We Shouldn't Have Fired Dickey

shaft

True, his antics finally caught up with him.

yngq9NmOnFw

In my mind, it was definitely time for Dickey to go when he took that week off mid-season and didn't even bother to show up for the game. I mean... You're halfway through your second straight losing season, and you're going to spend a week just laying around in bed and not even bothering to coach?!? Come on!!

I think that was even worse than the "Fan Appreciation Night" when we all had to line up single-file so that Dickey could urinate on us one by one. :P

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the "we don't have the resources" argument. Dicky and Simon had those same resources, and they did better than Dodge. According to Dozer, Dodge has more resources than Dickey but has done less. UNT has comparable funding to the rest of the Sun Belt, yet Dodge has done less than other conference coaches in their second year.

If the only benefit of Dodge is his popularity, then he's outlived his usefulness.

I don't understand the "we don't have the resources" argument. Dicky and Simon had those same resources, and they did better than Dodge. According to Dozer, Dodge has more resources than Dickey but has done less. UNT has comparable funding to the rest of the Sun Belt, yet Dodge has done less than other conference coaches in their second year.

If the only benefit of Dodge is his popularity, then he's outlived his usefulness.

Shaft,

Sunbelt don't you want better? I know that is where we play, but come on, we should be with our university, its age, and location in a better conference plain and simple. The Sun Belt is the bottom of the food chain in college football. Since most of the Belt seems to have caught us, it will take a miracle to pull off 4 championships in a row. Again, yes more resources for Dodge, but costs have increased substantially in just the past couple of years (travel, clothes, food, supplies, etc) and not to mention the other low revenue or non revenue sports teams that still have to travel. You think Southwest is charging the team the same to fly as it did in 2004 or heck, even in 2006 when Dickey was here? And by the way, the promise of the stadium is just that, a promise. There are some challenges to overcome before dirt flies, so we still have a toilet bowl to play in. And until some other changes are made before we bring in the next Bob Stoops of college football as you want, that is the only bowl we will be playing in. And by the way, one full year of recruiting is not a fair measure to any coach as to his usefulness and popularity. I just cannot believe that you cannot understand that blue chippers, all district players, even just guys who fly under the radar and are walk ons at the big programs (who would like the playing time) are not beating down the door to play here, and the reason has not been just who happens to have the head coaching title. It is all part, as I believe Adler has called it, a part of the "bigger problem".

So you bring in another coach, you still cannot afford any real experienced, solid assistants. Sorry, but Deloach is the exception. Most, that could make an immediate impact, can do better elsewhere. You and I have no knowledge of it being Dodge's stipulation to bring his assistants if he came here. Maybe there just is not enough salary money to spread around. We have had some great ones come through here, Flannigan comes to mind, and also that receiver (i think it was Kelvin Martin) who liked nose candy from the Cowboys. See, Dickey didn't have a bunch of preachers on his team and staff either! Yea, that is the sign of a program that pays coaches enough so they want to come here and grow their career. I want better than the Sun Belt, I do not like the argument that the other programs in the conference is our bar. It can and should be higher, the alumni should not stand for it, and should take as much pride as is taken at plenty of other schools. Compared to other programs at schools our size in this state (Rice, UH, TCU, UTEP, etc), we are a poorly funded football program and so is the rest of our athletic program. The third largest school in the second largest state in the US and the Sun Belt is the bar? Please! If you want to stay where we are, get maybe a championship every 7 years if we are lucky, then you are rooting for the right team in the right conference. Getting rid of Dodge is just going to lead to most of the same success we enjoyed since Fry. Oh boy!

Edited by Green Dozer

My point is the "poor little UNT" argument doesn't apply.

1. Other coaches have won here (with less $$$)

2. Other schools have won with similar financial constraints (and yes I think the Sun Belt is an excellent benchmark for our program.)

3. According to Dozer, Dodge has more financial resources than previous coaching staffs.

Dickey had the exact same "asset" constraints, and put out a better product. Arkansas State has the same constraints and puts out a better product.

Don't know about the stadium................that issue on the part of the administration has sure gone quiet since the vote.

Dr. B wants $30 million put up by the alumni before dirt is turned in spite of the student vote. Bonds can't be floated in this economy,the City of Denton only wants to siphon off sales tax and hotel occupancy tax if and when the stadium comes, they show no support unlike Arlington and Jerry's World. The vote was great, but right now that's all we have and a damn sorry product on the field that won't encourage any donors to open their wallet. Dr. B continues to stick to her "sometime,some day" attitude toward funding the stadium. Yes she is playing politics with a controlling faculty, but o/s Norval Pohl what Pres. hasn't? And look what it got him in bucking the "tenured, uninterested, unmoved".

Dr. B wants $30 million put up by the alumni before dirt is turned in spite of the student vote. Bonds can't be floated in this economy,the City of Denton only wants to siphon off sales tax and hotel occupancy tax if and when the stadium comes, they show no support unlike Arlington and Jerry's World. The vote was great, but right now that's all we have and a damn sorry product on the field that won't encourage any donors to open their wallet. Dr. B continues to stick to her "sometime,some day" attitude toward funding the stadium. Yes she is playing politics with a controlling faculty, but o/s Norval Pohl what Pres. hasn't? And look what it got him in bucking the "tenured, uninterested, unmoved".

Well, at least she has been consistent in her message. This was what she has stated, even before the vote. I do not believe it has anything to do with a controlling faculty. Denton, like all cities, is facing the same problems as other cities in meeting the delivery of city services. Unfortunately, Denton does not have the tax base like Arlington, and we are not going to bring near the dollars, major events (multiple college games, Final Four, Super Bowl, NBA All Star Game, Cotton Bowl, etc.) like Jerry World. The argument of Denton not supporting this stadium, and Arlington doing so is an unreasonable argument. Fouts, even in its hay day, has not exactly had a major impact on tourism on game days. Many on this board chose to ignore Dr. B's statements, instead saying we would attract a corporate donor, funding with bonds, etc. would be no big deal. One poster said all that was needed to begin construction was the "yes" vote for the athletic fee, that was it.

Read today in the Dallas Morning News that the Cowboy Stadium has had an overrun in construction costs, which is not unusual in a big project like that, but Jerry Jones is really scrambling to find a loan in the amount of $350 million. Understandable given what has been going in the financial markets. Seems nobody is immune, and UNT won't be either.

Edited by Green Dozer

Well it looks like Dodge has some work to do.

If the Head Coach is the guy in charge of PR and Fund Raising as many on this board have stated.

Let's not put him charge of PR just yet, he has so much work to do with this team, he needs to focus on that (and it is even suspect that he can turn that around).

What is going on with the stadium - I thought we would be working at getting this thing off the ground by now.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Let's not put him charge of PR just yet, he has so much work to do with this team, he needs to focus on that (and it is even suspect that he can turn that around).

What is going on with the stadium - I thought we would be working at getting this thing off the ground by now.

First things first. We really can't do much of anything until the BOR gives their approval in ten days or so.

Yes, the BOR signoff is the next step. Also, the bond market has been really bad until just lately:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n1.4a38405.html

Yeah - we've really been taking this apart on the second VIP board. Lot's of interesting stuff in the air for sure.

If Tasty or Playmaker haven't given you access yet, I highly recommend you PM them.

Yeah - we've really been taking this apart on the second VIP board. Lot's of interesting stuff in the air for sure.

If Tasty or Playmaker haven't given you access yet, I highly recommend you PM them.

The Vegas over/under is set at 6.5 PMs by the end of the day. Gotta take the over.