Interesting Stuff From The Denton Exes Gathering

First of all, USA Today was there.........they had a photog taking pictures. So, one can only assume that they are going to have a story on Coach Dodge in one of their upcoming issues. I asked the photog what day it would be in the paper....he wasn't sure.

Secondly, Coach Dodge spoke, and as per usual, was excellent. This guy is such a great motivator. It's no wonder that he has been highly successful, and will be highly successful at NT.

Coach told us, that 100% (yes, 100%) of our football players are in town working out for the upcoming season. I don't know when we've EVER had 100% of our kids in town, over the summer.....prior to two-a-days.

Alums Johnny Quinn and Jason Ball (football) were there, as was b-ball alum Wendell Williams.

There were over 100 people in attendance. Kudos to the officers of the local chapter (like drex) who put on this special event.

Edited by Green Means Go!

Johnny Quinn was there! Did he have anything to say?

Any interesting information about the team or players from

Coach Dodge?

Charlie.........I didn't get the opportunity to talk to Johnny. Every time I wanted to venture over and say something, he was surrounded by people. (I presume that the Bills will be reporting in the next week or so). Wish I had had the chance to wish him well....

As to other things that were said, maybe others who were there can fill in more details.

Here are a few more things that I now remember:

I did hear that we have funded (I think it was 60) summer school scholarships. Basically, what I was told was, that any of our kids who wanted to go to summer school this year, could go.

Also, RV spoke and did an excellent job as well. He pointed out, that in the past, when we went to play teams like Oklahoma....we went up there "just to get a check." But, that under Coach Dodge, we would now view those games as great opportunities.

Man oh man, are the vibes that come out of the athletic department, so much more positive with TD as our coach, as opposed to DD.

Also, Coach Dodge went through kind of what he would tell the team right before a game. It was very interesting.......he went through an entire spiel (sp?). Anyway, you can tell why this guy will be greatness......probably every one in the room, wanted to "suit up" for him, after that speech.

Like I said, maybe others who were there (drex, Dallas Green) can fill in with more details.

I agree, the Exes event was great! Bigger crowd than usual, and that's the goal of the local exes....lot's being planned by the Denton Chapter for this year..

1. A October Mixer...stay tuned for details...looking at a basketball preview event with Johnny J...and a note from one of our strong academic areas

2. A january Mixer...theme to be determined

3. An April Cook-out Mixer at the new UNT Research park

4. The First Annual UNT Exes 5K run...looking at March 8th

5. The Annual Exes Auction in early April.

6. An AFTER-GAME tailgating event at the Exes Center after our first football game on the 22nd of Sept. Let's have some more fun while we let the traffic subside...

Folks, the local group is TRYING! Help them out by joining and PARTICIPATING.....The Sink Navy shirt was also on-sale last evening...several more were purchased...I hear Navy has already asked for about 7000 tickets! We need to fill the stadium with SINK NAVY T-Shirts...more shirts will be for sale at the first football game.

Very nice evening...not only were ex-football and basketball players there...the dance team, cheer squad and Scrappy were all in attendance....AND, yes, you can get there by 6:00PM....we had guests from all ovet the DFW Metroplex! Come join....help the Exes and get in on the action!

Anyone want to serve on a committee to set up the First Annual 5K?

You can get there by 6:00 IF you are retired or in a relaxed working relationship and be on the road not later than 4:30 p.m. Otherwise, you will not make it from Dallas.

You brought back memories of a time years ago when I heard a talk by Matt Simon. With that talk, he rekindled visions of being in the pre-game locker room in me. When he was done, I wanted to get up off my chair and run through the damned brick wall for him!

I look forward to hearing Coach Dodge in the future.

AND, yes, you can get there by 6:00PM....we had guests from all ovet the DFW Metroplex! Come join....help the Exes and get in on the action!

I had every intention of going to this event, I had even mentioned it to drex that I was but unsuspected family from D.C. came to town and I canceled. But leading up the day I spoke with several alumns I know and who I had looked forward to seeing there and when I asked if they were going all of them stated they simply could not get there by 6 p.m. One in particular even went so far as saying that to him it seemed very rude of the Exes to expect people who work in Fort Worth and Dallas to get back to Denton by 6 p.m.

So I'm not sure why the 6 pm and not 7 p.m., but the Denton chapter might want to adjust their times to allow for the commute back up after work.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

One in particular even went so far as saying that to him it seemed very rude of the Exes to expect people who work in Fort Worth and Dallas to get back to Denton by 6 p.m.

So I'm not sure why the 6 pm and not 7 p.m., but the Denton chapter might want to adjust their times to allow for the commute back up after work.

Rick

It's damn rude. They are using organization dues to fund a function that most alumni wouldn't be able to attend because of the inconvenient scheduling.

It seems the benefits of the exes are intended to be enjoyed by a select group. Amazingly, it appears to be the same few that have decision making capacity for the organization.

Edited by ADLER

RUDE???? What in the "sam hill" are you talking about???? In case you forgot, the event was an event by the Denton COUNTY EXES! Friends of mine who work in Carrollton were there on time. I also know of a guest from Rowlett and one who works on Preston Road in Dallas...all made it. I guess you think it's rude to hold an event with no cost, open it up to all (members or not), provide food and beverages (both adult and no-lead") at no cost, hand out door prizes (including tickets to homecomming and the new metal UNT Exes auto logos), arrange for the dance team, cheer squad and Scrappy to attend, arrange for Coach Dodge to speak, etc., etc. All by a group of non-paid volunteers who gave up a great deal of their time and talent to put this "shing-dig" on...man, you have a different sense of rude than I do. If that was rude...give me rude! How much do you think of your annual dues goes to the Denton Chapter??? NOT MUCH! The Denton Chapter raises it's own operating funds and works to get donations for events, etc. That event last evening cost more than the Denton Chapter gets from it's share of dues! But, I wouldn't want facts to get in the way of your complaining...now would I?

It is not a dinner...it's a mixer! Anyway....if you live in Dallas...why don't you work with the Dallas Chapter to set some mixers set up in Dallas at a time you like? Same for Ft. Worth. Don't knock the Denton Chapter because they are doing something!

Sorry that some folks couldn't make it...but if you are a Denton Chapter member and communte to Dallas or Ft. Worth...or elsewhere...as I do, you know the drill, and you know how to arrange schedules for early events you really would like to attend. I have commutted for about 30 years from Denton to either Dallas or Ft. Worth. Yes, I missed a few events....but, not ones I really had to or wanted to attend. You just make "arrangements" as they say...I have been there...done that! The "invitations" went out in plenty of time to arrange schedules. Again, yes, I know some folks have jobs that are not flexible at all. It would be impossible to find a time EVERYONE likes. We have members who would like to see them earlier, on weekends, etc. We have members who would not come if they were earlier, later, on weekends, etc. You just have to "pick your poison" and go with it.

Adler...where are you coming from?...were you there? Did you see the "new faces" of board members that were recognized and introduced? Let me get this straight...every one of you folks "complaining" would have been there if it started at 7:00PM, right? So, crowds of over 200 should be expected if the time just started at 7PM? I know of several Denton residents who indicated they were coming, but did not make it for one rason or another. You think it was the time of the event? Easy to complain....I do enough of it myself...Tougher to get involved and volunteer your time. By the way...Denton Chapter Board members began arriving at 2:00PM (for the 6PM event) to help set-up, deliver beverages, work tables, etc. Would love to have your help...some of the board, I know, had to take personal time from work to help with the event.

By the way...later start times were tried in the past...with little to no success in increasing attendance. This was not the "first rodeo" the Denton Chapter set-up...you do know that, right?

Anyway, all things considered...the night was GREAT! Apologies to those who could not make it...for whatever reason...sometimes even unexpected guests show up, right Firefighter Rick? Wouldn't have matterd what the start time was on that one...things happen. No problem...there is another mixer planned by the Denton Chapter for October....come on down! We would love to have you...by the way...in my last post on the mixer I asked if anyone was interested in volunteering to work on a committee that is setting up the first annual 5K sponsored by the Exes...funny, no one has indicated any interest in helping. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...it is easier to sit on a chat board and write away......I was O.K. with the "time concerns" until the word "rude" entered the discussion....Me, I think it's a bit more rude to complain when you aren't willing to step up and help make it better. That's it for me on this matter...I say "thanks" to the Denton Exes for getting the year started in the right direction with a nice event....didn't cost me a dime and I had several adult beverages, some nice munchies and got to hear a some good words from Rick V. and Coach Dodge...not to mention getting to see Jason ball, Wendall Williams and Johnny Q. I had a great evening...and I made it on time! Sorry for those who could not make it...hope it's on a better day/time for you in October...see you there if it is! All are welcome...just support the GREEN! Come on Dodge Ball...It's WIDE OPEN!

Kram1 has a point.

He may have a point but his compass is pointed in the wrong direction. The majority of North Texas alumni living in Denton County live in the southern cities that border Dallas and Tarrant Counties; The Colony, Lewisville, Highland Village, Trophy Club, Flower Mound. We live there but we office in the Dallas or Fort Worth regions and it is impossible to be in a function in Denton by 6:00.

The Denton chapter is our geographic chapter, but the leaders of the Denton chapter have historically held chapter events at 6:00 on a weeknight.

Is it an oversight? No, this get's "bitched about" every time the chapter does it.

It's not a travesty, but it is rude to intentionally plan events to a schedule that doesn't work for the majority of the exes in Denton County.

It's damn rude. They are using organization dues to fund a function that most alumni wouldn't be able to attend because of the inconvenient scheduling.

It seems the benefits of the exes are intended to be enjoyed by a select group. Amazingly, it appears to be the same few that have decision making capacity for the organization.

Wrinkled $100 meet Mr. Adler.

Rude? Not sure if that is the right word. It takes effort on both sides, organizers and attendees, to make these events happen. It's kind of like 3:00pm kickoffs, just plan ahead.

Wrinkled $100 meet Mr. Adler.

Rude? Not sure if that is the right word. It takes effort on both sides, organizers and attendees, to make these events happen. It's kind of like 3:00pm kickoffs, just plan ahead.

Thanks, but I do want it to be known that I support the Exes in their endeavors. The activities need to be available to a larger percentage of our alumni, and I do believe that it's blatantly inconsiderate to constanty hold events when common knowledge tells you that the majority of the invitees cannot attend.

The Book of Seinfeld chronicles this as an unvite.

It has happened too often and the masses are voting with their pocketbooks.

KRAM 1 has a very valid point. If you are really interested, you support your local chapter and plan and participate in an event like this. I left my office on Preston at 4:30, went by my home in Carrollton and changed, was on the road by 4:50 and in Denton by 5:30. Another 10 to 20 minutes later would have meant making it at seven, but it's all in timing. I knew it was a Denton County function and that chapter has every right to decide the time of the event to accomodate that group not the Dallas or Ft. Worth group.

To all who would whine and complain about the EXES, I would say this --I will have spent nine years on the Board of Directors and/or the executive committee by the time I retire from that service this coming May. During the first six years I committed 4 one-half days on the Denton or Dallas campus for quarterly Board meetings, as well as numerous hours serving on or chairing committees. When I became President elect after six years on the Board, there are three years that follow that call for additional 4 one-half day executive committee meetings in addition to the quarterly Board meetings as well as being present or reviewing reports of all committee meetings. In addition there are always periferal events or functions such as new Board nominations, social functions at the alumni center, meeting with Regents, many meetings with RV to see that the EXES and MGC compliment rather than conflict with each other, work with Development in fund raising, and work with Foundation in funding scholarships. I do not consider myself special nor do I regret one minute of this volunteer service that involved thousands of dollars of my time. You just have to decide if you want to be the chicken who is involved or the pig who is committed. I now "oink" frequently.

On a lighter note the EXES will soon have on board a new full time executive director ( exec. committee spent from 6 to midnight at the Alumni Center on a Monday evening several weeks ago interviewing finalists for the position).Derrick Morgan is one of the most involved, committed individuals I have ever met. He served for several years as the associate executive director of the Texas Tech alumni organiztion and has for the last two years been executive director at San Jose State. We are extremely fortunate that he wanted to return to his Texas roots. He is very pro athletics, and he is just as fired up about our football and basketball programs as we are. Why don't you take the time to greet him at the alumni center (after he arrives on 8/28 at the latest), and ask what you can do to help your local chapter other than just whinning about what it doesn't do for you? Even better sign up for the OU bus trip TODAY on line at www.ntexes.org and enjoy some quality time with other EXES.

As for last night, here is what I recall of Coach Dodge's comments. 1) Kill your opponnet's will by your committment to win 2) Look upon hardships (such as being down in a game) as opportunities for a comeback win 3) Have your teammates back covered at all times and offer encouragement rather than criticising when an error is made ( It's the coaching staff's job to criticize and the team's job to operate as one and back each other at all times) 4) Talk with your actions and not your mouth 5) To get a kicker used to game pressure in practice require him to make a forty yard field goal for practice to end, otherwise it continues with wind sprints, until he can make the field goal 5) if plan A is not working go to plan B, then to plan C--in all the wins at SLC it was very seldom that it took only plan A to win. I really felt as if I was hearing the words of Hayden Fry. We won't always win but we will have a team that plays for four quarters no matter who the opposition is-- all the coach asks of his players is seven seconds of total 100% effort on each play when they are in the game. There is no excuse for being tired or for being on the field too long ( except that you are out of shape)--- you have 25 seconds between plays to rest. Who wouldn't want to play for TD?

Edited by DallasGreen

One thing that they had there last night, which I had never seen before:

Pocket schedules which featured all of the Sun Belt's football games. It's great....one pocket schedule with every team's games, as well as phone numbers where fans could buy tickets for each of the schools.

I had never seen those before.. I would bet that those were provided by Athletics....so they may have more.

KRAM 1 has a very valid point. If you are really interested, you support your local chapter and plan and participate in an event like this. I left my office on Preston at 4:30, went by my home in Carrollton and changed, was on the road by 4:50 and in Denton by 5:30. Another 10 to 20 minutes later would have meant making it at seven, but it's all in timing. I knew it was a Denton County function and that chapter has every right to decide the time of the event to accomodate that group not the Dallas or Ft. Worth group.

I think you just proved Adler and Rick's point. If you get off at 5p, not 4:30p, or 4:50p or whatever, but work an 8a or 9a to 5p job, especially further in, it takes you at least 1.5 hours to go straight to Denton. What part of Preston do you work at? Addison Preston or Highland Park Preston? You can't compare "I live 4 miles from where I work" to "I live 40 miles from where I work." Try making it up 35E from your place to Denton starting at 5:20p and see if the 40-minute travel time is still 40 minutes. I know people who want to make Football 101 and were elated that it was scheduled for 7p, but then found that the AD moved it to 6p. Those that work set shifts can't really decide to leave 30 minutes early and leave a 30 minute gap in the schedule.

That is precisely why I am not a basketball season ticket holder. You will see me at NO weeknight basketball games. I love the sport, I support the team and I support our coach; having said that, I'm a radio fan thanks to the tipoff time. I have tried several times over the years but the stress of trying to get there outweighs the pleasure. I can and do make weekend games but I will be limited to that until I retire and become a "gentleman of leisure".

So, Adler...where do you work and where do you live? Let's see...if it is Southern Denton County...why not start your own Exes Chapter...there is, in fact, susposed to be a southern Denton County Chapter...but, it never seems to get off the ground because no one wants to step up and volunteer their time and talent to get it going. You could do that, and then you could start your meetings at whatever time and on whatever day you wanted. How about that? I KNOW for a fact that the current Denton County board would be more than willing to help you get it going. It would probably take a wee bit of effort on your part, and on others who live in southern Denton County, but the effort would be worth it...if you are really interested. The payoff is worth the effort if you make it so.

I will say again...I mentioned the Denton Board is looking for volunteers to help on a committee to set up a 5K in early March....Still no one has responded with an offer to volunteer. I'll bet they would even set the meetings for 7PM.

Any interest?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Let me say that I think that Adler may have misused the word "rude." I would only consider the action rude if it was intentionally done to shut out a particular person or group by having it at an hour when they could not attend.

Having said that, there are few that have devoted more time and money to the Mean Green Club than Adler. It is unlikely that tailgating would be anywere near as strong as it is were it not for Adler. He has opened his home in Flower Mound for meetings to organize and partially fund the tailgating supported by this board. He has personally donated hundreds of dollars to its success.

Admittedly, the best time to complain is before the meeting. It could have an impact on the starting time for future meetings. But, to register a complaint after the fact is no great sin either; especially if done politely.

If he has the time and money to start a southern Denton County chapter, then you've probably addressed the best possible candidate. If he does not feel that he can do that then he should be given consideration for a starting time that would accomodate him and many others. Remember, not everyone has the luxury of scheduling their departure whenever they wish.

Let me say that I think that Adler may have misused the word "rude." I would only consider the action rude if it was intentionally done to shut out a particular person or group by having it at an hour when they could not attend.

Having said that, there are few that have devoted more time and money to the Mean Green Club than Adler. It is unlikely that tailgating would be anywere near as strong as it is were it not for Adler. He has opened his home in Flower Mound for meetings to organize and partially fund the tailgating supported by this board. He has personally donated hundreds of dollars to its success.

Admittedly, the best time to complain is before the meeting. It could have an impact on the starting time for future meetings. But, to register a complaint after the fact is no great sin either; especially if done politely.

If he has the time and money to start a southern Denton County chapter, then you've probably addressed the best possible candidate. If he does not feel that he can do that then he should be given consideration for a starting time that would accomodate him and many others. Remember, not everyone has the luxury of scheduling their departure whenever they wish.

GEO is correct and I apologize with the "wrinkled $100 remark."