Texas State To Study Move To 1-a Football

NT80

Posted originally by SpaceRaider on the SBC board....

http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-fo.../042207aaa.html

If TXSt becomes D-1A they will surpass us in Football. I know they have more of a fan base and more school spirit than UNT. I am not being negative just stating facts. I think they are making all the right decisions and listening to what their students/alumni want and making the correct changes. Something I wish we did more of.

If TXSt becomes D-1A they will surpass us in Football. I know they have more of a fan base and more school spirit than UNT. I am not being negative just stating facts. I think they are making all the right decisions and listening to what their students/alumni want and making the correct changes. Something I wish we did more of.

Don't exactly agree with you. Their football attendance sure doesn't reflect it.

Don't exactly agree with you. Their football attendance sure doesn't reflect it.

they play spare teams... half the students are Texas fans because they play in "real" division. When they were in the playoffs, the students showed up. I believe that if they moved to 1A, they would easily rival us in fan support.

We better get our stuff together in Denton over the next few years, because I honestly agree with DDA... they would challenge us pretty quickly in football. We need to get a baseball team and finish our stadium to clearly set ourselves a part as a program. I hope the couple of years of Dodge ball we get will do just that. I'd hate to see C-USA realign and include TxState (for the Austin/SA market and a team with baseball) and leave us out in the cold again.

I think it would be fun to have them in the 'belt- we've played them more than any other program. Would create a natural rivalry, and Im always down for a river trip.

Edited by Eagle1855

Their stadium only holds 15K. At one time a few years ago, they were the most applied to college behind Texas, and ATM. Here are a few things they are saying about the Sunbelt Conference on their board...and funny, I must agree.

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot

If you go to the CUSA board, there's the annual off season football talk about CUSA expansion in the event of a BSc raid. No one is mentioning NT as an addition. One Texas State Univ-San Marcus fan is really trying to sell TSU-SM to the CUSA board. Like he'll be successful at that.

Man you couldnt be more right

We need to get a baseball team and finish our stadium to clearly set ourselves a part as a program.

They would be prime stuff for CUSA. They have a baseball team and even tho their stadium only holds 15K its very easy to expand, plus it's a pretty nice stadium.

I think it would be fun to have them in the 'belt- we've played them more than any other program. Would create a natural rivalry, and Im always down for a river trip.

Dont care to have them anywhere near us. Most of my friends went there and I dont need to hear from them about whether they beat us or not.

These fans sure had better figure Title IX into their big plans. 1A means more scholarships for football. What about the gals?

Plus, isn't this about the 50th time TSU-San Marcus has conducted this task force study? :blink:

Edited by DeepGreen

Dont care to have them anywhere near us. Most of my friends went there and I dont need to hear from them about whether they beat us or not.

well I'm not sure that would happen. We would have about a decade head start on them if we got the stadium and baseball team by 2010ish. Our facilities are already vastly superior. They play in a high school stadium, though as you stated it could be upgraded. They do have a nice, new facility at the (south?) endzone.

All the numbers they are playing with are nice, but who says that by the time they get to 17 mill we wont have an athletic budget closer to that of U of H or the other C-USA teams?

There are a lot of variables to consider, we just need to keep moving at the pace we are going and not take any steps back. We cant afford to do that anymore. It will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out in the upcoming years.

well I'm not sure that would happen. We would have about a decade head start on them if we got the stadium and baseball team by 2010ish. Our facilities are already vastly superior. They play in a high school stadium, though as you stated it could be upgraded. They do have a nice, new facility at the (south?) endzone.

All the numbers they are playing with are nice, but who says that by the time they get to 17 mill we wont have an athletic budget closer to that of U of H or the other C-USA teams?

There are a lot of variables to consider, we just need to keep moving at the pace we are going and not take any steps back. We cant afford to do that anymore. It will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out in the upcoming years.

I agree. One more thing they mentioned was:

"San Marco sells itself. If we go D1 the kids that are going to UT and A M and sitting on the bench there whole career will come to Texas State."

Which I also agree with. Yes I know they have made attempts to jump up to D1 but it seems now they have a little more backing. There are in their plans preparing to build a $6M baseball/softball complex. So you mention Title IX, is that only a D1 regulation because if not then they already have the sports in place: Basketball/Baseball/Football.

And tho the CUSA makes no mention of expansion, it makes you wonder who they would choose if they did.

San Marcos does setll itself. The San Marcos-Austin area is the fastest growing metropolitan area in the United States, and Texas State as UNiversity is growing. It already has a student enrollment of 22,000 or something and with a D-1 program alumni support will grow. I think they are already Title IX compliant, and if not, they could add a non revenue sport like rowing since there's a nice little river down there.

On another note: Do you think if the Athletic Department sent out press releases for every big donation made, like A&M does on their website (aggieathletics.com), that NT alums would be willing to donate more? I know the athletic department keeps a lot of things under wraps, and maybe a more public approach might excite people a bit more if you know what I'm saying.

I agree. One more thing they mentioned was:

"San Marco sells itself. If we go D1 the kids that are going to UT and A M and sitting on the bench there whole career will come to Texas State."

Which I also agree with. Yes I know they have made attempts to jump up to D1 but it seems now they have a little more backing. There are in their plans preparing to build a $6M baseball/softball complex. So you mention Title IX, is that only a D1 regulation because if not then they already have the sports in place: Basketball/Baseball/Football.

And tho the CUSA makes no mention of expansion, it makes you wonder who they would choose if they did.

On another note: Do you think if the Athletic Department sent out press releases for every big donation made, like A&M does on their website (aggieathletics.com), that NT alums would be willing to donate more? I know the athletic department keeps a lot of things under wraps, and maybe a more public approach might excite people a bit more if you know what I'm saying.

I knew it! We have had stealth recruiting under DD and now Stealth Fundraising. :ph34r:

I would say that San Marcos is a really nice area, and it does sell itself.

BUT... Let's not forget where we came from. It wasn't too long ago that we were a big dog in D2. We were in their position along with Boise St., and many many others. There is no telling that they would pass us by, unless we sat idle and let them, which I don't think is happening.

Other schools to make the jump recently are Troy State, FIU, and FAU.

Troy State came from a very good situation, and has done well, but I wouldn't say passed us by.

Another school that has massive potential is FIU. Enrollment is HUGE, and they have a decent budget.

There is just no telling what will happen, but being so close to the river can't hurt recruiting.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Shooting down the TXST superiority one step at a time.

Texas State ranks fifth, not third, on enrollment acceptance; at least for freshmen. I don't know if there are any figures available on transfers accepted.

Texas is #1, of course. They have a freshman class of nearly 7,500 and they only accept 57% of their applicants. A$M actually has a little larger freshmen class but they accept a surprising 77% of the applicants to Aggieland. Third is, guess what? North Texas. UNT, Texas Tech and Texas State all have freshman classes of a little under 4,000 but Texas State accepts 73% applicants, Texas Tech 70%, and North Texas only 66%. Houston would be #6, accepting 75% for a class of about 3,500.

The source for these figures is collegeboard.com.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I believe that you mean 1-AA, MeanMag. We have never been D2.

We did spend 12 years in Division 1-AA but we have spent 43 years in Major College, Division I, Division 1-A, and now, CBA or some such. Anyway, the bowl classification not the championship group.

Before we reached the highest classification we were simply considered a minor college. There was no Division I, II, and III.

You gotta be kidding! I've been to a few games in San Marcos with a friend who went to SWT (aka TSU), they make North Texas fans look like the second coming of the Razorbacks. I mean, you can hardly find anyone really into the game and most kids on campus could care less or even know who is playing. It fact, most are UT fans.

Maybe if they went 1-A interest would grow, but to say that they have more of a fan base or more school spirit is absurd.

TSU is a good fit for the SBC. They may have their eyes on CUSA but they will spend their time as an independent and realize they will have to follow the natural route to 1A. The WAC or CUSA is going to look for a more competitive addition. When the WAC last expanded, they hurt themselves by lowering their level of competitiveness. W/O Boise, the WAC really has nothing on the SBC.

TSU is a good fit for the SBC. They may have their eyes on CUSA but they will spend their time as an independent and realize they will have to follow the natural route to 1A. The WAC or CUSA is going to look for a more competitive addition. When the WAC last expanded, they hurt themselves by lowering their level of competitiveness. W/O Boise, the WAC really has nothing on the SBC.

Don't forget Hawaii. They would have handed any SBC team their A$$ this year.

I believe that you mean 1-AA, MeanMag. We have never been D2.

We did spend 12 years in Division 1-AA but we have spent 43 years in Major College, Division I, Division 1-A, and now, CBA or some such. Anyway, the bowl classification not the championship group.

Before we reached the highest classification we were simply considered a minor college. There was no Division I, II, and III.

Yea, You're right.. but it doesn't affect my point any.

Their oppinions have come a long way from what it was two years ago when they were in the 1-AA playoffs. Most were trying to convince themselves that making a run into the 1-AA playoffs was much, much better than going 1-A and going to a bowl game. They have dogged us for years since we went to the first N.O. Bowl game. I have tried to convince them otherwise that as a co-SBC partner with NT they could do very well. However, their leadership has been absolutely horrendous with their ability to rally athletic support, set goals and reach them. Someone higher up than Trauth must have finally had it with the mediocrity and kicked someone in the ass for this statement to come about.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

The fun thing about going to a TSU game is the fact that if the game gets dull, there is always the excitement of a train ramblling down the tracks about 50 feet from the stadium. It's first and ten and your team has the ball on the five at the end of the field by the railroad tracks and just as the quarterback gets the ball, here comes the ole Santa Fe Chief roaring by...man, that's college football at its best.

If they were Georgia Southern I think they might have support in the Sun Belt because of that large section of eastern core members. However, with 4 away and 4 home football slate it would be tough, and for Texas State it would be tougher. I don't see this league expanding for the sake of getting the numbers even. Texas State has a decent 1-AA football team, but I'm unimpressed with their other sports that would bring the prestige of the Sun Belt down. We ranked 9th overall in women's hoops and are currently 6th in baseball. Our football has gotten better and with the hiring of new coaches it's hard to say how the league will do. It's been unstable since it started in 2001 going through realignment twice.

When we add a new member, 1-A football is something we expect, but we also want to see strength elsewhere. The San Marcos, Texas school doesn't deliver enough. I don't think Texas State would get enough support for expansion in the Sun Belt even if they did decide to move up to 1-A which is still not a guarantee. Their fans need to realize that a feasibility study does not equate to being in 1-A.