Great Story About Coach Hayden Fry

john-najjar-3.jpg

That's a pretty good find as I had never seen this photo before( probably because I had never given a rats @ss about it since I've been an owner of an ORIGINAL mustang for 27 years). The Mustang I being test driven by Dan Jones in late 1961. The the running horse logo is on the side in front of the drivers door.

I'd almost swear that from the back of the door on through the back of the rear quarter panel that it looks very similar to the corvair?

Good stuff.

Rick

It was a pretty cool little car and ran pretty well for a 4 cylinder but the Mustang 1 wouldn't go on to become a production veihicle. The cost of producing the rear engined, tubed framed version was far too expensive for Ford's target market, and the two seats and removable hard top made it impractical. Still stinging from the recent $75 million Edsel bomb, Chaiman Henry Ford was cautious to endorse any untested entry into the market, especially an exotic, and the Mustang I concept never had a chance.

By early 1963 Ford had completed the Mustang II concept by adopting several of the Mustang I's designs to fit the chassis of the alredy approved Ford Falcon. The only noticible difference between the Mustang II and the eventual production models of 1964.5 was an additional inch added to the wheelbase to increase the leg room for the rear seat passengers. The Pony Car was born and the rest is history (which shouldn't be monkeyed with, even if the fable somehow involves Hayden Fry).

Interesting note about that...Gerald R. Ford (the President) spoke at the 1975 commencement and said "Bill Clements, our Deputy Secretary of Defense as well as the former chairman of SMU's board of governors, informed me that I had been named the first and only honorary member of your sensational Mustang Band. All I can say is, I have always been proud to be a Ford. In the future, I will be even more proud to be a Ford Mustang."

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=5250

Edited by CalallenStang

I do happen to know Green Means Go gives more money to UNT than probably about 20 of most of us on this board combined, so if he wants to use a few F bombs to get his point across, for heaven's sake let him use a few F bombs (albeit not his usual method of communicating).

With all do respect to you PMG, and Green Means Go...

I don't know what giving more money to the program than someone else has to do with a discussion about a SMU and Ford Mustang myth/story/fable/truth/whatever. It also kind of bothers me that you would bring it up, I always thought of you as a gentleman.

Also, Green Means Go, honestly... I don't doubt that you and Fry had a discussion about this, but as to it's truth... I am still skeptical.. If wanting to learn more about history and the truth makes me a F'r, then consider me Ron Jeremy.

Oh well...

EDIT: It also doesn't bother me to be called a F'er... I've been a fan of this program during the Dickey era...

Edited by MeanMag

With all do respect to you PMG, and Green Means Go...

I don't know what giving more money to the program than someone else has to do with a discussion about a SMU and Ford Mustang myth/story/fable/truth/whatever. It also kind of bothers me that you would bring it up, I always thought of you as a gentleman.

Also, Green Means Go, honestly... I don't doubt that you and Fry had a discussion about this, but as to it's truth... I am still skeptical.. If wanting to learn more about history and the truth makes me a F'r, then consider me Ron Jeremy.

Oh well...

EDIT: It also doesn't bother me to be called a F'er... I've been a fan of this program during the Dickey era...

Actually, was only saying that a few might consider giving Green Means Go all due respect to what he was trying to unselfishly share to the members of GMG.com an interesting ancedote from last weekends Letterman Weekend happenings. Personally, I enjoyed reading the story during this time of season when not a helluva' lot is happening (athletically) at UNT.

Come on folks.................He spoke to Hayden Fry, Fry told him what he told him about the Ford Mustang and some who (quite frankly IMO) "were not" very gentleman-like, MeanMag, were doubting the whole thing; in fact, a few were inferring that either Green Means Go and/or Hayden Fry were liars on this most unimportant to UNT's past, present or future SMU/Ford Mustang story. And FWIW..................I myself have most always been a Chevy man. :)

:rolleyes: And yes, I guess we all remember, MeanMag, when we were all called m'f'kers from a past paid UNT staff person. Thankfully, those days are behind us and like Scarlett O'Hara said in front of a burned-up Tara Plantation in the movie Gone With The Wind: Tomorrow is a new day! (or something to that effect). :unsure:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

It does seem a shame that one cannot pass along an anecdote that happened without his or her integrity being challenged. Maybe Hayden is a liar or he just enjoys embellishing a good yarn; I don't know which. And, if I care enough (which I don't) I'll go to the internet and see what I can believe. Even the information given may not be true. We decide for ourselves.

I don't think that some words have a place on the internet because kids can be viewing. However, I surely can't condemn because after four years in the Navy it took me another two to get it out of my (day to day) vocabulary.

So I say let's just shake hands and be friends. OK, I know what you're thinking. With everyone but SMU.

It does seem a shame that one cannot pass along an anecdote that happened without his or her integrity being challenged. Maybe Hayden is a liar or he just enjoys embellishing a good yarn; I don't know which. And, if I care enough (which I don't) I'll go to the internet and see what I can believe. Even the information given may not be true. We decide for ourselves.

I don't think that some words have a place on the internet because kids can be viewing. However, I surely can't condemn because after four years in the Navy it took me another two to get it out of my (day to day) vocabulary.

So I say let's just shake hands and be friends. OK, I know what you're thinking. With everyone but SMU.

:lol:

Jack, we need you to be the official moderator at the Big 8 Political Conference to keep Putin and Bush from a mud wrestling match OR even...............at tonight's Republican presidential debate on CNN! :rolleyes:

Peace to all...(and lest we forget...............we are all on the same side & that's the side of all the teams that wear...

MEAN GREEN)!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It does seem a shame that one cannot pass along an anecdote that happened without his or her integrity being challenged. ...

Sheesh. There was no challenge to his integrity. I've been called worse, but he's out of line with all the F bombs. No one was questioning him personally; they were questioning what Coach Fry told him.

john-najjar-3.jpg

That's a pretty good find as I had never seen this photo before( probably because I had never given a rats @ss about it since I've been an owner of an ORIGINAL mustang for 27 years). The Mustang I being test driven by Dan Jones in late 1961. The the running horse logo is on the side in front of the drivers door.

I'd almost swear that from the back of the door on through the back of the rear quarter panel that it looks very similar to the corvair?

Also notice the huge air scoops on the sides? The mustang has retained smaller versions of those all these years although unlike this first prototype has never again used a rear, midship-mounted engine.

Good stuff.

Rick

I was thinking Corvette till I saw the small logo on the lower part of the door.

Maybe they are all correct? If I were the Ford President at the time and had just seen the SMUt Mustangs hang tough with the Michagan Wolverines I just might had told the coach the same story and sold him one of th early models for $1. Hmmm.....

• Eye Roll 1