Football: Unt Senior Happy To Be Moving Back To Tight End

mgsteve

Looks like a great move by Coach Dodge! Glad to see he will be using a tight end some this next season...he seems to be making several moves to better position the team going into 2009. This is very positive and speaks well for our head coach and his staff and players. I see "good things" for the Mean Green in 2009!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN.

Anyone going to practice this afternoon? I seem to recall that this is an "open practice" day...does anyone else recall seeing that posted?

GO MEAN GREEN!

"Dodge said the addition of a tight end to his lineup became an attractive option because of the impact it had on the Mean Green’s running game. It also gave UNT another offensive set that affected the way defenses played in coverage and opened up the possibility of providing an extra blocker in pass protection."

No! Really? A tight end can help in the run game and in the pass game? I'm stunned. I thought all of this time Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, and the other 115 colleges in FBS had it backwards. I hope the other teams in the Sun Belt don't discover this tight end phenomenon. Todd Dodge should close the remaining practices now so that they won't be spying on us and stealing this unique idea.

Now, if we can just solve the riddle of the fullback that those Longhorns, Sooners and the like seem to be so insistent on using. Those teams that are always finishing in the Top 5 and going to BCS bowls are so archaic in their thinking.

Let's see, to wit, we've now got:

-A defense coached 100% by college coaches,

-Special teams coached by a college coach,

-The use of tight ends

Dadgum, fellas, we're almost back to being a real college football team! Throw in a fullback and we're there! And, it only took, what, 27 months for it all to sink into Todd Dodge's skull?

Yes, there is some vindication for those of us non-coaches who have insisted on these things all along. Gee, maybe we do know what we're talking about without having to stand on the sideline with a flipchart in our pants or a wristband with the plays written on it strapped to our forearm.

"Dodge said the addition of a tight end to his lineup became an attractive option because of the impact it had on the Mean Green’s running game. It also gave UNT another offensive set that affected the way defenses played in coverage and opened up the possibility of providing an extra blocker in pass protection."

No! Really? A tight end can help in the run game and in the pass game? I'm stunned. I thought all of this time Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, and the other 115 colleges in FBS had it backwards. I hope the other teams in the Sun Belt don't discover this tight end phenomenon. Todd Dodge should close the remaining practices now so that they won't be spying on us and stealing this unique idea.

Now, if we can just solve the riddle of the fullback that those Longhorns, Sooners and the like seem to be so insistent on using. Those teams that are always finishing in the Top 5 and going to BCS bowls are so archaic in their thinking.

-The use of tight ends

Dadgum, fellas, we're almost back to being a real college football team! Throw in a fullback and we're there! And, it only took, what, 27 months for it all to sink into Todd Dodge's skull?

Yes, there is some vindication for those of us non-coaches who have insisted on these things all along. Gee, maybe we do know what we're talking about without having to stand on the sideline with a flipchart in our pants or a wristband with the plays written on it strapped to our forearm.

god im sick of hearing your crap....stop bashing the coach already...

Lonnie...I heard you just missed out on being the first head coach in the history of what's it name San Antonio U., but some guy named Coker beat you out. Sorry, with all your coaching brillance I was sure you would get the HC job. better luck next time.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Lonnie...I heard you just missed out on being the first head coach in the history of what's it name San Antonio U., but some guy named Coker beat you out. Sorry, with all your coaching brillance I was sure you would get the HC job. better luck next time.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Yes, and he's at least as good a hire as I'd have been. We'll be watching those guys pass us by in a few years, so you'll have yet another reason to hate me for being right. Then, as always, your derision will be misguided, spent against those of us who understand what's going on instead of whom the true target should be - the clowns that run our athletic department and the administrators who sit by and watch it all drift.

-The use of tight ends

A little over the top, but pretty funny IMO.

Now, if Dodge can get a kid to take the ball from under center, it will be the next rage.

Edited by greenminer

I'm with greenminer...fullback or not, let's have a play or two from "under center".

Lonnie...I don't come close to "hating you" as you referenced in your reply. Besides, my mother taught me to be nice to kids who have "challenges". :rolleyes:

I wonder who's got the more outrageous completely unlike real life character here on gmg. In this corner, we've got the undisputed champions of gmg.com characature, the Tasty/Quoner duo, weighing in at a combined 285 pounds in a wet towel. In the other corner, sporting a girl Lobo avatar, weighing in at who knows how much as the internal volume of hot air fluctuates so much, we have the challenger Fake Lonnie.

I have yet to meet somebody from this board who is a fraction as crazy in real life as they are on gmg.

Edited by oldguystudent

-The use of tight ends

dots.gif

I wonder who's got the more outrageous completely unlike real life character here on gmg. In this corner, we've got the undisputed champions of gmg.com characature, the Tasty/Quoner duo, weighing in at a combined 285 pounds in a wet towel. In the other corner, sporting a girl Lobo avatar, weighing in at who knows how much as the internal volume of hot air fluctuates so much, we have the challenger Fake Lonnie.

I have yet to meet somebody from this board who is a fraction as crazy in real life as they are on gmg.

Excellent...How about we get a GMC tag team match going? We'll have to find a tag team partner for Lonnie, but it could be great fun...and, we could sell tickets and enow a UNT scholarship or add it to the GMG Bowl coffers. I'd pay to see that. Who else is in????

A little over the top, but pretty funny IMO.

Now, if Dodge can get a kid to take the ball from under center, it will be the next rage.

Forgot about the behind the center deal. Good call. There is just so much of football that has been missing over the past two years, the things we've needed to be doing have piled up. Although, it is implicit that if you use a fullback, the quarterback is going to pretty much have to be directly under center.

At this point, let's just be happy with the improvements made in the coaching staff for the defense and special teams and with the addition of a tight end. It took Dodge two years and several severe beatings to drill those necessities into his brain.

Let's not get too crazy and expect Dodge to unearth the fullback/quarterback-under-center idea just yet. If he does, you, me, and FFR can be vindicated yet again for knowing what Todd Dodge should have known all along...him being an actual football coach and all, with the wristband on the forearm to prove it just in case you were in doubt.

At this point, let's just be happy with the improvements made in the coaching staff for the defense and special teams and with the addition of a tight end. It took Dodge two years and several severe beatings to drill those necessities into his brain.

and the loss of Gio getting battered play after play and no adjustments to help protect him.

Mr Finch,

I am glad to hear that this is all about your vindication. I can't imagine how great it feels to never be wrong.

A while back, I asked if there was something personal between you and Coach. I ask again because, like most of the threads you post on, this thread started out as a relatively positive thread: an NT football player saying he is happy, expressing his appreciation to his coach for being given the opportunity.

Reading this board, one would think there is not a happy player on the team but this story somewhat refutes that.

You seem to post only to point out what you find wrong with the program, and more accurately with the coach (and since your are always right...).

Any desire on your part to share what the guy did to you?

Scott Campbell

You seem to post only to point out what you find wrong with the program, and more accurately with the coach

Seems to me he posted about what is right in that article..ie, the admitted changes being made to correct the problems in order for this program to get going in the right direction.

TFLF

-The use of tight ends

You simply don't care for the sarcasm used to point this out. And to not expect to read sarcasm on a fan message board after the past two years is unrealistic.

Rick

Thanks Mr Finch. Now I understand.

The article was about a positive move, and you choose to belittle it by turning it into some sort of self-inferred validation of your never-wrong observations.

Yeah, he did 3-21 to me also. The difference is that I don't feel the need to point out every fault the coach may or may not have to make me feel better.

Scott Campbell

Warned to 20%

Thanks Mr Finch. Now I understand.

The article was about a positive move, and you choose to belittle it by turning it into some sort of self-inferred validation of your never-wrong observations.

Yeah, he did 3-21 to me also. The difference is that I don't feel the need to point out every fault the coach may or may not have to make me feel better.

Scott Campbell

Warned to 20%

who is mr. finch

3-21 should be of great concern to you and all mean grn fans. he may be a solid citizen, poster coach, and all around good guy, but the bottom line for passing this course is 70 percent wins.

Scott Campbell

Warned to 20%

But does it make you feel better to point out the faults or unagreeable viewpoints you may see in TFLF post or remarks ? If everyone in this world thought the same this would be a boring world. I respect your viewpoints Scott , but what TFLF says about Dodge is no different than when you tell him he is wrong about how he comes across on his viewpoints.

PS: I really don't like how this thread has gotten off course , it was about a good kid moving back to TE to help his team , but like Rick said this board has become unreal over the past 2 years. It's hard to argue tho that when you have a joke of a program you will have a joke of a message board to go along with it and I guess until winning starts the sarcasim and arguements will only continue

Edited by NT03

I think people are forgetting (or perhaps intentionally omitting) that TD has used a TE both years. No, his primary sets have not used one, and for the most part I doubt they will now. Everybody knew what kind of offense TD was bringing to NT, and it is somewhat humorous how those who were the most excited about it are howling the loudest now. Although last year wasn't great, that kind of offense can work and has worked at the 1-A level. And really, running 4-wide sets has little if anything to do with why we're 3-21.