New Orleans Bowl Rumor

MeanGreen61

Well lets see, neither. I don't think the "good" team that beat Baylor finished at 3-8.

I see. But I'm not sure I follow why you don't buy his logic? Zeke was making reference about the interest of name teams bringing out the crowd and the fact he mentioned Baylor applies for two different years regardless of the records of the two teams being good or bad. Yes, ther was a good crowd to see a good NT team pummel another bad Baylor team in '02. But, in 2000, we played Baylor for the first game of the year. We were coming off a 2-9 season, Baylor a 1-10 season, and even though it was 106 degrees at kickoff we still managed to draw around 28,000 in attandance for that game as well.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I see. But I'm not sure I follow why you don't buy his logic? Zeke was making reference about the interest of name teams bringing out the crowd and the fact he mentioned Baylor applies for two different years regardless of the records of the two teams being good or bad. Yes, ther was a good crowd to see a good NT team pummel another bad Baylor team in '02. But, in 2000, we played Baylor for the first game of the year. We were coming off a 2-9 season, Baylor a 1-10 season, and even though it was 106 degrees at kickoff we still managed to draw around 28,000 in attandance for that game as well.

Rick

Ah, the debut of Scott Hall... I believe his first drive (3rd qtr, maybe?) he marched us down for a score... those were good times...

I would love to see this happen. Playing a Big Ten school or Big 12 school, would be a lot more fun, than playing the 4th place CUSA team.

But, I don't think it has a chance until the NO Bowl guarantee is increased. Our guarantee this year, was listed at $300,000+ (when we had always thought that the minimum was $750,000).

As for the Indy Bowl, their payout is well over a million (I think a $1.5 million or so).

Anyway, I don't see this happening...until our guarantee is closer to what they've been getting in Shreveport. Not sure, what the Detroit bowl payed (guessing it was $750,000)...

I agree with SUMG follow the $

And the Troy poster that says there was no excitement from OSU fans is simply making that up I was there and I witnessed plenty of excitement, so just ignore that. Plus just look at attendance #'S of Indy bowl and you should be able to figure out this poster is high on recent win or possibly he is smoking pork rinds.

One caveat though, regarding $. The sponsor of the Indy bowl has committed to a contract that is worth more than the Petrosun stock(mkt cap) is worth. So, probably after next year the high payout of the bowl is gonna need a new saviour, but still it is big 12 vs sec so lets settle down a little i mean the troys are acting like they should get an offer from the sec soon because they beat rice(they are still rice)!

GMG

USM outnumbered North Texas State fans three to one in N.O. USM also dominated the game. I love how you guys seem to forget those facts. USM has played better 1AA teams than that UNT team. The N.O. Bowl against the fourth or fifth CUSA team is the best the Sun Belt can hope for right now. Just look at the final rankings of the 119 1A teams and see how many Sun Belt teams are in the 100+ rankings.

USM outnumbered North Texas State fans three to one in N.O. USM also dominated the game. I love how you guys seem to forget those facts. USM has played better 1AA teams than that UNT team. The N.O. Bowl against the fourth or fifth CUSA team is the best the Sun Belt can hope for right now. Just look at the final rankings of the 119 1A teams and see how many Sun Belt teams are in the 100+ rankings.

This attendance claim brought to you by madeupstats.com.

How typical for someone that gets their feelings hurt to call us a name we used 19 years ago.

Damn I don't remember that game drawing 40,000. Yea, the fourth CUSA team is really a powerhouse, have you checked CUSA record against the Belt last year. CUSA is marginally a better conference than the Belt now, but the gap is closing pretty fast. CUSA 1 versus Belt 1 would be a better match. I suppose you think that getting UTEP, SMU, Tulsa and Rice to replace Cincinnati, Louisville, TCU was an upgrade.

Are you sure you're not an OU or LSu fan? You act like it.

The USM fans mostly drove in on the day of the game. They outnumbered us, but not 3 to 1. The bowl was created to bring tourists in during a slow time in NO. They would rather have 10,000 North Texas fans in hotel rooms and restaurants for 2-3 days than have some Southern Mississippi fan run through the drive thru at Popeyes and buy a game ticket. Could you people stop posting rumors like this on the CUSA board.

Lots of people seem to be on the band wagon to dump a non-power conference team while many at the same time complain about the lack of respect giving to lower tier conferences. Actually I think that CUSA has done a good job in supplying opponents. Only Cincinatti was not a regional opponent and they were the CUSA champion that year. Of course, CUSA is weaker than it was and I think the NO bowl should try to get a better guarantee of bowl teams. But a 6th or 7th power league team does not excite me at all.

CUSA Champions do not play in the NO Bowl.....

I was in New Orleans the other day when a guy with a Sugar Bowl polo shirt began chatting me up. He stated he was on the Board for the Sugar bowl and they just arent excited about having the National championship every fourth year and a SEC representative anymore. According to this inside source they are in negotations right now with the Sunbelt to send their champ to the Sugar Bowl because they have been impressed with their attendance lately. I dont know how reliable this is but he also told me how much gas cost per gallon at the station so he seems pretty accurate.

That is pretty funny.... But why post that under a So Miss poster rather then a SMU poster.....

If CUSA ever came available, we would be fools to turn that down.

We wouldn't turn that down. The people on this board aren't the ones who make that call, thank GOD. I assure you one of Rick's goals is to get us into a better conference. Who cares what the SBC record is against C-USA this year? I'd still rather go see NT play Houston, Rice, So Miss, SMU, or Tulsa over Troy, Middle Trailer State or F_U any day, as would the average college football fan and Texas resident.