Nt Daily Runs With Bogus Poll

UNTflyer

The Daily polled 300 random students and asked, "Do you support increasing student fees by $7 per credit hour to pay for a new football stadium?"

Results show 29 percent, or 87 students, said "yes," while 67 percent, or 201 students, said "no." Four percent, or 12 students, said they had no opinion.

I wonder how involved they are in the school and how much longer they had at the university - they might not be around for it. If that many people don't care or don't want it, maybe they won't show up at the polls. There are alot of factors that haven't been addressed as to why they would vote "NO".

Excluding the poll, this is actually one of the better articles I've seen from the NT Daily regarding the stadium. But I'm left wondering...has the cost already increased by $7 million??

Student government discusses new stadium

Student government discusses new stadium

Taylor Short

Issue date: 10/7/08 Section: NEWS

Student Government Association members and NT athletics director Rick Villarreal met Thursday to discuss how to inform students about the proposed $7 athletic fee increase that would help fund the new stadium.

Some ideas were to disperse flyers by mail or to insert them into each North Texas Daily newspaper. Toulouse School of Graduate Studies Sen. Derrick Murray suggested placing the information on the sides of campus buses and hiring "street preachers or troubadours."

Other students said the effectiveness of the Internet should be used. As of press time, the "Students for a New Stadium" Facebook group had 1,899 members, while the "Students against a New Stadium" had 225.

The Daily polled 300 random students and asked, "Do you support increasing student fees by $7 per credit hour to pay for a new football stadium?"

Results show 29 percent, or 87 students, said "yes," while 67 percent, or 201 students, said "no." Four percent, or 12 students, said they had no opinion.

"When you talk to students about something over and over, it gets repetitive, the message gets blurred and they're just turned off to it completely," SGA director of communications Brandon Reynolds said. "This is probably the biggest vote to be put in front of the students in the history of the university."

Reynolds said many students are still confused about the proposed athletics fee, which, if passed, would raise the fee from $3 per semester credit hour to $10 per semester credit hour upon completion of the stadium in fall 2011. The fee would be capped at 15 credit hours.

Villarreal answered questions and spoke about how the new stadium was a part of his plan when he started in 2001 and would alleviate many problems with Fouts Field.

"What we told [football coach Todd] Dodge is that it was our intention to build a stadium," Villarreal said. "I think he took the job with the understanding that part of his role and deal would be a new stadium."

Villarreal said Fouts Field has buckling concrete, power problems and no accessibility for the disabled. The proposed stadium would be the first football stadium in the nation to be built using the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System, featuring recycled materials and solar panels to assist with power. The stadium would also provide opportunities for student employment.

The athletics fee, if passed, could only account for half of the $60 million venue, according to state law. The remaining money must come from private donors or sponsors.

"We know we're still going to have to raise about $37 million ourselves," Villarreal said. "Right now, we're out raising private dollars; we know we're probably going to have some corporate partnerships."

Villarreal said there would be a tour of Fouts Field today at 6:30 p.m. for anyone who wants more information. He also emphasized the importance of the proposed stadium to the future of the university and the football program.

"If the decision is not to build a stadium, the football program will no longer be able to compete. It will continue to get worse and just become more of a detriment than a plus," he said. "When you're investing a penny and everyone else is investing a dollar, you're going to get what you get. That's just the reality of our program."

Hmmm...something is fishy with that math. One half of 60 equals 30, plus 37 equals 67.

I really like the author of the response below that was posted on the NT Daily site. I guess someone finally asked the question why the UNT athletic director promised a new stadium when he hired a coach when he didn't have the money at the time or even now to do so?

So Villareal promised a stadium with $60 million that he didn't have, $30 million of which will come from students, and we're expected to foot the bill? Am I reading this right? The AD of a university promised something, and so now everyone has to pitch in? Why should everyone else be held accountable to his ridiculous promises?

My favorite part is this:

"...the football program will no longer be able to compete. It will continue to get worse and just become more of a detriment than a plus,"

Uh, is it competing now? I'm assuming he saw the game against FIU, but if he did, he wouldn't have said something so asinine. Not to mention that there's really no way this team COULD get worse. Even Dodge seems to imply that. The penny analogy is good, considering right now if we're investing a "penny", it's putting us into debt, and now he wants us to invest a dollar into the same company. No wonder we're in a financial crisis

Edited by Pen Yan Fan

I don't like the manner in which the question was posed. I'm betting most of these 300 students aren't even aware of the arguments, the time line for implementing the fee, etc.

Nevermind that the referendum itself won't be decided by a random poll, but those passionate enough to show up and chose.

"If the decision is not to build a stadium, the football program will no longer be able to compete. It will continue to get worse and just become more of a detriment than a plus," he said. "When you're investing a penny and everyone else is investing a dollar, you're going to get what you get. That's just the reality of our program."

This has to be one of the dumbest comments to come out of RV's mouth! Good grief. If the student vote does not pass, RV should just resign. He certainly can't do the job on his own.

Edited by DeepGreen

The biggest difference I see between UNT and other FBS schools is this - when Texas A&M or UT or even SMU start doing poorly in sports, football in particular, the alumni, students and entire base of people associated with that school come together to attempt to resolve that problem....usually by investing more money...whether that be in the form of coaches salaries or facilities. When UNT is doing poorly, the vast majority of alumni (I'm not talking to most on this board), students and faculty would rather turn their backs on the program and ignore the problems that exist rather than face them and do it whatever it takes to correct them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan

posted 10/20/08 @ 11:33 AM CST

Let's forever archive this story so we can remember how shitty the NT Daily's "efficient and respected random poll" really is!

Congratulations, NT Daily. You are now 0-2 on your endorsements of athletic referendums.

Just wait, the NT Daily will now jump on board with the stadium for fear of being left behind. I can see them beginning to blast everyone for "waiting so long for such needed University improvements". Ha!

:blowup:

I don't like the manner in which the question was posed. I'm betting most of these 300 students aren't even aware of the arguments, the time line for implementing the fee, etc.

I just dont get those guys....This is a HUGE plus for the School, whether people voted for it or not. Now that's official, get behind it. But instead, they'll just cant get away from getting a "dig" in there, protraying "Joe the student" as some sort of victim. Why do these people continually think Football is the anti-christ?

Everyone knows polls are easily manipulated depending on the demographics you canvas.....or......you just make up numbers for the polling results. All have been done in the past..........and...........present.

Or the results are the opinions of the people who choose to reply. Self selection bias is a nasty thing. Only those with strong opinions tend to respond to these types of polls.

Just wait, the NT Daily will now jump on board with the stadium for fear of being left behind. I can see them beginning to blast everyone for "waiting so long for such needed University improvements". Ha!

:blowup:

So you're saying that they might leave the ship of the anti-stadium crowd...like maybe leap, hop or spring off...like certain nefarious rodents might?

So you're saying that they might leave the ship of the anti-stadium crowd...like maybe leap, hop or spring off...like certain nefarious rodents might?

What is clear is that the anti-stadium crowd doesn't need those type of people on the ship anyway and will be better for having lost them.