Let’s Be Serious

kmb0204

Ok just a run down of the Sun Belt

Do you think any of these teams will when opening day.

Arkansas State over Texas

La-Lafayette over South Carolina

La-Monroe over Tulsa

Fla. Atlantic over MTSU

Fla. International over Penn State

Troy over Arkansas

North Texas over Oklahoma

And Smu over Texas Tech (just for laughs)?

Me:

Arkansas State has a chance

La-Lafayette: no

La-monroe: not with Tulsa new coach

MTSU will win

Penn State

Arkansas I guess

North Texas all the way (see you there)

TTU

To be quite honest, I think SMU has a shot of beating Tech. After week 2 they really put some things together and were playing some good football. If they keep the Red Raider offense in check I think it can go either way.

With much more dire QB situations in 2002 and in 2004, SMU played Tech 24-14 and 27-14. In 2002, SMU scored a TD twice but it was not called.. would've been 24-21 Tech, but still... the games have been close at Ford Stadium. I'd like to think with a settled-QB situation and a solid running game SMU could hold their own. Bennett is coaching with his back to the wall this season, a win over Tech would do wonders for his job stability and the program -- but I still think Tech comes away with the win.

La-Monroe over Tulsa

Fla. Atlantic over MTSU

Troy over Arkansas

Only realistic chances are ULM and FAU.

My picks:

Ut- 48, ASU - 17

S.Carolina - 39, ULL - 10

ULM - 21, Tulsa - 19

FAU - 27, Muts - 17

Penn St. - 49, FIU - 3

Ark. - 33, Troy - 21

Zero-U - 31, NT - 17 :(

Tx Tech - 35, Smut - 14

To be quite honest, I think SMU has a shot of beating Tech. After week 2 they really put some things together and were playing some good football. If they keep the Red Raider offense in check I think it can go either way.

Tech also got better as the year went on (second half of the season specifically), I don't think this will be much of a contest.

I'd say ULM playing a team with a new coach has a pretty good chance.

Edited by Green Crazy

The only team with a legitimate shot at a win is Troy, and it's a long shot at that. They're the best team in the Belt this year and have a history of playing "up" in big OOC games.

The only real shot at an upset in those matchups to me is the Tulsa game, and with Gus running that offense of Tulsa's, their D better get in shape. I am not sure a FAU over MTSU is really an upset in terms of the other games. I could see Troy keeping it close for a half, but that game is in Fayetteville and their defense will have to stop possibly the best backfield in the country, which more than likely won't happen.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

---As much as I hate to say it --- SMU is a long-shot chance.. Tech lost a lot from from last year's team especially receivers and big play makers. Plus the type of offense that Tech plays lends itself it big wins and surprising losses. When it clicks they can blow anyone out.... when it doesn't they can look terrible. Smu looked a bit better after losing to us and they have a lot of players back. I actually think SMU will be a fair team this year, a lot better than what they appeared to be at Fouts last year.

---As much as I hate to say it --- SMU is a long-shot chance.. Tech lost a lot from from last year's team especially receivers and big play makers. Plus the type of offense that Tech plays lends itself it big wins and surprising losses. When it clicks they can blow anyone out.... when it doesn't they can look terrible. Smu looked a bit better after losing to us and they have a lot of players back. I actually think SMU will be a fair team this year, a lot better than what they appeared to be at Fouts last year.

I agree with you on SMU and Tech did lose some talented players, but the most important part of that team is the qb and now that Harrell has a year under his belt they should be fine.

La-Monroe over Tulsa

Fla. Atlantic over MTSU

Troy over Arkansas

Me:

Arkansas State has a chance

La-Lafayette: no

La-monroe: not with Tulsa new coach

MTSU will win

Penn State

Arkansas I guess

North Texas all the way (see you there)

TTU

North Texas could be the next Boise St.

I think Texas has so many off the field problems right now. They might be cought off guard by ASU pass attack. I think at halftime ASU will have the lead or be down by no more than 10 points. But numbers will come into play and Texas will run away with it by the 4th because of subs!

ASU??? Texas will be up by 28 or more at the half, and up by 50+ with the subs in when the final second ticks off the clock.

Last year they didn't have a QB... The year before that the defense was called "soft"... the year before that they were rotating Qb's...

Still, year in, year out, total and complete dominance in their openers. I see nothing in ASU that makes me think this year will be any different.

Edited by Eagle1855

'02 UNT is arguably one of the best teams the Sun Belt has ever seen (well, at least its defense..actually that's a great topic for a new thread/discussion)

UT threw 35 on us in the first half that year. We had a great defense that adjusted and shut them out the rest of the way, but 35-3 is still 35-3.

we've had two tries since then in Austin and it's amounted to 121-7.

Have fun with that. We'll be beating up the Sooners this year. lol

'02 UNT is arguably one of the best teams the Sun Belt has ever seen (well, at least its defense..actually that's a great topic for a new thread/discussion)

UT threw 35 on us in the first half that year. We had a great defense that adjusted and shut them out the rest of the way, but 35-3 is still 35-3.

we've had two tries since then in Austin and it's amounted to 121-7.

Have fun with that. We'll be beating up the Sooners this year. lol

it was 27-0... but either way, your point stands.

UT could run away with it in the 1st with their subs. Not to be overly disrespectful to ASU, but come on UT is on another planet compared to Sunbelt schools.

True. However (though I don't expect to see much evidence of this next year), I do believe the gap is beginning to narrow just a bit.

La-Monroe over Tulsa

Fla. Atlantic over MTSU

Troy over Arkansas

ASU/UT--Mudhole

LaLa/USC--Mudhole

Ulamon/TU--35-14 Tulsa

Flantic/MTSU--MTSU 28-21

Flinter/PSU--Mudhole

Troy/Arky--38-17 Hogs

UNT/OU--Welcome to the NCAA Coach Dodge

SMU/Tech--35-24 TTU