Choosing Dodge Was A Bold But Risky Choice

HoustonEagle

What's the common thread? These opinions were formed way too early!

I believe Dodge can turn the program around. I'm sure his contract will not get an extension if we don't start performing, but I have every belief that his contract will be honored (i.e. 3 more years). If he doesn't, I have no problem giving the reigns to someone else.

I think you may be in the minority at this point. MT became the 10 team this season to score 40 or more points on us. I think many of us on this board see no real improvement, and are quickly losing faith in the leadership. The players have talent. At some point the excuses of them not executing what they've been taught get old.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well get ready then for another VERY long season next year. This team will do good to win 4 games next year, and that might just be a stretch.

4 games isn't just a stretch, that's a giant stretch while full on the green kool-aid!

It's not just the loses anymore....the circus came to town halfway through last season (racism charges) and hasn't left (players leaving/APR scores/drugs/arrests/etc). This program is a train wreck.

4 games isn't just a stretch, that's a giant stretch while full on the green kool-aid!

It's not just the loses anymore....the circus came to town halfway through last season (racism charges) and hasn't left (players leaving/APR scores/drugs/arrests/etc). This program is a train wreck.

I totally agree. Now, where do we go from here?, and how do we get there? :(

Really I'm not defending Dodge here, but honestly, I think that teams have tried to NOT run up the score against us this year, as often as not. Or maybe that's even more damnable, teams feeling sorry for us. Wasn't MTSU playing a quarterback late in the game who didn't even have a number? And some plays a coach can't really tell a player not to make, like kickoff returns for touchdowns. I think that a more realistic theory for teams like OU is that margin of victory is part of the BCS rankings formula, therefore rewarding running up the score.

moneybegcopy.jpg

Some sobering totals on the season thus far:

Total points scored:

UNT 212

Opposition: 538

Average ppg

UNT: 19.3

Opposition: 48.9

Average game point differential: UNT -29.6

Ratio of opponents points to UNT points: 2.54

Fewest points allowed: 35

Most points scored: 51

Throwing out highest and lowest points scored and allowed:

Total points scored:

UNT 158

Opposition: 426

Average ppg

UNT: 17.6

Opposition: 47.3

Average game point differential: UNT -24.4

Ratio of opponents points to UNT points: 2.70

Fewest points allowed: 41

Most points scored: 30

Go to town Tasty.

If you believed Dickey needed to go, then the Dodge hire made sense.

At the time Dodge hire appeared to be a little risk, high reward hire. Exciting offense, recruiting connections, created a buzz.

There were two big questions about hiring Dodge.

1. Could he get college level assistant coaches.

2. Could he really recruit.

Now that the Dodge era has brought the program to a historic low, the question is not does this guy no what he's doing, but what can we do with him.

I now say let Dodge stick it out for year three. That way we at least get another batch of recruits out of him. I'm not sure anyone can get us out of this situation, so we might as well leave Dodge at the helm, while RV shops for a new coach.

The Dodge hire NEVER made sense. It was not a 'bold but risky choice'. It was a cheap, half-assed, stupid and small-minded choice. It is sickening to see what this bunch of administration clowns has 'achieved'. However, it does ALL make sense if you assume the proposition that the intent is to kill sports at North Texas. I send out a big 'F. YOU!' to everyone who was behind this. Thanks for the memories!

Four words: critical mass of destruction. It's coming, maybe already here. I for one will not continue to support this foolishness or proclaim any affiliation with UNT. It would be like proclaiming support for the Bush administration. Gain the respect and admiration of your peers! Wheeee!

Sure is...

1994 Cameron Yoe 3 7

1995 Cameron Yoe 5 5

1996 Carrollton Newman Smith 4 6

1997 Carrollton Newman Smith 5 5

1998 Keller Fossil Ridge 2 7

1999 Keller Fossil Ridge 5 5

He must be a helluva salesman. How the hell did he convince SLC to take a chance on him? Dodge had to have a nasty picture of the AD or something.

You guys need a good 1A Coorinator or Assistant Coach (o.k. a coordinator would cost too much). Why hire a high school coach when you can get a guy that has at least proven himself at his position at the 1A level? I knew the Todd Dodge hire was going to be the best thing ever, or the worst thing that could happen. Too much hype about your recruits and his coaching abilities too often. A coach needs time to turn things around, but the manner in which he is losing games is proof that he can't coach. It would be one thing to lose a lot of games, but to get hammered in almost every game indicates that he can't coach at this level. Your team is not improving as time goes on either. You should at least be competitive at this point in the year. We have had almost no running game all year and suddenly we score six TD's on the ground? It doesn't make sense. You guys need a new coach.

Dude...that's going too far and sad if true.

Yeah. When you get a headache, you don't chop off your head. :blink: Lets keep things in perspective. Things can't get much worse (Oh God please let me be right). So eventually things have to get better. 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, ...... We just don't know when or under what coach.

I don't think it is fair to say he was a total disaster. Like I said before, he was really hired to improve the offense; we sucked horrifically before he came. He came in and improved it. Problem is, that he cannot coach d-1 defense. He should have been hired as the o-coordinator a la the dude that went to Arkansas then went to Tulsa (they are lighting it up) and we should have gotten a college coach to take the reigns here.

More on the Tulsa guy, he brought back the Wildcat with McFadden, and inspired the Miami guys. I think Dodge is a good offensive mind. Head coach? Maybe after some time in the ranks to learn how to do things. I agree about the gamble not paying off.

Edited by aztecskin

I don't think it is fair to say he was a total disaster. Like I said before, he was really hired to improve the offense; we sucked horrifically before he came. He came in and improved it. Problem is, that he cannot coach d-1 defense. He should have been hired as the o-coordinator a la the dude that went to Arkansas then went to Tulsa (they are lighting it up) and we should have gotten a college coach to take the reigns here.

More on the Tulsa guy, he brought back the Wildcat with McFadden, and inspired the Miami guys. I think Dodge is a good offensive mind. Head coach? Maybe after some time in the ranks to learn how to do things. I agree about the gamble not paying off.

He was really hired to improve our offense? what?!

Some sobering totals on the season thus far:

Total points scored:

UNT 212

Opposition: 538

Average ppg

UNT: 19.3

Opposition: 48.9

Average game point differential: UNT -29.6

Ratio of opponents points to UNT points: 2.54

Fewest points allowed: 35

Most points scored: 51

Throwing out highest and lowest points scored and allowed:

Total points scored:

UNT 158

Opposition: 426

Average ppg

UNT: 17.6

Opposition: 47.3

Average game point differential: UNT -24.4

Those stats are totally unacceptable at any level of football and normally would be just cause to go another direction. It's sad that because we are so poor we have to continue to endure and accept poor performance. I doubt any other 3-20 program that has regressed in it's second year under a coach would continue down that road. Well maybe Smut that paid $2 million per year to be on that road. :lol:

He was really hired to improve our offense? what?!

Yes, 3 and out, followed by a pick, followed by a turnover, quarterback roulette and black unis. Our offense sucked. Everyone was excited about Dodge because he was going to bring Dodgeball to UNT. We were going to score, run and gun, and be exciting. There was a big banner on Fouts with Dodge, Jackson, and a diagram of a pass play. He was hired for his offensive 'genius'.

Well get ready then for another VERY long season next year. This team will do good to win 4 games next year, and that might just be a stretch.

That was basicly what was said last year about this year......TD needs to go....look at the stats, the neg publicity and how we are the worse team in unt history....why are all the excuses TD makes never an issue for the HC's we have had in the past....that is they have not totally humiliated the university....which is what TD has done in his short 2 years....Oh, we go some pub nationally last night for the Texas Tech /OU game....the last time OU scoured in the 70's was....you guessed it....UNT last year....ABC put that up on the TV screen for all to laugh at again....thanks once again TD.

FIRE DODGE.

You guys need a good 1A Coorinator or Assistant Coach (o.k. a coordinator would cost too much). Why hire a high school coach when you can get a guy that has at least proven himself at his position at the 1A level? I knew the Todd Dodge hire was going to be the best thing ever, or the worst thing that could happen. Too much hype about your recruits and his coaching abilities too often. A coach needs time to turn things around, but the manner in which he is losing games is proof that he can't coach. It would be one thing to lose a lot of games, but to get hammered in almost every game indicates that he can't coach at this level. Your team is not improving as time goes on either. You should at least be competitive at this point in the year. We have had almost no running game all year and suddenly we score six TD's on the ground? It doesn't make sense. You guys need a new coach.

Being lectured by a MUTS fan. :blink: UNT is truly at it's lowest point in athletic history.

Good win BlueRaiderFan.

Silver, please give an example of one. Tell us who really out in the realms of college football gives a damn what anybody here at good ole UNT has to say.

The ones who wanted this job and couldn't believe they got passed up for TD

The ones who wanted this job and couldn't believe they got passed up for TD

On the MT post-game broadcast the announcers talked about all the conference championship, national championship, and Super Bowl rings our coaching staff has. They made the point that our staff has struggled to put together an upper tier SBC team. Then they made the comment that it must be a very difficult job for a staff that has virtually no college experience to build a competitive team.

I know very little about Dodge's past, but we had a HS coach here in Murfreesboro who put together a HS dynasty. He was a decent HS coach but the reason why he was successful is he went out and recruited good players to move into his school's district. I've got to think Dodge did that at SLC and it played a huge part in his success.

I know very little about Dodge's past, but we had a HS coach here in Murfreesboro who put together a HS dynasty. He was a decent HS coach but the reason why he was successful is he went out and recruited good players to move into his school's district. I've got to think Dodge did that at SLC and it played a huge part in his success.

He would be banned as a high school coach in Texas if caught recruiting players to move into his district. Dodge began on the front wave of the spread offense frenzy in high school but hasn't been able to adjust his schemes at the college level. Other coaches now know how to coach and defend the spread too. It's been a fatal combination of injuries, player incidents and defections, mostly average players on the roster, better opponent coaching and not being able to adjust NT's coaching to any of it. <_<

He would be banned as a high school coach in Texas if caught recruiting players to move into his district. Dodge began on the front wave of the spread offense frenzy in high school but hasn't been able to adjust his schemes at the college level. Other coaches now know how to coach and defend the spread too. It's been a fatal combination of injuries, player incidents and defections, mostly average players on the roster, better opponent coaching and not being able to adjust NT's coaching to any of it. <_<

Do you think we need changes in the coaching staff? Maybe special teams?

He would be banned as a high school coach in Texas if caught recruiting players to move into his district.

Like I said, I'm not sure of the background. Recruiting is against the rules in Tennessee HS football also, but there are a few guys across the state who do it. Everyone knows they do it just no one has been able to come up with enough evidence to prove it.