Unt: 48 Years Since Last Ap Ranking

rcade

Guest 97and03

The final poll for this year definately tells you that UNT's top 25 ranking that is expected by many here will be hard fought. I think it will take more than one season of pretty big success. FAU won the conference and their bowl game and received no votes. Whereas we can see that another team not in D1 did:

Appalachian State 5

It will probably take a couple of years of winning at least half the OOC games, winning the SBC, and the NO Bowl (or whichever one it ends up being) to get ranked. I haven't done the research, but I would bet it took TCU, Boise St, Hawaii, etc. more than one year of success to break into the national media's attention enough to get votes.

So let's start next year!

The top rankings during the Fry years were of our opponents - not of North Texas. Hayden used to have one of the votes on the coaches poll and he would rank some of our opponents as high as second or third so they would be highly ranked when North Texas played them. By doing that he caused people to really sit up and take notice if North Texas played one of the "big boys" tough - or even won the game. He was a slick old devil, wasn't he?????

The top rankings during the Fry years were of our opponents - not of North Texas. Hayden used to have one of the votes on the coaches poll and he would rank some of our opponents as high as second or third so they would be highly ranked when North Texas played them. By doing that he caused people to really sit up and take notice if North Texas played one of the "big boys" tough - or even won the game. He was a slick old devil, wasn't he?????

And from time to time he also voted high for North Texas to get the same recognition. I don't blame him at all. Why not have pride in your team and vote that way?

That is not correct. NT was ranked as high as #17 at one point, I believe. Someone with a better memory than a 10 year old at the time recall what our highest ranking was during the Fry years?

This site shows final rankings only. It shows North Texas as finishing the season tied with BYU for the #16 spot in the coaches' poll in 1977, but nothing in the AP poll that I can see.

The final poll for this year definately tells you that UNT's top 25 ranking that is expected by many here will be hard fought. I think it will take more than one season of pretty big success. FAU won the conference and their bowl game and received no votes. Whereas we can see that another team not in D1 did:

Appalachian State 5

It will probably take a couple of years of winning at least half the OOC games, winning the SBC, and the NO Bowl (or whichever one it ends up being) to get ranked. I haven't done the research, but I would bet it took TCU, Boise St, Hawaii, etc. more than one year of success to break into the national media's attention enough to get votes.

So let's start next year!

When is the last time any SunBelch school made it into the top 25 in D1 football??