Rv To Louisina Tech?

LAZER

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is rv from louisiana? i ask b/c this doesn't seem like a promotion...nor has rick really established anything significant here to make some other school think they can become winners with ricks leadership. Not a ment as a slight towards rick at all

Is rv from louisiana? i ask b/c this doesn't seem like a promotion...nor has rick really established anything significant here to make some other school think they can become winners with ricks leadership. Not a ment as a slight towards rick at all

Depends upon your oppinion of "winners"? The 2000' opener with Baylor still looms angrily in my memory.

Rick

Don't know about the rumors at all, as I have heard nothing, but if he went to La Tech, it wouldn't shock me. The stress at La Tech I am sure is lower than it is here for sure. From what I have heard from people that live in Ruston, pretty much the only sport anyone pays any attention to is Women's bball. Besides, if he doesn't show some serious production in terms of this new stadium in the next year or so, the pressure around here could be more than he wants.

Oakes resigns as athletic director after 13 years of service to Tech

Richard Wolfe

Issue date: 1/25/08 Section: News

Athletic director Jim Oakes resigned from his current position Jan. 16 after 13 years of service. Oakes intends to stay through June.

In a press conference Jan. 16, Jim Oakes, Tech's athletic director, said he will step down from his position in June.

"I'm here through the end of June at least," Oakes said. "That's the end of the fiscal year."

Oakes said June is the most appropriate time for the change in leadership to take place.

"That allows the school five and a half months," Oakes said. "I'll have some time to figure out what I'm going to do."

Oakes said he feels the time is right for his decision.

"The school is moving in a positive direction," Oakes said. "I feel comfortable leaving things for the next person."

Oakes also said he has enjoyed directing the athletic department, which has the highest graduation rate in the state, and watching Tech's athletes compete.

"I've been here long enough to watch athletes go out, get married and start families," Oakes said.

Oakes said he does not know what he will do now.

"It's a good time in my life to make a change," Oakes said. "I've enjoyed being back at my alma mater."

Malcom Butler, associate athletic director of media relations, said the athletic department will continue to function as it has on a daily basis during the transitional period.

"[Oakes] will continue to lead this department while also relying on his associate and assistant [athletic directors] to help the transition," Butler said.

Butler said Tech's fiscal year ends at the end of June, which will easily allow the new athletic director to begin as the new fiscal year starts.

Butler said this will definitely make the transition cleaner for the athletic department.

Oakes said the university will have enough time to find the best possible replacement.

"There is absolutely no way anyone knows who will be Louisiana Tech's next athletic director at this point," Butler said.

He said the identity of Oakes' replacement may not be known for months and the director's position must be filled like in any other business.

"Anytime you bring new leadership into a business, it creates a renewed excitement for your customers, or in this case, fan base," Butler said.

Butler also said Oakes is a man of integrity who has been loyal to Tech.

"He poured his heart and soul into his job for the past 13 years," Butler said.

"He ran a clean program as proven by having zero NCAA sanctions since he arrived on campus."

Toria Miles, a member of the bowling team, junior English education and marketing major and student athletic advisory committee officer, said Oakes is dedicated to his job as athletic director.

"He really cares about what he does and the student athletes," Miles said.

She also said, from what she knew, the athletic director position is time consuming, and his family is important to him.

"I'm sure he put a lot of thought into making this decision," Miles said.

Miles said she thinks Oakes has several opportunities open to him.

"I wish him the best of luck with whatever he wants to do from here," Miles said.

Comments:

Jay

posted 1/29/08 @ 4:29 AM CST

Be sure to thank him for letting Mulkey take the Techsters dynasty to Baylor! He should have been fired immediately for that.

Edited by NT80

I saw RV on t.v. tonight at the super pit on NTTV....Couldnt go to the game, cause I was helping a friend with an assignment.

He was walking around the arena pumping everyone up during the last minute of the game, great game by the way.

We beat South Alabama, an undefeated conference rival.

UNT Prez Gretchen Bataille was right beside him.

Why would RV go to Louisiana Tech ? Isn't that a lateral move at best ? For the first time in my 20 years as a UNT fan, I am extremely happy with the administrators from top to bottom. To lose RV to LT would be a huge slap in the face IMO.

I could understand a BCS school. But, Louisiana Tech ? There is more potential here at UNT. If RV was to leave, then you would have to assume that there are some major problems brewing here.

FWIW, I don't believe these rumors anyway. I think that Rick will try his best to get us over the hump, before considering a move on to bigger and better things.

I think that Rick will try his best to get us over the hump, before considering a move on to bigger and better things.

Building a stadium is a huge deal. If he can get the thing in the ground and field some successful teams along the way, his stock will go way up -- even for a school that already has a stadium, because it will prove his skill at strategic planning. And he'll deserve every dime, whoever gives it to him.

Guest JohnDenver

Who cares if the man is out there interviewing?

If RV finds something better (I don't think La Tech is, have you ever been to their campus?), then he *should* take it. It is a business... and his passion at UNT would be gone. So, in the end, it would work out better for us because we could get someone with a new passion.

If RV finds something better (I don't think La Tech is, have you ever been to their campus?), then he *should* take it. It is a business... and his passion at UNT would be gone. So, in the end, it would work out better for us because we could get someone with a new passion.

Tap the brakes on that one a little bit. Nothing wrong with Tech's campus or Ruston in general. I do think RV would have a much easier time getting things done here than at Tech, but it's more due to politics in that state than anything else. He also won't find the President down there to be too trustworthy, but hey he would get to rack up the frequent flier miles traveling to conference games! Check this out from today's paper.........

ADVERTISEMENT

Tech men's long Hawaii trip means hitting books, then court

By Nick Deriso

nderiso@thenewsstar.com

RUSTON — The Louisiana Tech men's 4,032-mile odyssey to Honolulu, which began with a team flight Thursday, presents challenges having little to do with basketball.

"There is eight hours on a plane, and the time change is a big deal," said first-year Tech coach Kerry Rupp. "We have to make sure we have our legs, and bring good energy and enthusiasm."

Edited by CorinthEagle

I always find the different opinions interesting.

"Besides, if he doesn't show some serious production in terms of this new stadium in the next year or so, the pressure around here could be more than he wants." The AD can only do so much. If the fans want a new stadium they will get one. My opinion is if UNT decided to fire RV the new stadium would not go up any faster. The pressure will come from his gamble to hire a HS coach as the head coach. If TD is not successful that will not bode well for RV. And so far I am not seeing the recruiting "jump" that his HS ties were supposed to bring. But then again TD was the fan favorite so you cant come down on RV too much for that hire.

"Why would RV go to Louisiana Tech ? Isn't that a lateral move at best ?" That conference has had two teams playing in a BCS bowl game each of the last two years. They sent 3 teams to a bowl games this year. Troy (8-4 reg season) had a great season and stayed at home for the holidays while (in my opinion) an inferior Fresno state (8-4 reg season) went bowling. So I think that there is a perception that the WAC is a better conference. SO I could see where someone could put up a fairly good argument that it is a promotion.

I believe that RV has stayed because of the potential of UNT. Great football market. Great President who wants success on and off the playing surfaces. Great capital campaign for the entire campus. A conference that has taken great strides recently.

Edited by AnotherEagleFan

And so far I am not seeing the recruiting "jump" that his HS ties were supposed to bring.

Say what? We may not be outrecruiting UT, but if our commits hold we will have perhaps the best recruiting class on paper this school has ever had.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Say what? We may not be outrecruiting UT, but if our commits hold we will have perhaps the best recruiting class on paper this school has ever had.

Agreed, we are in better shape in recruiting than I've personally ever seen. Then you throw in TD's ability to pick the best kids, no matter what their ranking in Rivals or anywhere else is, because he knows them from playing against and coaching them we could have greatness in 1-2 years. Maybe 2-3?? Sorry for aiding in the hijacking of this thread. :rolleyes:

I need to say this somewhere, the basketball blog is probably better but, I was so impressed when I saw RV and Dr. Bataille get totally in to and in support of the game last night. They were on the floor acting as excited and nervous and in to the game as all of us. They were in front of the Pit Crew enjoying the stdetn interactions. Then the team came through single file and slapped hands of the Pit Crew and RV and GB. THAT WAS GREAT! I'v ebeen around a long time and this is GREAT!! RV has got to love this. Why go to a state where "no rules apply"?? Trust me on that staement, Iknow what I'm talking about!! Long live RV and UNT!

Edited by GreenExes

Guest JohnDenver

Tap the brakes on that one a little bit. Nothing wrong with Tech's campus or Ruston in general. I

You serious?! :huh:

The one time I was out there was a few years ago when we got spanked playing Dickey ball.

I was AMAZED at their campus. The dorms looked like Tyler Junior College Extension Campus... There was little vegetation (that survived anyway) and the buildings had very little character. Things just looked run-down and in disrepair. It was their homecoming, so I figured it would have had their best lipstick on, but it looked more like a tranny than a beauty queen. I did enjoy their tailgating area up on the hill under the trees... but their stadium is just a knotch (and I do mean barely) better than Fouts.

Student Reviews dot com..

As far as Ruston goes, I didn't say anything about it. I like small towns.. I enjoyed driving through it. I liked some of the old house. In general, sure Ruston was good. I may pick to live there as an adult with kids, but certainly doesn't seem like a place an athlete wants to go.

As ranked by rivals (may not be the best but it is what we have to go by)

2003 - 84

2004 - 72

2005 - 97

2006 - 111

2007 - 114

2008 - 80 currently

I dont consider 80 a big jump over 84 and we are not quite up to 72. A good recruiter (which is the main reason we hired TD) should be able to get any team in the 60's. a top 60 class will have UNT winning the Sunbelt each year as well as competing agianst the non conference opponents.

As ranked by rivals (may not be the best but it is what we have to go by)

2003 - 84

2004 - 72

2005 - 97

2006 - 111

2007 - 114

2008 - 80 currently

I dont consider 80 a big jump over 84 and we are not quite up to 72. A good recruiter (which is the main reason we hired TD) should be able to get any team in the 60's. a top 60 class will have UNT winning the Sunbelt each year as well as competing agianst the non conference opponents.

That 2004 class (ranked #72) does not hold a candle to the current class on paper. That class had 2 3-star recruits, as did the 2003 class. The 2008 class has 7.

That 2004 class (ranked #72) does not hold a candle to the current class on paper. That class had 2 3-star recruits, as did the 2003 class. The 2008 class has 7.

Good point! We have all said potential is what we want to find and turn in to kinetic when the kids/men hit the field. I have total trust TD will be far better than DD ever was to turn these recruits in to winners as individuals and team members.

In addition, I hate putting any weight on Rivals :blowup: stars or rankings. You can buy a star to add to any team if you are a Big 12 school and need the hype. Then there goes your ranking......up a couple nothces!

Well it is a rank of how well we are doing compared to the rest of the country. In 2004 "on paper" there were 71 teams that did a better job then UNT in recruiting. This year "on paper" 79 teams are doing a better job then UNT in recruiting. Hardly a "jump".