We Are All Human

RamoneArchie

Okay, let me start by saying that we as coaches are going to get critisized from time to time. We know that we are evaluated on a weekly bases and the results are clear. You win you've passed the evalutation, you lose and you fail. This happens at every level of football from Pop Warner leagues to the NFL. We expect the criticism and sometimes need it to make us better. All that being said, we are also humans.

There's all of this talk about the mystery coach that confronted FFR, the most visable North Texas Fan in the stands. Okay, maybe it's not a mystery. We all assume it's Mendoza. I'm going to say i'm not defending his actions, but I understand.

Like I said earlier, coaches do read this board! And even though we shouldn't take things that are said about us in a Forum personal we are human, and we do. For example. Last year before the Texas game I would read the board from time to time and I would read alot of negative posts. Well, negative if you were standing in my shoes. So, on the way down to the game I see a guy that was identified to me as one of the negative posters. Of course I wasn't going to confront him, but I did take the comments personal. To top things off this guy was getting a free ride on our bus down to Austin. I was like what? Okay, so you want to talk noise about how horrible we are and how we should be fired, but you'll ride down to the game with us like nothing had ever been said. I didn't confront him, but I did take it personal.

This coach is human. He had to be under alot of stress because of the way the defense was performing and I wouldn't doubt if there was a little self doubt slipping into his conscience. Even though FFR didn't call for his head on this board, he was the most visable fan so he took out his anger on him. You have to realize the weight that was lifted off his shoulders when the defense played, in my opinion, Great. Finally some validation that he did belong here as a D-I coordinator. He reaction was just a big, "now say something" to all of the doubters. Was it right? No. Do I agree with it? No. Could he have reacted differently? Yes. Have we all done or acted in way that we later regreted? I would say yes.

No matter how old we get, or how long we are in the business of coaching one fact that doesn't change is, We are still human. With human emotions and human mistakes. Hopefully this coach will appologize and we can get on with the season.

Just my take.

So I have to ask - why do coaches take the time to read this board? Seriously - don't they have enough on their plates not to spend time reading this board?

Well, you don't spend all day reading it of course. It's just human nature to see what people think about you positive or negative. Why do AD's read it? More people read it then would probably admit to. I only found out about it when I was hired, someone told me my article was on the board. So, every once in a while I would visit the sight to see what people were saying. Maybe it's just me.

..... To top things off this guy was getting a free ride on our bus down to Austin. I was like what? Okay, so you want to talk noise about how horrible we are and how we should be fired, but you'll ride down to the game with us like nothing had ever been said. I didn't confront him, but I did take it personal.....

Maybe the coaches also need to realize that this person was not receiving a free ride on YOUR bus, but was most likely a significant donor who received for his donations the opportunity to ride with the team on the University's bus.

Maybe the coaches also need to realize that this person was not receiving a free ride on YOUR bus, but was most likely a significant donor who received for his donations the opportunity to ride with the team on the University's bus.

Probably right. I guess sometimes our perception of things could get skewed a bit, wow imagine that. Thanks for the info.

I have been attending NT games since '66......longer than some of you are old.

After watching the good years with the bad and the rebuilding process that accompanies coaching changes I will have to admit that I, for one, am impressed with "all" of this coaching staff and their long term goals for the future.

Individuals who have only attended games for five or ten years, or maybe less, certainly do not have the perspective of watching rebuilding, new schemes from the "O" or "D" when coaching changes occur, or the quaility of players being recruited that either stay, become injured, become academically ineligible or just quit. The consistant change presents too many intangibles and rotation of players for us to imagine as fans. Thank goodness it is left up to the coaches to sort through who gets to play and why, who gets limited time due to injury and the list goes on.

As excited as everyone on this board was to get such a recognizable coach and the quality of assistants in such a short time we, as fans, should be more excited and supportive of their efforts. I am because I see the quality in just about every aspect of what Coach Dodge wants and will do for NT.

I remember driving through Stanton, Texas one year and outside of town there was a billboard that read, "Stanton, home of 10,000 (or so) friendly people and a few 'ol soreheads." During the last few weeks the "soreheads" have expressed their unmitigated opinions, unfairly toward the NT coaching staff. Some of you people remember when NT was in the Big West and would beat Boise State? Boise found an excellent coach who stuck with the program and developed a winner. Coach Fry was not that sucessful the first year at NT. Some, if not all of you "soreheads" would have fired Coach Fry.

President "B" and RV have hired, IMHO, the best coach since Coach Fry. Coach Dodge, like Coach Fry can recruit and play an exciting brand of football that "will" produce wins, recognition and possibly a new stadium and a conference change to the program.

Give these coaches a chance to show what they can do. Heck, even your current employers had to endure some of the gaffs that some of you did and possibly should have been fired for. Don't be so eager to point the finger at someone because when you do you are really pointing four fingers back at you!

We all saw pretty close to 20,000 supporters of this program Saturday night against La-Mo and now a handfull wants to try to dominate this board and print "vile" statements that, IMHO, should not even be dignified by response by the coaching staff. Just a reminder......the handfull of posters that print discouraging statements toward the football staff do not represent the thousands of people who respect, support and pull for the football team and that includes the Univ. of Mizzu coach (from his comments in last week's Fort Worth Star-Telegram) stating what a great coach TD is.

In a democracy we call this a landside vote of support for "all" of the NT football staff.

Okay, let me start by saying that we as coaches are going to get critisized from time to time. We know that we are evaluated on a weekly bases and the results are clear. You win you've passed the evalutation, you lose and you fail. This happens at every level of football from Pop Warner leagues to the NFL. We expect the criticism and sometimes need it to make us better. All that being said, we are also humans.

There's all of this talk about the mystery coach that confronted FFR, the most visable North Texas Fan in the stands. Okay, maybe it's not a mystery. We all assume it's Mendoza. I'm going to say i'm not defending his actions, but I understand.

Like I said earlier, coaches do read this board! And even though we shouldn't take things that are said about us in a Forum personal we are human, and we do. For example. Last year before the Texas game I would read the board from time to time and I would read alot of negative posts. Well, negative if you were standing in my shoes. So, on the way down to the game I see a guy that was identified to me as one of the negative posters. Of course I wasn't going to confront him, but I did take the comments personal. To top things off this guy was getting a free ride on our bus down to Austin. I was like what? Okay, so you want to talk noise about how horrible we are and how we should be fired, but you'll ride down to the game with us like nothing had ever been said. I didn't confront him, but I did take it personal.

This coach is human. He had to be under alot of stress because of the way the defense was performing and I wouldn't doubt if there was a little self doubt slipping into his conscience. Even though FFR didn't call for his head on this board, he was the most visable fan so he took out his anger on him. You have to realize the weight that was lifted off his shoulders when the defense played, in my opinion, Great. Finally some validation that he did belong here as a D-I coordinator. He reaction was just a big, "now say something" to all of the doubters. Was it right? No. Do I agree with it? No. Could he have reacted differently? Yes. Have we all done or acted in way that we later regreted? I would say yes.

No matter how old we get, or how long we are in the business of coaching one fact that doesn't change is, We are still human. With human emotions and human mistakes. Hopefully this coach will appologize and we can get on with the season.

Just my take.

Very good points. Part of being a coach is knowing that people will second guess everything you do, but coaches are human, and I would probably log on from time to time to see what the fans think. It's just the natural.

So I have to ask - why do coaches take the time to read this board? Seriously - don't they have enough on their plates not to spend time reading this board?

This is the same question I have. I coached for a few years and one year in particular in a small East Texas town. We did not have a good football season. This was before message boards became the rage. As a coach I stayed away the barbershop, I stayed away from the teacher's lounge, I pretty much stayed away from anywhere folks would be rilled up about the season. I knew if I went to those places I'd hear a lot of negative talk. When I did find myself in those situations with someone wanted to bad mouth the team ... or a player ... or me, I'd smile ... tell them to have a nice day ... and excuse myself. I might have been upset but I never took it personal and never allowed myself to be sucked into a negative discussion.

In other words ... why are coaches reading this board when they should know there won't be much postive written. In the same vein, why do coaches read and watch the media when they know reporters will support them one week and bury them the next. If coaches want a pat on the back a message board (and the media) is not the place to go. If I was one of the UNT coaches I guess I might glance at the board once in a while but I wouldn't take any of it seriously. I wouldn't listen to anyone outside of the program.

I don't blame the coaches or anyone in the program for reading the board. It is the closest thing to honest feedback that they will receive. Although the feedback can be misguided, wrong or just plain ignorant, this board represents different fan opinions at any given time. Very few people have the opportunity or the nerve to tell a coach how they feel about the play calling. If there was a board at your work where your customers were talking about your personal work performance, you would probably read it as well.

If there was a board at your work where your customers were talking about your personal work performance, you would probably read it as well.

Every major corporation does and there are conferences and an entire industry built around how to track it. This is just phase two of that damn internet changing everything.

This is the same question I have. I coached for a few years and one year in particular in a small East Texas town. We did not have a good football season. This was before message boards became the rage. As a coach I stayed away the barbershop, I stayed away from the teacher's lounge, I pretty much stayed away from anywhere folks would be rilled up about the season. I knew if I went to those places I'd hear a lot of negative talk. When I did find myself in those situations with someone wanted to bad mouth the team ... or a player ... or me, I'd smile ... tell them to have a nice day ... and excuse myself. I might have been upset but I never took it personal and never allowed myself to be sucked into a negative discussion.

In other words ... why are coaches reading this board when they should know there won't be much postive written. In the same vein, why do coaches read and watch the media when they know reporters will support them one week and bury them the next. If coaches want a pat on the back a message board (and the media) is not the place to go. If I was one of the UNT coaches I guess I might glance at the board once in a while but I wouldn't take any of it seriously. I wouldn't listen to anyone outside of the program.

Personally I think that is easier said than done. Especially considering the anonymity of a message board from the sanctity of your home or office.

I will say I am little put off by the message board's tone this season. In the 8 or so years I have been reading this board I have never seen the posters be so uncivil towards each other. Not to mention the complete lack of patience with a brand new coaching staff. I sure am glad there is not a public forum to bash my week by week job performance. Especially my first year.

Oh well, to each his own, but for me reading this board is not nearly as enjoyable as it once was. That is too bad, because there is so much to be excited about right now. No, losing is not one of them. But, that will change in time. And, when it does, pucker up you naysayers because you will owe some brand new University employees an apology. I have noticed those are not nearly as forthcoming on this board.

I think you have just as many people complaining as usual, but the optimists are just avoiding the negativity, reading it and laughing (and possibly even occasionally stirring it) or just not visiting the board as much.

A few years ago it took more courage to question than it did to stick up for things. Now the pendulum has swung. Winning will cure that.

Every major corporation does and there are conferences and an entire industry built around how to track it. This is just phase two of that damn internet changing everything.

This is absolutely true. The message board stuff affects a lot of us.

I own a firm that develops gaming/entertainment software. Despite the fact that our products are very highly rated, you will always have naysayers. Because of this, I completely stay away from public forums where negative discussions about our products might possibly take place. There was a short period in the beginning (4 years ago), when I fell into the public forum trap. It is not worth the time and effort to debate potential or current customers. Plus, having to defend yourself looks bad any way you present your case. If you put out a good product, your customers will do any necessary debating for you when needed.

This same holds true in this forum. If someone is out of line when it comes to criticizing coaches or players, the majority will usually come to the defense of the player/coach being criticized. The best advice I could give to any players or coaches regarding public forums, is to do the best job you can and let your supportive fans fight your battles for you. Also, don't hold grudges. The criticizing fans will more than likely be humbled anyway, when things start to turnaround.

I hate using a non-football example in this case. But, the same holds true for anyone that is in the public eye, regardless of the profession.

I gotta say there is no excuse. I've never been a coach, but I do work in an industry where people can somewhat anonymously criticize me and attack what I do. Yes, it's tough to take, but you have to. Honestly, you have no choice. They call it thick skin and you have to develop it. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt or is easy to read, but it comes with the territory. I have had people that don't even no me personally attack me and my family for a stupid sports opinion. It's not right and makes me angry, but you have to take it with a grain of salt.

So I see why a coach might get mad at comments made here, but too bad. If you don't have the thick skin, quit reading or change careers. It might sound harsh, but it's the truth.

Okay, let me start by saying that we as coaches are going to get critisized from time to time. ... we are also humans.

... With human emotions and human mistakes. Hopefully this coach will appologize and we can get on with the season.

Oh, yeah? What about Coach Johnny-Five, who if memory serves me correctly coached ULaMo to the Toilet Bowl in 1986?

j5_and_toronto.jpg

I had a free ride on the bus to Austin last year, so I certainly hope you aren't talking about me. I won the free trip at a fans gathering before the season. Emmitt and I both rode on the bus and had to deal with the no A/C back to the hotel.

I can't imagine it would be me you were speaking of since I pretty rarely put my ultra hot sports opinions here in print. If it was me that was identified to you...............they were wrong and just lumped me in with all posters on the board.

Edited by Zeke

RamoneArchie,

I certainly respect and appreciate your posts on here as you do really give a NT perspective but why fault message board poster for expressing their opinions on an open forum board? In every profession, industry, country, culture etc we are all judged in someway by our performance and how we carry ourselves. This just so happens that this is a coach for a D1A football team very near a top 5 market. So what, big deal. I have been a strong support of Mendoza even after week 5 saying that everything takes time and that there is a learning curve whether we all like it or not but for some douche of a coach to take it on arguably NT number 1 fan and most visible fan in front of his young child then I am sorry that NOBODY deserves any slack like that. He should be disciplined immediately and possibly even suspended. This isn't UT where they can lose 1,000 fans but it doesnt affect them one bit cuz they will have another 10,000 new fans waiting in line. We need all the support we can get and for that coach to do what he did then I am sorry, thats unacceptable. Remember they are paid to do a certain job and if they cant handle it then they are in the wrong profession. I have always said and believed that all athletes and celebrities do read or atleast take a glance at what the world thinks of them but that should only make you better and more alert in trying to do better. Whoever that coach was I think should be thankful that people are pointing out his suckdom through the first 5 weeks of the season cuz maybe that will make him study harder to correct things. Again I certainly respect and appreciate your posts on here but I will have to disagree with you here.

Why would any person who is paid to follow the team (coach, players, trainers, sports reporters) read anything from any message board much less take any of it seriously?

I remember saying this once before. We are all just “Ignorant Fans.” Unless you are paid to be around the team, are a member of the team, spend 8-10 hours every day working with the coaches or players, reporting on the team, we as fans really don’t know what is going on. Fans are on the outside looking in. No one in a higher position with the team should take anything any “fan” says seriously.

And this isn’t just this board. It is every fan of every team in every sport ever played or will ever be played in every country. Fans are ignorant to the real workings of the team and sport. We know a lot, but we definitely don’t know as much as a coach, player, or reporter.

Of course I wasn't going to confront him, but I did take the comments personal. To top things off this guy was getting a free ride on our bus down to Austin. I was like what? Okay, so you want to talk noise about how horrible we are and how we should be fired, but you'll ride down to the game with us like nothing had ever been said. I didn't confront him, but I did take it personal.

I still don't know how to quote things, oh well. Anyway, I must apologize to the people that were on that bus down to Austin. They won some type of contest and got the free trip down to Austin with us on the bus. I didn't say that these guys weren't mean green fans, they are two of the biggest. I still say the negative comments on the board from one of them bothered me. So sorry to you two and I definately don't have a problem with you now! Hope to see you at the next game!

Okay, last thing and i'm out. I didn't say I excused his actions. I didn't say he shouldn't be disciplined. I just said I understood his frustration. Was some of it valid? Maybe. Was the defense playing horrible? Yes. I don't know this coach from Allysa Milano (I love her by the way. If any of you guys ever come across Ms. Milano send her my way), my point was from President to local dog catcher. We Are All Human.