A thought occurred to me

emmitt01

Perhaps winning isn't our greatest need right now. Perhaps it's excitement, plain and simple. Think about it, what if we were to have a Texas Tech type buzz but also have Texas Tech type results. I think our program, given that it is an afterthought even in the metroplex, would be better served by putting up 40 points a game and ending the season 6-6 than it would putting up 17 to 21 points a game and being 8-4. Texas Tech stands NO CHANCE against Oklahoma, Texas and the like because they can't play defense to save their lives. But they sell tickets to watch the air show. Maybe we just need a buzz to be generated right now after 9 years of snore inducing football.

What do you think?

Edited by emmitt01

Perhaps winning isn't our greatest need right now.  Perhaps it's excitement, plain and simple.  Think about it, what if we were to have a Texas Tech type buzz but also have Texas Tech type results.  I think our program, given that it is an afterthought even in the metroplex, would be better served by putting up 40 points and game and ending the season 6-6 than it would putting up 17 to 21 points a game and being 8-4.  Texas Tech stands NO CHANCE against Oklahoma, Texas and the like because they can't play defense to save their lives.  But they sell tickets to watch the air show.  Maybe we just need a buzz to be generated right now after 9 years of snore inducing football. 

What do you think?

Strongly Agree.

Would you rather see a shoot out where the 1st team to 60 points , or a 7 OT game where the 1st team to 25 wins ? First and foremost we need butts in the seats!

Edited by NT03

Thats the problem with the spread offense. Its entertaining as all heck and it will get us from 2-3 wins to 6-8 wins. But you will lose a couple of games simply because you can't run the ball (and clock) when you need to, or inside the red zone. Especially if you are like Tech and refuse to close up the 3 ft. splits on the O-line when the situation calls for it!

But for right now....sure, throw it around and put some BIS (Butts in Seats!)

different results at different levels.... it buried NMSU in the first couple of years.. it's going to take some time to get the players in here to run it.

Also, Tech beats A&M every year seemingly and has a win over Oklahoma last year and a near-miss vs. Texas this year.. with nowhere NEAR the athletes. I'd say it works pretty damn well. I consider it the modern day wishbone -- the "gimmicky" offense that's hard as hell to defend, REALLY unbalanced, requires specific preparation/personnel changes to defend, and most of all, like the bone, is considered a big "equalizer" for teams that don't necessarily have the pure physical talent to match up.

--I live in West Texas and people out here seem to like the crazy Tech Offense (win or lose) . It reminds me a lot of the the old Oiler "Run and Shoot" by Warren Moon under Pardee (from TAMU and native of Christoval near San Angelo).

You CAN run the ball in the spread...Texas Tech isn't the only variation of the spread.

You can be a very effective running team out of the spread.

Also, who says you can't have a solid defense if you have a high powered offense?

--Absolutely..... I would love to see a Slocum defense and a Leach offensive.. Tech does give up a lot of yards and points but.... you have to remember their offense scores so quickly that the defense spends a lot of time on the field..... and second..... a passing team plays longer games (time-wise)..... the clock stops every time there is an incompletion and lots of those passes result in the receiver going out of bounds which stops the clock between plays.

---That partially explains why Tech's games last so long and there are so many plays and high scores by both teams. Some of Tech's games last 4 hours.

Plain an simple, the offense works.

Sure Tech doesn't beat Texas, Oklahoma, and TAMU consistently, but Tech has never been able to recruit on the same level as those programs.

Idiots said years ago that the Run & Shoot was just a gimmick because the top ranked Miami Hurricanes handled the Houston Cougars in a nationally televised game. What they didn't take into account was the incredible talent that Miami had amassed could outperform even the best of offensive schemes. Houston, although good, never recruited at the level of Miami. A high percentage of those Miami players wound up in the NFL.

Like Houston before it, Tech has benefitted from a highly productive pass intensive offense. The strategy has lifted Tech to a level that never would have been atainable with a conventional offense.

Thats the problem with the spread offense.  Its entertaining as all heck and it will get us from 2-3 wins to 6-8 wins.  But you will lose a couple of games simply because you can't run the ball (and clock) when you need to, or inside the red zone.  Especially if you are like Tech and refuse to close up the 3 ft. splits on the O-line when the situation calls for it!

But for right now....sure,  throw it around and put some BIS (Butts in Seats!)

The Spread Option implements a running attack and is what Oklahoma utilizes. They won the National Championship and have gone to two more National Title games with it. Hardly gimmicky, IMO.

Boise St. runs the spread option as well.

Texas Tech & Hawaii run a pure Spread(Run N' Shoot) offense.

You need a fast QB(which NT has), a fast RB with hands, & a deep WR corp. I don't know how well Jmo can catch and really can't assess our WR corp based on the pathetic offense we've run for almost a decade. I can assure you, recruiting WR's wouldn't be too hard if a passing O was implemented.

Edited by Got5onIt

Personally I would just like to see a balanced offense that is efficient running and passing very similar to a pro-style offense. I would be just as entertained with an offense that puts up 30-40 points a game, is balanced and able to respond with adjustments that counteract the defense they are facing and does not rely on either the run or pass to heavily.

I also want a good defense. I enjoyed watching our defense during the Booger/Spencer/Hurd/Casey/Buckles/Jones/Awasom/McIver/etc... years because they abused people.

In a 1 bowl conference winning is what matters.  Tech has to rely on excitement because they are not going to bring home the championship.

The problem with Tech winning the Big 12 has NEVER been about their offensive capabilities. Leach has never been able to draw enough talent to Luboock for the Defensive side of the ball. That's what separates Tech from OU & UT.