Doom & Gloom Off The Pony Board

MeanGreen61

Multiple page thread

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19362

[EDIT: Sorry for putting this back at the top of the list. Please note that this references last year's debacle at UNT]

Captain's log. Another 4:00 a.m. post.

I am more depressed and p!ssed off today about SMU football than I have ever been. I went to SMU for seven years through the 90s and have watched this team since I was a kid. With expectations at post-death penalty high this year, this team sunk to a new all-time low last night.

All apologies to the current players, most of whom are busting their @sses for the team and don't deserve to be bashed as individuals, but what the @*#&% @^$#&^$# was that on the field last night? That, my friends, was not football... it was a complete and utter joke.

More importantly, what is there to be excted about with SMU football? Everyone can just officially shut their @sses about anything positive with this team or our football program. There isn't one thing to be hopeful about, and if you think otherwise you're a sunshiner and seriously delusional. The program has ZERO HOPE. ZERO HOPE. Our quarterback situation is probably the worst in division 1. We have big, fast wide receivers who can't catch a cold in a snowstorm. We have defensive backs who make plays on the ball as if it were a nuclear warhead. We have two pathetically sh!tty recruiting classes on the board and after this year's joke of a season, we'll be served up another round of bottom-feeding next year and great excitement about signing a couple of the area's top 100 players.

The @#$*&^(#*@ worst part of everything, though, is that Phil Bennett couldn't coach his way out of a nutsack. He's a great guy and I really have rooted for him to succeed here, but it isn't working. This team is PATHETIC. We're the most ill-prepared and poorly coached team I have ever seen, including a few pee-wee footbally teams I have been associated with. EVERY fucquing decent play we make is followed, WITHOUT FAIL, by a penalty, fumble, interception or the like. On a couple of plays, I was waiting for a safe to fall out of the sky and land on someone. The game last night against NTSU was just fucquing embarrassing. Our team is a joke. What else is new?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm beyond sick of being part of the laughing stock of college football. I'm tired or guaranteeing to friends that the team will be better... that we'll post a winning record or that we're on the verge of being able to stay on the field with mediocre programs like TCU and Tech (yeah, I saw the fluke victory last year against TCU... spare me... ask Robot Greggo about blind squirrels and broken clocks). I'm tired of having false hopes of (GOD FORBID!!!) a winning season. Which will come first, a bowl game for SMU or the apocalypse?

Here are a few predictions for the future: we're not going to win sh!t this year. We're going to get our fucquing @sses handed to us and holy sh!t we're going to lose to sam houston junior college and probably el centro, if they can put together a team in time to play us next year. Then Justin Willis will either become a rock star or transfer, followed by a starting role in the NFL. Next year we can start a new mediocre freshman and play QB and running back roulette for another 12 games. We'll hire a firm to find us a new coach and the cycle will begin anew. Maybe it's all part of God's plan to to eradicate SMU from NCAA football relevancy and slowly make 99% of the country forget that our otherwise fine instituion even exists. Pure genius the plan is.

The worst part is that there's not a d@mned thing we can do about it. Alumni throwing money at it apparently doesn't help. A large endowment means very little. Making small changes to the admissions process is like wiping sweat off of your face using your dog's @ss as a towel. Hiring new coaches is pointless... they all turn out to lack severely in coaching ability, recruiting ability, or both. Bennett is already in the middle of a 2nd straight complete failure in recruiting, and next year will be number three after we lose all momentum with this year's 1-11 work of art (if we play 11 games let it go, I don't have any desire to even look at the schedule to verify how many games we're playing). We're losing to schools that shouldn't even be in D1. We're going to be lucky to win the next two games against spare teams that we wouldn't even have thought of playing 20 years ago. Just like the Texas Rangers, we are going to S U C K until the day I die and probably well beyond that. There is no hope. We wil always have a pathetic offense, and we will never average 20 points in a season. It's the curse of death penalty. Did we sell Babe Ruth also? No wait, even the Red Sox won something recently.

Not SMU. Football is officially dead here. I am tired of this sh!t. Give it up, SMU. It's time to make another gutless move and throw in the towel like we did Track and baseball. Spare us the 40-point losses against respectable teams and the 20-point losses against teams like NTSU that good high schoool teams could compete with. Give our enslaved loyal followers respite from the continuous beating that is SMU football. Raise us up from the depression on 9 out of 10 weekends during football season.

I have been a die-hard SMU fan for years... I go to games and sit until the end while we get our @sses handed to us, I go to basketball games and I have listened to basketball games on stations that sound like we have a tin cup and wire stretching from my house to Moody (I know, this is a football rant, but while I'm on the subject, why not add in some basketball frustration).

This sh!t is just that... a steaming, heaping pile of pony sh!t. We are a disgrace to college sports. I apologize in advance and wish the best to the guys who have some talent and deserve some modicum of coaching and fan support beyond the 10,000 who make it out to our games. I'm going to concentrate my thoughts on rooting for the Cowboys on Sundays. Wake me in the year 2090 when we win a Division III championship against UTA or we play Highland Park in an under-25 city of Dallas championship or something. This bullsh!t is going to get worse. I just can't take it anymore. I am going to have a heart attack from getting p!ssed off about our football team. I am signing off... I am done. I must quit SMU football.

Good night and good luck.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Texas Tech and TCU are mediocre programs, what does that make SMU's program? Pitiful? TTU and TCU are far from mediocre ... unless you are seeing things through pony glasses.

Never put someone above you lower then what they really are cause it makes it so much easier to put yourself lower then where you really are.

This post is for all you who do not understand (perunapower, General Patton, Big Daddy, Thadfilms, et. al.)

The Kool-Aid reference is to those who blindly follow a leader no matter what as demonstrated by Jim Jones and his requirement to those who follow him to drink Kool-Aid laced with cyanide.

When Bennett first arrived to the Hilltop, I was impressed. He said the right things and had a very compelling personal story with his first wife's death. However, after the Navy debacle of not being prepared for the option when he could have looked at Georgia State film to see that is all the Navy coach knew, and after the 0-12 season, it became clear to many that PB was in over his head and continuously gave his followers Kool-Aid by saying the right things when they where in fact meaningless.

A primary example of the Kool-Aid stuff is when Bennett complained that our OOC was too difficult. Copeland complied and put ASU (and we are not talking Arizona State) on the schedule. We go to Jonestown, er I mean Jonesboro, and lay a big fat egg. THIS SCHOOL WAS HAND PICKED BY BENNET FOR AN EASY WIN.

Please for the sake of Mustang generations to come, stop drinking the KOOL-AID...PB has go to go.

The Navy coach's name is Paul Johnson and he has been up for some of the nation's top coaching awards and won the Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year Award in '04. He won 4 national titles while coaching at Georgia Southern, and that is NOT all that he knows? He knows college football and his history speaks for itself. He has had success nearly everywhere he has coached and SMU would be damn lucky to have him.

I'm becoming more aware of the fact that their board is full of some of the most uneducated college football fans than any other board I read.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I think Orsini is going to get a good catch. After all it is Dallas and CUSA we are talking about. Getting Dougherty was great for the Ponies and I would think Orsini will make a splash with his next football hire.

Bring on FAU!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not Dougherty, isn't that the train wreck in fort worth?

The SMU bball coach they landed was a national name that is escaping me - too much Cerveza at the Hawaii game last night:)

Either way I still think with the facilities, location, tradition and conference affiliation that SMU will be able to get someone decent.

GMG

Not Dougherty, isn't that the train wreck in fort worth?

The SMU bball coach they landed was a national name that is escaping me - too much Cerveza at the Hawaii game last night:)

Either way I still think with the facilities, location, tradition and conference affiliation that SMU will be able to get someone decent.

GMG

Matt Dougherty is SMU's head coach who came from North Carolina before a one year stint with FAU. Neil Dougherty is the train wreck in Ft. Worth who has had success recruiting as far away as Crowley for talented players.

The mental breakdown is fascinating.

We need to quit playing schools with suspect academics.... let's play Grambling. :blink:

It helps highlight part of what I see as the unstable future of CUSA. SMU, Rice, and Tulane wail about having to play academically inferior schools yet are in a conference with 8 schools with academic standards along the same line as the Sun Belt (excluding Denver).

Several years ago those schools plus Tulsa made a run at forming a league with Army and Navy.

Edited by Arkstfan

SMU, Rice, and Tulane wail about having to play academically inferior schools yet are in a conference with 8 schools with academic standards along the same line as the Sun Belt (excluding Denver).

To a SMOO, your academic background is suspect if you don't 'Pony Up' 30k+ a year for an education... To do otherwise means you are doomed to work at Taco Cabana. Like every other aspect of their lives, it's all about appearances and impressing people who don't give a crap about anybody but themselves. But, entitlement breeds weakness.

Some of the best people I have worked with are graduates of state schools who had to work for what they achieved. To quote Gordon Gecko: "Most of these Harvard MBA types don't add up to dogshit. Give me guys that are poor, smart, and hungry. And no feelings."

Here is the list of coaching hopefuls from one brilliant smuT fan. Two coaches on the 2nd tier list caught my eye. :lol:

1st Tier:

Paul Johnson

Chris Peterson

George O'Leary

Terry Bowden

Walt Harris

John L. Smith

Larry Coker

Gary Barnett

2nd Tier:

Paul Pasqualoni (sp??)

Eric Bienemi (SP??)

Steve Sarkisian

Michael Haywood

Mike Singletary

Ken Norton Jr.

Charile Waters

Ramon Flanigan

Darrell Dickey

Dana Dimel

Here is the list of coaching hopefuls from one brilliant smuT fan. Two coaches on the 2nd tier list caught my eye. :lol:

1st Tier:

Paul Johnson

Chris Peterson

George O'Leary

Terry Bowden

Walt Harris

John L. Smith

Larry Coker

Gary Barnett

2nd Tier:

Paul Pasqualoni (sp??)

Eric Bienemi (SP??)

Steve Sarkisian

Michael Haywood

Mike Singletary

Ken Norton Jr.

Charile Waters

Ramon Flanigan

Darrell Dickey

Dana Dimel

Hiring Flannigan would seal their football fate forever. Now I have something to ask Santa for.

their best bet would be Coach P. He got the shaft at Syracuse and look where Greg Davis has taken them. They are an embarassment this year possibly the worst team in the nation.

Notre Dame might have something to say about that.

Gawd, this is just typical SMU bluster. Notice how the poster manages to put down

other schools he believes to be inferior? Referring to "Sam Houston Jr. College", calling

us NTSU, dissing schools he believes don't belong in Division I football, saying that a good

high school program could beat us, etc. What a whiny, p!ssy little baby. Does he need his

diaper changed? And I really don't think SMU has any basis for the belief that they are academically

superior to anyone. My friends who graduated from there will be the first to tell you how easy

all the classes were, how the students just partied all the time. SMU needs to stop comparing

itself to Rice, as they are not even in the same academic universe as Rice.

SMU loses one game to Arkansas State, a game which they felt entitled to win

as superior beings not necessarily their football ability, and now they are suicidal.

And now I must get back to figuring out how to get hold of one of those

shirts the SGA is giving out this week!!!!