New Regime...old Tradition?

meangreen2018

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We really do need our own way to celebrate touchdown.

I enjoyed the tortillas, but I also agree that it's kinds embarrasing that it is a stollen tradition.

I know it has been discussed a billion or so times on the GMG, but I wish we could create something that is uniquely NORTH TEXAS.

Ideas?

Ideas?

You must first decide if you want to:

1.) throw something

2.) yell something

3.) hand jesture something

If you want to throw something, it should meet certain criteria:

1.) be safe

2.) be legal

3.) be allowed into stadiums

4.) easily fly

5.) easily clean up or biodegrade

6.) possibly be re-thrown

7.) green in color would be a bonus

You must first decide if you want to:

1.) throw something

2.) yell something

3.) hand jesture something

If you want to throw something, it should meet certain criteria:

1.) be safe

2.) be legal

3.) be allowed into stadiums

4.) easily fly

5.) easily clean up or biodegrade

6.) possibly be re-thrown

7.) green in color would be a bonus

Well I can't think of anything to throw that meets all the criteria.

I guess we need a combination yell and jesture.

We could all flap our Eagle wings, but then we would look kinda stupid.

We could hold up our talons and make a circling motion with them while saying something prophetic and unique, but who knows.

Maybe we would yell: Do you believe in the Mean Green?

I am encouraging everyone to start throwing tortillas again

heres why

1. Everyone has some sort of tradition that has been altered or copyed by someone else by some point.

2. It helps boost attendance with the students, I sit in the student section and the students are ecstatic about doing something daring like trying to aim for our cheerleaders.

3. No single person or group has been hurt or been threatened by the tortillas in any shape or form.

4. Make the game day experience fun for all. Everyone of us threw a tortilla after a FG, TD, or Interception. It's fun and harmless.

PAINT THEM GREEN AND FLY THEM HIGH

GO MEAN GREEN

I am encouraging everyone to start throwing tortillas again

heres why

1. Everyone has some sort of tradition that has been altered or copyed by someone else by some point.

2. It helps boost attendance with the students, I sit in the student section and the students are ecstatic about doing something daring like trying to aim for our cheerleaders.

3. No single person or group has been hurt or been threatened by the tortillas in any shape or form.

4. Make the game day experience fun for all. Everyone of us threw a tortilla after a FG, TD, or Interception. It's fun and harmless.

PAINT THEM GREEN AND FLY THEM HIGH

GO MEAN GREEN

I don;t care what they say! Let's do it! lol

Here's a good reason not to throw things: if it reaches the field, the home team can be penalized. Tech got warned about that a few years ago. And yes, it's a long throw right now, but it won't be such a long throw in the new stadium. And I guarantee you, the first time North Texas gets hit with a penalty because an idiot threw something on the field, Todd Dodge will put a stop that nonsense.

How do you celebrate a touchdown? Are you kidding? You yell! You holler! You applaud! You know, the "traditional" way to celebrate a touchdown. How difficult is this? Make noise!

The term "new tradition" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing as a "new" tradition. Traditions are built over time - lots of time. Boomer is a tradition. The fight song is a tradition. But if you want to start something that can become a tradition, then how about making Fouts Field and its eventual successor so loud that the opposition needs hearing aids to hear their snap count? So loud that the NT players have no doubt of the passion of their fans? So loud that North Texas becomes known as a tough place to play?

A decade from now, there are only two traditions we need to add - winning and noise.

And you're wrong, Playmaker. No one has been injured, but people have been hit in the face with those damn things and it does hurt. People pick them up off the ground and throw them at each other. Is that what you call watching football? Paying attention to the game? You want to throw tortillas? The tortilla field is over there. We're here for football. FOOTBALL, DAMN IT!

http://www.skygeek.com/gui26.html

Loved these when I was a kid. And it has an Eagle.

Edit.....Just found the same thing at a lower price. http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/gui/gui26.htm

http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=730

1) Biodegradable

2) Soft and you can't throw one hard enough to hurt anyone

3) Would be somewhat visable to TV cameras

4) I don't think anyone else is doing it

5) I believe they are available in green - at least they are considered green

That sounds good too.

Why don't we do something like green poms or green towels to wave. The SEC schools use the poms and I think thats pretty cool, but the towels look even better to me. Like the Steelers or during the NBA playoffs, if we could get everyone the same correct color of green, I think the towels would work. Or is this too close to a&m?

I would recommend the "Cow Bells", but the Sac Kings drive me crazy with those things and not sure I could actually stand to think of the Kings every time I shook that bell. But it does make some noise if that is what we are going for. http://www.hsfootballweb.com/grncow.jpg

Edit....Thought about it, and would like to say "NO" to my own idea. done to death and annoying.

Edited by 0footballfan0

Women expose their boobs after each NT touchdown. Just like a New Orleans Mardi Gras parade. :w00t:

--One minor problem.... convincing the women to do it.....LOL

---It would improve attendence (among males) although the female fans might drop in numbers.

---Well if we have to drop the "tortilla thing", ok BUT we should remember to bring them if we ever play TxTech again... (green ones) and remind them of why we throw them. ( our comeback) I am sure they would appreciate it.

Most traditions are not really scripted but just happen and then continue. I still love the Bevo name.... it resulted after the Aggies branded the steer 13-0 and the UT folks altered the brand to spell BEVO... and continued to use him... Burnt Orange... also an accident... it was once bright orange but the uniforms when washed faded or whatever and turned out to be this strange copper color so they just swallowed their pride and kept the uniforms and the color. The Aggie traditions occured just because the campus was filled with insane classless males for years.....LOL.... SMU... they have extremely high tuition to keep the riff-raff out and have become the ignorant cheating snobs of the world...... I think graduating there has more to do with how much money you might contribute than how smart you are or how much you learn. I met some who were really clueless ...(mean) ..LOL B)

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Here's a good reason not to throw things: if it reaches the field, the home team can be penalized. Tech got warned about that a few years ago. And yes, it's a long throw right now, but it won't be such a long throw in the new stadium. And I guarantee you, the first time North Texas gets hit with a penalty because an idiot threw something on the field, Todd Dodge will put a stop that nonsense.

How do you celebrate a touchdown? Are you kidding? You yell! You holler! You applaud! You know, the "traditional" way to celebrate a touchdown. How difficult is this? Make noise!

The term "new tradition" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing as a "new" tradition. Traditions are built over time - lots of time. Boomer is a tradition. The fight song is a tradition. But if you want to start something that can become a tradition, then how about making Fouts Field and its eventual successor so loud that the opposition needs hearing aids to hear their snap count? So loud that the NT players have no doubt of the passion of their fans? So loud that North Texas becomes known as a tough place to play?

A decade from now, there are only two traditions we need to add - winning and noise.

And you're wrong, Playmaker. No one has been injured, but people have been hit in the face with those damn things and it does hurt. People pick them up off the ground and throw them at each other. Is that what you call watching football? Paying attention to the game? You want to throw tortillas? The tortilla field is over there. We're here for football. FOOTBALL, DAMN IT!

Amen, brutha!!!

When North Texas was member of the Missouri Valley... we were considered the absolute toughest place to play basketball in the "Old SNAKE PIT". The crowd was up close to the action and extremely loud and very vocal. We had a lot of top-10 teams coming in.. Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Bradley, Wichita and some others that were top-10 teams in that era. We were well known for our rambunctious behavior. It was so crazy then that you had to get there very early if you wanted a seat... especially on week-nites..not so much on weekends with so many leaving campus.