Full Story is here.

NBC is getting into the ring with "American Gladiators," which has been revived by the Peacock for midseason.

The competition skein -- which featured players with names like Nitro, Turbo and Laser in its campy, early '90s syndie incarnation -- will be updated for the 21st century with new technology and twists. MGM TV, which was behind the original hit, is producing along with Reveille.

Airing in syndication from 1989-96, "American Gladiators" focused on physically fit amateur athletes who competed against the show's regulars (action stars, stunt professionals and pro athletes) in various physical strength and endurance competitions.

The show hit it big by showcasing David vs. Goliath-style battles in events such as the Joust, the Wall, the Eliminator and Hang Tough. Coincidentally, the original "Gladiators" shot its first several seasons at Universal Studios.

"The timing to bring the franchise back is perfect, and NBC is the ideal home," Packer said. "It's a very big, grandiose type of show."

Sounds interesting to me. I remember watching this show in between cartoons on Saturday mornings growing up.

I have been watching some of the re-runs on ESPN Classic, and you have to admit...the surfer dude interviews with Malibu are absolutely hilarious.

american_gladiator_malibu.jpg

Plus, who could forget The Wall, the Human Cannonball (looked damn fun), the Eliminator, Atlasphere, Breakthrough and Conquer (I once saw a Gladiator get juked so hard he hurt his ankle), etc.

And the Nintendo game had its moments as well.

amgladiat.gif

american_gladiators_cart.jpg

I remember it originally aired after Saturday Night Live. During the first season, they had a contestant that had played fullback briefly for the Patriots. During the "Breakthrough", he didn't even try to juke Gemini, just dropped his shoulder and literally flattened him. I don't think they were expecting that.