Mean Green Defense Shines In Scrimmage

MeanGreen61

Mean Green defense shines in scrimmage

Offense fails to score

11:40 PM CDT on Monday, April 16, 2007

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

North Texas' defense turned the Mean Green's second scrimmage of spring practice into an example of a good news-bad news scenario Monday.

The good news was UNT's defense looked like it could develop into a special unit with big-play potential. The only problem was its performance came at the expense of the Mean Green's offense, which failed to reach the end zone in a scrimmage that lasted just more than 100 plays at Fouts Field.

The workout was scheduled to take place on Friday, but was pushed back due to inclement weather.

"Defensively I was really pleased," UNT head coach Todd Dodge said. "Our defensive ends and linebackers got their hands on a lot of balls today and that is just being a football player and getting in throwing lanes. Our secondary also broke well on the ball. The strength of our team is the number of returning players who have played a lot on defense."

Dodge was particularly pleased with the Mean Green's defensive front that kept UNT's quarterbacks on the run all day and forced bad throws that resulted in four interceptions. Dodge said after the workout that junior Daniel Meager has continued to be the most consistent of the Mean Green's quarterbacks and is leading in the race for the starting quarterback job.

"Our defense did a good job today of forcing us into long-yardage situations," Meager said. "We just never established anything. In an offense like this you have to stay on schedule. The offense does not work as well when you are in third-and-15 as when you are in second-and-4 or third-and-4 situations."

UNT scored just once on a 45-yard field goal from redshirt freshman Steven Woodward.

Sophomore defensive end Jonathan Stewart intercepted a tipped pass to kill one UNT drive, while fellow sophomore end Eddrick Gilmore seemed to spend most of his time on the field pressuring UNT's quarterbacks.

Gilmore tipped a Meager pass to force an incompletion and help kill another UNT drive.

One of the few offensive players to have a solid day for the Mean Green was senior running back Jamario Thomas. The former national rushing champion carried the ball just five times, but ripped off runs of 20 and 24 yards in the span of three plays.

UNT was unable to build on those runs because of a few key mistakes.

"We had too many unforced errors and put ourselves in too many first-and-15s and second-and-20s," Dodge said. "As far as pitching and catching, we didn't have our best day of being efficient. … Our defense is getting pretty good and they are going to make plays, but when we get the protection, get our feet set and get the ball on people we have to come down with the ball and be accurate with it."

[uNT loses Nurudeen for spring]

UNT has lost cornerback Latif Nurudeen for the remainder of spring practice with a strained pectoral muscle.

The former Baylor walkon joined the Mean Green this spring and quickly worked his way up through UNT's depth chart. He was working with the first-team defense.

Dodge said Nurudeen's injury would not require surgery.

[Rose comfortable at guard]

UNT continued to rotate junior Chad Rose and sophomore Kelvin Drake at guard and center during its second scrimmage of spring practice.

Rose has started the last two years at center, while Drake is one of the most promising young players on a line that lacks depth. Dodge said he is rotating both players to give the Mean Green more depth and ensure it has as many linemen as possible who are comfortable with taking shotgun snaps.

While Dodge has yet to determine where each player will end up next season, Rose said he is open to the possibility of changing positions.

"Coach Dodge wants us to learn different positions," Rose said. "As long as we get the best players on the field, that's all that matters. If that means I am playing guard, I am playing guard. If I am playing center, then I am playing center."

[Former Cowboy at scrimmage]

Former Dallas Cowboys fullback Walt Garrison was among a few dozen fans who attended UNT's scrimmage on Monday.

Garrison was born in Lewisville and now lives in Argyle.

Garrison said UNT wouldn't give him a scholarship, which was one reason he ended up playing for Oklahoma State.

"Todd Dodge is a good coach," Garrison said. "I met him a couple of times when he was at Southlake. Living in the area, you always pull for North Texas. It's just like when the Dallas Cowboys do well, so does Dallas, Fort Worth and the whole area."

Garrison, who works for Bill Utter Ford, attended a reception at the Mean Green Athletic Center after practice.

Briefly …

Dodge said he has been pleased with the play of Evan Fentriss, a sophomore transfer from Rice, who has been one of the Mean Green's most impressive players in practice. Fentriss will sit out the upcoming season as a transfer.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com. Print E-mail this article Forums

Damn, Walt Garrison at a Mean Green practice? One of the toughest suckers to ever wear the Star on the Silver Helmet. Crap I wished I could have been there today.

Dodge is a Rock Star...nearly! His hiring scrolls across national headlines all night, makes papers around the country, he ends up with a meeting in the oval office, season ticket sales boost to the point we have to rearrange the parking lot, brought in transfer's from two previous SWC schools, brings in the highest ranked recruiting class ever, his practices bring in more local HS coaches to learn from him during spring training than I every remembering reading about and now Walt Garrison, and all under 4 months?

Crazy

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Damn, Walt Garrison at a Mean Green practice? One of the toughest suckers to ever wear the Star on the Silver Helmet. Crap I wished I could have been there today.

Dodge is a Rock Star...nearly! His hiring scrolls across national headlines all night, makes papers around the country, he ends up with a meeting in the oval office, season ticket sales boost to the point we have to rearrange the parking lot, brought in transfer's from two previous SWC schools, brings in the highest ranked recruiting class ever, his practices bring in more local HS coaches to learn from him during spring training than I every remembering reading about and now Walt Garrison, and all under 4 months?

Crazy

Rick

I agree in a big way that all of the new attention is great, but why only "a few dozen" at the scrimmage? I have to admit that I'm one of the many that couldn't make it because I'm down in Houston finalizing some tax season stuff, but I would of thought a couple of hundred or more would show. Oh well, hopefully we'll all be there for the next one when the offense is ready to show their stuff!

I agree in a big way that all of the new attention is great, but why only "a few dozen" at the scrimmage? I have to admit that I'm one of the many that couldn't make it because I'm down in Houston finalizing some tax season stuff, but I would of thought a couple of hundred or more would show. Oh well, hopefully we'll all be there for the next one when the offense is ready to show their stuff!

The scrimmage was in the middle of the afternoon on a Monday...most people's first day back to work. As for me, I woulda been there but the wife told me I wasn't allowed to go. :(

I wouldn't worry about the defense being ahead of the offense. It's not unusual when a team goes through a major change for the defense to be WAY ahead for a while. We saw that here in Graham when Brad McCoy brought the spread in to replace the veer. The offense will get it going before the season starts.

"Our defensive ends and line backers got their hands on alot of balls today"

I know there is a joke here somewhere-?

Anyway, the defense really shined today. Since the DE's were in the backfield all day, I

guess our current OT's have more to learn. I know Gilmore will be a great DE so I hope

our OT's are learning from Gilmore/Chatman/Burris/Stewart, because there are going

to be many very good DE's in OOC play and in SBC play!

I see Coach Dodge is moving OL guys around to gain experience and to add depth.

I read that Santiago was moved to OG also. I beleive Peachy will be fine OT, and I

hope Menard is "learning" with on the job training at OT. Who knows for sure, but,

this OL may turn out better than we expect!

Too bad about Nurudeen. I have had a sprained pectoral muscle myself-this injury hurts!

You just got to let the injury heal itself, with normal ice/heat/drugs/rest therapy.

I am encouraged with the defensive play and I beleive they can be pretty salty

this year. I just hope the OL develops, and our QB can get the passes off quickly,

because if our QB is running for his life, well- you know what happens.

I went to the scrimmage yesterday. All the QBs looked decent, but I think the race will come down to Meager and Tune. Defense looked spectacular, number 42 had 2 or 3 INTs.

Saw a couple of L.D. Bell kids on the sideline. They run the same offense as us, and were there to check it out. I think its cool all the high schoolers are showing up

"Our defensive ends and line backers got their hands on alot of balls today"

I know there is a joke here somewhere-?

Anyway, the defense really shined today. Since the DE's were in the backfield all day, I

guess our current OT's have more to learn. I know Gilmore will be a great DE so I hope

our OT's are learning from Gilmore/Chatman/Burris/Stewart, because there are going

to be many very good DE's in OOC play and in SBC play!

I see Coach Dodge is moving OL guys around to gain experience and to add depth.

I read that Santiago was moved to OG also. I beleive Peachy will be fine OT, and I

hope Menard is "learning" with on the job training at OT. Who knows for sure, but,

this OL may turn out better than we expect!

Too bad about Nurudeen. I have had a sprained pectoral muscle myself-this injury hurts!

You just got to let the injury heal itself, with normal ice/heat/drugs/rest therapy.

I am encouraged with the defensive play and I beleive they can be pretty salty

this year. I just hope the OL develops, and our QB can get the passes off quickly,

because if our QB is running for his life, well- you know what happens.

This worries me:

"Dodge was particularly pleased with the Mean Green's defensive front that kept UNT's quarterbacks on the run all day and forced bad throws that resulted in four interceptions."

Not to discredit the size and strength of our defensive line but when we play against the size and strength of schools like OU what is going to happen to our QB and our passing game? Surely it wont get any better.

It's still very early. I don't know if we need to worry about OU. We know they will be bigger and stronger than us, and can expect that to impact the outcome of the game. I know we want it to be respectable, which I believe it will be, however, there will still be early season miscues in that game. Give the O-Line about 3-4 games to figure it out, and they should be pretty salty when it really starts counting in SBC play. In watching Carroll under Coach Dodge, I felt like the 2 main strengths of their teams were their Defense, and the Offensive Line. Their line was undersized a lot of the time, and they got the job done. The players understood the system and simply executed. The Mean Green O-Line will most likely be somewhat rusty to start the year off in Norman, however over time, they will execute very well.

It's still very early. I don't know if we need to worry about OU. We know they will be bigger and stronger than us, and can expect that to impact the outcome of the game. I know we want it to be respectable, which I believe it will be, however, there will still be early season miscues in that game. Give the O-Line about 3-4 games to figure it out, and they should be pretty salty when it really starts counting in SBC play. In watching Carroll under Coach Dodge, I felt like the 2 main strengths of their teams were their Defense, and the Offensive Line. Their line was undersized a lot of the time, and they got the job done. The players understood the system and simply executed. The Mean Green O-Line will most likely be somewhat rusty to start the year off in Norman, however over time, they will execute very well.

The OU (and Arkansas) lines will for sure be bigger and stronger, but that won't be the killer. The killer there will be the sheer team speed mismatch. That, and OU has made it a point to dismantle pass-heavy offenses during Stoops' tenure. Without the threat of a running game, Stoops' OU teams have killed "wide open" pass attacks.

The only teams that might struggle defending the new offense will be our fellow Sun Belt foes. Although, Troy State has had the defensive speed to stick with and sometimes upset foes with bigger and better athletes, so they probably won't struggle with it either.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

That, and OU has made it a point to dismantle pass-heavy offenses during Stoops' tenure. Without the threat of a running game, Stoops' OU teams have killed "wide open" pass attacks.

Hmmm, seems to me that Boise State is a pretty pass-heavy offense.

The OU (and Arkansas) lines will for sure be bigger and stronger, but that won't be the killer. The killer there will be the sheer team speed mismatch. That, and OU has made it a point to dismantle pass-heavy offenses during Stoops' tenure. Without the threat of a running game, Stoops' OU teams have killed "wide open" pass attacks.

The only teams that might struggle defending the new offense will be our fellow Sun Belt foes. Although, Troy State has had the defensive speed to stick with and sometimes upset foes with bigger and better athletes, so they probably won't struggle with it either.

This is true... they haven't ever had much of a problem with Tech's offense or any one like it. They have been torched on the ground, however, in various games.

Hmmm, seems to me that Boise State is a pretty pass-heavy offense.

Boise State only threw 29 times in the game versus OU, including the overtime. Their tailback, Ian Johnson, ran 23 times for 101 yards and the final two point converstion for the winning tally. Maybe you watched a different Boise State game.

Texas Tech with Mike Leach, Louisville with John L. Smith, Missouri - supposedly with Dodge's offense installed - and Chase Daniels at the helm have all been snuffed out by Stoops' defenses. Size had nothing to do with it. Winning consistently at the eilte I-A level takes speed on defense. OU and Arkansas will have it. Troy State will have it to a lesser degree.

Again, it takes a running game to open up a passing game, particularly against teams with speed like OU and Arkansas have. Without a running game threat, we'll simply be throwing a ton of short, incomplete, or intercepted passes and be routed. Basically, it will look like past OU ruotes of Texas Tech, Missouri, and Louisville.

Boise State only threw 29 times in the game versus OU, including the overtime. Their tailback, Ian Johnson, ran 23 times for 101 yards and the final two point converstion for the winning tally. Maybe you watched a different Boise State game.

Texas Tech with Mike Leach, Louisville with John L. Smith, Missouri - supposedly with Dodge's offense installed - and Chase Daniels at the helm have all been snuffed out by Stoops' defenses. Size had nothing to do with it. Winning consistently at the eilte I-A level takes speed on defense. OU and Arkansas will have it. Troy State will have it to a lesser degree.

Again, it takes a running game to open up a passing game, particularly against teams with speed like OU and Arkansas have. Without a running game threat, we'll simply be throwing a ton of short, incomplete, or intercepted passes and be routed. Basically, it will look like past OU ruotes of Texas Tech, Missouri, and Louisville.

Dodge: "People always ask how running backs fit into this offense and I have to remind them that we had 1,700-yard rushers during our state championship runs at Carroll. These running backs are definitely a strength of the offense.”

Dodge: "People always ask how running backs fit into this offense and I have to remind them that we had 1,700-yard rushers during our state championship runs at Carroll. These running backs are definitely a strength of the offense."

Back to his point: it's the speed that is going to give us fits. IMO, what is - and always has been - a mid-major's shortcoming vs. the OU's of this world is depth. For the most part, our first stringers will match up fairly well against them in size/speed, but after that it's all over. Winning consistently and having a coach that can sell a program will bring in the recruits - more of them - to bolster our 2nd/3rd stringers.

I can't even fathom the sheer pandemonium in Mean Green nation if the team pulls out a victory in Norman on Dodge's first try/game. I hope to be a part of that, but I'll take the baby steps too.

Outstanding point Lonnie.

It is a good point, an no, I didn't see the entire game. I actually just saw the last few minutes of regulation and then overtime.

Have you seen the multiple interviews of Dodge in which he states his Team runs over 50% of the time as well? I wonder why Tre Newton had so much running room this past season? Hmmmm, I wonder?

Rick

The thread originally went to OU when someone said their size would be the difference. True enough. But, it's their speed that will be the real killer.

The point being that it doesn't matter what UNT does, until they hit Sun Belt games, they will (with the exception of SMU), be facing teams with such advantage in overall team speed that it won't matter what we do - run or pass. Again, the problem with having the OUs, UTs, and Arkansas' of the world on our schedule is that they have linebackers as big as our tight ends who play sideline to sideline with tailback speed. Size advantage is one things, but the linebacker and secondary speed is a pure killer when we line up versus the big boys.

Also, to the people who continue to mention Tre Newton...it doesn't matter what a player does in high school against a bunch of high school kids, 99% of whom will never play any type of college football. OU and Arkansas and the like are a completely different ball of wax.

Look, I understand completely that RV feels like he has to get fat checks from those schools due to our lack of money and attendance. But, to me, people come out to see winners. Going out on the road to be whipped every year by bigger teams does nothing for us. It never has, and it never will. Sadly, Dodge will be marched down the same path. More home and homes against the Tulsas, Akrons and other Mid-majors, please, and no more guaranteed blowouts at the hands of the BCS schools. It just never has made any sense. Give the players (and fans) a fighting chance to taste winning early in the season.

The thread originally went to OU when someone said their size would be the difference. True enough. But, it's their speed that will be the real killer.

The point being that it doesn't matter what UNT does, until they hit Sun Belt games, they will (with the exception of SMU), be facing teams with such advantage in overall team speed that it won't matter what we do - run or pass. Again, the problem with having the OUs, UTs, and Arkansas' of the world on our schedule is that they have linebackers as big as our tight ends who play sideline to sideline with tailback speed. Size advantage is one things, but the linebacker and secondary speed is a pure killer when we line up versus the big boys.

Also, to the people who continue to mention Tre Newton...it doesn't matter what a player does in high school against a bunch of high school kids, 99% of whom will never play any type of college football. OU and Arkansas and the like are a completely different ball of wax.

Look, I understand completely that RV feels like he has to get fat checks from those schools due to our lack of money and attendance. But, to me, people come out to see winners. Going out on the road to be whipped every year by bigger teams does nothing for us. It never has, and it never will. Sadly, Dodge will be marched down the same path. More home and homes against the Tulsas, Akrons and other Mid-majors, please, and no more guaranteed blowouts at the hands of the BCS schools. It just never has made any sense. Give the players (and fans) a fighting chance to taste winning early in the season.

Great post. You are absolutely correct on the differences in the team speed between the big schools we will play this year and our team speed. We will have one or two players of the quickness they will have in 20+ players of the same speed. Our Defensive line will have to really come to play at Fayetteville when they have to try and stop not just DMac, but Jones as well. Luckilly for Dodge, Nutt's passing offense is HORRIBLE.