Helmet Design

Smitty

Just playing with possible helmet designs, using the kelly green and the new diving eagle logo:

I think the eagle needs to be as big as possible, but the beak and claws have to be uncovered as much as possible by the facemask. So I just cut off the tips of the wings:

helmet-35eagle.pnghelmet-55eagle.png

FFR suggested a Michigan Wolverines style helmet, which gave me the idea to increase the size of the eagle and completely cutting off the head, just using the body and wings flowing back. This is in the style of the Philadelphia Eagles, Michigan, Minnesota Vikings, and St. Louis Rams, with head appendages of their mascots flowing back around the helmet. But it still uses the new UNT logo. I think its different enough to not be a copy of someone else. Here is this style with the eagle in two different sizes:

helmet-65eagle.pnghelmet-85eagle.png

What do you think?

Edited by Smitty

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm speechless. Excellent work. And thank you!

Either of the top two, or the one on the bottom left work for me. Another idea is to have some form of NT as the main focus, the eagle head superimposed in the background, above the lettering.

Edited by DeepGreen

There are some that think black face masks are "gangsta" or something like that. To me, I think black face masks are sharp looking (too much white is boring).

I agree with you. I think the facemask should usually be in contrast to what else you have. I like the black against the white and green. Gives it more dimension and makes it more interesting.

Black facemask looks tons better. My first thought when I saw the 2 bottom "oversized" ones was an absolute NO! On further review, however, that look could really really work. It does have that "Michigan" look but it certainly is a look that would be all our own. The bottom right one is my favorite. My only concern would be how it would look from the front and from the back.

Seriously though, you have some talent. You and AustinTalon need to have a draw-off.

Black facemask looks tons better. My first thought when I saw the 2 bottom "oversized" ones was an absolute NO! On further review, however, that look could really really work. It does have that "Michigan" look but it certainly is a look that would be all our own. The bottom right one is my favorite. My only concern would be how it would look from the front and from the back.

Seriously though, you have some talent. You and AustinTalon need to have a draw-off.

Thanks very much for the complement. It's very much appreciated.

I know what you mean about the Michigan style. After FFR suggested Michigan, and I was curious. Here's a slight variation. There's more green showing, and I just removed the top wing all together. From the front you would see green with white wings coming out from the temples and connecting in the back.

helmet-70eagle.png

helmet-85eagle.png

More thoughts because I like to think about this stuff. This one is my favorite. I know we use stickers for our helmet logos. I am assuming that others schools (such as Michigan) do not have huge yellow stickers on a blue helmet. I imagine they are just painted that way. The feather over the ear hole could be problematic. I love this look though.

I wonder if that costs more? I would think so.

This look satisfies many aspects of our ongoing debates.

1. We are the Mean Green - Check this helmet on quick glance looks just like a cool design of green and white.

2. Those that refuse to accept we are the Mean Green and want to hold on to the eagle. Check - Enlarged eagle on the side

3. Those that don't want any more logos other than the new branding. Check - New logo utilized well.

Edit: The new one Smitty put up with more green and the top wing clipped off looks good to, and would probably be easier to get on a helmet. A bit too Philly though.

Edited by Zeke

Just playing with possible helmet designs, using the kelly green and the new diving eagle logo:

I think the eagle needs to be as big as possible, but the beak and claws have to be uncovered as much as possible by the facemask. So I just cut off the tips of the wings:

helmet-35eagle.pnghelmet-55eagle.png

FFR suggested a Michigan Wolverines style helmet, which gave me the idea to increase the size of the eagle and completely cutting off the head, just using the body and wings flowing back. This is in the style of the Philadelphia Eagles, Michigan, Minnesota Vikings, and St. Louis Rams, with head appendages of their mascots flowing back around the helmet. But it still uses the new UNT logo. I think its different enough to not be a copy of someone else. Here is this style with the eagle in two different sizes:

helmet-65eagle.pnghelmet-85eagle.png

What do you think?

AWESOME...THANKS!!! I like both helmets on the right...from the top and bottom. I hope we do change our helmets, and to something new and exciting like these designs.

I like the Big eagle. The one of the "Michigan" Style looks good for a white or a Green helmet. The black trim is a nice touch. I would say that the big eagle should stay on a green helmet. Have you thought about a green helmet with a light gray or silver logo????