NT traitor!

DeepGreen

How we are always viewed. From the hornfans.com board:

"I was on the team at UNT back in the early 90's. I was only there for a year and a half because I didnt like the school. I was a kicker, and also left because Toby Gowin(now with the Falcons I believe) had the job cemented when I got there.

It's really tough to be an athlete up there. It's a music and arts school, and that is the main attraction. Although it has a rather large enrollment, most students commute, so it doesn't feel like you're at college. There is no real advantage for the coaches to sell to new recruits either. The athletic facilities were adequate, but not spectacular. They only have at the most 20,000 people show up for games. You can walk around campus with your football sweats on and other students would give you mean looks. It's just not a college that will ever be behind it's program, and the recruits see that when they come visit. They dont even attempt to try and get 4 or 5 star guys. Not being an apologist, just the way it is.

With all that being said, I will be there at the game in my burnt orange. I grew up a hornfan and always will be. Actually, there is a longhorn connection with me going to UNT. Brett Stafford is a friend of my family, and he put in a call to Todd Dodge, who was the special teams coach at UNT. Well, he was the year before I went, and then he went somewhere else. See y'all at the game. Hook em"

Board link - http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/...sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Edited by DeepGreen

It is sobering how 'down' this board has become. I do not blame the members, it's just a reflection of the frustration of the 'statue quo' that has settled in at UNT athletics. I remember when playing the 'Horns got people excited. Even in the I-AA days we expected to put up a fight. I do not sense that this year.

In my pseudo-humble opinion, his thoughts, feelings, and opinions are worthless. He didn't like the school or even want to be here except for his one connection, so all he's going to see are the bad things and whatever good there is will be put in a bad light. And if he was dead-set on punting, he should have gone where he could make a run at the position, not where it's locked up.

The university has grown by leaps and bounds over the last decade since this guy was here. New buildings are going up left and right, and the athletics program continues to grow. While school spirit may have been in the basement when he was here, it's floors above that now.

Seriously, if you're going to pop off, make sure what you "know" is the same as what is currently going on and isn't horribly outdated.

In my pseudo-humble opinion, his thoughts, feelings, and opinions are worthless.  He didn't like the school or even want to be here except for his one connection, so all he's going to see are the bad things and whatever good there is will be put in a bad light.  And if he was dead-set on punting, he should have gone where he could make a run at the position, not where it's locked up.

The university has grown by leaps and bounds over the last decade since this guy was here.  New buildings are going up left and right, and the athletics program continues to grow.  While school spirit may have been in the basement when he was here, it's floors above that now.

Seriously, if you're going to pop off, make sure what you "know" is the same as what is currently going on and isn't horribly outdated.

Agreed! That might have been true during the early 90's but things are way different than they are now. I remember going to a day game back in the mid 90's and hardly anybody was there. It might have been no more than 3K that day, it was really sad. Now forward 10 years or so and things are much better.

eh, it is what it is. we actually used to play texas pretty well until the last 2 go rounds, and unfortunately, that probably wont change much this year.

I am laughing at the guy that couldnt go to Texas to play ball, so he ends up at NT and now proudly proclaims "hook em"... its like the losers that cant get into the business/law school that have to go elsewhere and still root for Texas instead of UH or SMU.

I did think this quote was pretty funny:

I say we go Aztec on them, and offer them up to Godzillatron, the vortex of all things Longhorn needs 100 points and carnage!

I am laughing at the guy that couldnt go to Texas to play ball, so he ends up at NT and now proudly proclaims "hook em"... its like the losers that cant get into the business/law school that have to go elsewhere and still root for Texas instead of UH or SMU.

In addition to not being able to play at UT he also couldn't play at UNT, therefore he left (Toby Goin took care of that). We still have a long way to go to bounce back from the 20 plus years of 1AA ball. It will take time and effort. With that being said, what UNT was in the earlier 90's isn't even close to what we have now. It's obvious that he left and hasn't been back in some time.

Edited by GMoney

It is sobering how 'down' this board has become.  I do not blame the members, it's just a reflection of the frustration of the 'statue quo' that has settled in at UNT athletics.  I remember when playing the 'Horns got people excited.  Even in the I-AA days we expected to put up a fight.  I do not sense that this year.

And we are losing fans and tickets because of the perceived "status quo". In the past we would have never sent 1500 tickets back to a UT game, we'd ask for more! Pitiful what has happened, and the fan base is waiting to see which way it falls, up or out?

In addition to not being able to play at UT he also couldn't play at UNT, therefore he left (Toby Goin took care of that).  We still have a long way to go to bounce back from the 20 plus years of 1AA ball.  It will take time and effort.  With that being said, what UNT was in the earlier 90's isn't even close to what we have now.  It's obvious that he left and hasn't been back in some time.

Maybe it felt like 20 years to some people, but it was only 12. And lest you forget, we had more noticable OCC wins as a 1-AA school than we've had since "returning" to D-1.

Maybe it felt like 20 years to some people, but it was only 12. And lest you forget, we had more noticable OCC wins as a 1-AA school than we've had since "returning" to D-1.

You're correct. I should have said and really meant to directed my comments towards a certain administrator's tenure of 20 years which showed little if no direction and/or support for athletics. That will definitely take time to overcome.

SE, you know me and definitely know that I am aware of how the team competed against 1A opponents during that time.

We really sent 1500 tickets back? I couldnt find how to buy any through UNT so I bought mine through UT. Anyone any where near section 9?

On topic, UNT has a great campus and I dont see it as a commuter school at all. Denton isnt exactly that close to Fort Worth or Dallas, with gas prices the way they are its better off getting student housing. I dont know anything about the early 90's all i know is 1998 onward and all I can say is that I've been to a lot of Universities and none of them have the same on campus feel and as nice a looking campus as UNT. Anyways, im sure im a better kicker than he ever was tongue.gif im sort of kidding but i can kick a 50 yd. field goal on a good day.

Lets burn the wheels off of their bandwagon!

Go Mean Green!

We really sent 1500 tickets back? I couldnt find how to buy any through UNT so I bought mine through UT. Anyone any where near section 9?

Subject: UNT Returns 1,500 tickets To UT

North Texas returned 1,500 tickets from its allotment in the northwest corner of the stadum — seats that are now available for $50 each.

They’re available online at TexasBoxOffice.com or by phone at 471-3333 or 800-982-BEVO.

sad.gif

Gee that dude's a loser. Couldn't get an invite anywhere but a 1-AA program, then leaves because he had a zero chance to start so he leaves disgruntled. You got to stay and attend school and get involved to make your mark and make the best of your college experience. Had he made the team and played or got involved in school in another way or simply got laid and fell in love with one of our hotties he wouldn't have made any of those comments. School was probably a little too tough for him. Every school has people like this, even tU, who can't find a way to fit in or make the grade and leave pissed off to only talk bad about that school down the road. For every one of these idiots I know 20 who had the exact opposite experience and a completely different view of NT in general.

Rick

Gee that dude's a loser.  Couldn't get an invite anywhere but a 1-AA program, then leaves because he had a zero chance to start so he leaves disgruntled... Had he made the team and played or got involved in school in another way or simply got laid and fell in love with one of our hotties he wouldn't have made any of those comments.  School was probably a little too tough for him.

Rick

LOL, that made me laugh a little bit. Probably because it is true.

I also agree that these days campus is looking really lively. There are so may new apartment complexes just off campus to the east and west that it is rediculous. I don't know if these students are considered to live "off campus" but they are definitely close enough to count as "on campus" and contributing to the "college atmosphere" is my opinion.

Now, if only there was a fun place to hang out and do things close to campus...Oh yeah, the rec is always busy... There is a football, basketball, and soon to be baseball stadium within walking distance... And they are rejuvinating Fry Street as a classier hang out spot.

How we are always viewed.  From the hornfans.com board:

"I was on the team at UNT back in the early 90's. I was only there for a year and a half because I didnt like the school. I was a kicker, and also left because Toby Gowin(now with the Falcons I believe) had the job cemented when I got there.

It's really tough to be an athlete up there. It's a music and arts school, and that is the main attraction. Although it has a rather large enrollment, most students commute, so it doesn't feel like you're at college. There is no real advantage for the coaches to sell to new recruits either. The athletic facilities were adequate, but not spectacular. They only have at the most 20,000 people show up for games. You can walk around campus with your football sweats on and other students would give you mean looks. It's just not a college that will ever be behind it's program, and the recruits see that when they come visit. They dont even attempt to try and get 4 or 5 star guys. Not being an apologist, just the way it is.

With all that being said, I will be there at the game in my burnt orange. I grew up a hornfan and always will be. Actually, there is a longhorn connection with me going to UNT. Brett Stafford is a friend of my family, and he put in a call to Todd Dodge, who was the special teams coach at UNT. Well, he was the year before I went, and then he went somewhere else. See y'all at the game. Hook em"

Board link - http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/...sb=5&o=0&fpart=

REVISED (with corrected spelling) unsure.gif

How convenient that he chose one of our state's 2 flagship school's message boards to show his arse as to what kind of NT Ex he is. And he should not soon forget the fact that he is still an NT Ex whether he likes it or not and one who seems to want to be yet another front-running sorta' college football fan (which are a dime a dozen in the Lone Star State) with "only" the, uh, "2006 defending NCAA national champions" as his newly adopted team rolleyes.gif

It really is a lot easier (I presume) to follow an established winning program, but those who jump on the bandwagons of those kind of programs should also keep reminding themselves that those programs are not where they are now because they (out of the blue) and with their having gone to another school have suddenly jumped out of their own school's foxhole and jumped into another school's (foxhole). dry.gif

It's one thing for an alum to not be over-joyed with his alma mater's direction, but its another thing to diss the very school that once gave this young man a golden opportunity for a damn good education that most of us had to pay tuition out of our own pockets to attain.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Subject: UNT Returns 1,500 tickets To UT

North Texas returned 1,500 tickets from its allotment in the northwest corner of the stadum — seats that are now available for $50 each.

They’re available online at TexasBoxOffice.com or by phone at 471-3333 or 800-982-BEVO.

sad.gif

Not a surprise as most people do not want to travel to Austin to get beat 65-0 for $50 in crappy seats...no thanks...when we start competing or beating the big schools selling our allotment will not be a problem

Not a surprise as most people do not want to travel to Austin to get beat 65-0 for $50 in crappy seats...no thanks...when we start competing or beating the big schools selling our allotment will not be a problem

This to me is a circular argument. I've always believed, and preached to anyone who would listen from the time I was a student 'til today, that if you want a better product on the field you've got to put a better product in the stands. If our boys look up in the stands and see that few of us have made the trip (the short trip) to Austin it sends a message. It says "we don't believe you can win." If we don't believe they can win then why should they? On the flip side, if they look up there and see thousands of Mean Green faithful it says to them "we are behind you 100% and we believe."