Thoughts and Prayers for Coach Dickey

Harry

I am receiving unconfirmed reports that Coach Dickey suffered a heart attack Thursday night and is now back at home. Please send out your thoughts and prayers to Coach Dickey his wife Tory and the rest of the family. I will post more information as soon as I can.

Harry

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am receiving unconfirmed reports that Coach Dickey suffered a heart attack Thursday night and is now back at home.  Please send out your thoughts and prayers to Coach Dickey his wife Tori and the rest of the family.  I will post more information as soon as I can. 

Harry

Hang in there coach! The thoughts and prayers of the Mean Grean Nation are with you. Our posts may sometimes be negative, but you are family. Get well soon!!

Might this be the time for Dickey to gracefully bow out? I know the release says he will serve in a limited capacity but, if the speculation of his being gone at season's end is true, would it not be easier to move on and cite medical and family obligations?

I, like all of us, am concerned for Darrell the man first and foremost. I just wonder about the short and long term future of our program.

Emmitt all due respect but we just found out that our Head Coach had a heart attack. I am relieved to hear that he is recovering at home but I don't see this as a time to start debating the future of our program.

I think this is the time to wish Coach Dickey and his family a speedy recovery.

Emmitt all due respect but we just found out that our Head Coach had a heart attack. I am relieved to hear that he is recovering at home but I don't see this as a time to start debating the future of our program. 

Perhaps the tenor of my post didn't come across correctly. Obviously Dickey's health is the foremost concern.

My sentiments exactly!!!!

Might this be the time for Dickey to gracefully bow out?  I know the release says he will serve in a limited capacity but, if the speculation of his being gone at season's end is true, would it not be easier to move on and cite medical and family obligations? 

I, like all of us, am concerned for Darrell the man first and foremost.  I just wonder about the short and long term future of our program.

Emmitt, I did not take it bad. I know what you mean.

Hope DD gets well soon.

From the DRC online:

Dickey suffers heart attack

UNT head coach resting at home after surgery

09:36 PM CDT on Sunday, October 15, 2006

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

North Texas head football coach Darrell Dickey was resting comfortably at home Sunday after suffering a heart attack late Thursday night.

Dickey, 44, was taken by ambulance to Denton Presbyterian Hospital and had surgery before being released on Saturday. He addressed the team Sunday night, but was not available for comment.

“I feel very fortunate to have such great support within my family and friends when a situation like this happens,” Dickey said in a prepared statement. “This could have been a dire situation if not for my wife Tory and the tremendous response of the paramedics. The care that I received from the doctors and staff at Denton Presbyterian Hospital was outstanding and I owe a tremendous dept of gratitude to them.”

Assistant head coach Kenny Evans will take over for Dickey in the interim. UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said there is no timetable for Dickey’s return.

UNT had a bye Saturday and went through its last practice on Thursday before taking the weekend off.

Dickey, who is in his ninth season at UNT, has had a series of health problems since the end of last season.

Dickey was taken to the hospital on Jan. 29 after falling ill at the end of an official visit weekend for UNT recruits. Doctors removed Dickey’s gallbladder a few days later.

Dickey was then diagnosed with diabetes. He lost more than 30 pounds during the off-season after changing his lifestyle to include a better diet and more exercise.

“Coach Dickey has had more than his share of struggles,” Villarreal said. “In his other situation, he followed doctors’ orders. He will do what is necessary to come back.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

I would like to add my sincere thanks for the many good times that came from watching the Mean Green win 4 straight Conference titles and appear in 4 straight Bowl games. We've obviously got a few on this board that believe those accomplishments meant nothing and that this program has hit rock-bottom. I'm very confident that as this season plays out, they will be proven fools, just as they were in 2001. And 2002. And so on. May God contunue to give you the strength to persevere this new challenge.