Men Win 74-70

GreenBat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to bring out the downer, but JJ almost cost us this game the same way he cost the team the USA game. I don't care if we get up by 20 if there is 10 freakin' minutes left keep pounding the ball don't slow down the pace until you get to 5 minutes or less. Other than that great game and great recovery by the guys when they were given a chance to play their game and the crowd kicked ass!

Wasn't able to go to or listen to the game. For those of us who missed it, can someone please fill in how the game went?

We got up by 21 with about 9 minutes left in the game. JJ slowed down the pace and 5 minutes later we were tied. A big part of that though was 7-10 missed free throws (haven't seen the stats yet) over that time period that helped them get back in it. When is JJ going to learn about free throws and slowing down the pace of a game with too much time left...

We got up by 21 with about 9 minutes left in the game. JJ slowed down the pace and 5 minutes later we were tied. A big part of that though was 7-10 missed free throws (haven't seen the stats yet) over that time period that helped them get back in it. When is JJ going to learn about free throws and slowing down the pace of a game with too much time left...

JJ got ocnservative and it almost cost us...I dont mind slowing it down but you gotta start your offense before there are 10 seconds left on the shot clock...we basically stood around until there were about 10 seconds left on the shot clock that is one thing that was making me mad...another thing was after wooden went out they started spreading the court out and drove to the hole one on one EVERY time and we never went to a zone when we couldnt stop them!! but im glad we won and thats what really matters

Edited by mwynn05

What I want to know is why the fans standing up were chanting "over-rated" with 14 minutes left in the 2nd half.. thats way too early! anyways it was a great win for UNT in the end, lets carry this momentum with us

I'd say it was great to win, but I can't say it was a great win by any means. We almost gave the game up ... again.

That was a great assessment of the game. The mean green were playing great team defense until they spread us out. Is Johnnie that set on man to man? I couldn't believe they didn't go to the zone to change things up. Our free throw shooting leaves alot to be desired. Glad to get the win, though. Great crowd like you mentioned. Hope our center's broken nose won't keep him out long? He was effective when he was in there.

Keith Wooden was having a great night. I've never seen him play with so much confidence and emotion. He dunked a shot with authority, pumped up the crowd, and bumped chests with other players... he was really fired up... unfortunately, he got smacked in the nose while shooting (and of course, those sorry refs didn't even call a foul) and broke his nose. I spoke with him briefly, and he said he was "alright." As we were leaving, I heard that he was going to hospital to have his nose reset. I really hope Keith is OK, and hope he is back for our Thursday game.

As bad as our free throws were tonight, ironically, it was Rich Young's two big time clutch free throws with 2 seconds left that sealed the game.

Harold Edwards was really supporting his teammates. He was on his feet slapping the players hands on the bench, all around very vocal with his teammates, and even came out on the floor once in a while to talk with them time outs. I'm glad to see that as I know he must be frustrated with his lack of playing time.

I have noticed that over the last several games Sturns is playing with much greater control, has better shot selection, and is making all around better decisions including reducing the wild 3 pointers. I haven't seen the stats het, but it appears that he played many more minutes tonight, as he should have.

KD hit a clutch 2-point shot tonight with little time left on the clock! KD really thrives under pressure.

Lastly, our defense is 10x improved over earlier this season. In fact, our defense won the game at the end when they challenged and blocked/partially blocked WKU's shot to take the lead.

Edited by chrisfisher

I didn't listen to the game, so I watched Channel 8 news a few minutes ago to get the score. They announced that we LOST 74-70 to WKU. If I hadn't logged on, I would have believed that until I read tomorrow morning's paper.

Channel 5 had the correct score and showed Kendrick Davis' game-winner from the right corner in their college basketball highlights.

I really hope Keith is OK, and hope he is back for our Thursday game.

In the post game conference, Johnny said they expect him to not lose any time on the court, although he may have to wear a protective shield, or a football helmet as Johnny jokingly said.

Edited by MarkCiz

JJ got ocnservative and it almost cost us...I dont mind slowing it down but you gotta start your offense before there are 10 seconds left on the shot clock...we basically stood around until there were about 10 seconds left on the shot clock that is one thing that was making me mad...another thing was after wooden went out they started spreading the court out and drove to the hole one on one EVERY time and we never went to a zone when we couldnt stop them!! but im glad we won and thats what really matters

If the refs called the first half like they did in the second half when they really tightened up the calls, the game would not have been that close b/c we'd have been on the free throw line constantly (even if we only hit 1/2). The refs really let them push our guys around in the first half. I know this didn't change the refs mind, but our section was really letting them have it throughout the first half, and especially after Keith got hit in the face with no foul. Also, I noticed that JJ feeds off of our group booing and yelling after bad/non calls and often goes over and talks with the refs.

Edited by chrisfisher

I hate to bring out the downer, but JJ almost cost us this game the same way he cost the team the USA game. I don't care if we get up by 20 if there is 10 freakin' minutes left keep pounding the ball don't slow down the pace until you get to 5 minutes or less. Other than that great game and great recovery by the guys when they were given a chance to play their game and the crowd kicked ass!

This game almost turned with the loss of Wooten. We were killing them with the high low between Quincy and Wooten. Once Wooten went out, we became an all perimeter team, the movement stopped, and Quincy wasn't really getting free down low. Another big factor when Wooten got hurt was WKU went to a 4 low set and isolated up top and went one on one. Without Wooten, the help defense was a step late and we began to foul. I counted 4 consecutive trips by WKU when they drew a foul (a few 3 point plays). They found a groove, we lost all rythm, and dang near loss the game. Just glad we pulled it out.

This game almost turned with the loss of Wooten. We were killing them with the high low between Quincy and Wooten. Once Wooten went out, we became an all perimeter team, the movement stopped, and Quincy wasn't really getting free down low. Another big factor when Wooten got hurt was WKU went to a 4 low set and isolated up top and went one on one. Without Wooten, the help defense was a step late and we began to foul. I counted 4 consecutive trips by WKU when they drew a foul (a few 3 point plays). They found a groove, we lost all rythm, and dang near loss the game. Just glad we pulled it out.

One big part of that is JJ doesn't trust Howerton in big situations, so instead of staying with 2 big men when Wooden went down he went small. Howerton plays well and with intensity when he is in and JJ should give him a shot to prove himself in the 2nd half of games.

One big part of that is JJ doesn't trust Howerton in big situations, so instead of staying with 2 big men when Wooden went down he went small. Howerton plays well and with intensity when he is in and JJ should give him a shot to prove himself in the 2nd half of games.

Pretty crazy that we'd even consider Howerton in the way you suggest. I have been a harsh critic of Howerton, but I must say that he has come a long way this season, and may well turn out to be a good player over the coming seasons.

As bad as our free throws were tonight, ironically, it was Rich Young's two big time clutch free throws with 2 seconds left that sealed the game.

No! Young hit those 2 plus 2 more at the line just before that and had back to back defensive rebounds that sealed the game. Young was awesome in the last minute.

This turned out to be one of the best evenings the wife and I have had in quite some time. No kids! So I agreed to take her to dinner and a movie if she let me spend a small 2 and a half hours of our night in the Super Pit. The game ended up being way too close and I was truly enjoying the ass kicking until the 10 minute mark. I'll never understand this team but hey a win is a win. We then got out of there in time to go see a late show and then home safe and sound. I so enjoy seeing everyone again and with smiles on their faces. The buz of Coach Dodge and the winning the bb team is putting up has everyone on a high right now.

pitcrew07_250x187.jpg

The Pit Crew, Talons and student section were great tonight. But everyone needs some practice. When this team loses a 20 point lead and it's down to 11 it's not the time for the "OVERRATED" chant to come out again. And when we had the ball and a 1 point lead with 13 seconds to go, it's not time to do the "WHO'S HOUSE" or "Go Start the Bus" chants either. It's just never in the bag until the clock say's "00".

Two highlights of the night.

I finally got to meet the great Buford Julep. Wonderful to meet you sir.

And guess who we run into heading to the door after the game?

adrianawasome07suppit_288x225.jpg

That's number #95 of the New York Giants, Mr. Adrian Awasome up from Houston visiting friends at North Texas. What a great kid and a wonderful person. It made my night to get the chance to visit with him again and tell him how very proud we all are of him. Good luck this spring AA!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick