More On Horton

flyeater

It's sad, really pathetic that Horton couldn't come through three (maybe four) schools without enough credits for an associate's degree. That he was allowed to sail along with insufficient academic progress not only indicts him, but whoever or whatever should have been at his disposal to get him to point B -- in his case a UNT degree and football career.

I'm not sure how much I agree with the closing statements in that blog. I agree that it is a shame Horton was unable to meet his academic obligations (although he faced some difficult family situations), but it reads to me like Philips is implying that it's North Texas's fault that Horton didn't get his associates. I'm not sure I agree with that. How much responsibility can we place on academic advisors in Texas to ensure the academic success of a student in Mississippi? It's not like they could go do a room check and make sure Horton was in his room studying.

I feel for the kid, but it is his responsibility to take care of grades, and to seek help when he struggles.

Edited by untgirl04

Guest JohnDenver

I'm not sure how much I agree with the closing statements in that blog. I agree that it is a shame Horton was unable to meet his academic obligations (although he faced some difficult family situations), but it reads to me like Philips is implying that it's North Texas's fault that Horton didn't get his associates. I'm not sure I agree with that. How much responsibility can we place on academic advisors in Texas to ensure the academic success of a student in Mississippi? It's not like they could go do a room check and make sure Horton was in his room studying.

I feel for the kid, but it is his responsibility to take care of grades, and to seek help when he struggles.

I don't read that is blames UNT at all. It says that it is a shame that all the steps along the way prevent him from his future (in his case, UNT football career).

I don't read that is blames UNT at all. It says that it is a shame that all the steps along the way prevent him from his future (in his case, UNT football career).

That he was allowed to sail along with insufficient academic progress not only indicts him, but whoever or whatever should have been at his disposal to get him to point B -- in his case a UNT degree and football career.

I suppose it's just another way of reading. Perhaps I'm projecting a bit what others on this board have posted as well.

Folks...bottom line here...tghe fault is Horton's and Horton's alone! Seems he had been gioven more than one opportunity to be successful. Time to place the blame...if blame is the word here...at the feet where it belongs...Horton's. The good news is that he never came and didn't take up development and playing time for a kid who will be successful at UNT. If he was given a scholarship, i assume we can now use it on someone else...that's good news too. For me it would have been worse had he showed up and then left...which history says he would have at some point...probably early!

Good luck young Mr. Horton. I hope you get your act together as you are surely wasting some good athletic talent...I wish you a "new" life and success going forward....wherever and whatever that might be. You missed a great opportunity to play for the Mean Green, however.....

Maybe we can get a walk-on when practice opens up.

I agree. No matter how tough this young man had it, he was given a free education and he failed to hold up his end of the deal. There are thousands of kids who would crawl through broken glass to get an education at Auburn.

Edited by UNTflyer

There are thousands of kids who would crawl through broken glass to get an education at Auburn.

I'm not saying you're wrong...I just found this line really funny

Wow. Pretty judgmental.

For all we know this young man did pass all his classes, but was wrongly informed of which ones to take.

I can think of more than one NT recruit that fell victim to that.

Point is, I don't know, and neither does anyone else.

I agree...I ended up graduating in August rather than May because I had to take 2 freshmen level classes that I was informed years prior that I had tested out of...some blame lies with the student of course, but I don't think its fair to indict Horton without the entirerty of the evidence.

Wow. Pretty judgmental.

For all we know this young man did pass all his classes, but was wrongly informed of which ones to take.

Good point. Add to the fact that this AD is having problems with academics anyways, this is a very real possiblity.

Wow. Pretty judgmental.

Uh, three semesters at Auburn, another at one JUCO and two more at another JUCO? Yeah, I'm sure he passed every class and didn't get that ever-elusive assoc. degree. That, and yes, someone probably screwed up on the academic guideance end along the way. Reads clear to me.

Uh, three semesters at Auburn, another at one JUCO and two more at another JUCO? Yeah, I'm sure he passed every class and didn't get that ever-elusive assoc. degree. That, and yes, someone probably screwed up on the academic guideance end along the way. Reads clear to me.

Transferring credit hours is a nightmare. You have no idea what happened here, neither do I, I don't know why some people have to pretend like they do.

Transferring credit hours is a nightmare. You have no idea what happened here, neither do I, I don't know why some people have to pretend like they do.

Having attended an AL College for a semester, they did (maybe still) run on a Quarter System. When I attended I took 18 hrs, but when transferred back home it equated to 11 hrs, maybe this was the problem? If he was at Auburn for 3Q's, rather than Semesters, he very well may have taken 12-15 hrs a semester but only got credit for 50% or so of the courses. Very disappointing to say the least, but lets at least wish him luck in his endeavors. He has a rough time since starting college, beginning with the tragedy caused by Katrina.

Good point. Add to the fact that this AD is having problems with academics anyways, this is a very real possiblity.

I don't see how the UNT AD can have anything to do with his failure to obtain his Associate's. They usually do not make it their business to guide students to meeting their degree plans at other institutions. Now, the JUCO where he was attending, that's a possibility.

Don't forget he was academically ineligible to attend Jackson State after Auburn. Sure it all had to do with "credit hours."

I was talking specifically about his time at Hinds CC.

But hey, if you have a copy of his grade report why don't you share it with the rest of us?

I was talking specifically about his time at Hinds CC.

But hey, if you have a copy of his grade report why don't you share it with the rest of us?

Huh? I'm just repeating what I read reported in the blog. Read it again. Jackson State announced it had signed Horton (after he left Auburn), and then he never enrolled there. Why the hell do you think he never played a down at Jackson State and then resurfaced two JUCOs later? Are you that naive? Either you didn't read carefully, or you're just being obstinate.

Maybe it was the academic "guideance" that he received at Auburn. LOL! Sorry, I just couldn't resist the spelling police opportunity. :lol: Will football season please get here!

Transferring credit hours is a nightmare.

Agreed. I had the same problem at UNT. I went to DCCCD for a year before transferring. I also had to take a class at UTA over a summer because UNT didn't offer it. Even after getting it approved ahead of time, I had to jump through a lot of hoops and the paper work wasn't completed until 3 weeks before graduation.

Edited by UNTflyer

My brother transferred to NT from Auburn. They are (at least where in the 90s) on a trimester system that caused him to lose a TON of credit hours when he came here. He basically repeated 60% of what he did as a Tiger.

Just sayin'....