Texas State To Study Move To 1-a Football

NT80

The all-time greatest chant I have ever heard came from the Cameron Crazies at Duke. Maryland and Duke had a series of heated basketball games and Maryland fans became quite vulgar towards the Dukies...especially J.J. Redick. Tensions reached their peak when UM fans wore shirts to their games reading F*CK DUKE. The next time Maryland came to Duke...the Crazies decided to remind all Maryland fans that Duke is concerned with UNC: "Not Our Rival, Not Our Rival!"

I read SMU and TCU bashing all the time on here...and as much as I love UNT...I feel the need to remind everyone that SMU is concerned with TCU, and TCU with SMU.

The point I am making that actually applies to this thread is that Texas St. joining the SBC would actually create a regional rivalry...something UNT is sorely lacking. I am 100% on board with TSU moving up to D1A...it would give the SBC 10 football teams, 12 baseball and 14 basketball (assuming TSU moves up from the Southland in all sports and UNT continues to be sans-baseball).

UNT fans would travel to San Marcos for games...SM is a really cool town and ATX is only 30 minutes away. TSU and UNT would compete for similar recruits which would increase the rivaly, and like most small programs...when TSU is successful...their fans show up...2-3 years ago they had a really fun spread offence that could score at will (hmmm) and made it to the final four of the D-1AA playoffs (another hmmm).

Adding TSU would initially bring down the prestige of the conference...but keep in mind that the SBC in the form we know it is only as old as 2001. TSU's recruiting will improve simply by becoming D-1A, and with other programs in the SBC starting to get recruiting figured out and considered up and coming programs...it is quite feasable that we are on par with the WAC, MAC and CUSA within 5-10 years.

If TXSt becomes D-1A they will surpass us in Football. I know they have more of a fan base and more school spirit than UNT. I am not being negative just stating facts. I think they are making all the right decisions and listening to what their students/alumni want and making the correct changes. Something I wish we did more of.

They didn't surpass us when we were both in the Southland. Your facts are screwed up.

Their stadium only holds 15K. At one time a few years ago, they were the most applied to college behind Texas, and ATM. Here are a few things they are saying about the Sunbelt Conference on their board...and funny, I must agree.

I know I sound like a "defeatist" but I really do want what is best for Texas State. I really don't want to get manhandled in the Sun Belt or wherever just to say "Well we suck, but at least we are I-A." Have you guys ever seen a ULM or ULL game? Hell look at Idaho. They are even worse than ULM and ULL, I don't want to be like that.

In any given year, the best team in the Sun Belt is really no better than the best team in the SLC. Remember that year that Florida Atlantic played us at home and won by 7, they beat every Sun Belt team they played that year...

Exactly, so the Sun Belt is a step sideways that costs more money.

This is the best post...Looks like we aren't the only ones wanting in the CUSA. And they are looking in the right places to increase their budget too.

The Sunbelt would not cost that much more money, but we can do much better. To get into Conf-USA and be competitive we would need about $17 million to start. This is how you get to $17million

Texas States budget is reported to be $10,848,619

The students would have to agree to a small tuition increase per credit hour that totals close to $40 per semester. ~$2.66 per semester credit hour

27,500* ~$40* 2 semesters =~$2.2million + $300,000 from summer school=$2.5 million

The University kicks in another 1 million on top of their 4 million they are kicking in.

The Alumni and Donors have to open up their wallets to the tune of about~$2million.

$10.8mill Existing budget

$2.5mill Tuition Increase

$2mill Alumni and Fans

$1mill Increase in; Ticket Sales, Merchandising, and DI-A/FBS Guarantees

$1mill Increase in Instituitional Support.

$17,348,619

Now we can begin to be competitive at a DI-A level. We have to do some serious Capital Campaigns towards facilities, but the other part of the budget makes sense. We would also need to find a way to add ~$1 million each year. I suggest the Alumni pull their own weight and contributions from Alumni grow by $1million every year.

Denotes TXST would be fairly close in Budget

Denotes TXST would have a larger budget

Conf USA Budgets

Alabama Birmingham $18,701,620

Tulane $17,578,170

Rice $26,359,318

UofH $25,955,498

UTEP $20,575,450

Tulsa $18,169,019

E Carolina University $21,652,796

Marshall $17,946,484

Southern Missippi $19,600,104

WAC

LA Tech $10,075,316

NMST $12,784,996

Boise State $19,253,389

Nevada $23,622,540

San Jose State $17,188,520

Utah State $11,786,082

Idaho $10,894,461

Sun Belt Budgets

N. Texas $15,101,363

L. Monroe $7,220,225

LA Laffeyette $8,033,380

Middle Tennesse$15,267,192

Florida Atlantic $13,463,588

Florida International $15,996,359

Ark. State $10,083,426

Troy State $17,578,170

Where is SMU?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Seriously, the $17 million plus revenue figure is for Tulane. Troy's revenue is only $12,030,129.

SMU's revenue from all sports was $32,659,232. Someone's giving some major bucks to athletics.

One thing that was mentioned that I still don't understand is something like $5 million contemplated by TSU under the category "institutional support". Every major university in Texas gets institutional support except UNT. We got a million or so in the form of a loan from the university, but that's been it as far as I can find.

Sun Belt Budgets

N. Texas $15,101,363

L. Monroe $7,220,225

LA Laffeyette $8,033,380

Middle Tennesse$15,267,192

Florida Atlantic $13,463,588

Florida International $15,996,359

Ark. State $10,083,426

Troy State $17,578,170

That figure for troy seems to be bogus...what I've found in the data base from the office of post-secondary education is that troy's expenses for the last year reported in 12,030,129, five million dollars less than the tx state guy is reporting. The figure reported for MT is correct.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/search.asp