Arkansas State

NT03

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some one that is being forced to change their name ought to rename their mascot the "Jack-Asses". After all, the mule is the hardest working animal in American history.

They are a very honorable animals, just stubborn about being told what to do.... which isn't all bad either. A lot of people would be better off if they actually were more independent and thought for themselves like mules (Jack-asses) do. ----One political party uses them as a symbol--

There should be no objection.... Army (Military Academy) uses one as a mascot.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

The Seminole nation of Florida has come to the support of FSU, so the NCAA has backed down from having them change their mascot. I think the same was done with ND and teh Sioux tribe.

Simply an amazing display of stupidity and selfishness here. Who in hell would ever agree to name their team, any team after someone if it were not to HONOR their memory and SPIRIT of their past? Read for yourself.

[edit]Controversy

Today, critics of the name say that it is a racist stereotype, while supporters maintain it is inoffensive and a source of pride. Over the years, the debate has proven to be a divisive issue at the University. The movement to keep the nickname and logo is led by UND alumni, sports fans, and athletic players and officials, as well as the present university administration. The campaign to change the nickname and logo is led by several Native American tribes and student organizations, as well as many UND faculty members. The most powerful ally of those seeking change has become the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

In 2005, The Fargo Forum conducted a survey of Native and non-Native people from throughout North Dakota.[3] The survey asked respondents if they supported the nickname and logo and if they were offended by them. Overall, 81% of respondents said they agreed with the use of the nickname and logo and 95% said they were not offended by them. Limiting the poll results to only Native American respondents, 47% of those polled said they disagreed with the use of the nickname and logo, but at the same time, 61% of Native American respondents said that they were not offended by the nickname and logo.

[edit] History of controversy

In 1970, the UND Indian Association protested the use of the Fighting Sioux name. Since that time, a number of student organizations and faculty committees have called for the nickname to be discontinued. In the intervening years, the university dropped the use of a mascot and replaced older logos with a new logo designed by UND graduate and Ojibwa artist Bennett Brien.

In 1999, the UND Student Senate passed a resolution calling for the end of the nickname, but it was vetoed by the student body president. That same year, a similar bill was introduced in the North Dakota House of Representatives, but died in committee.[4] In 2000, twenty-one separate Native American-related programs, departments, and organizations at UND signed a statement opposing the continued use of the nickname and logo, saying that it did not honor them or their culture.[5] Three tribal entities within the state (the Standing Rock Sioux, Sisseton-Wahpeton Sioux, and Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara Nation) have issued tribal resolutions denouncing the continued use of the name and logo.[6] On March 6, 2001, the President of the American Psychological Association, Dr. Norine Johnson, wrote to advocate change at UND.

Former Fighting Sioux hockey player and wealthy alumnus Ralph Engelstad donated $100 million dollars for the construction of Ralph Engelstad Arena. This is one of the largest philanthropic donations ever made to a public institution of higher learning. During construction of the arena, Engelstad threatened to abruptly cease work if the nickname was changed. The day after receiving Engelstad's threatening e-mail North Dakota State Board of Higher Education froze discussion on the issue by insisting that the team name remain the same. One of Engelstad's conditions for his donation was that the University keep the Fighting Sioux name indefinitely.[7] Engelstad placed thousands of Fighting Sioux logos in numerous places throughout the arena to make physical removal of the logo very costly if attempted. The arena opened in 2001.

The debate reignited in 2005, following a decision by the NCAA to sanction schools with tribal logos and/or nicknames, including UND, that the NCAA deemed to be "hostile and abusive." The sanctions would not allow schools like UND to use their names or logos in post-season play and those schools would not be able to host post-season championships. After an unsuccessful appeal to reverse the sanctions, UND started to pursue their legal options.[8] On June 15, 2006, after consulting with North Dakota Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem, the Board of Higher Education elected 8-0 to authorize Stenehjem to sue the NCAA for penalizing the UND over its Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.[9] In November of 2006, UND was granted a preliminary injunction to prevent the NCAA from enforcing the rule. On October 26, 2007, a settlement between UND and the NCAA was reached preventing the case from going to trial.[10] The settlement gives UND three years to gain support from the state's Sioux tribes to continue to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.[11] If that support is not granted at the end of the three years, UND will retire the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, remove most of the existing Fighting Sioux imagery in campus facilities, and pick a new nickname and logo to represent UND's athletic teams.

As of November of 2007, the Standing Rock Sioux tribe has officially disapproved of the use of the Sioux logo. If their support cannot be approved by 2010, the Fighting Sioux name and logo will be retired.

Rick

Since I was born here I'm a native American and I say fie on those who want to censor American Indian names!

It's settled then. Will someone please contact all Native Americans and subsequently the NCAA and pass down judgement.

Whew glad that is behind us. I feel like we have done some good work here.

Anyone know if the Australians still need some help with those bothersome Aboriginal people? I think we have some extra time.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

They should have gone with Tornados, cause that is one thing native to that area. Then they could have it out with Tulsa in my new conference. By the way, was Playmaker involved in determining the Tulsa mascot?

As an Irishman, I am offending by the hostile and offensive mascot used by the University of Notre Dame.

Look at this freak! I've never met a fellow Irishman who looked like this, yet it how the entire non-Irish world views us. I demand an apology.

Img11.gif

And for you native Okies.... I would be all up in arms about the "Sooners" nickname. It implies that Oklahomans are cheaters.

Oh wait... it's not slander if it's true!

After reading some of the proposed names, Red Wolves is the best one.

Mascot mayhem from 11/6/07.

Adam Saulsbury, a committee member, says there were some crazy suggestions on the list. Two of them were the Fighting Armadillos and the Mojos.
If they had gone with the Fighting Armadillos, I think FFR would have led us up there with pitchforks and torches.

Released at 11 a.m. today; I suspect other versions will follow, but this is the initial logo. I see a mischevious look that says 'I am about to eat your lunch and there is not a darn thing you can do to stop me!

RedWolvesLogo1.jpg

Edited by badgerwolf

RedWolvesLogo1.jpg

Looks a bit like a Skoal type product,

Red Wolves are three times larger than Bandits and are designed to satisfy adult consumers who prefer a more robust and flavorful moist smokeless tobacco experience in a neat, convenient form.