Dodge Wants Unt To Be Family Haha

KBJ

HH,

You beat me to the same topic by a couple of minutes. I don't think many people here have been bashing players individually. What people are saying, is that some of DD's players may not be the types of players that TD would necessarily recruit.

You see this kind of the thing in the NFL all the time. Buddy Ryan comes into Philly and wants physical players. Jimmy Johnson comes into Dallas and gets rid of some pretty big names, because they don't fit his style of play. I bring up these 2 coaches because they were pretty extreme with cleaning house at first. Some players are going to adapt to the new system and some won't. Those that don't are probably going to fall out of favor quickly. This does not mean the cut players have no talent. They just don't fit well with the new team chemistry.

Could DD win more games this year with this team ? Very possible.

Will TD win more games in the next few years than we would have with DD ? I would take that bet in a second if possible. The fact is, TD is out recruiting anything we have seen in the past.

Somehow we all need to find a middle ground here. Bashing the coaching staff after 1/2 of the season is just ridiculous and seems like something only a novice would say (no offense, but good lord). And, bashing the players in a public forum is probably also counterproductive.

It really does seem that some users have specific motives when it comes to their comments, because the arguments are far from logical.

Edited by akriesman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And DD took it from what 800 Tickets to avg. 14,500

800 what? Season Tickets?

14,500 what? Season average attendance?

Are you comparing apples to apples here? Show me some numbers here. Give me some numbers to prove your point. Don't deviate from your quote either please.

Thanks KBJ for having the guts to post what you did. Other than you. FFR John Denver and a few others, everyone else on this board wants to throw the players that have been here for 4 and 5 years under the bus or out of the program. You people have no idea what these guys have been through since they came to North Texas. I can tell you the last couple of years for these guys have been really rough. They expected a new coach and coaching staff to come in here and things to be different.

Well, guess what, the faces have changed but the actions are the same.

If any of you question them about the program, they aren't going to tell you what goes on behind the scenes. They are going to smile and tell you things are great. These players are men and they are handling situations like MEN. So many of these guys have done everything they have been asked to do by the previous coaching staff and this one. They go to class, they make good grades, they don't get in trouble, they try to be examples for the younger guys, they don't complain, they have played through injuries and they have been 2, 3 and 4 year starters. And guess what. They are riding the bench without any explanation as to why. And again, I say, walk up to any of them and ask them about Dodge or the coaching staff or the program and they will smile and having nothing but nice things to say.

And stop calling them Dickey's boys. Go back and read their bios. They were the best in their UIL districts too. But these young men are not Dickey's boys or Dodge's boys. They are the University of North Texas football players. They came to play football for the University of North Texas not a coach. They came to the University of North Texas to get a good education, go out into the real world and come back one day and be fans and support their university.

After listening to the way so called fans on this board bash players, if I were these players, I wouldn't come back and I wouldn't give a dime of my money to North Texas.

You seem very confident that you know what goes on behind the scenes. It's funny but I know a couple guys on the team who are seniors, who've been to a New Orleans bowl, and the only answer I get when I ask about the difference in the coaches is, "It's nice not to be treated like $hi!t".

Losing creates problems and winning solves everything. I feel for those parents and players who feel like they deserve to be on the field. Coaching changes suck and recruiting year after year for players who might replace those players has to be tough on everyone. This is the part of college football that is nasty. Coaching staffs are constantly trying to replace kids or areas of their team with better players be it thru the high school or junior college ranks.

This is a business that hurts many kids and families. Maybe the administrators of this board can make some new rules that do not allow any post that attacks any player. In other words, if you have nothing good to say then don't say it.

Coaches and administrators are professionals and get paid. If you want to negatively go after them, then so be it. But maybe we can lay off Roman, the O-L, the slow linebackers, the QB play, Jamario vs. his freshman year, the kicker, the slow WR core, the poor technique by the DB's who have no speed, the ball boy, the strength coach, the janitor, etc, etc.

I would hate to think that any member of the current staff is lying to any kid on the team. I have trouble with those kinds of comments. Coaches motivate in various ways that we fans sometime like and sometimes despise. Again, this is a big time business and its all about the money. If your thinking otherwise, I believe your thinking wrong.

I know I need a big dose of this medicine.

And stop calling them Dickey's boys. Go back and read their bios. They were the best in their UIL districts too. But these young men are not Dickey's boys or Dodge's boys. They are the University of North Texas football players. They came to play football for the University of North Texas not a coach. They came to the University of North Texas to get a good education, go out into the real world and come back one day and be fans and support their university.

I think too many people lose sight of this. It's too easy to make ourselves (the fans) feel better by blaming someone, anyone, for the losing.

Coaches and administrators are professionals and get paid. If you want to negatively go after them, then so be it. But maybe we can lay off Roman, the O-L, the slow linebackers, the QB play, Jamario vs. his freshman year, the kicker, the slow WR core, the poor technique by the DB's who have no speed, the ball boy, the strength coach, the janitor, etc, etc.

So, on a fan message board, all we should be talking about is the administration and the coaching? Sounds like a pretty lively discussion.

God, I want us to win some football games. Quoner, want to open another new stadium thread?

This whole thread is ridiculous.

Look, the bottom line is this - with Dickey, Simon, Parker, or Todd Dodge - we get what we pay for. We don't have the money to pay for real college football coaches, and so we don't get them. We don't get our program turned around in a season like other schools. We get perpetual rebuilding. We don't get a new stadium or renovations on the current one like other schools do, we get Fouts repainted every now and then and battling with crickets.

Hey, you know what? So what. That's all we have the money for. Second rate coaches and an old high school-grade football stadium. That's it. That's the whole enchilada, my friends.

And, so, the fanbase, who has been fooled yet again, is tearing itself apart because of the idiots who run the show? Step back, my Mean Green bretheren. Take a deep breath, and realize what you've been sold...and sold...and sold...and re-sold. It's crap. Crap wrapped in a different package every time.

Meager, Vizza...who cares? They've both thrown more interceptions than touchdowns. Without the defense snapping out of it for one whole quarter, Vizza would be winless this year, too.

This linebacker or that linebacker. This lineman or that lineman. This running back or that running back. It doesn't matter. They don't have anyone who can steer them through a major colleg football game anyway. No one who can size up a major college opponent on film and make a decent game plan. No one who can go in a halftime, digest what has just happened for 30 mintues, then come up with a plan to change it for the better.

It's not there. And, guess what? It's not going to be there because we didn't hire college coaches. It doesn't matter. They could grab Mean Joe Green out of the stands and call Deion Sanders and suit him up secretly and it wouldn't matter. These coaches don't know what they're doing if the game plan doesn't work from snap one.

Bob Stoops realized it. So did Howard Schnellenberger. And, Houston Nutt, and on and on and on to Larry "We saw something on film we thought we could exploit" over and over again Blakeney. They all realized what we have here. It must be like shooting fish in a barrell to those guys.

It'll take some of you longer than other to realize that the crap we see on the field runs deeper than the quarterback, the poor player personnel decisions, the maddening inability of the coaching staff to adjust to anything offensively or defensively during an actual game, the gross regression of the special teams (once our calling card along with a tough defense), etc. It's just bad football. Again.

And, except for a four year bowl run, and few highlight wins under Hayden Fry in the 70s, some near-misses under Corky Nelson in the 80s, and a couple of tweakings of Texas Tech in the 90s, that's all this program has ever been - a school that plays bad football. Our presidents don't take it seriously. Never have. Our Board of Directors don't take it seriously. Never have. They still don't.

Therefore, I suggest you all stop taking it so seriously that you waste time ripping each other here.

You want a chart? You like statistics and charts so you fight each other over who's the worst? Here's a chart for you:

2006: Mediorce running game + poor passing game + average defense + average special team = crap.

2007: Nonexistent running game + passing game in games 1 through 5, then disappearing in games 6 and 7 + abhorrent defense + abysmal special teams = crap

There ya go. Either way you slice it, you've been paying for, and getting crap, for the past two seasons. Three seasons when you throw in 2005 for good measure. Who freakin' cares?

I went to North Texas because I wanted to go there. I liked the degree program they had for me. I liked the campus, the atmosphere, the scene. Football played 0% into my decision about coming to UNT.

You know what? Win , lose, or draw, I'll love UNT no matter what the football team does. As of two weeks ago, I could care less. The administration can set up as many smoke and mirrors as it wants about the stadium, coaches, and the whole nine yards. It's all just bullcrap. I ain't buyin' it anymo'...and I suggest you don't either.

Many of you, like me, have families to feed and nurture. You students for sure need every penny you can muster for food and beer for you and your dates (assuming you get off this message board long enough to spend some time with the opposite sex). You also need to study. Watching this parade of never-ending crap is a waste of your time and money and mine.

Save your time, save your money...and save yourselves from arguing about which interception-prone quarterback will lead the team to defeat. Life is far more important than to get bogged down on the circus they call a football program at our alma mater in Denton.

Seriously. Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols summed it up best when the band was collapsing on and off stage - "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

Yeah, Johnny. Yeah, we sure do.

Lay off the personal attacks on any player. That is way f-ing out of bounds.

If Meager left this program, some a-hole would attack him quiting on the team. So he's damned if leaves and damned if he stays.

Maybe you don't like the results. I guarantee that neither does he. But he's played his f-ing guts out. He's battled through injuries, battled through coaching changes, and given his all. Is he a great player? Maybe not, but I haven't heard a word out of him since he got benched. He's taken it like a man and he's still there to be the team's backup. I'm not saying give him back the starter's job, but I am saying that Daniel Meager damned well deserves a little more respect from the likes of North Texas fans, whose immaturity, impatience, and rudeness is starting to wear a thin.

I totally agree. I was probably one of the most vocal about starting Vizza over Meager (and I still feel the same way), but that doesn't mean I don't respect Meager's determination and spirit. That kid has heart and drive and he's a true competitor. I have full confidence that he can pick up where the starter (be it Vizza or Rodge) left off, should our starter get injured.

Dear Dodge please right this ship and make threads like this go away. Figure out whatever it is that needs to be corrected, including looking inwards, and make it happen. Give me hope that somewhere is that next great coach that figures something out, earns his way up to the top, and is pulled away by the million dollar contract....and that that man is you.

Not every great coach started with an 8+ win season, right? Somewhere, at some time, there had to be some coach who waded through some 0-12, budget-strained, fire-breathing couch-fan-based-bull, only to turn a corner and re-write the books.

...right?

Look, the bottom line is this - with Dickey, Simon, Parker, or Todd Dodge - we get what we pay for. We don't have the money to pay for real college football coaches, and so we don't get them. We don't get our program turned around in a season like other schools. We get perpetual rebuilding. We don't get a new stadium or renovations on the current one like other schools do, we get Fouts repainted every now and then and battling with crickets.

Hey, you know what? So what. That's all we have the money for. Second rate coaches and an old high school-grade football stadium. That's it. That's the whole enchilada, my friends.

And, so, the fanbase, who has been fooled yet again, is tearing itself apart because of the idiots who run the show? Step back, my Mean Green bretheren. Take a deep breath, and realize what you've been sold...and sold...and sold...and re-sold. It's crap. Crap wrapped in a different package every time.

Meager, Vizza...who cares? They've both thrown more interceptions than touchdowns. Without the defense snapping out of it for one whole quarter, Vizza would be winless this year, too.

This linebacker or that linebacker. This lineman or that lineman. This running back or that running back. It doesn't matter. They don't have anyone who can steer them through a major colleg football game anyway. No one who can size up a major college opponent on film and make a decent game plan. No one who can go in a halftime, digest what has just happened for 30 mintues, then come up with a plan to change it for the better.

It's not there. And, guess what? It's not going to be there because we didn't hire college coaches. It doesn't matter. They could grab Mean Joe Green out of the stands and call Deion Sanders and suit him up secretly and it wouldn't matter. These coaches don't know what they're doing if the game plan doesn't work from snap one.

Bob Stoops realized it. So did Howard Schnellenberger. And, Houston Nutt, and on and on and on to Larry "We saw something on film we thought we could exploit" over and over again Blakeney. They all realized what we have here. It must be like shooting fish in a barrell to those guys.

It'll take some of you longer than other to realize that the crap we see on the field runs deeper than the quarterback, the poor player personnel decisions, the maddening inability of the coaching staff to adjust to anything offensively or defensively during an actual game, the gross regression of the special teams (once our calling card along with a tough defense), etc. It's just bad football. Again.

And, except for a four year bowl run, and few highlight wins under Hayden Fry in the 70s, some near-misses under Corky Nelson in the 80s, and a couple of tweakings of Texas Tech in the 90s, that's all this program has ever been - a school that plays bad football. Our presidents don't take it seriously. Never have. Our Board of Directors don't take it seriously. Never have. They still don't.

Therefore, I suggest you all stop taking it so seriously that you waste time ripping each other here.

You want a chart? You like statistics and charts so you fight each other over who's the worst? Here's a chart for you:

2006: Mediorce running game + poor passing game + average defense + average special team = crap.

2007: Nonexistent running game + passing game in games 1 through 5, then disappearing in games 6 and 7 + abhorrent defense + abysmal special teams = crap

There ya go. Either way you slice it, you've been paying for, and getting crap, for the past two seasons. Three seasons when you throw in 2005 for good measure. Who freakin' cares?

I went to North Texas because I wanted to go there. I liked the degree program they had for me. I liked the campus, the atmosphere, the scene. Football played 0% into my decision about coming to UNT.

You know what? Win , lose, or draw, I'll love UNT no matter what the football team does. As of two weeks ago, I could care less. The administration can set up as many smoke and mirrors as it wants about the stadium, coaches, and the whole nine yards. It's all just bullcrap. I ain't buyin' it anymo'...and I suggest you don't either.

Many of you, like me, have families to feed and nurture. You students for sure need every penny you can muster for food and beer for you and your dates (assuming you get off this message board long enough to spend some time with the opposite sex). You also need to study. Watching this parade of never-ending crap is a waste of your time and money and mine.

Save your time, save your money...and save yourselves from arguing about which interception-prone quarterback will lead the team to defeat. Life is far more important than to get bogged down on the circus they call a football program at our alma mater in Denton.

Seriously. Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols summed it up best when the band was collapsing on and off stage - "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

Yeah Johnny, we do, kinda.... If you don't have hope to hold onto then what is the point. it is entertaining and emotional to support a team and that is why you do it. boise St was not always good, neither was TCU but the past few years when they have pulle dthemselves together to play well and beat the odds their fans have had a great time. Most of us here want to feel that feeling and that pride.

it is great that football played no part in your decisions to come to this great school and it wasn't part of mine either but I still enjoy it, am proud of it, want it to succeed and support it. you make some great points but I sincerely hope that you are wrong. Being a fan is more than just winning, that would be fun but it wouldn't be as satisfying.

You know, if you truely feel this way, then why are you on this board? Go support Tulsa, or whatever school you received your post graduate degree from. At some point, schools like Kentucky, Utah, Boise State, TCU, Rutgers, etc... said enough is enough and put forth the effort and committed to having a successful program. There is no reason to believe that is not what is happening at North Texas right now. There are too many signs that indicate that this program is headed in the right direction.

I believe Dodge is a "real college football coach" and that our assistants will be fine. As with any coach, Dodge surrounded himself with coaches he is familiar with and has a nice mix of coaches with college and HS experience. These coaches are well respected by the HS coaches throughout Texas, which was needed considering not many of them respected the previous coaching staff.

If Meager left this program, some a-hole would attack him quiting on the team. So he's damned if leaves and damned if he stays.

Maybe you don't like the results. I guarantee that neither does he. But he's played his f-ing guts out. He's battled through injuries, battled through coaching changes, and given his all. Is he a great player? Maybe not, but I haven't heard a word out of him since he got benched. He's taken it like a man and he's still there to be the team's backup. I'm not saying give him back the starter's job, but I am saying that Daniel Meager damned well deserves a little more respect from the likes of North Texas fans, whose immaturity, impatience, and rudeness is starting to wear a thin.

I too have gained a lot of respect for Daniel this season. He has proven to be the team player that so many on these boards doubted he could be.

Excellent post. More than anything, Daniel should be concerned with making sure he doesn't get another concussion. One more and his brains could be spaghetti. We all knew that was a risk coming into the season, as I'm sure Daniel was also aware, but still he played hard and did what he could. I don't think he's the leader of the team, but he's got a lot of guts going out there knowing that he's probably going to get hit. I haven't ever been a huge fan of his play, but I am a big fan of his commitment to the team.