Double Standard For Dodge Vs. Dickey

Reader's quote:

Zach T. weighed in with the following today:

"Here's the funny thing, hypocritical really...Darrell Dickey got accused of whining when he spoke about the need for better facilities; Dodge mentions it, and people praise him. Yes, my alma mater's football fans are indeed that stupid and superficial...with memory banks equal to that of sheep. Wake me up when Dodge has four consecutive bowl teams. To me, a coach going 2-10 then running around giving his opinion about the stadium, etc...please. He's the moron who came in saying there'd be no excuses. Gee, things sure do look different from the drivers seat, eh, Todd? Dope."

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

My response to Zach T.:

When exactly did Todd Dodge accuse Darrell Dickey of whining--for anything, especially for needing a new stadium? Thus, your argument of why Todd Dodge is a "hypocrite, moron," and "dope" turns right back on you, Zach T.

I don't know any supporter of UNT athletics who ever disagreed that we need a new stadium. And what Dodge has done is express confidence that we WILL have a new stadium in 2010. Hardly comparable to saying coaching at UNT is "the worst job ever"--now is it?

That is ridiculous. Dodge isn't blaming his situation or the 2-10 season on facilities. He just stated that he was told by RV when he was hired that a new stadium would be in place by 2010. He also stated that this was necessary for NT to reach its full potential. I don't see that as placing blame or poor mouthing the school/program like Dickey did.

Zach T....if there really is a Zach T and Vito wasn't just trying to "spice it up" a bit...all I can say is PURE GARBAGE, Man, PURE GARBAGE!!!! You have NO CLUE what you are talking about. I know of no real UNT fan who has not discussed the need for a new stadium for many years. TD was in no way being critical nor was he blaming any losses on the stadium. I won't stoop to you level with the name calling, but just how closely realted to DD are you?????

wow nice to see all the closet DD fans coming out of the closet to attack Dodge.

Pretty ridiculous uninformed comments, but hey I am sure Vito is sporting some nice furniture making wood seeing that he is getting some hits on his blog.

That is ridiculous. Dodge isn't blaming his situation or the 2-10 season on facilities. He just stated that he was told by RV when he was hired that a new stadium would be in place by 2010. He also stated that this was necessary for NT to reach its full potential. I don't see that as placing blame or poor mouthing the school/program like Dickey did.

This Zach T. guy is either clueless and does not understand the difference between positive and negative (surely he did not graduate if he ever attended UNT) or he is just a troll trying to piss in everyone's corn flakes. I wonder who that would be?

This Zach T. guy is either clueless and does not understand the difference between positive and negative (surely he did not graduate if he ever attended UNT) or he is just a troll trying to piss in everyone's corn flakes. I wonder who that would be?

The size of your fan base really sucks when you can narrow the number of dissidents down to a number less than 5.

I don't remember Dodge ever saying that this is the worst job in college football. DD did, and that is why he lost the fans. Dodge has merely said that he was told that there would be a new stadium and that he believes a new stadium would further the program. What Dodge has done here is nothing like what DD did. Of course, maybe this Zach T is right, we are all, of course, m'fers.

Plumm, it's good to have you back! :)

You made some good points. I believe that UNT's expectation (as I've maintained) should ALWAYS be to win the SBC. Every year. If this year's team doesn't come close--that's unacceptable, and there shouldn't be a double-standard.

There is no question that the Belt has improved by leaps and bounds in the past few years talent-wise. UNT is no longer the bully on the block, and that concerns me, because due to the advantages the MG have recruiting wise, location-wise, etc., they should ALWAYS be the bully on the block.

The other thing is--you are always going to have internet know-nothings who believe the coach should be fired because he doesn't style his hair right, or whatever, and the new guy can do no wrong for a couple of years. (Frantastic!) There are others that no matter what they do, or what success they have--they suck. (Greg Davis). Dickey is in this category, and I'm not even bringing the entire Twilight Zone/Black Jersey/Mayberry UFC episodes in the stands with fans, or the idiotic comments overheard by boosters into the equation. That stuff happens, its just that at UNT it is magnified because of the fans proximity to the program--which exists at very few other D1 schools, if any.

Anyway--I foresee the conference powers in the SBC being UNT and the Florida schools for a long time if things go as they naturally should, but this will not happen without getting the recruiting classes to perform at the level expected, and maintain the recruiting level by WINNING, and making the facilities upgrades necessary to help feed the money machine and thereby drive recruiting even more. Specifically, there needs to be production from the last two classes THIS YEAR. By production, and after looking at this years schedule, I expect and believe 6 wins is reasonable. Anything less, and frankly, I will be disappointed. There shouldn't be a double standard.

This is still a honeymoon period for TD. I think you're being unrealistic to a degree to expect otherwise, although I think your take is right on.

I got to talk to Vito a couple years ago at practice and took away from the encounter that he is a nice guy trying to do his job as effectively as he can. UNT could do a lot worse with their coverage.

Oh, and HELLSBELLS! (I had to get that in there for PMG.)

I've said it before but it needs repeating. Despite the train-crash manner in which his tenure here ended, every one of us owes coach Dickey a thanks.

Darrell Dickey delivered championships.

How often have we been able to speak of championships at North Texas? I doubted that I would live to see a North Texas bowl victory. But there I was, in New Orelans, celebrating a bowl victory just like any other college sports fan. And for that I happily thank coach Dickey.

It's best for all that he's gone. Best for the program and best for him. His time here was finished, and his bunker mentality and the bad blood between himself and fans and the university was hurting the program. But that doesn't erase his accomplishments.

I eagerly look forward to the future of UNT football under coach Dodge. But I honor the past under coach Dickey.

I believe his name calling of Dodge ("hypocritical, moron, dope") would have to at least insinuate that Dodge accused Dickey of doing what Dodge is now guilty of.

I don't know if you could call it a double standard when we all gave Dickey a free ride his first year. His second year is when his play calling started driving me crazy, and then his "me vs. them" (us) attitude that he took on certainly wore thin. If Dodge were to start doing those things, I imagine he would lose a lot of the leeway he has been given to this point. It is like the kid who always causes trouble in class--the teacher is liable to send him to the principal's office as soon as she sees him talking. But she probably will give a break to the new kid who seems to be respectful. That may be a double standard in a sense, but I fail to see how that makes the new good kid a "hypocrite, moron," or "dope."

I'm not trying to bash Dickey. I wish him well, I really do. But I think that it is not fair to assess what Dodge says by the standard that Dickey at least in some respects brought on himself.

I don't think anyone is being a hypocrite. How many years did it DD to get those conference championships? Did we have that expectation of DD in his second year? DD was a victim of himself. If he had endeared himself to the fans, then we would have been more forgiving of a couple of losing seasons after 4 straight years of winning. By making the fans his enemy, he made his bed. The minute that we had cause, we wanted him gone. That's how this whole thing works. He made it so.

Edited by forevereagle

there is a double standard but it's based on many things. mostly because it's fr e aki ng dodge's second year! there's room for patience now and in the near future.

I will give one example from last season's finale that I find very hard to stomach, and it still leaves a sour taste going into this season. The fact is we lost our last 2007 game to a team with the nation's longest losing streak. When asked what happened, one of the assistant's said "they just had BETTER ATHLETES". If a team that had lost 26 straight games including a laugable 2006 debacle in Denton where both teams were too sorry to end a pathetic overtime game has better athletes--WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU ABOUT OUR 2007 ATHLETES? I find that response totally unacceptable and ridiculous if we are to compete in the SBC. This conference is MUCH better at the top than when NT was winning it, but to lose to the absolutely worst team in the conference and maybe in the nation and then say they have better athletes is about as defeatist and uninspiring as you can get. I still believe FB is a game of emotion and that being fired up can overcome a lot of physical talent shortcomings, that is why the games are played by players and not computers or sportswriters. Teams that have coaches who are inspired produce players that don't lose to FIU, give up a last minute TD to ASU that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory, make below average ULL backs look like Heisman candidates, and slop through a game with not yet 1-A WKU in the home finale!!

I don't think anyone is being a hypocrite. How many years did it DD to get those conference championships? Did we have that expectation of DD in his second year? DD was a victim of himself. If he had endeared himself to the fans, then we would have been more forgiving of a couple of losing seasons after 4 straight years of winning. By making the fans his enemy, he made his bed. The minute that we had cause, we wanted him gone. That's how this whole thing works. He made it so.

Excellent point.

Be it fair or not. TD is going to get some mileage out of this fan base for being positive about the program

Yes we owe a ton to DD. However he was victim of his own success. He developed a formula that led to conference titles. However when the league caught up to us he refused to change the system or the coordinators.

TD recognized a deficiency, Mendoza, and made a tough decision to correct it.

DD's attitude and actions were standoffish with the fan base and administration. TD seems to be willing to work with us all.