Gomeangreen.com Bowl 2009

medpilot21

The GMG Bowl has been a great event for the past few years, and a great way for everyone to get together for a good cause. As many know, the economy has taken a down-turn and many of our Mean Green family have either lost their jobs, cannot find work, or are struggling to make ends meet. The costs of putting on the GMG Bowl rises each year, and vendors who have managed to stay in business can no longer be as generous with us. Their expenses also continue to rise. After some discussions with vendors (who are also struggling or already out of business), and due considerrations to our own Mean Green Family... the GoMeanGreen.Com bowl for the 2009 season will be suspended for this year. I realize some will be dissapointed by missing the game, but please understand how difficult it would be for many to play this year. We normally have between five and ten shirts that are requested, then go unpaid each year as those players cannot pay their fees. That number would certainly go up this year, and game/shirt fees would be close to $50.00 a person. I pay those fees ahead of time each year, and could not justify pressuring so many people to pay who may need the money for other things? I understand the money could be much better spent in economic times like these. We will resume the game for the 2010 season, in hopes that the economy has rebounded somewhat. In the meantime, if we all want to get together and play a flag football game wearing our old GMG shirts... then put your ideas on the board and see where it goes.

In it's place, we (GMG.com board members) have adopted a 2nd Grade Class at T.J. Lee Elementary School in Irving Texas. We are participating in the "Adopt a College" program, intended to help kids understand the neccessity of education. The goal is to stress the importance of school early, and possibly reduce the older-student drop-out rate in Texas schools. We have donated $300.00 dollars in shirts (Univeristy of North Texas official shirts) already, and have spent time with that class and teacher. The students are made aware of the need for an education by visits from NT Alums, and wear their North Texas shirts as a class uniform every Monday. It should also be noted that the Teacher (Mrs. Foster) is a North Texas Alum, and her husband was the High School Football Coach for our North Texas All-American...WR-Casey Fitzgerald. The class will take pictures for us throughout the year in their NT shirts, and I will post those pictures on the board. I may also ask more of you to go to the class with me and talk about your jobs and how your college education has helped you succeed. The kids really respond to these appearances.

Thanks again to those I have either emailed or spoken with. For everyone else, be patient and know the GMG.com Bowl will be back in 2010.

GMG!!!

I know the economy is bad, but has it trickled down to affect the GMG Bowl. It sounds like we are in a depression instead of a recession......

Well hopefully we can put something together.... I mean Fouts is free to use and theres our venue, so let's hope people can help in any way they can.

I kind of agree. I don't pretend to know the work/cost that has gone into these.

Can we put together a bare bones one?

Can't we just get together and play some flag football, skip the the tee shirts. I am sure we can all find a green or white shirt for the game. Maybe take some optional donations for Andrew's ship fund.

Don't all we need is a time and place?

If Fouts is open and people are willing what else is there

I was in school from 01-04. I lurked here from the early days and never got "involved". So I don't know what it takes to put this on.

If all it takes is some T-Shirts, Beer Food and Fouts, then I would be more than willing to try.

I can talk to my brother (the pourhouse) and talk with them about their T-shirt vendors etc.

The athletic department should be there to lend moral support?

So we just put the time in?

Medpliot PM me or let me know what there is to keeping this going, I've envied what you guys have done here the last few years and would love to lend a hand. I think its important now more than ever we continue to foster these events amongst the fanbase.

if not count me in for a donation and any time you may need with the class in in Irving

If Fouts is open and people are willing what else is there

I was in school from 01-04. I lurked here from the early days and never got "involved". So I don't know what it takes to put this on.

If all it takes is some T-Shirts, Beer Food and Fouts, then I would be more than willing to try.

I can talk to my brother (the pourhouse) and talk with them about their T-shirt vendors etc.

The athletic department should be there to lend moral support?

So we just put the time in?

Medpliot PM me or let me know what there is to keeping this going, I've envied what you guys have done here the last few years and would love to lend a hand. I think its important now more than ever we continue to foster these events amongst the fanbase.

if not count me in for a donation and any time you may need with the class in in Irving

Dickey and RV would show up in years past . Dickey would hand out caps or T-shirts each year and bring some of the players.

No sign of Dodge since he has been the coach, he probably thinks its a waste of time...

Dickey and RV would show up in years past . Dickey would hand out caps or T-shirts each year and bring some of the players.

No sign of Dodge since he has been the coach, he probably thinks its a waste of time...

Yep, if only Dodge could be half the ambaseder of the program that Dickey was. Dodge hates the fans, but Dickey sure loved those MFers.

Yep, if only Dodge could be half the ambaseder of the program that Dickey was. Dodge hates the fans, but Dickey sure loved those MFers.

Let's be fair. Todge actually doesn't like the GMG bowl and no, he hasn't been half as helpful with it. Not saying that he's not a much better ambassador for the program as a whole...but let's not say that he is more friendly without limitation.

Heck, forget Fouts, just show up somewhere in Dallas or someplace central and throw the ball around, grill with whatever you brought, and just chill. That's a good plan. No shirts needed, nothing snazzy, just being around other fans.

damn....fouts was a cool place to play the game in, but if it costs cash, we need to hit up the practice fields again or something. it's too much fun to just skip because of the economic crisis. i'm not a rich dude, but 25 bucks could easily be saved in two months, if that's what it cost per person. i don't remember....the 40s usually hit me before halftime!

This has nothing to do with the economy... Medpilot heard that I have been in the gym since my loss last year and have actually dropped 30 pounds and have a stronger arm than ever... He is worried about his collarbone not his pocketbook!

Just saying....

I kid I kid... We have to play again... nuff said, sponsors or no sponsors...

Surely someone has an extra child to sell.

Let's do this.

Do we have Fouts reserved?

I think we do the GMG Bowl, without bells and whistles. We need cones, flags, and a couple footballs. We have that right? A volunteer to ref. Players.

We can take scholarship donations on a volunteer basis.

Medpilot (or whoever knows), are there any costs that need to be covered that I am missing?

I posted the same thing and pm'd Medpilot. I haven't heard anything

I'm game for helping get this organized. I am working with the Pourhouse on trying to get them to cater and their shirt supplier for some Recession type shirts if we can get the game going. I'll keep everyone posted

quick question, how many shirts do we normally get?

Edited by Green Nightmare

Depends on how many people wanna play. I wanna say we had like a 10 on 10 game last year with 7 on the field at a time right? There seems to be ALOT of interest this year so it would depend on who signs up in the BIO thread when it is started.

We need to designate Captains. I suggest we stick with the people who have been around doing this thing for 6 years and know it runs. NOT volunteering myself btw!

Someone needs to call the AD about fouts and then we roll from there...

I am happy with being the number one draft pick again this year by the way... 6 years in a row... makes a fat kid feel good