If You Had The Power To Impose

greenminer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am all for the fee (hourly), I do believe that it should have to pass a student vote. Of course since I finally decided to graduate, imposing one of the students wouldn't bother me as much.

Ideally the fee would be approved by the student body....at least the portion of the body that actually votes.

Realistically for it to happen at UNT it will have to be forcefully imposed.

Edited by Green P1

I would set a per credit hour fee. Vote? Why? When i was at UNT I never got to vote on fee increases! I do, however, think it should be the business community, the alumni, and other Mean Green fans/supporters who should handle most of the cost. Naming rights could/should bring in some $$$$ too, and I would sell naming rights to almost every single part of the new stadium...the "Smith Family" Gate, The "Mike Jones" Visitors locker room, the Big Dogs Pizza ticket booth and on and on. OSU has done this sort of thing with great success in Stillwater for their multi-million dollar stadium upgrade and it isd a thing of beauty as a rennovation project. Sell naming rights to each locker in the athletic village as a way to get stadium $$$$$. hey, folks, there are people who buy "bricks" in walkways too...do that....lots of little things to get $$$ in and give someone something for their donation, etc., etc. But, still need that BIG DOG donation...would help a bunch.

Yes and a per-hour fee. As KRAM1 noted, I was assessed many fees as a student that I never voted on, nor questioned.

Also, if you voted no, please share why.

I was torn between yes/no. I voted no because I really do think it should be up to the students that attend said university to decide if they want to fund a somewhat superfluous endeavor. Don't take that as me calling a new stadium superfluous, but I can guarantee its how the majority of the student body view’s it. I’ve overheard and taken part in discussions on campus to the theme of “They don’t even halfway fill Fouts and they all of a sudden need a new one?” Imposing a fee on students that already resent the athletic department will do nothing but cause an even larger disconnect between students and athletics.

I realize what a new stadium would mean to UNT’s future, and I wouldn’t be disappointed if a fee was imposed. I’d just rather it not have to come to that.

Edited by Green P1

“They don’t even halfway fill Fouts and they all of a sudden need a new one?”

Believe it or not, there are many in Denton who feel the same way. All the more reason they should be looking to the alumni far more than they are now. Many schools do it this way, so it is not something new that no one has tried before.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

I agree with P1. I'd rather not have a student vote on a student fee.

The thought of some students and how ever many professors protesting a stadium fee would surly make the front page and might make the evening news. And how would that look ?

If WE want a new stadium, then WE need to fund it. Few things worthwhile are free. The good stuff always costs more. We should raise ticket prices and raise advertising rates and insist that people commit to giving levels for any ticket purchase. And if the students want to help build a stadium, give them a way to contribute.

Guest 97and03

sources??

Well student service fees (which is where UNT gets its athletics money) are governed by Texas Education Code, Chapter 54.

§ 54.503. STUDENT SERVICES FEES. (a) For the purposes

of this section:

(1) "Student services" means activities which are

separate and apart from the regularly scheduled academic functions

of the institution and directly involve or benefit students,

including textbook rentals, recreational activities, health and

hospital services, medical services, intramural and

intercollegiate athletics, artists and lecture series, cultural

entertainment series, debating and oratorical activities, student

publications, student government, the student fee advisory

committee, student transportation services other than services

under Sections 54.504, 54.511, 54.512, and 54.513 of this code, and

any other student activities and services specifically authorized

and approved by the governing board of the institution of higher

education. The term does not include services for which a fee is

charged under another section of this code.

(2) "Compulsory fee" means a fee that is charged to all

students enrolled at the institution.

(3) "Voluntary fee" means a fee that is charged only to

those students who make use of the student service for which the fee

is established.

(f) If the total compulsory fee charged under this section

is more than $150, the increase does not take effect unless the

increase is approved by a majority vote of the students voting in an

election held for that purpose or by a majority vote of the student

government at the institution. In subsequent years, an election

authorizing a fee increase must be held before the fee can be

increased by more than 10 percent of the fee approved at the last

student election.

So if UNT wants to increase it's student service fees to fund athletics, then it needs a student vote, to the best of my knowledge.

The regulation also states that the total of all compulsory fees is limited to $250 a semester. So maybe instead of continuing to fund athletics through this mechanism, UNT could instead have a separate athletics fee, as other universities have done. This appears to require an act of the Texas legislature to amend the Texas education code. These act seem to all contain language requiring a student vote for imposition of the fee.

For example

UTD

Sec. 54.5313. INTRAMURAL AND INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS FEE; THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS. (a) Authorizes the board to charge all enrolled students at UT-Dallas an intramural and intercollegiate athletics fee. Sets forth limits on the amount of the fee.

() Prohibits the imposition of the fee unless approved by a majority vote of the enrolled students of the university who participate in a general student election held for that purpose.

A&M system

Sec. 54.5395. INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS FEES; TEXAS A&M INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY. (a) Authorizes the board to impose an intercollegiate athletics fee on each student enrolled at Texas A&M International University. Prohibits the fee from being imposed unless approved by a majority vote of the students participating in a general student election held at the university for that purpose.

Sec. 54.5396. INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS FEES; WEST TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY. (a) Authorizes the board to impose an intercollegiate athletics fee on each student enrolled at West Texas A&M University. Prohibits the fee from being imposed unless approved by a majority vote of the students participating in a general student election held at the university for that purpose.

From previous statements, I have made you can probably guess that I am in favor of a student vote. But regardless of my position, it seems that the fee, in either form, would require student input.

I think the fee is absolutely necessary, but I think the students get a say.

Edited by 97and03

Well student service fees (which is where UNT gets its athletics money) are governed by Texas Education Code, Chapter 54.

So if UNT wants to increase it's student service fees to fund athletics, then it needs a student vote, to the best of my knowledge.

The regulation also states that the total of all compulsory fees is limited to $250 a semester. So maybe instead of continuing to fund athletics through this mechanism, UNT could instead have a separate athletics fee, as other universities have done. This appears to require an act of the Texas legislature to amend the Texas education code. These act seem to all contain language requiring a student vote for imposition of the fee.

For example

UTD

A&M system

From previous statements, I have made you can probably guess that I am in favor of a student vote. But regardless of my position, it seems that the fee, in either form, would require student input.

I think the fee is absolutely necessary, but I think the students get a say.

Most schools that I know of actually charge the students a fee to be able to purchase sports tickets. Now I am not suggesting that to do here, but that is an idea. Not sure that will encourage more students to attend, but an idea needless to say. That however, maybe the other mechanism you are describing.

I was torn between yes/no. I voted no because I really do think it should be up to the students that attend said university to decide if they want to fund a somewhat superfluous endeavor. Don't take that as me calling a new stadium superfluous, but I can guarantee its how the majority of the student body view’s it. I’ve overheard and taken part in discussions on campus to the theme of “They don’t even halfway fill Fouts and they all of a sudden need a new one?” Imposing a fee on students that already resent the athletic department will do nothing but cause an even larger disconnect between students and athletics.

I realize what a new stadium would mean to UNT’s future, and I wouldn’t be disappointed if a fee was imposed. I’d just rather it not have to come to that.

This argument can go either way:

I say impose the fee, because those that oppose it and will become upset are the same ones that will become alumni and never give a dime anyway. The students that do support it will become the alumni that give back. Might as well get a few $$ out of those that will never give in the future.

I'd like to see a student athletic fee to help support the new stadium and the betterment of the athletic program overall. I do think the student body needs to vote on it and I wish it would come before I graduate next May. I'm not so sure it will get the support it needs but if the time should come soon, I would be on the forefront of the student fight to vote FOR a fee. It would take a good effort of reaching the people who vote and the people who are athletic supporters. In addition, I think the university needs to quit sitting on it's thumb and get some big time alumni support. Support shouldn't be all on the current students at UNT and none of the alumni. Whether they know it or not, alumni have a vested interest in seeing the success of all aspects of UNT... especially the athletics program and in specific, football and basketball.

I think both sides are right. A student fee needs to be in place but not for the sole purpose of funding the stadium but for the WHOLE athletics program so we can have good salaries for our coaches, resources for our athletes and etc. At the same time students need to be involved with it too. You dont just ask them...anybody in their right mind will say no to a new UNT football stadium because they will say things like they stink anyway or no one cares or Fouts doesnt fill up as it is. Instead you campaign and you educate everybody in a good manner as why what the new stadium will be, how it will affect the students, school, city, image etc. I dont think its impossible and I am not sure why everybody is making this harder than it really is. Either you want it or you dont but in our case I dont think people really know. Most people dont even know a darn thing about UNT athletics so how do you expect them to know about the new stadium? Instead we need to educate them and campaign. Yeah it may take some long hours to do all this and may even take some extra money but with the right plan and approach nothing is impossible for this university or any university for that matter.

But we're not talking about funding athletics, we're talking about a stadium fee.

Angels on the head of a pin...

Edited by UNTflyer