Mean Green Vs. Tulsa

chrisfisher

Note: Tulsa Stats in parentheses...

We had 25 first downs (27), 203 yards rushing (135), 30 of 45 passing for 247 yards with no interceptions (27/35/0 for 420) with total offense of 450 yards (555). We had the ball for 32 minutes, more than half the game and were 3 for 3 in the red zone. So far it actually looks like good output... the killer stats that lead to our defeat..... our QB sacked 4x, 5 of 15 on 3rd downs, 3 fumbles with 2 lost, Tulsa averaged 24 yards per kick off return and was 6 of 7 in the red zone.

Vizza has definitely cut down on interceptions... I have to give him that.... and our boys played hard no matter the score... the first half was especially demoralizing too.....

What matters the most is the final score....it was 42-10 at halftime and 56-26 at the end. NT looked like they did not belong in D1 football much less than on the field tonight. I may be talking like I am PMSing but it is what it is. Screw me.

I hear you... I wasn't trying to sugar coat the arse whooping we took. I was just very surprised to see the numbers when I looked at the stats.... I thought I'd be looking at "beat down" stats.... had we converted on 3 downs and had any semblance of a red zone defense, the score could have been a whole different story..... nonetheless, that was embarrassing tonight....

Note: Tulsa Stats in parentheses...

We had 25 first downs (27), 203 yards rushing (135), 30 of 45 passing for 247 yards with no interceptions (27/35/0 for 420) with total offense of 450 yards (555). We had the ball for 32 minutes, more than half the game and were 3 for 3 in the red zone. So far it actually looks like good output... the killer stats that lead to our defeat..... our QB sacked 4x, 5 of 15 on 3rd downs, 3 fumbles with 2 lost, Tulsa averaged 24 yards per kick off return and was 6 of 7 in the red zone.

Vizza has definitely cut down on interceptions... I have to give him that.... and our boys played hard no matter the score... the first half was especially demoralizing too.....

I agree, the stats are definitely surprising considering the beating we took. The turnovers killed us. Vizza's line looks okay and he had some nice runs, but with Riley's redshirt off, I don't know how much more time Vizza has left as UNT's starting QB.

I agree, the stats are definitely surprising considering the beating we took. The turnovers killed us. Vizza's line looks okay and he had some nice runs, but with Riley's redshirt off, I don't know how much more time Vizza has left as UNT's starting QB.

the turnovers didn't kill us. we were already out of it before we started turning it over.

I hear you... I wasn't trying to sugar coat the arse whooping we took. I was just very surprised to see the numbers when I looked at the stats.... I thought I'd be looking at "beat down" stats.... had we converted on 3 downs and had any semblance of a red zone defense, the score could have been a whole different story..... nonetheless, that was embarrassing tonight....

Oh I know you were not trying to sugar coat it...its just funny that despite having not bad stats at the end of the game we just seemed to lose by 30 and get whooped. On the bright side we did win the second half 16-14......SCOREBOARD!!!!

I respectfully disagree. I feel that the muffed catch on the kick return by Dunbar absolutely took us out of the game. Up until that point there was a chance of us coming back.

I appreciate you disagreeing respectfully. :) I think there needs more of that on this board.

but it was already 28-7. and we weren't moving the ball well at all. I don't think the turnovers had any significant impact on the game other than adding an extra td.

I appreciate you disagreeing respectfully. :) I think there needs more of that on this board.

but it was already 28-7. and we weren't moving the ball well at all. I don't think the turnovers had any significant impact on the game other than adding an extra td.

Yeah, good points. I think I had too much of the Mean Green Punch and in my optimistic head I thought a comeback was possible.

Good stats, but how many times did Tulsa score in 3-4 plays? From a short field. IMHO, our stats are deceiving.

Yip. To get a fair look at the stats, just run the first half stats then add the 3rd quarter stats to those and that would give you a better idea.

I respectfully disagree. I feel that the muffed catch on the kick return by Dunbar absolutely took us out of the game. Up until that point there was a chance of us coming back.

Sorry, but we weren't going to come back.

QUOTE(Travis @ Sep 6 2008, 11:14 PM)

the turnovers didn't kill us. we were already out of it before we started turning it over.

Ah, I was wondering who muffed that. Well, I was thinking at the time that that guy wouldn't get another shot at returning kicks. However, I think he did well later on and did get us some good return yardage. I think we'll have to cut that freshman some slack, he will make a lot of big plays for us, I believe. I have to agree about that killing any chance of coming back. It would have been extremely difficult at any rate, but up till the muffed kickoff, possible. Overall, however, the game was lost on the line of scrimmage.

QUOTE(Travis @ Sep 6 2008, 11:14 PM)

Ah, I was wondering who muffed that. Well, I was thinking at the time that that guy wouldn't get another shot at returning kicks. However, I think he did well later on and did get us some good return yardage.

For what it's worth, the guys on the radio broadcast said that other than that muffed kick return, Dunbar had an excellent game. Unfortunately, most of the time the bad plays are more memorable than the good ones. Hopefully he'll learn from that one mistake and build on his successes.

I was at the game and do not know Tulsa well enough to answer this question. Did we out score Tulsa in the second half against their first string? Or did they pull the first string? This shows shows huge improvements in our defense in just 2 quarters if it was against the first string.

I was at the game and do not know Tulsa well enough to answer this question. Did we out score Tulsa in the second half against their first string? Or did they pull the first string? This shows shows huge improvements in our defense in just 2 quarters if it was against the first string.

I am really curious to know about the above question. Does anyone know?

You can't be serious. The dude hits almost 70% of his passes has two TD passes dropped, throws two more scores, has several others dropped and he needs to be replaced. Have you seen Riley Dodge throw against the UNT defense, ever in a scrimmage or practice?

Riley is a tremendous talent. But lets not go there yet? Gio can only throw it, he can't catch them too as mentioned by the TV boys.

They pretty much played their first string through the whole game. Yes, we played a better second half. In fact, we outscored Tulsa in the 2nd half.

My brother, a big stats guy, called me today and said "If I didn't see the score, I'd say you guys played it tight."

Of course, no matter how you slice it it was an ugly game. Poor tackling, sputtering offense, special teams mistakes. But we have to remember that we have 5/8 of the roster comprised of freshmen and sophomores.

The stats are of little comfort. I just hope as our young players get more experience, they'll improve on their execution and pull in a few wins. We have three other Sun Belt teams who are winless, and I'm now just looking at how we compete in conference play. I think we can win 3, maybe 4 conference games.

I just hope the coaches and the players don't read all this crap. Those players on both sides of the line of scrimmage are never taking a play off. They are giving it all they have. You have guys busting their butts and you can tell they are giving it all they have. UNT is asking a lot out of way too many true freshman and sophomores to carry the load.

Dodge's first recruiting class will be winners and set the new bar but its a few years away. One day, we will thank that first recruiting class of Todd Dodge for persevering through this and paving the way for future teams by never giving up and being big time contributors.

Edited by Dodge2007