Dodge Prepares For Life After Vizza

Keith7

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Tune really a sophomore?

Eligibility wise, this season (it's 09 and we should be talking about this season, not next year) will be his Junior year. Last season was his sophomore year.

I am so happy that Baine will be given a shot at QB. It gives me an underdog to support.

Edited by SilverEagle

kool-aid anyone?

good stuff for the past 2 weeks or so... come on now

Did I hear a request for Kool-Aid? B)

I think giving Baine a chance at QB makes perfect sense. The QB competition will be fun to watch this year.

Can't wait to see the new crop of receivers this year - that has been my biggest worry point for the offense. I think the QB position will be fine.

Did I hear a request for Kool-Aid? B)

I think giving Baine a chance at QB makes perfect sense. The QB competition will be fun to watch this year.

Can't wait to see the new crop of receivers this year - that has been my biggest worry point for the offense. I think the QB position will be fine.

Wish I shared your optimism. Take a serious look at what we have at this position. If Riley can't play at the D1 level or gets injured early because of his small frame, we could be looking at an 0-fer next year.

I realize that the recruiting season brings renewed optimism every year. Lets all remember the posts here this time last year that had us winning 6-9 games. That said, everyone can fire away at my negativity.

Edited by UNT90

Guest GrayEagleOne

My first thought when I saw that Baine would be added to the quarterbacks was that he is too short. Then again, he's about the same height as Riley. He was a good quarterback in high school but I'm worried that he gets lost in this system. Maybe my fears are baseless; I hope so. I do have more confidence in him than the myriad of players that became high school quarterbacks (Cook, Hamilton, Bush, etc.).

Eligibility wise, this season (it's 09 and we should be talking about this season, not next year) will be his Junior year. Last season was his sophomore year.

I am so happy that Baine will be given a shot at QB. It gives me an underdog to support.

Wouldn't Tune be an underdog as well?

What is the skinny on Baine? This will be his RS Freshman year?

How little does Dodge really understand the problem? Gleaning from the quotes in the articles, he answers it himself:

"I can't imagine why any player that sees 20 starts in his first two years would want to leave a school," coach Dodge said.

No? Gee, I wonder why, too. Oh, nevermind...here's the answer:

He said that he plans to make no changes his offensive strategy....

Yeah. The strategy that led to little pass protection, few bona fide receivers on the field, and decisions to kick field goals late in games we trailed by several touchdowns.

Reading Dodge and Villareal is like watching a child continually try to reach up onto the stove or try to stick their fingers into electical outlets. It's just sad.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

How little does Dodge really understand the problem? Gleaning from the quotes in the articles, he answers it himself:

"I can't imagine why any player that sees 20 starts in his first two years would want to leave a school," coach Dodge said.

Yeah. The strategy that led to little pass protection, few bona fide receivers on the field, and decisions to kick field goals late in games we trailed by several touchdowns.

Reading Dodge and Villareal is like watching a child continually try to reach up onto the store or try to stick their fingers into electical outlets. It's just sad.

There is strategy and there is execution. Nothing is terribly wrong with the strategy - ie quick strike, spread offense. It is the execution of said strategy that has been lacking especially last season. Dodge need not change strategy he only needs to improve execution.

I suppose that anyone who is not wearing #11 would be considered an underdog. But Tune at least got on the field during the regular season, my adopted player did not.....except for the charity series in the last game.

I am curious whether people have a problem with Riley being the heir apparent to the QB throne. From what I have seen Riley can do really well. Sure, there is a few who wonder about his longevity but can't that apply to anyone/everyone? I know I have said it before... but, it sounds like some take issue with Riley and, to my knowledge, he hasn't done anything wrong. He looked good last year, he looked amazing in high school... I can't wait to see what he brings and from what we have at qb right now he seems like the best/obvious choice to take over.

I am curious whether people have a problem with Riley being the heir apparent to the QB throne. From what I have seen Riley can do really well. Sure, there is a few who wonder about his longevity but can't that apply to anyone/everyone? I know I have said it before... but, it sounds like some take issue with Riley and, to my knowledge, he hasn't done anything wrong. He looked good last year, he looked amazing in high school... I can't wait to see what he brings and from what we have at qb right now he seems like the best/obvious choice to take over.

My main concern for Riley, other than a lack of size, is lack of arm strength to play QB at this level. Hopefully he is a stud. We shall see.

I am looking forward to the QB competition, and glad to see Dodge will give everyone a shot. I, for one, have no problems with Riley being our QB if he wins the battle and starts. The kid has shown to be not only a winner on the field in HS but a solid citizen as well and pretty darn good in the classroom. I, too, wonder why some folks want to knock the kid and give Dodge grief about Riley. Sour apples perhaps, but come on let's see where this takes the program. Sure, he may get hurt, but so could anyone, sure he is a bit small by D1 standards these days, but we can all name college and pro QB's with the smae "knock" that went on to great and successfil careers. Just because you keep the same offensive philosophy from one year to the next is no reason to complain. The philosophy was not the major problem, as was earlier noted, execution had a big part to play in what happened last season. That, and being outmanned at several positions along the o and D lines. No fault of UNT's "guys", just a fact of D1 life.

I think some folks are like those folks who boo'ed President Bush on inauguration day...they, for whatever reason, just have decided to dislike the guy and will find whatever reason they need to be negative. Winning so few games the last two years is tough on everyone, but mostly the players and the coaches. No one wants a repeat of that in 2009, and I, for one, think 2009 will shape up to be much better in the W/L area and in on-field and off-field performance. We have already seen the positive impact Coach Dodge and his staff have had on classroom performance, we have seen him bring in some new coaches for 2009...including a great new strength and conditioning coach...and we are seeing what is looking like another solid recruiting class. And, folks, Coach Dodge will himself have one more year of head coaching experience at the D1 level. All positives in my book.

GO MEAN GREEN! RENEW/BUY SEASON TICKETS...Rears in the seats will help move this program forward.

Reading Dodge and Villareal is like watching a child continually try to reach up onto the store or try to stick their fingers into electical outlets. It's just sad.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You guys need to get on board with Riley Dodge. He loved UNT enough to pass on a chance to win a national championship at Texas to come here. Vizza loved UNT so much he walked away from our starting QB position to go play intramural football and chant with male cheerleaders down in College Station. Riley is OUR GUY. His dad was big enough to play big-time college football and Riley is too. He's not playing left tackle. Riley is probably the most-decorated recruit to ever sign with us. He is big time and he is ours. He should be the face of the franchise and we will worship him like we worshipped Johnny Quinn and Patrick Cobbs. Expect BIG THINGS from Riley.

What is the skinny on Baine? This will be his RS Freshman year?

I followed Chase at Lake Dallas. LD coaches mentioned Chase was offered "Ships" to Navy, Air Force, and Buffalo to play QB. Chase was a two sport guy and played baseball and signed to play with Sam Houston State. Sounds like from other website......He missed football.

http://www.untfootball.net/24baine.html

I cant wait for spring........I will will be there APRIL 4th!!!!!!

baine put up some pretty nice stats even while sharing the backfield with Justin Hill (Rice full ride). over 3000 total yards his senior year. Can throw the ball, but strong suit seemed to be running. had over 200 carries senior year, did not miss a down. pretty tough kid. play maker, finesse thrower, good decision maker, minimal turnovers. i think riley will have good competition for the job. dont know much about Tune. Dodge obviously is a rare talent, the job is his barring injury i would assume.

There is strategy and there is execution. Nothing is terribly wrong with the strategy - ie quick strike, spread offense. It is the execution of said strategy that has been lacking especially last season. Dodge need not change strategy he only needs to improve execution.

Man, I'm gonna get fired for breaking out into applause at work...well said.

This post is absolutely ridiculous. If you only knew why Vizza really left, and I'll give you a big hint...nothing in life is guaranteed, and someone felt a little threatened by the depth chart. It has nothing to do with offensive strategy, playcalling, etc. And the funny thing is, the team is much better off because of this exit.

Edited by UNT Mean Green

You guys need to get on board with Riley Dodge. He loved UNT enough to pass on a chance to win a national championship at Texas to come here. Vizza loved UNT so much he walked away from our starting QB position to go play intramural football and chant with male cheerleaders down in College Station. Riley is OUR GUY. His dad was big enough to play big-time college football and Riley is too. He's not playing left tackle. Riley is probably the most-decorated recruit to ever sign with us. He is big time and he is ours. He should be the face of the franchise and we will worship him like we worshipped Johnny Quinn and Patrick Cobbs. Expect BIG THINGS from Riley.

Great post. We are very lucky to have a player like Riley Dodge on this team, and the fact that he is most likely going to be leading this offense is very comforting to myself and many people involved in the North Texas football program.