bad coaching or bad players?

Will to Win

In the words of DD in the post game interview, "Rick Stockstill(sp?) has done a great job in the short period of time he's been there.  MTSU has always had good players".

Any questions? dry.gif

I am so sick of this type of answer, we must have had better players since we beat them 5 years ago, or maybe DD sees himself in the previous MUTS coach.

I've been thinking on this a while, and a lot of you will probably agree. I think Dickey was a decent coach with the situation he came into, with very little support from anywhere. He was able to use that to bunker his kids down and use that mentality to his advantage. I think he (probably RV too) were thinking they'd have a lot more support by now than they do. Even though we're night/day different from where we were, we're not where we SHOULD be.

I think Dickey doesn't see the upside anymore, only the negative. I think he's constantly thinking about everything he DOESN"T have, rather than taking advantage of what he DOES. He can't sell us to recruits as well as he used to because he doesn't FEEL it anymore. Rather than thinking about how much progress we have made he thinks of the progress we haven't made.

I see where he's coming from. I'm tired of taking the same fight to my friends every year about why they should come out and support the team when we don't seem to be GOING anywhere. I can only imagine the frustration he must feel.

That being said,

I think it might be time for a change. We need new energy. We need someone to come in who see's all of the upside and doesn't focus on the negative. We need new energy, not just for the football team, but also to inspire the FAN base. You can't hope to keep a struggling fan base interested when we're getting our a$$es handed to us from a team no one gives 2 $hits about. We're past that point as fans. It's time to start thinking we're a top tier school.

See everyone at Homecoming. I'm still hopeful we'll have decent attendance for the rest of the year.

Edited by Mad Hatter

I'm going to have to back Dickey on this one. Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage and both O and D lines looked like they had no intensity at all. Pass blocking is stuff you learn in Junior High and High School. If these guys decide they don't feel like playing one night, I don't think you can blame the coach. And to reflect, the only way we beat SMU was because Woody was running for his life. Even Woody can't dodge 4 defenders at a time. Somebody needs to take the boys by the facemask and get their intensity up. BIG TIME.

I'm going to have to back Dickey on this one. Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage and both O and D lines looked like they had no intensity at all. Pass blocking is stuff you learn in Junior High and High School. If these guys decide they don't feel like playing one night, I don't think you can blame the coach. And to reflect, the only way we beat SMU was because Woody was running for  his life. Even Woody can't dodge 4 defenders at a time. Somebody needs to take the boys by the facemask and get their intensity up. BIG TIME.

Coaching is the failure here. Good coaching can overcome talent.........with respect to talent level of the opponent.

We are talking MTSU here, not Texas, Ohio St, etc.

I refuse to believe the talent gap has that much disparity.

ph34r.gif

Edited by Got5onIt