DRC Mattress Mac may end funding for NT

OldTimer

'Mattress Mac' may end funding of UNT

McIngvale not happy with timing of Dickey's firing

11:49 PM CST on Thursday, November 9, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Jim McIngvale, a Houston businessman who donated $1 million toward the construction of the Mean Green Athletic Center in 2004, said Thursday that he is considering ending his financial support of the North Texas athletic department after head coach Darrell Dickey was fired this week.

"I thought the timing of it was callous," said McIngvale, a former UNT linebacker. "They needed to consider his whole body of work. UNT hadn't been to a bowl game in a long time before Darrell showed up. People complain about Darrell's non-conference record, but they sent him to play Texas and Oklahoma every year."

Dickey led UNT to a Sun Belt Conference title and an appearance in the New Orleans Bowl in each season from 2001-04 before falling on hard times the last two years. UNT went 2-9 last season and is 2-7 this year.

Dickey's career record at UNT is 41-62.

McIngvale said he made his contribution toward the athletic center largely because of his friendship with Dickey.

UNT's practice field is set to be named after McIngvale, who said he will ask for it to be named after Dickey instead.

"Darrell Dickey built that practice facility," McIngvale said.

McIngvale said the schedule Dickey played throughout his tenure with the Mean Green should be taken into account when evaluating his tenure.

"It's hard to go hunting elephants with a B.B. gun every season," said McIngvale, who pointed to UNT's lack of resources as a reason for the Mean Green's struggles in non-conference play.

McIngvale also praised Dickey for the way he handled the aftermath of the death of quarterback Andrew Smith in a car accident in the days leading up to the 2004 season. McIngvale paid for the entire UNT team to fly to Smith's funeral in Bay City.

"I thought coach Dickey's leadership throughout the whole situation with Andrew Smith was outstanding," McIngvale said. "His performance in that situation and his championing of the University of North Texas and the whole Denton area should have been taken into account."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

It's a shame to lose Mattress Mac, but this comment about Dickey makes me wonder how well he followed the program.

"His performance in that situation and his championing of the University of North Texas and the whole Denton area should have been taken into account."

When did Dickey champion UNT? I didn't see any of the outreach we've seen here in Florida by Ron Zook and then Urban Meyer. The political aspect of coaching -- getting the community invested in the program and firing up fans -- were never a part of Dickey's tenure. It was always Dickey and his team against the world.

People complain about Darrell's non-conference record, but they sent him to play Texas and Oklahoma every year."

I think the losses to South Florida (when it was a very new program), Florida Atlantic, Air Force, etc were the ones that were more telling and of more concern.

"It's hard to go hunting elephants with a B.B. gun every season," said McIngvale, who pointed to UNT's lack of resources as a reason for the Mean Green's struggles in non-conference play.

So he's going to take MORE resources from us? You just lost your moral high ground Mr. McIngvale.

"His performance in that situation and his championing of the University of North Texas and the whole Denton area should have been taken into account."

ohmy.gif And, in what Universe did that take place?

I wonder what color the sky is in Jim McIngvale's world. dry.gif

again, Mattress Mac should stick to selling furniture instead of holding the teams he "supports" hostage by threatening to withdraw donations if they dont make the decisions he percieves to be in the best interest of the team (as well as himself). He did it with the Texans this past year, and now he's doing it with North Texas.

Having a lot of money and an interest in sports doesnt necessarily make you an expert on anything. He can do whatever he wants with his money, but I think its pretty lousy (and myopic) to pull support because your buddy (whether it's VY or DD) didnt get what you thought he deserved. For him to think he knows what is best for an organization over someone like RV or Kubiak who has to deal with this stuff day in and day out is absurd.

I appreciate the initial $1mil donation, and I hope this is nothing more than emotion over the firing of a friend.

Edited by Eagle1855

What happend with the Texans?

He was all bent out of shape that they werent going to take Vince Young so he was calling the radio stations here every week expressing his disgust, running full page ads in the paper supporting VY, and threatening on the radio (as well implying it in print) to pull sponsorship money if they didnt take him.

from the Houston Chronicle:

"My point of view on Vince is real simple," said the man known as "Mattress Mack." "I saw what he did against USC, and for me, it's kind of like the gospel at church last Sunday. When Thomas stuck his hand on Jesus' side, he believed. Well, I believe in Vince."

McIngvale speaks as both a fan and a corporate sponsor. Asked if the Texans' choosing Bush will impact his future business relationship with the team, he replied: "It darn sure ain't going to help it. I'm a marketing guy. I think Vince would be over the top for them. I don't want to go through another year like last year when I basically threw my money away.

"I'm obligated for a couple more years, and I'm big on fulfilling my commitment. But ongoing I've got to take a look at it because regardless of the football implications, (drafting Young) would at least double the value of my sponsorship overnight."

"mack" on vince

Edited by Eagle1855

It is funny to me, when a coach is released, how often the complaint comes up that "the timing" was bad. I've heard that over and over: "the timing was bad."

From the people who make this complaint, I've never heard much about when the timing would have been better. No, for the people who say this, "the timing" is always bad.

BTW, the timing of Dickey's removal was just about as good as it could get. Once the decision was reached, there was no reason to sit on it until the end of the season. Now, at least, the big question mark is removed, Dickey can say good-bye to his team, and the AD can openly look for a coach right now.

He was all bent out of shape that they werent going to take Vince Young so he was calling the radio stations here every week expressing his disgust, running full page ads in the paper supporting VY, and threatening on the radio (as well implying it in print) to pull sponsorship money if they didnt take him.

from the Houston Chronicle:

"mack" on vince

If he's such a great "marketing guy"...how can he not see what kind of a marketing nightmare that Dickey created here at NT over the past few years. Bashing the University, alums, and fans as well as putting a completly boring product on the field is a hard thing to overcome when you're trying to market the football program.

Anyone think it's a coincidence that most of the marketing done by the AD revolved around the Tailgating/Gameday atmosphere as opposed to the actual product on the field? Sorry, but gameday atmosphere outside the stadium didn't have anything to do with DD...but surely a "marketing guy" knows this already.

MM made it clear while he was donating that he was donating because DD was head coach. If we fired DD this season, next season, or the season after MM would have cut his ties to UNT. He didn't donate before DD got here and I don't see him donating after. He supports UH and aTm more than he has ever supported UNT. The only reason he ever donated to UNT was his long time friendship with Dickey. This comes as no suprise to me.

Am I thankful for what he has done for the program with donations? Yes. Do I have respect for MM for donating? Yes. Will he continue to donate? No.

He is clearly upset about how his buddy DD was fired..........But we all want to have a nice new stadium and nice stuff so we can eventually go on to bigger and better things and MM has helped us with his big donation for the AC and then people come on here and rip MM for him standing up for his friend. I dont get it ?

This is a shocking article. But I don't think there would have EVER been an "appropriate" time for Mr. Mac. RV works in the best interest of the athletic program and you know what - Mr. Mac could say anything he wants. Who knows if he was going to donate another red cent. Does it matter if the stands are empty??? Because that's exactly where things were going with DD at the helm next year. I have to say I'm more than a little pissed at Mr. Mattress's arrogant comments.

MR MATTRESS YOU DO NOT OWN NORTH TEXAS ATHLETICS!!!! KEEP YOUR FILTHY MONEY WITH RIDICULOUS STRINGS ATTACHED.

Edited by Stan R

'Mattress Mac' may end funding of UNT

"I thought the timing of it was callous," said McIngvale, a former UNT linebacker. "They needed to consider his whole body of work. UNT hadn't been to a bowl game in a long time before Darrell showed up. People complain about Darrell's non-conference record, but they sent him to play Texas and Oklahoma every year."

I thought it was callous and classless to require DD to wear a hat with your company logo on it on the sidelines during a nationally televised game. MM is all about getting his name out there and I understand that, but there are better ways to do this.

Do I hate to see his money go away? Sure, but if he really cared about North Texas he would have been donating money years ago. Donating only because of DD justs confirms that MM's committment is not to North Texas but to Dickey.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Well my friends RV just ended more funding for NT. Your nickel and dime donations really don't  add up like the million Mac gave. I was told Mac was to donate even more money in the future. Guess you mean green boarders will raise that kind of money! NOT!

There are possibly four or five people that either know, or have a reasonable certainty, of the financial impact that the loss of Jim McIngvale's support would have on the football program. Other than Glad to be Green, I don't know of any on this board that could know that. I'm sure that RV looked at the entire impact on the entire program before making his decision. It may have come down to losing a million dollars from one person or a million dollars from five thousand.

Anyway, I trust RV's decision. He did what he thought was best for North Texas after evaluating the pros and cons and I applaud him for that. I also applaud his timing in doing it now. That move may have saved the recruiting season for the new coach.

Trooper, if you believe that an entire program should be dictated by a sizable donation, then you have a future in politics.

Well my friends RV just ended more funding for NT. Your nickel and dime donations really don't  add up like the million Mac gave. I was told Mac was to donate even more money in the future. Guess you mean green boarders will raise that kind of money! NOT!

And you think by keeping a coach who was under .500 for 9 years with inept coaching schemes is going to keep the money rolling in?

I don't understand why someone wouldn't agree with RV's decision. Essentially we're taking a risk here, if it pays off we're back bowling. If it doesn't, we haven't lost anything. DD's last two years here were horrible and he wasn't going to turn the situation around anytime soon.

RV just ended the blackmailing of the program and I praise him for it. Never should a coach be kept on because some aloof donor threatens to pull back. His paltry $1 million hardly made a dent on the needs of the program, and his jaded view of how it should be run hurt more than it helped! Good riddence! mad.gif