Colts Vs Bears...who Do You Like, And Why?

Although the Colts are a 7 point favorite as of today I don't see them beating the Bears defense. Plus the fact that they are a dome team, which doesn't usually fair well in Super Bowls.

Rick

down the stretch of the regular season... the bears defense wasnt anything special. i think manning is gonna step up for this game. also, i dont think the dome factor is going to amount to diddly-poo in this superbowl. look for the COLTS DEFENSE to make rex look like a high schooler playing in an NFL game. colts by 10

Colts. Its destiny time for Dungy and Manning. Keep the AFC steak alive!

Quoner pounded this one long and hard and came to this conclusion:

The last few Super Bowls have had real yawners of a first half followed by crazy second halfs. Your halftime score will be something like 10-6. Your final will be 500-497.

The craziest thing will happen. Neither of these defenses will be any good. The Bears have been crapping up 300+ yard defensive outtings since week 10 while the Colts have been lit up by the only competent offensive team they played in the playoffs. More and more, the Super Bowl is a celebration of mediocrity. In fact, this entire sports year has been about taking a crazy favorite, idolizing them, then having them torn down in front on the country (see USC, Ohio State, Mavericks, OU, Detroit Red Wings, UCONN.) Then, we celebrate the random success of once in a lifetime winners (Boise State, George Mason, Texas, Edmonton Oilers - almost, Florida, St. Louis Cardinals, etc.)

On paper the Colts should win, but that's if you don't account for the intangibles of just how gay sports could be. My logical mind says Colts, but after consulting with David Eckstein, Raffi Torres, Vince Young, and Adam Morrison's mustache...

Give me the Bears followed by a candelit dinner and heavy petting with Sexy Rexy Grossman. I want a Super bowl winner that hasn't lost to the Cowboys.

Cut.

That.

Meat.

Guest JohnDenver

I thought the Texans became the Chiefs -- not the Colts.

1963: Shortly after the AFL Championship Game Owner Lamar Hunt decided for the best interest of his team and the future of the league to move to Kansas City. The Texans fared well in Dallas, but had trouble convincing fans that they were on a level with NFL's Cowboys. In Kansas City they had a city with out pro-football, and a new market to spread the new league to.

"In 1952, the old New York Yankees franchise was on the move again and became the Dallas Texans. At the time, a group of owners in the Dallas area were positive they could make Dallas a real hotbed of NFL action. The experiment failed miserably, however. Attendance was so bad, in fact, that the team gave up Dallas as its home midway through the season, playing the rest of its games on the road that year and operating from a base in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

In 1953, the NFL had a team without a home -- the Dallas Texans. The city of Baltimore, meanwhile, was clamoring for another chance at having a professional football team -- so much so that a court case was filed against the league by an attorney named William D. MacMillan in an effort to try and bring a team back to Baltimore."

Da Bears all the way, at least I hope so, I really see this game going either way. Just like the Dallas-Seattle game.

Also...these factors need to be considered/// Turnovers, Colts rising confidence, and the Bears confidence now on offense.

Bears 27

Colts 20

If your factors are turnovers and confidence, how can you bet on Rex "Sex Cannon" Grossman? Not trying to be an ass, but I am curious...bi-curious.

The guy played like a zombie version of Chad Hutchison coached by DD for half of that game. Not many games you go 8-8 in a half and still finish under 50%....

If confidence is your tie-breaker, the Colts have to be feeling a lot better too...they just ended a few years of frustration...

My vote goes to the Colts if nothing more than I really liked what the Pres. and Head Coach had to say when they received their trophy. They seem like really humble men and you dont find that often.

Did you know this:

Jim Irsay (also known as Jimmy Irsay) graduated from Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX in 1982 and is the owner of the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League.

Interesting...

I am picking the Colts in this one. Rex Grossman may be the worst starting QB to take a team to the SB. That is high praise considering that Trent Dilfer accomplished the task. If Peyton's thumb is ready to go, then I don't see the Bears having a chance. Plus, the Colts have been trying to get here for too long to let it slip. The Bears D has been less than stellar lately, and without a weather advantage, they will struggle.

Tell St. Louis about how dome teams don't win Super Bowls, they would like to know about that one.

Colts by 4.

Its been a long time since I have seen a defense that is as fast, strong and mean as the Bears. (and they don't even have Tommy Harris) But I think the 34 points scored by the Pats is very deceiving. First they had a int returned for a TD, and the Colts special teams sucked and gave the Pats short fields all game long. I don't see a repeat of those things, and without them, the Colts defense is good enough to expose Grossman for the "Ridealong QB" he is.

"In 1952, the old New York Yankees franchise was on the move again and became the Dallas Texans. At the time, a group of owners in the Dallas area were positive they could make Dallas a real hotbed of NFL action. The experiment failed miserably, however. Attendance was so bad, in fact, that the team gave up Dallas as its home midway through the season, playing the rest of its games on the road that year and operating from a base in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

In 1953, the NFL had a team without a home -- the Dallas Texans. The city of Baltimore, meanwhile, was clamoring for another chance at having a professional football team -- so much so that a court case was filed against the league by an attorney named William D. MacMillan in an effort to try and bring a team back to Baltimore."

That is correct... they were the first Dallas Texans.

First they had a int returned for a TD, and the Colts special teams sucked and gave the Pats short fields all game long.

If whoever NE found at the bus station can gash their special teams, why not Devon Hester?

I thought the Texans became the Chiefs -- not the Colts.

---There have been two Dallas Texans.... The first one occured during the early 50s and later became the Baltimore Colts. I don't think they were an NFL team when in Dallas but a part of that League group joined the NFL (Cleveland Browns was one of them. 49ers may have been). I can't remember the name of that failed league. ...American something... The second Dallas Texans was an AFL team owned by Lamar Hunt and they did move to KC and became the Chiefs (Abner Haynes was on this team).... Later the AFL merged with the NFL when the entire AFL became the AFC. Cleveland, Baltimore, and Pittsburg was also moved to the AFC to even up the size of the two conferences.

---There have been other pro-football leagues since including the World Football and Extreme Football one, but they financially failed and none of those teams became NFL teams...... but several of their players did go to the NFL individually.

---There have been two Dallas Texans.... The first one occured during the early 50s and later became the Baltimore Colts. I don't think they were an NFL team when in Dallas but a part of that League group joined the NFL (Cleveland Browns was one of them. 49ers may have been). I can't remember the name of that failed league. ...American something... The second Dallas Texans was an AFL team owned by Lamar Hunt and they did move to KC and became the Chiefs (Abner Haynes was on this team).... Later the AFL merged with the NFL when the entire AFL became the AFC. Cleveland, Baltimore, and Pittsburg was also moved to the AFC to even up the size of the two conferences.

---There have been other pro-football leagues since including the World Football and Extreme Football one, but they financially failed and none of those teams became NFL teams...... but several of their players did go to the NFL individually.

Correct.

Before the NFL/AFL merger, Dallas had 2 teams. The Dallas Texans (AFL) later moved to Kansas City to become the Chiefs.

The Colts were originally in Baltimore. Because of new stadium disputes, the Colts organization snuck out in the middle of the night to drive to Indianapolis. Unlike Cleveland, The City of Baltimore was not smart enough to file a law suit to retain the Colts nickname in case they got a new football team.

Colts fans are definately from seperate generations. BALTIMORE Colt fans do not associate themselves with the INDIANAPOLIS Colts. Johnny Unitis did NOT play for the Indianapolis Colts...he played for the Baltimore Colts.

The Dallas Texans played in the National Football League for one season, 1952, with a record of 1–11. Owner Giles Miller had bought the remnants of Ted Collins's Boston Yanks/New York Bulldogs/Yanks franchise, which had played from 1944 to 1948 in Boston, and from 1949 to 1951 in New York, from the league. Home games were scheduled to be played at the Cotton Bowl.

Officially, the Texans are on the books as folding, making them the last NFL team ever to do so. But in reality they were sold by the team's owners back to the league midway through the season. The team wound up playing one of its final two "home" games at the Rubber Bowl in Akron, Ohio, where the franchise's only win occurred — a 27-23 win over the Chicago Bears of George Halas, who was so confident that his team would win, he started his entire second string team — in front of an estimated 3,000 fans on Thanksgiving Day. The victory helped the otherwise failing franchise avoid what would have been the first winless regular season since 1944. Both the Brooklyn Tigers and Card-Pitt — the latter being the merged (for that year) Chicago Cardinals and Pittsburgh Steelers — finished 0-10-0 in 1944, an unenviable feat that would later be surpassed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a team that lost all of its fourteen regular season games in 1976. At the Bears vs. Texans game in 1952, head coach Jim Phelan suggested because of the small turnout — where a high school game earlier outdrew the NFL contest — that instead of being introduced on the field, they should "go into the stands and shake hands with each fan." George Taliaferro, the team's leading rusher was selected to the Pro Bowl at the end of the season.

----The Reason for the crazy one-year Card/Pitt merger was WWII and that both teams had very few players left... They were in the military or doing other defense related jobs. By the Fall of 1945, the WWII had just ended and the two teams attempted to go back to normal operations.

--- As kid during the 50's the NFL was not all that popular, at least in Texas, TV started becoming commonplace during the mid 50's and things began to change... slowly. . (at least in Texas). The closest team to Texas may have been Chicago (the Cardinals and Bears were in Chicago then). I knew no one that watched or listened the NFL regularly but they did watch college football, even though I actually knew one Cardinal player (Gray). When the AFL started and Dallas Cowboys came into existence (1960?) everything changed and it really changed when Dallas played Green Bay for the NFL championship in 1966... Super Bowl I also occured that season, Between Green Bay and the Chiefs or Raiders. No one paid much attention to it, they had to the Dallas/GreenBay game played in Dallas........ the next year... the ICE BOWL...played at -11. in Green Bay.... unbelievable...

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66