Current Wr's On The Roster

Charlie NT 73

I was looking at the 2006 roster at MGS. Here are the 6 WR's listed--1 JR, 3-So's, and 2 Freshmen

1. Brandon Jackson, JR, 6-1, 208lbs

2. Casey Fitzgerald, SO, 5-11, 174lbs

3. Brock Stickler, SO,6-3, 219lbs

4. Isiah Smith, SO, 5-8, 175lbs

5. Arthur Stubblefield, FR, 5-10,179lbs

6. Korey Washington, FR, 5-10, 186lbs.

This is a good group of WR's to start with. I have always liked Jackson and Stickler, so I am

excited to see how they will work into the spread. I also want to see how Special K, Korey

Washington, can work into slot position. Stubblefield will try WR, but, could be a DB. Did not

Casey Fitzgerald made a great TD catch as a "Green Team" member?

Coach Dodge stated a WR must make the top 8 depth chart to play. Now add in the 6 incoming

WR recruits, that makes 12 players at WR. The top 8 play. Who will play in 2007?

Other than Jackson and Fitzgerald this is a complete unknown. Not to any fault of theirs, but they didn't get enough passes thrown to them in the past to really be evaluated. Unfortunately after another full year of playing D1, their known potential is about the same as the the 6 high school WR we have coming. It's a sad thing to point out, but in this case the numbers don't lie...

Fitzgerald - 4 catches

Stickler - 1 catch

Jackson - 17 catches

Stubblefield - 1 catch

Smith and Washington- don't see any catches in final stats

Other than B. Jackson (a little with Fitzgerald), we are going to have to wait and see. In the late words of the great Ron Shanklin, "Potential is short for you haven't done s*&t yet!"

Edited by GMoney

Guest GrayEagleOne

GMoney is right on the money with his assessment of the receiving corps. Brandon Jackson is the only proven receiver on our roster. Fitzgerald had four catches for 83 yards in only five games last year and I believe that he's shown enough that he will be one of the eight that will play. Those are the only two from the current roster that I think will make the grade.

I like Stickler, too, but I'm afraid he's going to have to make a position change to get any playing time. Stubblefield has some potential but he seems to be just a good athleter that doesn't really have a position. Smith has made some circus catches in scrimmages but has yet to play in a regular game. Korey Washington spent last year as a cornerback. I look at offense being his best area but I'm not a coach. He started very slowly but by year's end seemed to be improving at corner.

Personally, I think that all six of the receiver recruits will get considerable playing time next year.

GMoney is right on the money with his assessment of the receiving corps. Brandon Jackson is the only proven receiver on our roster. Fitzgerald had four catches for 83 yards in only five games last year and I believe that he's shown enough that he will be one of the eight that will play. Those are the only two from the current roster that I think will make the grade.

I like Stickler, too, but I'm afraid he's going to have to make a position change to get any playing time. Stubblefield has some potential but he seems to be just a good athleter that doesn't really have a position. Smith has made some circus catches in scrimmages but has yet to play in a regular game. Korey Washington spent last year as a cornerback. I look at offense being his best area but I'm not a coach. He started very slowly but by year's end seemed to be improving at corner.

Personally, I think that all six of the receiver recruits will get considerable playing time next year.

Something to keep in mind is that all 6 mentioned above have Div-1 bodies. Not all of the recruits coming will be able to say that. You can't catch the ball if you get jammed at the line of scrimmage.

The players on the roster have the advantage of having been in a college weight program.

With the play-making receivers we have arriving this summer, I see Coach Dodge doing the same thing here that he did at SLC. I dont know how the spring practices will play out, but we can expect some position changes with our current WR's. My un-educated guess...

1. Brandon Jackson, JR, 6-1, 208lbs - Starter at WR

2. Casey Fitzgerald, SO, 5-11, 174lbs - backup at WR

3. Brock Stickler, SO,6-3, 219lbs - backup WR, but could be moved to LB or safety.

4. Isiah Smith, SO, 5-8, 175lbs - not sure he will be here past this spring. (good kid that never quits, but a victim of the numbers) Practice squad player.

5. Arthur Stubblefield, FR, 5-10,179lbs - DB

6. Korey Washington, FR, 5-10, 186lbs - WR

As this is a "best-guess" topic anyway, why not look at the newbies too? All of the WR's coming in (with exception to Marcus King) have already played in a version of the spread. That is a HUGE advantage and a nice jump on the learning curve. Strangely enough, I think Marcus King will be a play-maker for us this year.

All of this means nothing really until spring ball. It's coming soon and this year should be good...

GMG!!!

Something to keep in mind is that all 6 mentioned above have Div-1 bodies. Not all of the recruits coming will be able to say that. You can't catch the ball if you get jammed at the line of scrimmage.

The players on the roster have the advantage of having been in a college weight program.

Getting away from a press corner is a skilled that is learned. Does size and strenght help - yes. Does is mean that no one can jam you - no. Wouldn't look so much at the college body as I would at quick feet. The best WR I played against on the college level in getting away from the jam was UNT's own - Tony Cook. Tony Cook was 5'8" and a 170 pounds, but I never saw a person get a good jam on him (he eventually taught me some his tricks).

All I'm saying is that a guy with good quick feet is in a much better position to beat the jam than a big strong guy with slow feet. The big strong WR still must take the time to use his strenght, to get leverage, to push you out of your spot and get around you. As a corner, you'll accept that to some degree because it's throwing off the timing of the play. However, if a WR can make a quick jab step and get his shoulders past you (w/o wasting steps or time), then as a DB you might have problems if you lack recovery skills.

Last season, most of the passes went to our WR's- Quinn, Muzzy, and Nwigwe, with a run based

offense. Our TE's, Harmon, Davidson, Collins, and Seidle received some passes also.

Most of the players I listed, did not have much of a chance to play last year, nor did they have

very many passes thrown to them. I see several of these players becoming quality receivers

and adapting to the spread offense quickly, namely Jackson, Stickler, and Collins.

I am sure Coach Dodge and Coach Ford will be evaluating all the current WR's and TE's, to see

which players fit the spread offense, and one back sets. Coach Dodge stated "we have quality,

not quanity, at WR". The listed players are very good players that never had a chance to play.

With the play-making receivers we have arriving this summer, I see Coach Dodge doing the same thing here that he did at SLC. I dont know how the spring practices will play out, but we can expect some position changes with our current WR's. My un-educated guess...

1. Brandon Jackson, JR, 6-1, 208lbs - Starter at WR

2. Casey Fitzgerald, SO, 5-11, 174lbs - backup at WR

3. Brock Stickler, SO,6-3, 219lbs - backup WR, but could be moved to LB or safety.

4. Isiah Smith, SO, 5-8, 175lbs - not sure he will be here past this spring. (good kid that never quits, but a victim of the numbers) Practice squad player.

5. Arthur Stubblefield, FR, 5-10,179lbs - DB

6. Korey Washington, FR, 5-10, 186lbs - WR

As this is a "best-guess" topic anyway, why not look at the newbies too? All of the WR's coming in (with exception to Marcus King) have already played in a version of the spread. That is a HUGE advantage and a nice jump on the learning curve. Strangely enough, I think Marcus King will be a play-maker for us this year.

All of this means nothing really until spring ball. It's coming soon and this year should be good...

GMG!!!

Frankly, I'd like to Stickler at LB. I think that is his natural position.

Had Urlacher played LB prior to signing with the Bears?

He played the Lobo position in the old UNM defense, which was a hybrid Safety/LB position that was practically made for him.

Technically, New Mexico plays a 3-3-5 defense, but one of those defensive back positions is reserved for a rover who is allowed the freedom to make plays all over the field, particularly in run support. (Creatively, the position is called "Lobo" by the New Mexico staff.)

old article

I don't know what he played in HS. But he, Roy Williams at OU, and LT @ TCU were the biggest difference makers I've ever witnessed in a college game. I'd include Michael Vick in there, but I didn't witness him in person like I did the others. Come to think of it, stick Booger in there. He was a game breaker, too.

Edited by greenminer

Yes, he was an All-American at UNM.

As a safety. I know UNM played an odd defensive set, and he was placed near the line of scrimmage, but this is no different from how the Cowboys utilize Roy Williams, and how he is his most effective.

Again, I think it would be intriguing to try Stickler at Safety or OLB in the Taylor Casey mold. He has the athletic ability, just not sure if defense is his thing.

FWIW, one "Johnny Quinn" pointed out to me a guy to watch next year would be Brock Stickler. Since he was spot on about Antoine Bush being the best cover corner, he might have something here.

For those of you with facebook, JQ has Brock listed as one of his recruits, whatever that means.

As I pointed out to Harry a few weeks ago, I could only think of 6 or 7 recievers for spring which isn't enough to even have a scrimmage. But it will offer up a great chance for a walk on to come in and get some reps. More importanly it means that one or more of our incoming freshmen will definately be playing this fall.

Rick

Guest GrayEagleOne

As I pointed out to Harry a few weeks ago, I could only think of 6 or 7 recievers for spring which isn't enough to even have a scrimmage. But it will offer up a great chance for a walk on to come in and get some reps. More importanly it means that one or more of our incoming freshmen will definately be playing this fall.

Rick

I wondered about that very thing too, Rick, and I'm not sure how Coach Dodge will work it. I only count the five listed above plus Neal could be moved to receiver. Either they'll have to find a couple of walkons or design some tight end sets From what I've seen and heard, Brown, Seidle and Gill all can catch the ball pretty well run better than the average tight end. That could give us nine receivers IF all of them show for spring training. I believe that when five receivers are used, the fifth receiver is a running back. Coach Dodge will somehow make it work because what good is a spread offense without receivers?