49th Annual Grammy Awards.

Havent been this excited since my girl Norah Jones took home 8. Damn those Dallas girls, im telling you....

A big thank you goes out to the Dixie Chicks for proving there is still "Freedom of Speech in America"

Also the award for "the biggest idiots in America" goes to ever single country radio DJ and television station that banned the chicks and refused to play their songs. Especially since country music doesnt have that many shining stars.

Not only did the chicks get all of the fame and awards at the end of the night but they also proved that they weren't brainless blonde twits when they said that America shouldn't have gone to war in Iraq in the first place. As of right now, they have won their argument.

For the record, Texas gals dont ever go down in fight, ever.....You made us proud, chicks....keep it up. :)

P.S. Did anyone else want to strangle Carrie Underwood everytime she was shown on T.V., for ruining the Cowboys chances in the postseason.

Edited by UNT_playmaker

It official!!!!

Hell has frozen and the spin was on at the grammy's!!! congrats to John Mayer and John Legend.

Someone push the Chicks back under the rock they slithered out from under.

And get someone to sit on that rock so they can't get out.

I love those girls...but damn, I'm fairly certain Natalie was WASTED.

I've got a thread in the NON-Sports forum with my thoughts as it happened.

:lol: I think that is pretty well the way Natalie acts most of the time, anyway, JD. I have one of their concerts on DVD and she seems to always act as though she's one brick shy (although I really don't think she is it all). She is quite a talent.

IMHO, musicians and politics are like gas and water, they just don't mix well. When I want to hear what any "known" musician, actor or celebrity (who are all of this because we buy their product or buy into their special talents); anyway, when I want to know what each of this group thinks about any war or controversial cause I would probably email them on all that and hope for an emailed answer; of course, that would not give them much publicity--now would it? Amazing how a little fame in our country makes anyone a spokesman for just about any cause.

Since 9-11, many of us don't have any problem with the USA (and our allies) showing their presence among that group over there because they all pretty well hate all of us Americans and lovers of freedom. "IF"...........the USA is not in Iraq now, we would probably be paying about $5.00 per gallon of gas with that rising in price as the days go by. We should know there are many, many reasons we need to be over there and Iran is now one of those reasons. Their "Hitler" only wants to blow Israel off the face of the earth and has said as much.

I tell you what folks, many of that group in the Middle East need someone to let them know without question that terrorism is not acceptable to anyone in our entire world community and if we don't let them know all this--then just who is that will? After all, it could very well be one of their U.S.-based cells that could next be blowing up Fouts Field (no big loss there), but along with our Administration Bldg, the Super Pit, the REC Bldg, the Murchison, TWU landmarks or any insitutions that promote freedom of speech. With those people and their special most unique kind of hate for each and every one of us--never say never.

Many Americans have lost their stomach for fighting anyone even if some of those "anyones" kick them in the arse; and they've lost their stomach with all their extremely short memories of that (still) too recent tragedy at the Word Trade Center. If any of you lose a family member or relative to terrorism in your own backyards, any of you still going to be dove'ish about fighting those who truly want each and everyone of us dead (along with all of our freedoms many Amercans truly had to die for so we could all live the life of Riley)? Unlike many Arabs who still don't believe the Holocaust even took place, such events as Pearl Harbor, Normandy, Midway, the Battle of the Bulge, etc, etc, etc, did actually take place in the name of freedom. I haven't seen or heard of any American (as of yet) try to re-write or revise the history of all those historic events, although they would have their personal freedom to do so if they wanted.

Natalie Wood is one helluva' musician and singer and I (for one) don't boycott buying their music, but someday in the future if some entertainment venue the Dixie Chicks would be playing were bombed by terrorist with thousands killed, I'd bet petite talented musician (and Texans) would (only) have about a 180 degree turnaround with her views and thoughts that her celebrity gives her some extra freedoms to be heard than anyone posting on GMG.com.

FWIW, stands to reason that if we get rid of most the terrorists and most of their cells, doesn't that equate to our freedom-fighters reducing terrorism to a greater extent than if we didn't fight those dastardly cowards who have to sneak around to get their dastardly deeds done? I know with many of that group in the Middle East you will never stop all terrorism or wars and rumors of wars and the Holy Bible (not the Koran) tells us much as to what we can expect from those in that region from the ancient past to our present day); but we can reduce what these gutless cowards do over here in the name of their god and doing all this on our American turf (and that's for darn sure).

And in the spirite of our most sacred American freedom of speech (that has not come cheaply as our WWII, Korean, Viet Nam vets as well as our present day soldiers would tell us all and all of us who live quite comfortably because of their fighting for even that) and in the spirit of our American-made brand of freedom of speech that we all hold dear..................all the aforementioned thoughts are just my .02 worth.

Have A Nice Day! :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Natalie Wood is one helluva' musician and singer and I (for one) don't boycott buying their music, but someday in the future if some entertainment venue the Dixie Chicks would be playing were bombed by terrorist with thousands killed, I'd bet petite talented musician (and Texans) would (only) have about a 180 degree turnaround with her views and thoughts that her celebrity gives her some extra freedoms to be heard than anyone posting on GMG.com.

I'm not going to bite onto the flamebait...but I will correct you. It's Natalie Maines...daughter producer/musician Lloyd Maines.

Good for them. They were speaking their minds when it was an unpopular thing to do, and temporarily paid the price for it.

---As Thomas Jefferson said, "Sometimes the most patriotic thing a person can do is speak up when your government is wrong".

---Not always is the government or even the majority correct in their beliefs. We were told Iraq had WMD and that we in immediate danger plus it was implied that a 9-11 and Al-Queda connection existed. None of that seems to be true. The Chicks could have been a little more tactful in their comments but they had a right to speak out. This is America, and freedom of speech is one thing that makes us great.

---Yes it was in London ( not in an enemy country as that idiot J.Fonda had done ) ... and the British had just been convinced to assist us in the invasion. The Brits also are similiar to us when it come to our basic freedoms, after all, a lot of our governmental system was taken from what they had developed.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Good for them. They were speaking their minds when it was an unpopular thing to do, and temporarily paid the price for it.

I have never heard any former fan of the Dixie Chicks (myself included) ever question whether they had the right to say what they did. What we did question was the gutlessness of saying it in London. (Yeah, that's the issue, they didn't have the gaul to say what they said in Texas, or any other place in the South because they knew the crowd would would have thrown eggs at them for such a stupid and unwarranted comment.

As for the freedom of speech issue, no one stopped the Chicks from speaking their mind that day or any other afterward. Freedom of Speech does not equate to Freedom of the consumer to buy what the hell they want. But the Chicks learned a hard cruel economic lesson. "Piss Off your customers, and you'll Piss Away your Paycheck". Every country music lover has the "Freedom of Choice" to buy their records, and they spoke loudly by dropping the Chick's record sales by more than 50%. And last I heard, less than 10,000 people showed up at the 66,000 seat capactity Texas Stadium to hear one of their concerts, so I'd say they're still paying the price for their actions.

The recent Grammy awards only proves that the Grammy selection committe is tone deaf to record sales, and concert attendance and fan popularity. Grammy Awards or not, the Chicks have politicized themselves right into music industry irrlevance.

Lastly, what a waste of amazing talent.

I have never heard any former fan of the Dixie Chicks (myself included) ever question whether they had the right to say what they did. What we did question was the gutlessness of saying it in London. (Yeah, that's the issue, they didn't have the gaul to say what they said in Texas, or any other place in the South because they knew the crowd would would have thrown eggs at them for such a stupid and unwarranted comment.

As for the freedom of speech issue, no one stopped the Chicks from speaking their mind that day or any other afterward. Freedom of Speech does not equate to Freedom of the consumer to buy what the hell they want. But the Chicks learned a hard cruel economic lesson. "Piss Off your customers, and you'll Piss Away your Paycheck". Every country music lover has the "Freedom of Choice" to buy their records, and they spoke loudly by dropping the Chick's record sales by more than 50%. And last I heard, less than 10,000 people showed up at the 66,000 seat capactity Texas Stadium to hear one of their concerts, so I'd say they're still paying the price for their actions.

The recent Grammy awards only proves that the Grammy selection committe is tone deaf to record sales, and concert attendance and fan popularity. Grammy Awards or not, the Chicks have politicized themselves right into music industry irrlevance.

Lastly, what a waste of amazing talent.

A few bullet points

• This is the first time I've ever heard the "gutlessness of saying it in London" defense. I'm pretty sure the problem was with the small minded conservativness of rural America. I wonder how many of those same folks are going to Wal-Mart today to buy "Taking The Long Way Home". I'm gonna guess and say...alot.
  • The Grammy selection committee is made up of music execs...who do you think they're going to hand awards out to?
  • There is no music on mainstream country radio anymore...at least not since the moron PD's at most country radio stations gave in and stopped playing the Chicks.
  • The Dixie Chicks are so irrelevant...nobody talks about them. At all.
  • Wasted talent? I'm entertained...millions more are as well. These ladies are 3 of the most talented I've ever seen. Ever heard them play acoustic? Absolutely amazing. And Rick Rubin's production genius was perfect for this record.
Edited by JayDub

I didn't even know they had a new album. Down here in Houston, the radio stations actually quite playing their music. I'm not sure if they still are, but I can't remember the last time I heard them on the radio down here.

I was thinking the same thing. Didn't even know they were still recording, and don't care either. I saw the ORIGINAL group in concert after they released "Thank Heavans for Dale Evans" in 1990 before Lloyd's daughter was brought in. I thought they sounded much better and was more impressed because all the members including Laura Lynch(bass) and Robin Lynn Macie(Guitar) actually played quite well together. If you never saw the original quartet you missed a good show.

As for today's standard trio, it's amazing how soon we as a nation forgets.

AftermathReuters11.jpg

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was thinking the same thing. Didn't even know they were still recording, and don't care either. I saw the ORIGINAL group in concert after they released "Thank Heavans for Dale Evans" in 1990 before Lloyd's daughter was brought in. I thought they sounded much better and was more impressed because all the members including Laura Lynch(bass) and Robin Lynn Macie(Guitar) actually played quite well together. If you never saw the original quartet you missed a good show.

AftermathReuters11.jpg

Rick

OK...all due respect...what in the hell did they say that had a damn thing to do with 9/11 or a nation forgetting about 9/11?

She said they were "ashamed that the President of the US is from Texas" on the eve of the Iraq war. I don't see where that has anything to do with 9/11...and don't try to tell me that Saddam was behind 9/11. He was busy cheating on his wife and living the good life.

To be honest, I am a little embarrassed about that, too. Primarily because I voted him in the first time.

Edited by JayDub

A few bullet points
  • This is the first time I've ever heard the "gutlessness of saying it in London" defense. I'm pretty sure the problem was with the small minded conservativness of rural America. I wonder how many of those same folks are going to Wal-Mart today to buy "Taking The Long Way Home". I'm gonna guess and say...alot.
  • The Grammy selection committee is made up of music execs...who do you think they're going to hand awards out to?
  • There is no music on mainstream country radio anymore...at least not since the moron PD's at most country radio stations gave in and stopped playing the Chicks.
  • The Dixie Chicks are so irrelevant...nobody talks about them. At all.
  • Wasted talent? I'm entertained...millions more are as well. These ladies are 3 of the most talented I've ever seen. Ever heard them play acoustic? Absolutely amazing. And Rick Rubin's production genius was perfect for this record.

Musics execs..???.. 11,000 people in the music industry including performers vote on the awards. (that was stated last night with a graphic)

---To say all Hollywood/music people are crazy liberals just is a false statement. Most are just as mainstream as most of us with a few radicals in both directions. Remember Reagan, Schwartzneneger, John Wayne, Charleston Heston, and many others were in the entertainment business for a long time. I would not call them liberals. Some performers distanced themselves from the group so the same did not happen to them (have their music and movies boycotted). The smart thing for performers to do is say nothing.... after all any rant they go on is likely to hit their pocketbook. Some do it in spite of that because don't agree with what is going on.

Musics execs..???.. 11,000 people in the music industry including performers vote on the awards. (that was stated last night with a graphic)

I should have said "The MAJORITY of the votes are from record label people."

Edited by JayDub

AftermathReuters11.jpg

Rick

---Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11. None of those involved were Iraq citizens or had ever lived in Iraq and no terrrorist acts against the US has involved the govenment or people of Iraq. 16 of the 19 were from Saudi Arabia.... perhaps we should invade them (not serious about that)... but we could justify it at least. Saddam was terrible person but he hated Islamic fanatics and terrorist as well (he just shot them), that is why he killed so many, he considered them political enemies but he was so mean he would just kill the entire family or village because he thought they might try to overthrow him as they had done in Iran. He was not a nice guy but had no connection to 9-11 as your picture implies.

Screw them they need to shut their mouth and stick to singing. I'm out.

---Yep... they said basicly the same to Ben Franklin too................. "Go fly a kite". ...............LOL

---He got a big charge out of that one...... LOL

I have listened to this album. It was crap. It sold like crap. Lucky for the Dixe Chix that the Grammys and the media at large liked thier little outburst or they would have faded into obscurity already. Hopefully soon they can get into the Senade O'Conner retirement home for people whose political veiws are less important to me than what color socks I am going to wear tomorrow. Maybe they can be joined by every other actor and musician who thinks that their lifestyle and realative fame give them enough political knowledge to make me care what they think about anything. And I dont just mean you whack job lefties, I am talking to you to Charleton Heston/ The Nuge...

Yea, in London.

Yup, in front of an anti-American (at the time) crowd. Real brave. Way to promote free speech.

Speaking of, have the Chicksie Dicks ever acknowledged that, while it's fine to say it's free speech, ever acknowledged that it's also our right not to buy the crap they're trowling out? To my knowledge, I've only seen Natalie on video tape denying that right. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Sounds like it works when they want it to...

Sorry, touchy subject

I have listened to this album. It was crap. It sold like crap. Lucky for the Dixe Chix that the Grammys and the media at large liked thier little outburst or they would have faded into obscurity already. Hopefully soon they can get into the Senade O'Conner retirement home for people whose political veiws are less important to me than what color socks I am going to wear tomorrow. Maybe they can be joined by every other actor and musician who thinks that their lifestyle and realative fame give them enough political knowledge to make me care what they think about anything. And I dont just mean you whack job lefties, I am talking to you to Charleton Heston/ The Nuge...

I wouldn't say it sold like crap, it did go 5X platinum.

---Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11. None of those involved were Iraq citizens or had ever lived in Iraq and no terrrorist acts against the US has involved the govenment or people of Iraq. 16 of the 19 were from Saudi Arabia.... perhaps we should invade them (not serious about that)... but we could justify it at least. Saddam was terrible person but he hated Islamic fanatics and terrorist as well (he just shot them), that is why he killed so many, he considered them political enemies but he was so mean he would just kill the entire family or village because he thought they might try to overthrow him as they had done in Iran. He was not a nice guy but had no connection to 9-11 as your picture implies.

I beg to differ on whether Al Queda personell lived in and had ties with Iraqi officials:

Why does the Czech Republic have documented evidence that Mohamadd Atta (911 planner) met with the an Iraqi Consul in April of 2003?

Atta

What was Atta doing in Baghdad in the summer of 2003?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../14/wterr14.xml

Oh, and let's not forget the account of the Iraqi generals who said the shell of an airline jet was used for the practice of hijacking airplanes.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/04/07/Worldand...inforces_.shtml

I think the purpose of the picture posted by FFR is that the way we look at the world changed after 911, and we could no longer afford to take the risks that we had taken before that day. We could no longer idly sit by attempting to appease maniac dictatators who verbally threatened to wipe us and Israel off the map. Some of us still take what happened to us on 911 serious, and realize that had we done nothing, it may have happened again.