Local Media Ignores Unt Win

UNTflyer

Actually, ABC mentioned it first before any of the other NCAA games on tonight. No highlights but there was a mention.

I must have just missed that. I flipped over and they were talking about Baylor and then SMU. I assumed since they didn't mention us in traditional afterthought fashion, we were snubbed again. I had NBC on through all the sports segment, and there was definitely no mention there.

CW33 was there. It would make it much easier for them to get highlights if it was broadcast... Bigger, Better TV deals... Maybe someway for NTTV to send highlights on some satellite time etc...

I would love to send our games to the local stations via satellite.....but that would require a satellite. Plus NTTV Sports just dosent have the man power to have someone cutting highlights as the game is going, I was running on a light crew for these two games. But I would love to have all that kind of stuff.

I would love to send our games to the local stations via satellite.....but that would require a satellite. Plus NTTV Sports just dosent have the man power to have someone cutting highlights as the game is going, I was running on a light crew for these two games. But I would love to have all that kind of stuff.

I know, it's all pie in sky...

---Unfortunately the lack of good coverage is a lot about fan interest.... Did we fill the pit tonight????? If not-- it appears to the media that there is very little interest in it even by the local UNT fans... so it gets poor coverage. .... sorry about that. We got better coverage years ago when we filled the stands and were in the MVC.

---If we want better coverage for sports we must show more interest from within and fill the stands. Tech, UT and Aggies do. [not something most want to hear, but true ]

A few things for everybody to get straight:

1. It's not NBC or ABC that ignored UNT. Those are national networks. UNT was ignored by local stations KXAS (ch. 5) and WFAA (ch. 8). Absorb that big, very important difference so you'll know who to complain to.

2. I doubt that their sports directors or station managers are reading GMG. So why gripe here? Complain so they can know about it. Send them e-mails. Call them. Tell them you are not pleased. Demand to know how they intend to cover the remainder of our conference tourney. Make it so they'll feel that they make a serious business mistake in not covering UNT hoops.

3. Over 7,000 reported attendance at SMU tonight; over 4,000 at UNT (although I think our numbers are generous, based on what I saw there tonight). At any rate, attendance does not explain it. They make their coverage decisions before anyone shows up.

4. To repeat: Complain to the stations -- to the right stations, not just to your friends. And do it again and again. Tell them you demand coverage of the best basketball program in the Metroplex. Tell them many thousands of others agree with you.

I think that I can speak on this topic, because I happen to be part of the local sports media in D/FW....and a proud UNT alum that does my best to promote our program when I can. I think there are a few things we all need to understand about local media coverage.....

Our conference does not have a good television package that gives us enough exposure locally or nationally....which means there is no pressure for the local TV outlets to do their part to offer the same exposure. It is frustrating though when we do make the dance and then they produce packages and spend part of their broadcast on our school's success and make it seem like it came out of nowhere when it has been in their own backyard all along.

A great number of local and some national media members (writers, tv reporters, play by play guys, and radio superstars on KTCK) went to North Texas, but due to their jobs that pay the bills they are forced to cover more relevant happenings....we as Mean Green fans have to understand we are dealing the outlets doing insane coverage of the Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, Rangers, Desperados, FC Dallas, and BIG TIME college football (Texas, A&M, Big 12, and other national game of the week in college season) and not the Mean Green (even SMU and TCU get screwed too), 2 PGA golf tournaments in the summer, 2 Nascar races, IRL, and oh yeah every off season bowel movement that happens with the Cowboys.

Sometimes the sports directors have too much on their plate with the major teams and big national stories that demand attention and priority over mean green atletics....or perhaps it's due to financial reasons from bastard companies that under-pay the reporters and engineers....they don't have the man power or don't want to waste the gas money on a ride to Denton (3.14 per gallon- YIKES!!)....sorry to vent....

If SMU and TCU does get more coverage is because they are more locked in with 2 of the big 4 TV outlets.....SMU gets $$$ from the Belo corp. that owns ch. 8....and CBS 11 is a stones throw away from dowtown FW....and due to the proximity of those schools to the station (both being in major market cities) their events are considered "local events that people care about"....again Denton is a whip of a drive and the population is much lower than Dallas and FW....

And finally the Mean Green facilties are not what you would call awesome for media outlets to execute quality coverage....As much as I love the Super Pit, it is slightly being the times on the technology front....but it is still not that bad. However, Fouts is one of the worst press boxes i have ever had to deal with as a media member....small, cramped, terrible sight lines, no elevator, and you have lightly toasted people walking back and forth from each "Luxury Box" causing a bitch of a cold draft that invades the working press area....the rainy cold game againt WKU was an f'ing nightmare....oh yeah and the heat was out that day. Not a good experience for a media member if they are not one that truly cares about the Mean Green....

Just know that there are those of us who love our alma mater and do everything we can to spread the good word about NT athletics, but understsnd there are reasons that the media is not bending over backwards to head up to Denton, America....if it were up to me the doings in football and basketball were covered about 10 times more than what they are, but sadly we live in one of the best sports markets in the country with so much great stuff happening all the time, right now.

Now lets go knock off the Hilltoppers and make people pay attention to the Mean Green!!!

I think that I can speak on this topic, because I happen to be part of the local sports media in D/FW....and a proud UNT alum that does my best to promote our program when I can. I think there are a few things we all need to understand about local media coverage.....

Our conference does not have a good television package that gives us enough exposure locally or nationally....which means there is no pressure for the local TV outlets to do their part to offer the same exposure. It is frustrating though when we do make the dance and then they produce packages and spend part of their broadcast on our school's success and make it seem like it came out of nowhere when it has been in their own backyard all along.

A great number of local and some national media members (writers, tv reporters, play by play guys, and radio superstars on KTCK) went to North Texas, but due to their jobs that pay the bills they are forced to cover more relevant happenings....we as Mean Green fans have to understand we are dealing the outlets doing insane coverage of the Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, Rangers, Desperados, FC Dallas, and BIG TIME college football (Texas, A&M, Big 12, and other national game of the week in college season) and not the Mean Green (even SMU and TCU get screwed too), 2 PGA golf tournaments in the summer, 2 Nascar races, IRL, and oh yeah every off season bowel movement that happens with the Cowboys.

Sometimes the sports directors have too much on their plate with the major teams and big national stories that demand attention and priority over mean green atletics....or perhaps it's due to financial reasons from bastard companies that under-pay the reporters and engineers....they don't have the man power or don't want to waste the gas money on a ride to Denton (3.14 per gallon- YIKES!!)....sorry to vent....

If SMU and TCU does get more coverage is because they are more locked in with 2 of the big 4 TV outlets.....SMU gets $$$ from the Belo corp. that owns ch. 8....and CBS 11 is a stones throw away from dowtown FW....and due to the proximity of those schools to the station (both being in major market cities) their events are considered "local events that people care about"....again Denton is a whip of a drive and the population is much lower than Dallas and FW....

And finally the Mean Green facilties are not what you would call awesome for media outlets to execute quality coverage....As much as I love the Super Pit, it is slightly being the times on the technology front....but it is still not that bad. However, Fouts is one of the worst press boxes i have ever had to deal with as a media member....small, cramped, terrible sight lines, no elevator, and you have lightly toasted people walking back and forth from each "Luxury Box" causing a bitch of a cold draft that invades the working press area....the rainy cold game againt WKU was an f'ing nightmare....oh yeah and the heat was out that day. Not a good experience for a media member if they are not one that truly cares about the Mean Green....

Just know that there are those of us who love our alma mater and do everything we can to spread the good word about NT athletics, but understsnd there are reasons that the media is not bending over backwards to head up to Denton, America....if it were up to me the doings in football and basketball were covered about 10 times more than what they are, but sadly we live in one of the best sports markets in the country with so much great stuff happening all the time, right now.

Now lets go knock off the Hilltoppers and make people pay attention to the Mean Green!!!

well said

A few things for everybody to get straight:

1. It's not NBC or ABC that ignored UNT. Those are national networks. UNT was ignored by local stations KXAS (ch. 5) and WFAA (ch. 8). Absorb that big, very important difference so you'll know who to complain to.

2. I doubt that their sports directors or station managers are reading GMG. So why gripe here? Complain so they can know about it. Send them e-mails. Call them. Tell them you are not pleased. Demand to know how they intend to cover the remainder of our conference tourney. Make it so they'll feel that they make a serious business mistake in not covering UNT hoops.

3. Over 7,000 reported attendance at SMU tonight; over 4,000 at UNT (although I think our numbers are generous, based on what I saw there tonight). At any rate, attendance does not explain it. They make their coverage decisions before anyone shows up.

4. To repeat: Complain to the stations -- to the right stations, not just to your friends. And do it again and again. Tell them you demand coverage of the best basketball program in the Metroplex. Tell them many thousands of others agree with you.

Telling posters to stop griping here and goto the right place could be applied to nearly every offseason thread. That's what the board is here for.

<_<

Freakin' NBC and ABC doesn't mention us at all. But they showed SMU highlights.

EDIT: Well, channel 11 did show one play and mentioned the back-to-back 20 win season. Way to step up.

Channel 11 has a strategically placed NT alum who does his best to get us on as often as possible. Trust my inside sources. :ph34r:

I don't think SMU has won 10 games this season, and their RPI is probably nearly 300 with some of those losses early in the year. And they got highlights. <_<

They played Memphis, the No. 2 team in the land. It was Memphis highlights, they just happened to be playing SMU.

With regard to NMNSHLD's (what does that mean ? ) comment about NTTV not having the manpower to cut highlights, I would think that manpower is exactly what NTTV has plenty of. I can't believe that every RTvF major is busy and unable to help with getting information, in this case NT basketball, to local stations. Something they will do in their careers. Regardless as to how the RTvF students feel about their University or basketball in general, this is good experience for them. And that would transfer to good exposure for North Texas.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN