Who Would Be On Your North Texas Mt. Rushmore?

UNTLifer

The Houston Chronicle had a brief article stating Houston's athletic Mt. Rushmore would be: Hakeem Olajuwan, Nolan Ryan, Craig Biggio and Earl Campbell. This got me to thinking about NT's Mt. Rushmore. Who would you pick? Me:

Abner Haynes

Joe Greene

Odus Mitchell

Joe Hamilton

I debated a few others such as Hayden Fry and Don January. Fry would be easily recognizable, but I think Mitchell did more considering he recruited players of color long before the SWC and had quite a bit of success in the late 60's. I also chose Joe Hamilton to represent something other than football.

There should be some great names on this list. I look forward to everyone's input.

Edited by UNTLifer

The Houston Chronicle had a brief article stating Houston's athletic Mt. Rushmore would be: Hakeem Olajuwan, Nolan Ryan, Craig Biggio and Earl Campbell.

Hakeem, Craig and Earl.

No way on journeyman Nolan Ryan, unless they put it where it belongs, right behind a sculpture of Mike Scott.

This got me to thinking about NT's Mt. Rushmore. Who would you pick? Me:

Abner Haynes

Joe Greene

Odus Mitchell

Joe Hamilton

Abner Haynes, Joe Green, Don January and Ann Sheridan (strictly for aesthetics) :D

Guest GrayEagleOne

Well, Lifer, all of those listed who have passed through Houston sports were players. So, omitting coaches and managers, I would replace Odus Mitchell with Don January. In fact, as great a coach as Odus Mitchell was (Texas Sports Hall of Fame), I'd have to put Hayden Fry ahead of him. Joe Hamilton was a fantastic basketball player but I think that Kenneth Lyons meant more to North Texas basketball than any other.

If I included coaches then my list would be:

Joe Greene

Abner Haynes

Don January

Hayden Fry

If not,

Joe Greene

Abner Haynes

Don January

Ray Renfro

Abner Haynes--the face of integrated football at NT and a pro and hall of famer.

Joe Greene--biggest splash in the pros fro NT

Tony Worrell--the face of our first trip to the big dance

Don January--national championships in the fledgling NCAA golf tournament and pro extraordinare

DD maybe if he had exited here gracefully, Not to take anything away from his accomplishments

As someone who grew up in New England and attended NT from 00-04. I cant estimate the impact some of the others had outside Hayden, Mean Joe and Abner

So for me

Hayden

Abner Hayes

Mean Joe

Patrick Cobbs

Honorable Mention to Norval

Also when the mythical stadium appears Rick V will have to get consideration

Edited by Green Nightmare

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I have been to Mt. Rushmore twice, and I can say that there is hardly anything more different from the terrain in Denton. However, assuming a major geological event, I would say Kennedy, Smith, Hall and Cobbs. This is a football forum after all.

I have been to Mt. Rushmore twice, and I can say that there is hardly anything more different from the terrain in Denton. However, assuming a major geological event, I would say Kennedy, Smith, Hall and Cobbs. This is a football forum after all.

That's a very contemporary group. Why not go back more than 5-7 years? No Mean Joe?

Greene

Fry

Haynes

Fouts

How in the world do you all put DD on the list? His overall record is horrendous. He doesn't even come close to Mitchell or Fry.

Bad attitude/overall record aside, he is the only coach to take us to more bowl games than any other coach in our history. That is my sole reason for consideration. What keeps him off the list for me is the manner he left the program.

Edited by UNTFan23

Guest Aquila_Viridis

That's a very contemporary group. Why not go back more than 5-7 years? No Mean Joe?

I agree. I struggled with that, but I never got to see Mean Joe play for NT. I had a hard time choosing between Cobbs and Quinn, by the way.