Recruiting Note & Stadium Comments

MeanGreen61

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I've been told $20 to 25 Million would be sufficient to bond out? I still don't understand why students must vote on an increase for a stadium or for an athletic fee? Other state university BOR's do it, why can't our BOR do it? Allowing the students to vote on it is asking for another disaster for sure, bringing us more embarrassment and bad press.

Rick

I'm glad Vito posted this. I emailed him earlier about the CPs and asked if this meant were were closer to a stadium.

Rick, I wouldn't worry about a student vote. The whole plan will be presented, including the HKS drawings and a target groundbreaking date before a vote. I really feel that the AD, BOR, and SGA are working together to try to do this the right way.

Edited by UNTflyer

I'm glad Vito posted this. I emailed him earlier about the CPs and asked if this meant were were closer to a stadium.

Rick, I wouldn't worry about a student vote. The whole plan will be presented, including the HKS drawings and a target groundbreaking date before a vote. I really feel that the AD, BOR, and SGA are working together to try to do this the right way.

Well I certainly have my fingers crossed in hoping your correct.

Rick

Well I certainly have my fingers crossed in hoping your correct.

It will be critical to get the fraternities and sororities involved. There also needs to be a student campaign- t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc. They need to have tents near the gates this season with pictures of the new stadium. The NT Exes need to get involved as well. I will e-mail Jeff Kline and ask him if there is anything in the works.

It will be critical to get the fraternities and sororities involved. There also needs to be a student campaign- t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc. They need to have tents near the gates this season with pictures of the new stadium. The NT Exes need to get involved as well. I will e-mail Jeff Kline and ask him if there is anything in the works.

that didn't work last time. in fact a "student campaign" did nothing but make the students who were against the fee come out and vote. the last vote was completely and utterly embarrassing.

either pass the fee or don't. if you want to leave it up to the students then respect the vote. don't leave it in the students hands and then pass the fee anyway when it gets voted down.

that didn't work last time. in fact a "student campaign" did nothing but make the students who were against the fee come out and vote. the last vote was completely and utterly embarrassing.

either pass the fee or don't. if you want to leave it up to the students then respect the vote. don't leave it in the students hands and then pass the fee anyway when it gets voted down.

Allowing students to vote at all is a silly proposition. NT students are so accustomed to athletics being free that they will never vote to pay more.

More freakin delays! Now we may have to wait for another semester to roll around so the students can vote? This Fall? Probably won't go into effect until Fall of '09?

Just mandate a stadium fee for cryin out loud! Every other university does it. Why not the 3rd/4th largest university in Texas. These are the kinds of indecisions and PC crap that drive fans away.

Putting something like this to a student vote seems like a huge risk....I mean lots of things, a bad weather day, for example, could influence the outcome. We have leaders. They are supposed to lead and make decisions that are in the best long term interest of The University.

If, at any point in time you take a snapshot of the student population, what percentage of that snapshot actually goes on to graduate? How many first semester Freshman make it to the second semester, or second or third year? If this goes to a vote, we will likely place this in the hands of a couple thousand incoming Freshman and many of those may only be around for a semester or two. Seems reckless. If we do if for this, then why not let the students vote on everything....tuition, room and board, library hours, professor/administration salary, campus speed limits, etc. Dangerous.

Keith

Texas State and UTSA students voted on theirs.

I think a lot of people fear a student vote because of the disaster of the last one. I wasn't around back then, but what I understand there was some issue with the administration trying to slip it past the students (?). Plus, I have been told the atmosphere is completely different on campus today.

The way I see it is - this is a perfect way for RV to prove to the public that NT doesn't want athletics. It will be his way of proving no matter what he does, he can never be successful here the way he wants to be. He will say "see - I put this up for a vote TWICE and BOTH Times it was voted down! What more can I do!?!?". Then he's "off the hook" at least in his mind for any blame.

Edited by Stan R

I dont think a student vote is the worst thing although with the history, we think its going to fail. I think a correct campaign would be good to inform the students. I definitely think that the campus atmosphere is different now regarding some school pride. I started in 2004 and finished in 2007 and the difference was night and day in my opinion. Infact I rarely saw a lot of TX, OU, TTU shirts on campus and saw tons of students wearing NT gear.

If it HAS to go to a student vote, here's what should be done- Tell the students that UNT needs more parking. No, make that massive amounts of parking. To do that we need to tear down Fouts for the parking. First, a new stadium needs to be built across the highway. Mark your vote HERE (Yes Vote) for more student parking. Walla!

Edited by DeepGreen

I dont think a student vote is the worst thing although with the history, we think its going to fail. I think a correct campaign would be good to inform the students. I definitely think that the campus atmosphere is different now regarding some school pride. I started in 2004 and finished in 2007 and the difference was night and day in my opinion. Infact I rarely saw a lot of TX, OU, TTU shirts on campus and saw tons of students wearing NT gear.

I agree. Granted I took a bit..... more time than you did to finish, I got there is 2000 and graduated in 06' but the difference on campus is dramatic. There is a big ground swell of support. We don't have the student support of the TU or the aTm but that might be able to come in time. It was awesom e to walk out of my last final in spring of 06 and see hundreds of green shirts binders, backpacks and even flip flops. The support is there, we just have to get it out to the students the right way.

If it HAS to go to a student vote, here's what should be done- Tell the students that UNT needs more parking. No, make that massive amounts of parking. To do that we need to tear down Fouts for the parking. First, a new stadium needs to be built across the highway. Mark your vote HERE (Yes Vote) for more student parking. Walla!

You... Sir.... Are a genius.

I was there for the last student vote. The problem was that a lot of misinformation was spread around about the purpose of the fee and what benefits students would get from it. I did vote for the fee, and after talking to many students who were initially against the fee, convinced others that it wasn't a bad thing. However, by and large, most students who voted negatively did so because they had misinformation as to what was really going to happen.

I have no problem with the students voting, and think that they should get a vote whenever possible when it comes to increasing the amount of money they pay per semester. That said, I do think that the fee can pass, if the students get the correct information. Last time around, the Athletic Department did not contain the rumors quickly enough to keep them from affecting the vote. There were no plans, dates, or drawings presented to students to show them progress - just a lot of talk. Show students the progress, tell them how this is a multi-use venue, and show them the benefits of the new stadium, and I think they'll be on board.

What if the students say that you can build the parking lots at Eagle Point?

What if the students say that you can build the parking lots at Eagle Point?

So the glass is hald empty eh?

I agree. Granted I took a bit..... more time than you did to finish, I got there is 2000 and graduated in 06' but the difference on campus is dramatic. There is a big ground swell of support. We don't have the student support of the TU or the aTm but that might be able to come in time. It was awesom e to walk out of my last final in spring of 06 and see hundreds of green shirts binders, backpacks and even flip flops. The support is there, we just have to get it out to the students the right way.

While having more people wear the colors is great, just because people are buying shirts, doesn't mean they go to the games and support athletics.

The way I see it is - this is a perfect way for RV to prove to the public that NT doesn't want athletics. It will be his way of proving no matter what he does, he can never be successful here the way he wants to be. He will say "see - I put this up for a vote TWICE and BOTH Times it was voted down! What more can I do!?!?". Then he's "off the hook" at least in his mind for any blame.

There it is. The leadership of this school can put that in, they don't need a student vote if they do it correctly. I am afraid that either the BOR doesn't want to fund it this way, or someone high up doesn't want to fund it this way, and therefore leadership is pushing the "student vote" thinking it will fail again, and then they as you say can say "hey we tried." Many have eluded to this in the past - Just get it done. We know everyone wants a new stadium, we have leaders in place, just do it.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999