Hawaii Signs Lucerative Under Armour Deal

MeanGreen61

UH Signs Agreement With Under Armour For Football Program

Release Date: 02/25/08

HONOLULU - The University of Hawai`i at Manoa Athletics Department and Under Armour have signed an eight-year apparel, footwear, and marketing partnership that will provide UH with more than $4.1 million in cash and trade.

Under Armour will become the "Outfitter of Hawai`i Football" and will provide the team with $2,424,000 in product for the student-athletes, coaches, and staff during the term of the agreement.

Under Armour will also pay UH $1,680,000 in cash, including $1,140,000 in rights fees and a minimum of $540,000 in marketing support as a member of the UH Corporate Partner Program.

"We're thrilled to add Hawai`i to the very selective list of football programs we're outfitting," Kevin Plank, Under Armour founder and CEO, said. "We identified UH as a team we wanted to outfit with our state-of-the-art performance apparel, uniforms and footwear, and look forward to giving their student athletes an advantage on field while also using the relationship to try our latest innovations in designs, fabrics and textiles."

"Under Armour offers a quality line of football products and our players will be thrilled to wear its apparel," Greg McMackin, head coach, said. "Additionally, they have successfully positioned themselves as the aggressive new brand in this field, so we will benefit from having them as an apparel and footwear supplier, as well as a marketing partner."

"This is certainly a landmark deal for UH Athletics," Carl Clapp, interim athletics director, said. "It will provide our football student-athletes with quality game and practice products, while also providing UH with an outstanding marketing partner. The revenue that Under Armour has committed will enhance our financial situation and we are thrilled to be aligned with such an exciting and progressive company."

Other universities that Under Armour has apparel deals with include: Auburn, Maryland, South Carolina, and Texas Tech.

Under Armour has incorporated coaches, facilities and former players from some of its other partnerships in its previous marketing and advertising campaigns, including "Protect This Housetm" and "Click-Clacktm." Past commercials have featured coaches Steve Spurrier (South Carolina), Ralph Friedgen (Maryland) and Tommy Tuberville (Auburn).

Under Armour, the originators of performance apparel, has transitioned athletes into moisture-wicking apparel since 1996.

About Under Armour, Inc.

Under Armour® (NYSE: UA) is a leading developer, marketer, and distributor of branded performance apparel, footwear, and accessories. The brand's moisture-wicking synthetic fabrications are engineered in many different designs and styles for wear in nearly every climate to provide a performance alternative to traditional natural fiber products. The Company's products are sold worldwide and worn by athletes at all levels, from youth to professional, on playing fields around the globe. The Under Armour global headquarters is in Baltimore, Maryland, with European headquarters in Amsterdam's Olympic Stadium, and additional offices in Denver, Hong Kong, Toronto, and Guangzhou, China. For further information, please visit the Company's website at www.underarmour.com.

ARTICLE

http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/pr.html?prid=15010&p=3

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From UA's website "press release" page. Doesn't seem like they are as proud of the agreement with us (whatever that agreement may be)??

UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT AND UNDER ARMOUR REACH OUTFITTER AGREEMENT FOR UH FOOTBALL

Under Armour Designated as Outfitter for UH Football

Baltimore, MD (February 25, 2008) – Under Armour, Inc. (NYSE:UA) The University of Hawaii and Under Armour, Inc. today announced a multi-faceted eight-year partnership that designates Under Armour as the performance apparel and footwear outfitter for the University of Hawaii Warrior football team. In addition to providing technologically advanced performance apparel and footwear, the partnership includes Under Armour marketing rights. The partnership, slated to begin in July 2008, deepens Under Armour's on-field presence in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS). In addition to the Warriors, the brand has official outfitter relationships in The Atlantic Coast Conference, The Big 12, and The Southeastern Conference, including agreements with The University of South Carolina and Auburn University. "We're thrilled to add Hawaii to the very select list of football programs we're outfitting," said Kevin Plank, Under Armour Chairman and CEO. "We identified UH as a team we wanted to outfit with our state-of-the-art performance apparel, uniforms and footwear, and we look forward to giving their student-athletes an advantage on field while also using the relationship to showcase our latest innovations in footwear, uniform designs, fabrics and textiles."

A rising national powerhouse in the FBS, the 2007 WAC Champions will aim to build on the best season in the history of the tradition-rich program. Under Armour's superior quality performance apparel and footwear will help UH players take their program to new heights. The Warriors will debut their new uniforms when they take on the University of Florida in their season opener on August 30, 2008.

"Under Armour offers a quality line of football products and our players will be thrilled to wear its apparel," Greg McMackin, head coach, said. "Additionally, they have successfully positioned themselves as the aggressive new brand in this field, so we will benefit from having them as an apparel and footwear supplier as well as a marketing partner."

Under Armour has incorporated coaches, facilities and former players from some of its other partnerships in its previous marketing and advertising campaigns, including "Protect This House™" and "Click-Clack™." Past commercials have featured coaches Steve Spurrier (University of South Carolina), Ralph Friedgen (University of Maryland) and Tommy Tuberville (Auburn University). "This is certainly a landmark deal for UH Athletics," said Carl Clapp, interim athletic director. "It will provide our football student-athletes with quality game and practice products, while also providing UH with an outstanding marketing partner. The revenue that Under Armour has committed will enhance our financial situation and we are thrilled to be aligned with such an exciting and progressive company."

Under Armour, the originators of performance apparel, has transitioned athletes into moisture-wicking apparel since 1996.

About Under Armour, Inc. Under Armour® (NYSE: UA) is a leading developer, marketer, and distributor of branded performance apparel, footwear, and accessories. The brand's moisture-wicking synthetic fabrications are engineered in many different designs and styles for wear in nearly every climate to provide a performance alternative to traditional natural fiber products. The Company's products are sold worldwide and worn by athletes at all levels, from youth to professional, on playing fields around the globe. The Under Armour global headquarters is in Baltimore, Maryland, with European headquarters in Amsterdam's Olympic Stadium, and additional offices in Denver, Hong Kong, Toronto, and Guangzhou, China. For further information, please visit the Company's website at www.underarmour.com.

based on our wins the last three years, i don't blame them. now, in four years after we've entered the spotlight they'll be proud to have been with us the whole time. not a big deal

That really makes no sense, unless they feel they cannot recoup the costs of designing a commercial line of UA gear for UNT.

based on our wins the last three years, i don't blame them. now, in four years after we've entered the spotlight they'll be proud to have been with us the whole time. not a big deal

I blame them. I'm not asking for BCS money or status here. I'm asking for us to be on their website. I'm asking for them to freaking acknowledge us in some capacity, because we have a contract with them. I want to go to their website and see our stuff. How about an option of buying? Seems to me it would be a little extra HTML code for a nice amount of potential UNT buyers. I especially don't want to go there before the season starts and see that Hawaii is plastered all over the site - AFTER LOSING JONES - and we're still not up there.

I don't care what our record is or was. If they finally put us up there after a 9 win season, I'd consider that douche-bag-ish and loss of respect for UA would be due, IMO. Shoot, didn't we let them use our facilities for a commercial?

C'mon UA, a little consistency is in order.

This was a very interesting post for me. I live in Raleigh, NC and was in a Dicks Sporting Goods store today. I was looking at the UA wear, and noticed that they only offer a select group of colors. Yes, there was the Maryland red and black, I saw Tennessee's orange as well...but you know what other color among the 5-6 that I saw?????...

North Texas' Kelly Green!!! :)

I was ecstatic...I could not believe my eyes. They had several styles of shirts that were our color and, like I said, there was only about 5-6 colors represented. Now, what are the odds you would usually see kelly green with red, black, and navy blue???

Provide a link a we will bombard them with emails asking for NT gear to be on the site. We do well with our email campaigns.

Guys, I hate to say this but, I'm afraid UA could be a pipe dream. Otherwise, it seems they would take UNT seriously and produce a good amount of the right color green and get products in the market place. UNT spirit wear is not out there. What does that say 1) about the company, or 2) about the company's committment, or 3) about our ability to negotiate a profitable deal that is equitable for both parties? I'm sure it's not as simple as I try to make it seem but.....come on!!

I find all the right color green in high quality products on shopmeangreen.com http://shopmeangreen.com/main.sc

I know the owner pretty well and he is an alum and bleeds green!!