in on a certain package its not $99 to get it like it is for a home viewer. Its based on capacity, TV's etc. So the size of the Pourhouse dictates the cost of the event. Also canceling Fios or Comcast to get Direct TV etc for a semi-final game isn't going to happen.

All these places are in business first and fans second. Ideally in the Pourhouse's case they are doing the best they can to make those 2 align

I have given up trying to convince local businesses to support the Mean Green. I just assume nobody does, then I am pleasantly surprised when I go to a new restaurant and see a flag or jersey hanging on the wall.

Flyer, as an aside what was the count of people, who did NOT show up for the party, that was NOT at a british bar in Lewisville

Also, the appetizer sampler platter that we didn't eat there was good! Loved the pretzels and the cheese sticks. Emmitt's baby girl I didn't see was a real cutie! :lol:

GMG!

Edited by NTEdgex2

- Loophole

- Abby Inn

- Rockys

- Roosters

- Hooligans

Ok, now the good and the end of my rant.

Texas 8 Ball, was one of the few that didn't have an annoyed tone when I kept asking if they could "check channel #, how about #" They also had the game because they purchased the DirecTV sports package that gave them regional sports networks. We didn't go there because while I was on the phone with them my woman's co-worker was on the phone with SweetWater.

Now SweetWater. The gentleman at SweetWater spent many minutes on the phone and his own personal time to look for a network that was showing the game on his service provider. When he found the game, after spending his own personal time looking, he phoned us to let us know he could show the game. When we arrived, a small group of 10, he had a table setup in front of one of his TVs. When the game started he turned off the overhead speakers that were playing music and cranked up the TV volume. I do not know the man's name but he was more than accommodating, and deserves your attention next time a game is played away and your looking for a place to watch.

-dacat

With 35,000 students, I have NEVER understood this.

We did NOT have somewhere around 30-35 people there.

To stick with the theme, we didn't watch the second half at this undisclosed location, and we didn't sit next to the TV and enjoy brews, chips, and .35 cent wings. We also were very (didn't) impressed with the TV's resolution. Still, we overall didn't enjoy everything but the final score. Btw, (did/didn't) like who won the championship tonight. Did really care much.

You can usually find my bride and me at Sweetwater every Friday after work enjoying bugers (or something else) and COLD BEER!

Proving once again, anything goes good with COLD BEER!

Man KRAM, I hope that's not what you all served at your son's engagment party! :lol:

Edited by UNTLifer

denton does not support unt athletics like most college towns. maybe better teams as opponents would help but most businesses there just do not seem to care.

Please tell us why you think this is so. I assume you live in denton and frequent "most businesses" in town...especially the locally owned one, right? So, since you spend a good bit of your dollars in denton and know "most businesses" please do share. I am not saying you are wrong, but the "local" businesses my wife and I spend our time and dollars with definitely DO seem to care and do suppoet UNT athletics or UNT in some significant way or the other. We seek out these businesses, so my view may be differeent than yours. And, yes, I wish Denton would "turn out" in support of UNT like some of the other Universities I have attended...Oklahoma State (Stillwater goes all out for OSU athletics), University of Central Missouri (smaller town, 2nd largest U in Missouri ... I believe with very nice support) and U. of Missouri (Columbia turns out in support in a big way). So, yes, denton does have a way to go to step up to that level of support...but, many local businesses do support UNT athletics.

If you don't live here...(I have since 1965) and spend your money with the local establishments you may not be aware of just what support is there. That is part of the problem...many seem to be "stealth supporters" in that there is no outward display at the place of business...perhaps we should start a thread about businesses who do support UNT Athletics so everyone on GMG.Com could spend their $$$$ there and thasnk them for their support.

That would be a positive thing, wouldn't it? Rewarding those that do support UNT instead of ragging on those that don't? What an interesting approach. :flowers::thumbsup:

Please tell us why you think this is so. I assume you live in denton and frequent "most businesses" in town...especially the locally owned one, right? So, since you spend a good bit of your dollars in denton and know "most businesses" please do share. I am not saying you are wrong, but the "local" businesses my wife and I spend our time and dollars with definitely DO seem to care and do suppoet UNT athletics or UNT in some significant way or the other. We seek out these businesses, so my view may be differeent than yours. And, yes, I wish Denton would "turn out" in support of UNT like some of the other Universities I have attended...Oklahoma State (Stillwater goes all out for OSU athletics), University of Central Missouri (smaller town, 2nd largest U in Missouri ... I believe with very nice support) and U. of Missouri (Columbia turns out in support in a big way). So, yes, denton does have a way to go to step up to that level of support...but, many local businesses do support UNT athletics.

If you don't live here...(I have since 1965) and spend your money with the local establishments you may not be aware of just what support is there. That is part of the problem...many seem to be "stealth supporters" in that there is no outward display at the place of business...perhaps we should start a thread about businesses who do support UNT Athletics so everyone on GMG.Com could spend their $$$$ there and thasnk them for their support.

That would be a positive thing, wouldn't it? Rewarding those that do support UNT instead of ragging on those that don't? What an interesting approach. :flowers::thumbsup:

For most people, KRAM, I think it's just the eyeball test. Sure, some of us have spent years living in and around Denton and know it pretty well; We've all found some gems, gotten to know people, and learned who is and isn't "NT-Friendly".... but I think to the casual observer (and even some not-so-casual, frankly), LoveMG has a point. A quick drive through most of Denton or pop-ins in a few businesses once in a blue moon, and yeah, the "feel" of support or of NT being the end-all-be-all in town does not begin to match the feel in a lot of these college towns folks are used to.

Denton is just a different place, though.... it's a college town, yes, but it's very concerned with being "cool"... it started organically for sure, but I'm not convinced some of it isn't a bt contrived at this point. I still love it, but priorities are a bit different here than in, say, College Station, Lubbock, or even Nacogdoches.

For most people, KRAM, I think it's just the eyeball test. Sure, some of us have spent years living in and around Denton and know it pretty well; We've all found some gems, gotten to know people, and learned who is and isn't "NT-Friendly".... but I think to the casual observer (and even some not-so-casual, frankly), LoveMG has a point. A quick drive through most of Denton or pop-ins in a few businesses once in a blue moon, and yeah, the "feel" of support or of NT being the end-all-be-all in town does not begin to match the feel in a lot of these college towns folks are used to.

Denton is just a different place, though.... it's a college town, yes, but it's very concerned with being "cool"... it started organically for sure, but I'm not convinced some of it isn't a bt contrived at this point. I still love it, but priorities are a bit different here than in, say, College Station, Lubbock, or even Nacogdoches.

I agree Denton is lacking in college town "appearance". I know it's hard to compare to Stillwater, Fayetteville, Norman, et al, but something is missing in Denton. Perhaps it is because of the "other" college in town and businesses don't want to slight TWU? Perhaps the conference or opponents do make a huge difference? But I'd bet Boise, Fresno and even Hattiesburg, Mississippi lets you know who the favorite college team is by the way the businesses dress up. Maybe the new stadium will help the town wake up and take pride in supporting the home team?

Edited by NT80

CarribbeanGreen and NT80...well said, and I agree with your thoughts on Denton. One just needs to realize that Denton has this "cool jazz/other music/art, etc." reputation and that a good base of the town is employed by either UNT or TWU. UNT and TWU profs and many administrators certainly have the reputation of not supporting athletics for one reason or another...OK, I get that. But, there are still many businesses in and around Denton who support UNT. Denton, due to its "coolness image and those who want to retain that feel, may not be able to reach the "outward" levl of support that is displayed by other college towns we have named her, but I do think folks should do a better job of spending their dollars with the businesses that DO support the program.

Is there something we could do as a group to help that happen?

CarribbeanGreen and NT80...well said, and I agree with your thoughts on Denton. One just needs to realize that Denton has this "cool jazz/other music/art, etc." reputation and that a good base of the town is employed by either UNT or TWU. UNT and TWU profs and many administrators certainly have the reputation of not supporting athletics for one reason or another...OK, I get that. But, there are still many businesses in and around Denton who support UNT. Denton, due to its "coolness image and those who want to retain that feel, may not be able to reach the "outward" levl of support that is displayed by other college towns we have named her, but I do think folks should do a better job of spending their dollars with the businesses that DO support the program.

Is there something we could do as a group to help that happen?

I lived in Denton while in school and understand about the "cool" image but I have a lot of friends that have been in Denton a few times and refer to it as "dirty and grungy".