NT quarterback spot up for grabs

green_goblin

NT Quarterback spot up for grabs

Shawn Edwards

Issue date: 8/3/06 Section: SPORTS

PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 1

A three-player battle is on for the Mean Green's starting quarterback position in the upcoming season.

Sophomore quarterback Daniel Meager started every game last season, passing for 941 yards with four touchdowns and eight interceptions. Meager missed a majority of spring football training in the offseason due to injury.

"I had a pulled [pectoral muscle] and had shoulder surgery," Meager said. "I feel fine now."

Matt Phillips was also worked into the passing game in the 2005 season, throwing for 448 yards with four touchdowns and five interceptions. Phillips looked strong in spring football and the sophomore has a chance to be the starter for the season opener against the Texas Longhorns on Sept. 2.

"Whoever comes and plays will have a chance," Phillips said. "We all bring something different. [We] just have to go out and compete."

The third quarterback getting snaps in practice is a new face at NT. Woody Wilson transferred from Coffeyville Community College in Kansas and finished the 2005 season with 910 yards passing, eight touchdowns and two interceptions.

"I have been hanging out with Daniel and Matt," Wilson said. "They have helped me a lot. We do film study and learn from each other. Each of us are different players and bring different things."

Offensive coordinator Ramon Flanigan sees potential for all three of the quarterbacks.

"If they are all being successful playing, then we'll play them all," he said. "If one of them separates himself, then we'll play the one that separates."

The Mean Green offense expects to produce much more than its season average of 14.3 points a game in 2005.

Returnees such as Johnny Quinn, the leading receiver the last three years, running back Jamario Thomas and all-conference guard Dylan Lineberry will make up the offensive core.

Flanigan said the key to a strong offense is "experience."

"The most important thing is our quarterbacks being more experienced, and our offensive line being experienced," Flanigan said. "There's no substitute for actual playing experience, and they got that last year."

The skills that Phillips and Meager have are comparable, with Meager getting the slight edge because of his quickness to get out of trouble. However, Phillips has got poise and seems to find the best receiving option, which I think makes him our best option. We'll need someone who can keep his head and find receivers quickly, especially in week one.

No mention of Prince, the JC transfer. Let's not forget the walkon from Celina, he had a great game in the THSCA all-star game.

I really don't think that Tune's going to get a chance at QB. I think they'll usher him immediately to the defensive side of the ball.

Is nobody giving Woody Wilson a chance in this whole discussion?  With the 8 and 9 man fronts we'll see this year we need a guy who can run for his life....TaDa Wooody Wilson!

WW has some speed and athletic talent. But if he keeps the ball and turns up field like he did in the spring (too much) then he will be hurt by Mr. Linebacker very early in the season. His arm is no better than the other two but he does have an element of quickness they don't. I see WR in his future.

WW has some speed and athletic talent.  But if he keeps the ball and turns up field like he did in the spring (too much) then he will be hurt by Mr. Linebacker very early in the season.  His arm is no better than the other two but he does have an element of quickness they don't.  I see WR in his future.

Why would he be more prone to injury at QB then at playing WR? RB? DE? OL? CB? SS? FS? LB?

I never understand the argument behind it. Mobile QB's are conditioned to take hits like any other skilled position player. If his throwing ability is on par with Phillips & Meager, then I say he has the advantage with his athletic ability.

Why would he be more prone to injury at QB then at playing WR? RB? DE? OL? CB? SS? FS? LB?

I never understand the argument behind it. Mobile QB's are conditioned to take hits like any other skilled position player. If his throwing ability is on par with Phillips & Meager, then I say he has the advantage with his athletic ability.

WW has the arm strength of the other two, but he is not as accurate as Phillips in my opinion. Most WRs are not tackled by linebackers but by smallish DBs, and not head on like a QB usually is hit. WW needs to take it to the sidelines when he is confronted as a QB; he'll learn that one way or the other.

We saw Meager and Phillips last year, and although they both showed glimmers, I'd still like to see Wilson against UT.  I'm intrigued by a QB that can run (which he'll have to).

What better way to see where he stands. Toss him into the fire!! smile.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

Then what does he have to do to lose it, b/c lasyt year was absolutely horrible and he still kept his job, here we go again with another long season.  sad.gif

You didn't see the LSU game I take it? Besides, tell me what player on either side of the ball was "absolutely great"?

It will be a battle between Phillips and Meager but Meager has the more experience. I'm discounting WW because he was a no show during voluntary workouts for most of the summer. Until I see him in August I can't make a judgement on how bad he wants the job or not.

Rick

I'm discounting WW because he was a no show during voluntary workouts for most of the summer. 

To be fair, I don't believe he was even in town for June. I saw him at the voluntary workout in early July, and he has been there with regularity since then.

It isn't THAT he turns it upfield, it is HOW he turns it upfield. Mobile QBs are trained to run for the sidelines, and then, if there is room, keep going upfield. That way, you know which direction a hit is going to come from, and can brace accordingly.

Wilson will pull it down and scramble towards the middle of the field, where a hit could come from anywhere. You can't brace for a hit you can't see. That is my worry.

if anyone is going to be utilized elsewhere it should me Meager. I would always prefer someone who has proven that they can play the position, but in this case I would rather go forward with the people who havent proven that they cant play. Wilson, Philips, The walk-on, a midget in a speedo... I havent watched any of these people play 10+ games and get to a staggering 941 yards. They are all, therefore, beter qualified to play QB than Meager

On Wilson's Team Dedication:

maybe he was in a super secret QB training facility durning voluntary workouts. Or maybe he was saving humanity or somthing. you dont know

Edited by bigrobdsp

We have to prob. have a two pronged attack in the beginning.  I know everybody hates the 2 quarterback scheme...but it make work if the qbs are night and day like Phillips and Wilson.  We have to give all these teams more to worry about...it can't just be Jamario.

--It can work but not if they do like TxTech did during the early 70's. One could throw well and one was almost another RB. The idiot TxTech coach of that time would send one of them in and the other team know exactly which type of play was coming. That will not work !!!!!

---Fry was using three QBs duirng the late 70's partially because of injuries and partially to confuse the opposition defence... Ray (from Midland) was the QB that defeated Tennessee. You can bet the Vols had not expected or prepared for him and UNT won. The best QB was injured somewhat (from Port Arthur) and there was another one who I considered on the level with Ray.. I think the injured QB actually played receiver or RB at times when Ray or the other one was at the QB position. Ray may have been the best passer of the three but was not very mobile but it worked.