The Full Statement From Vizza

Brett Vito

My only question is this: Is Gio the first of more to leave the program? Honestly, I won't be surprised if more leave in the wake of Gio hanging up his Mean Green jersey.

During the season, I had heard that there might be another player or two that wants to leave the program.

Do not worry, his great basketball team is choking away another season so he is just upset.

Once again...shots at the basketball team on the football board is like Sam Bowie score-boarding Michael Jordan for being drafted after him...MASSIVE FAIL.

Glad I didn't leave after rough freshman and sophomore seasons. Glad I continued to work hard, persevere, and lead. I left UNT with my head held high, as well.

Mitch Maher

Mitch,

What are your thoughts on the past two seasons under Coach Dodge, what were your expectations... Thanks

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Glad I didn't leave after rough freshman and sophomore seasons. Glad I continued to work hard, persevere, and lead. I left UNT with my head held high, as well.

I truly wish Gio the best and appreciate his time at UNT, but the whole idea of leaving your team with two years remaining (a team that needs you) just kinda makes my stomach turn.

Maybe kids are just different now... Mitch's comments reminded me of when I was 2 years into my stay at UNT. While I was not on athletic scholarship and thus not "committed" to the university, I still felt a sense of ownership in the school after being around other students, the community, and the faculty.

Maybe the UNT die hards like myself just want some of that same passion from the student athletes - I remember knowing a lot of those athletes during my time at UNT that wouldn't have dreamed of playing anywhere else. I know that some of our kids today still feel that passion - obviously some others do not.

Best of luck Gio - hope you're able to find what you're looking for

Gio left with class, head high, and had the whole team behind him, that is enough said about who he was as a player and person.

I am sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with those who think this was some kind of grand, classy thing Gio did. He made a commitment and he backed out on it. In my book that is quitting. Ask some of our seniors who just left, like a Chad Rose who started his first two years and then played off and on after Dodge arrived. Think he might have wanted to quit a few times? If I was him, it would have crossed my mind, but he stayed, worked his tail off and honored his commitment. Thats more of a class act in my book and indicative of a true leader.

Well, I haven't had time to keep track of all that has been written about the QB situation on the board today, but am I the only one who's interested in seeing what Nathan Tune and others still on the team who played that position in HS can do when given a chance? Not saying that Riley cannot be the man, but the paramount consideration for him right now should be his health. I don't know for sure that the concussion against Rice last year was the first he's suffered.

Dwayne Taylor

Edited by eulessismore

Very eloquent resignation letter written last May. Circumstances and other opportunities pop up for people from all walks of life, don't they?

oldguystudent seems to be referring to my resignation from Fellowship Bible Church in Jonesboro, AR that took place in May 2008. The difference, it seems to me, is that after six years of good, hard work, I left Fellowship at the height of its strength. We had a built a solid church with solid staff, excellent leadership teams, and great people. The church was not going through hardship at all, but was actually as strong as it had ever been. So, I do not feel like I left my buddies on staff, the great Elder Team we had assembled, nor any of the people in our church during a difficult time. It seems to me Vizza had done this, and I'm just glad I didn't.

While oldguystudent brought up a good point for me to ponder as I consider Vizza's departure, I don't think the circumstances are the same.

Mitch Maher

P.S. I still kills me that everybody has their code-names on this thing. Can you all start posting your names please, especially as you rip Coach Dodge and the rest (or even take a poke at me). I'm uneasy with Vizza's decision and don't agree with it. If he reads this (and I'm pretty sure he won't), at least he won't have to wonder who I am.

oldguystudent seems to be referring to my resignation from Fellowship Bible Church in Jonesboro, AR that took place in May 2008. The difference, it seems to me, is that after six years of good, hard work, I left Fellowship at the height of its strength. We had a built a solid church with solid staff, excellent leadership teams, and great people. The church was not going through hardship at all, but was actually as strong as it had ever been. So, I do not feel like I left my buddies on staff, the great Elder Team we had assembled, nor any of the people in our church during a difficult time. It seems to me Vizza had done this, and I'm just glad I didn't.

While oldguystudent brought up a good point for me to ponder as I consider Vizza's departure, I don't think the circumstances are the same.

Mitch Maher

P.S. I still kills me that everybody has their code-names on this thing. Can you all start posting your names please, especially as you rip Coach Dodge and the rest (or even take a poke at me). I'm uneasy with Vizza's decision and don't agree with it. If he reads this (and I'm pretty sure he won't), at least he won't have to wonder who I am.

I hadn't realized what oldguy was referring to. Not even remotely parallel situations. When Vizza takes his first job after graduation, no one is expecting him to stay there for life. But North Texas coaches, players, and fans were all counting on him to stick around four years. He claims that his move is for the best interests of the Mean Green. I find that hard to believe--it seems to me like he left his team hanging.

Mitch, first of all, I only came across that letter because I googled you out of curiosity as to whether you'd played at UNT or not. My point in referencing it is that everybody comes to a time when a change is deemed appropriate. The circumstances between you and Vizza are likely not similar at all.

I think I unfairly took a poke at you just because the mentality around here seems to be that getting a scholarship to UNT is some kind of indentured servitude through which one should weather regardless of circumstances or situation. I believe the underlying reasons for this decision to run far deeper than a 1-11 record or competition with Riley Dodge, and I think Gio and his family thought long and hard before pulling the trigger. I'm also pretty certain that Vizza's parting was mutually agreed upon.

We were all 18-21 years old once, and we all made some good choices and some not so good choices. Most of us were able to do so without being in the spotlight of a D1A football program. It's easy for me now to sit on campus and wag my disapproving finger at students who don't go to class, don't buy their books, and whine when they don't get good grades, but it's also easy to forget what my priorities were and what level of commitment I had at that age.

It's really apparent that you're well respected among the older fans here, and I'm glad you were able to work hard, persevere and lead. On the flip side, as someone who's newly associated with this university, and who read your post without knowing you from anyone else, it was easy to infer that you are jumping on the "Gio is a quitter" bandwagon.

If this departure is mutually beneficial to the UNT football program and the Vizza family, then the personal venom that is flung at both sides of the equation is, to answer untjim1995's question, about the only thing that would drive me away from being a fan of this program.

I've been reading a lot of tripe from both sides today, your post came along, I came across that letter, and I took a reactionary pot shot. For that I apologize.

Mitch, first of all, I only came across that letter because I googled you out of curiosity as to whether you'd played at UNT or not. My point in referencing it is that everybody comes to a time when a change is deemed appropriate. The circumstances between you and Vizza are likely not similar at all.

I think I unfairly took a poke at you just because the mentality around here seems to be that getting a scholarship to UNT is some kind of indentured servitude through which one should weather regardless of circumstances or situation. I believe the underlying reasons for this decision to run far deeper than a 1-11 record or competition with Riley Dodge, and I think Gio and his family thought long and hard before pulling the trigger. I'm also pretty certain that Vizza's parting was mutually agreed upon.

We were all 18-21 years old once, and we all made some good choices and some not so good choices. Most of us were able to do so without being in the spotlight of a D1A football program. It's easy for me now to sit on campus and wag my disapproving finger at students who don't go to class, don't buy their books, and whine when they don't get good grades, but it's also easy to forget what my priorities were and what level of commitment I had at that age.

It's really apparent that you're well respected among the older fans here, and I'm glad you were able to work hard, persevere and lead. On the flip side, as someone who's newly associated with this university, and who read your post without knowing you from anyone else, it was easy to infer that you are jumping on the "Gio is a quitter" bandwagon.

If this departure is mutually beneficial to the UNT football program and the Vizza family, then the personal venom that is flung at both sides of the equation is, to answer untjim1995's question, about the only thing that would drive me away from being a fan of this program.

I've been reading a lot of tripe from both sides today, your post came along, I came across that letter, and I took a reactionary pot shot. For that I apologize.

Nice post friend. Now get back to making some more of that rum banana bread.